(shouting)

A 2nd X Thing Gaiden 2 - Now Even MORE Festive!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: A 2nd X Thing Gaiden 2 - Now Even MORE Festive!

Post by Grounder »

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago today's episode had better be a boxing match

now, i have no idea how that would work with pily
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

oh one last thing actually
to those wondering how my interpretation of the tadpole treble composition kept drifting further away...
this is what it sounds like

enjl out! see you next year
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

man... you orgs stole my idea for "chill restaurant dev room"! you even actually implemented it!! for shame... for shame. you'll be seeing us in court. >:C /j

fr though this is very very adorable. i love it quite a lot. i love when there's cute little dev rooms that just... let you chill a bit. have a Vibe to them. they're more than just the devs. (&: And it's true! This place has the bartender from the town with no name!) and also, an in-game way to listen to the menu songs across the month??? is really good!!!

&: A silly anecdote. We initially asked Enjl if they wanted to say anything on Day 7, considering it was a joint level between the three of us (granted, at the time, he was under the impression it was two--just Cam and them). They declined, saying they had something in mind along with the organizers. Day 25 ended, and we were honestly wondering what that meant, as we didn't see a letter. ...talk about a pie on our face! It was the epilogue. (They also did, indeed, help a lot with the cutscenes!) ;P

and enjl--your omnipresence this year has been very silly but i am very glad you've been around to help out with these projects. take it from us, who have absolutely been on the internet for Too Long and heard others say "Hey do I know you???", that can be a curse, yes, but it can also totally be a blessing!

&: Calling it now, much like every Late 2000s animated kids film, the portal leads to Real Life New-York City.

thank you so much for to letting us contribute this game!

&: THANKS FOR PLAY
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Some epilogue notes:

The jukebox has different tabs for each group of music in the game: Calendar, Level, Cutscene, Boss, and one for all the A2XT Devkit music as a bonus. The Cutscene tab in particular includes an unused credits theme that SAJewers had earmarked around the same time I started working on an original track for the staff roll.

The "giant creatures" the Coco(a)s were referring to are Megahuge Pily and the E-M1KV, the implication being they recorded a video of the kaiju fight but it's in some proprietary video format that doesn't work well on other devices or whatever it is I wrote. That whole thing was a cheeky way of us saying "hey, we're not putting this game out for public release just yet, but we'll try and have it ready by late January!"

Some characters have extra dialogue when you talk to them a second time. The A2XT2 devkit supports changing the talk icon for NPCs, so we could technically set up Okami-style indicators that an NPC has more to say, but making that change and keeping track of whether the player's already talked to a character would have to be implemented manually for each conversation and I didn't bother with any of that. Folks will be able to read it all when the game is finally out for everyone, but in the meantime here's what they say:
Sturg:
"Sorry, you've used up all my extrovert energy today. We can chat next year maybe."

Serac:
"Run along now, Pily dear. I do appreciate the company, but I know you have other matters to attend to."

Garish:
"Have you reconsidered my proposal?" *Pily silently walks away again*
"Did they return your calls?" was a callback to this, and "That was two months - er, two weeks ago." was referencing this.

Chimata is probably gonna ditch Garish the moment she finds out he's taking interest in cryptocurrency. Because even if we didn't really include anything about that in his appearance here... c'mon. You know he would.

Tam is a major supporting character in A2XT Episode 2. Garish also mentions Brisket and Alabasta, two other characters who will have proper debuts in that game. For now, I'll just say that, as a reminder, this and the first A2XT Gaiden take place after A2XT2.

And... yeah. If there's going to be a Gaiden 3, I kinda hope it won't be next year because I'll be limiting my advent 2022 collab contributions to just guest music tracks and/or other small contributions. The one exception would be
if a Stuffed Animal Adventure Game 2 happens, I am down to do all the music again if need be. Only making this exception because GB Studio now has a built-in music editor.
With that said, to offer my 2 cents, if advent 2022 is all-digital again it'd be cool if
it were split up into mini-collabs in different engines. Give each niche in this fandom its own block of next December to shine instead of just one-off games as random gifts alongside an SMBX thing. Like, there could still be an SMBX project that has a few days to itself, but also a several-day SMW project, a ZZT project, Doom WAD, SRB2, Kirby's Dream Course, GB Studio, a Unity game, a short tabletop RP campaign... just, complete medium anarchy. All the Engines.
------------

Well, that's the game! Gonna record the full Hatsun fight video tomorrow and then probably start working on getting the soundtrack up on bandcamp. I'll post updates on those things here, along with other fun tidbits about public release prep, but otherwise that's it for my own dev commentary. Merry post-Christmas, and here's wishing everyone the best going into the new year!
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago With that said, to offer my 2 cents, if advent 2022 is all-digital again it'd be cool if
it were split up into mini-collabs in different engines. Give each niche in this fandom its own block of next December to shine instead of just one-off games as random gifts alongside an SMBX thing. Like, there could still be an SMBX project that has a few days to itself, but also a several-day SMW project, a ZZT project, Doom WAD, SRB2, Kirby's Dream Course, GB Studio, a Unity game, a short tabletop RP campaign... just, complete medium anarchy. All the Engines.
If this happens I will add DROD to this list and rope in the handful of other people here who know what that is.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 2 years ago
Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago With that said, to offer my 2 cents, if advent 2022 is all-digital again it'd be cool if
If this happens I will add DROD to this list and rope in the handful of other people here who know what that is.
LISTEN YOU KID. But we had an idea for a mini-hold where Uncle Broadsword is the protag. The only reason we didn't do it this year, aside from time, is just that we had no clue how to give raocow a copy of DROD short of just gifting the Steam version. Whenever Advent 2022 rolls around, if we decide to do either all-digital or maybe a digital-side or something, DROD: Uncle Broadsword's Adventures In The Eighth WILL happen and we will gladly pitch in
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years agoWith that said, to offer my 2 cents, if advent 2022 is all-digital again it'd be cool if
beep boop bippity bop. thread preview doesn't hide spoiler tags

Well, that gives me a nice deadline for Demo & Friends in Fire Emblem! I've had the idea in the back of my head ever since cow played Mario & Luigi and in doing so opened up the floodgates for RPGs.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago
With that said, to offer my 2 cents, if advent 2022 is all-digital again it'd be cool if
Oh, cool idea, count me in if that goes through! My whole plan for 2022 is learning Ren'py and getting into VN-making, so I could whip up a little story with Demo and Iris using it! (might do it either way, if there's a digital element to the advent.)
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

just realized i forgot to post the posters yesterday

and i also just realized the "yes we can" poster has a bit of an issue where it claims the workers have the holidays off but that is not true, as we have seen from the relay. gosh darn lying propaganda all the time
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years agoWith that said, to offer my 2 cents, if advent 2022 is all-digital again it'd be cool if
beep boop bippity bop. thread preview doesn't hide spoiler tags

Willing to make a small ARPG or Zeldalike in RPG Maker (raocow's mostly grown out of purely turn based affairs after all) and there are ARPG gameplay scripts for at least MV, I know a Barkley 2 shitpost game in the B2 Something Awful thread used one, but I'll need at least a character art spriter. If others with experience wish to help (YK wouldn't be interested, RPG Making is too much stress; Fogel would be busy with DROD) I'd be super thankful <3

I have experience in Zelda (1, 2, LttP, LA, OoT, MM), Okami (just the first one), The Frog for Whom the Bell Tolls, Crusader of Centy/Soleil, Ys (I-V, not Falcom!Celceta or Oath in Felghana though), Mana (Adventures, Secret, Trials, Legend and a few hours of Sword), Hydlide (all games except for the Windows version of 1), Crystalis, the Heaven and Earth Trilogy (SB, IoG, currently working on Terranigma, you figure it out if Granstream counts or not w), and I'm trying to trudge through Kingdom Hearts (1 and Re:CoM so far, started 2 again), so overworld exploration type ARPGs are a thing I have some idea of how to make em and what goes in the design of a good one.

I could make a Tales, SN Swordcraft Story or Star Ocean styled affair too if I put in the effort, I've seen people make Tales of Phantasia PSX/Destiny PSX style battles in one of the RPG Makers... But I think raocow would prefer on map battles over random encounters, too much editing out filler battles and they'd interrupt any sort of dungeon gimmick (if I make a puzzle I won't make them too hard dw).

And outside of that I just love making RPG maps and I actually bought RPG Maker XP so I could support the makers for giving me a good template to create little "miniature gardens" in. As for learning scripting, I own XP, so it's mostly an affair of learning the ropes of XP's scripting (Ruby I think?), and read others' code, like how I learned ASM and plan on learning SMBX. Gamedev >>>>>>>> traditional programming contexts ^^
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Hatsun video with the final part of the fight is up!

video description wrote:A showcase of a boss I made together with Enjl for the 2021 raocow advent calendar game, A2XT Gaiden 2. This video showcases the final part of the fight, which raocow managed to skip by finishing Hatsun off quickly enough.

This thing took me a lot of attempts to record -- initially I was trying to go for a damageless run of the fight, and every time it seemed like I would make it I got distracted, interrupted (thanks DriverFix, really appreciate you taking focus off the SMBX2 window there), or discovered a new glitch to fix for the eventual public release of this game and wow am I glad raocow didn't get it during his playthrough! By the time I got to the El Stomacho attack in this run I was ready to just be done with it.

Of note, an extra feature was added to the fight for the sake of making repeat attempts faster: the public release of the game will have a box in the starting hallway that disables mid-fight checkpoints. Nothing else about this fight was changed from when raocow played it, though I may add more config blocks later to allow for other kinds of difficulty tweaks.
The block in question:

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

crows and pigeons are friends

i'm glad canuck the crow is now canonically part of the demoverse
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

The soundtrack is live on Bandcamp and completely free (as in, you can't pay for it even if you want to)! It contains the 10 tracks made for the game by me, Catabo, and Rameau.

If the 200 free monthly downloads somehow all get used up, Camwoodstock and Tori have also set up MP3, OGG, and FLAC mirrors on MEGA that you can grab here:
https://mega.nz/folder/LhwiAYLK#RiZdtyGhFMO4rm4__FTuQw

I'll see about getting it up on archive.org or another site as well, and then I'll aim to have a youtube playlist for it in the first week of January.

camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago The soundtrack is live on Bandcamp and completely free (as in, you can't pay for it even if you want to)! It contains the 10 tracks made for the game by me, Catabo, and Rameau.

If the 200 free monthly downloads somehow all get used up, Camwoodstock and Tori have also set up MP3, OGG, and FLAC mirrors on MEGA that you can grab here:
https://mega.nz/folder/LhwiAYLK#RiZdtyGhFMO4rm4__FTuQw

I'll see about getting it up on archive.org or another site as well, and then I'll aim to have a youtube playlist for it in the first week of January.
pily can now be on your ipod! Yippie!!!

&: A bit of dev commentary (yes, even for a bundle of audio files)--I had this idea about halfway through the Advent, as just a fun bonus thing to include. The in-game sound test in the Epilogue area will, of course, still exist and include tracks that are NOT unique to CYBERDIGITAL A2XTG2. We hope y'alls enjoy it! <3
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

I mean, I was planning on releasing the music from the start, regardless of the sound test. Though discussing it with y'all in the spotzone was good for ironing out the specific approaches to releasing it, and you two volunteering to help with setting up the mirrors was a big help and very much appreciated!

Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Double-post bump to let everyone know the Youtube playlist is up!
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... d7ZLzwWvU7

Individual embeds:

Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

So, a few things.

First, I'll be adding the final fixes and bits of polish for the release build today! We still need to write up the release thread and do a few other things so the game isn't releasing today, but it should still be out by the end of the month.

Second, it turns out there was a mix-up regarding just how buggy the first game is! We were getting bug reports for the unpatched original version of SANICS, downloaded on Christmas day 2020 and left unpatched until yesterday. I've gone ahead and added a version number to this game's calendar screen to help avoid similar confusion when/if we do future updates.
(right up there in the top right corner)

Last but not least, about the SANICS patch... it turns out the file previously wouldn't extract properly as a zip (it was a 7z file that got renamed somehow.) Apologies for this! You can download the fixed zip from the OP of the SANICS release thread; I've asked WhimWidget to update the link in his post over there as well, but as of writing this he isn't online.