(shouting)

Furi

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Furi

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Last edited by EllenHouraisan 2 years ago, edited 28 times in total.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Furi - I hear thunder, pitter-patter

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I love Furi and I'm so thankful it persisted in the Patreon polls as long as it did.

This is going to be a lesson in buttons and then some. I hope your reflexes are ready to be sharpened, raocow.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i was gonna say that "furi" should probably be pronounced like "fury" buuuuuuuut then the rabbit happened

anyhoo, assuming that we stick to one boss per episode including hard mode this'll take a little under a month i think?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Well I can tell this is definitely not the game for me, but I hope this LP goes well regardless.

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago i was gonna say that "furi" should probably be pronounced like "fury" buuuuuuuut then the rabbit happened
same lol
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I wanna say that the One More Fight dlc is *only* furier difficulty? That's not to say you have to beat furier to unlock it, but it's only one difficulty. Feel free to correct me!
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Nah, One More Fight has Furi or Furier mode. No Promenade.
The Secret Second More Fight is Furier only.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Ah yes, Furi. I played this a few weeks back. It's quite a game. I really enjoyed this game's aesthetics and especially music (they really went all in on getting in some heavy hitters in the synthwave scene, in particular Carpenter Brut). The difficulty, though, is very much there. It's intense. Sometimes that's good, but sometimes it's extremely frustrating (especially the

danmaku-heavy fights

). It got to a point where I did have to take the difficulty down a notch because I just wanted to finish (

though only at the True Ending Boss, which is all danmaku

). But still, it's a good game.

Furthermore, the game's character design was done by none other than Takashi Okazaki, the man behind Afro Samurai!

By the way raocow, important to note: Game autosaves at three points each stage: At the start of the stage before the fight, at the start of the fight, and immediately after the fight before you enter the next stage.
Grounder wrote: 2 years ago i was gonna say that "furi" should probably be pronounced like "fury" buuuuuuuut then the rabbit happened
I mean, it's just a hat...
anyhoo, assuming that we stick to one boss per episode including hard mode this'll take a little under a month i think?
That's assuming he'll do hard mode right away. I would be wary of making such assumptions, because even in normal mode, this game is really hard, and he may not want to replay the game right away because of that. Again, I had a lot of trouble, and I will say that I had a better grasp of the game at the start than raocow did in that first video. With that in mind, assuming he does not do an immediate replay...I suspect he'll finish on either

February 1 or 2

, so it won't be that long. Exact day will be dependent on if he

pulls a Hidden Sanctuary at a specific stage, or combines it with the next fight

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

thatguyif wrote: 2 years agoI mean, it's just a hat...
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

Saw this in my subs, always wanted to play this, turns out I have a copy, so now I'm playing each boss ahead of watching raocow. Liking it so far, kind of wish I bought the LRG version now (digital downloads make the experience feel cheaper to me).

I have issues with games having too many inputs and getting lost in the buttons, and I think that will be my biggest roadblock in the game. Still, games been pretty forgiving given its reputation, didn't die on first two bosses, so looking good!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

gotta wonder how lamp girl had so much trouble escaping, none of the walls in her cell seem very durable
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Re: Furi - A master of time, so they say...

Post by EllenHouraisan »

I realize now that this game gives me some big No More Heroes vibes. Not so much for the gameplay, but for the whole "fighting a bunch of colorful and strangely cryptic characters in sequence" thing. The art style helps too.

Old man's music is hella dope, gotta say.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I believe that boss wanted you to use more charge shots on the pillars and reflectors. I can't say if it would've been faster, but it definitely would've made for less bullets on screen, which in theory means less time spent actively dodging.
11clock

Post by 11clock »

Most of the bosses are pretty manageable (even the infamous last one only took me a few tries), but I had a lot of issues with

The Edge

. Took me a good 2 hours or so of attempts. I struggled a lot with melee in general, so a boss that focused on melee was incredibly painful for me.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

It doesn't entirely make sense, but when the Master of Time said you were fighting yourself, my first thought was that he was supposed to be an older version of your character since he looks similar to the Stranger and can manipulate time. His line about not being able to kill the Stranger would also work if he were talking to his younger self.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

the ring attacks feel like really cheap shots when at close range
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Re: Furi - Hope comes from the strangest places

Post by EllenHouraisan »

I really hope that the twist at the end is that underneath the bunny mask, with no explanation whatsoever, the guy turns out to be a big orange ape.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

just throws you against a wall and runs off
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

EllenHouraisan wrote: 2 years ago I really hope that the twist at the end is that underneath the bunny mask, with no explanation whatsoever, the guy turns out to be a big orange ape.
Well now I'm inevitably going to be disappointed by whatever the actual ending is.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Donut

Post by Donut »

Now that raocow has been condemned to Touhou Hell at some indeterminate point, I'm looking forward to five years in the future when we can look back and say this boss was training for this spell card:

But seriously the multi-ring attack immediately reminded me of this, even though I think Furi came out before Violet Detector.

I never played Furi, but I watched a full LP years ago so it's been nice to revisit it. If I recall, next fight is when things get really serious. Looking forward to it.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

shogun man sounds like he's going to narrate a wildlife documentary to me

also, worst take your child to work day ever?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Re: Furi - The things we do for love...

Post by EllenHouraisan »

I thnk raocow's problem with the stick waggle is that he doesn't hate his controller enough.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

So, I think I'll pop in here, since I haven't really discussed my own run and observations.

The stick waggle thing is a common problem. The idea behind it is a button mash prompt done on the twin sticks. An interesting concept that's poorly executed, though, because nobody would really consider waggling their sticks. Rotating could've worked better in this situation, honestly, but it is what it is. Given my crippled hands, what I did was, when I knew the prompt was coming, I'd put the controller down, place my palms on the sticks, and do the waggle there. With that, I cleared the prompt...maybe 80% of the time.

With that said...this fight was a "breather" bit for me because it was remarkably easy (took me, what, two tries?). And raocow got it so wrong.

The core lesson of this game and beating it is the refrain found in games like this: "Learn the patterns." raocow refuses to learn them. The reason raocow kept getting those stick waggle QTEs was precisely because he kept interrupting the combo this boss was doing. If he had been more patient, he would find the boss has a big ol opening after he completes his combo. The game makes a point of punishing/challenging you if you try to break a boss' combo. I learned that lesson quickly for this boss and took a stance of baiting him, which made the fight much easier. We've seen this issue with other bosses as well, and we will see this in future bosses too. Learn the patterns. This isn't Copy Kitty, where you can run your head into a brick wall repeatedly and mostly be fine.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast

Re: Furi - Just remember: she's messing with your head.

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Clingy angel lady is kinda like me, but less of a deviant and more of a butt.

And to be fair, there's like, nothing in that world she made. Just some floating islands and a tree. Not the easiest sell.
kitikami

Re: Furi - Just remember: she's messing with your head.

Post by kitikami »

Headon killing the next guardian on his own before they get a chance to talk to the Stranger is definitely suspicious when it comes right after noticing the Stranger showing hesitation for the first time.