(shouting)

Bangai-O - A Hover Attack by Any Other Name

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Bangai-O - A Hover Attack by Any Other Name

Post by KobaBeach »

Okay so

Bangai-O, known as Bakuretsu Muteki Bangaioh (Explosive Invincible Bangaioh) is a shoot em up created by the geniuses at Treasure, for the N64 and later ported to the Dreamcast, where it received an English release in Europe (nice) and North America. The story, inspired by Yakuza revenge dramas, revolves around your father being beat up by the SF Cosmo Gang (no relation to Cosmo Gang: The Video), and you, as Riki Mashiki, along with help from your sister Mami, set off to enact revenge upon their assholeness with the powers of the Bangai-O mech, which was created off stolen data from the Cosmo Gang.

It's supposedly inspired by an old Sharp X1 and PC88 game called Hover Attack, which is super similar, but I seem to remember people being mixed up on whether it was Hover Attack or some other game? Like one of the devs came out and said which it was, I have no idea and none of my sources (HG101, Wikipedia) seem to be backing me up on the latter. Quite sus ඞ EDIT: I remembered, it was Kagirinaki Tatakai. Someone later came out and indicated Hover Attack.

This is basically the OG Copy Kitty, and as such expect a lot of videos of raocow screaming like a loon and failing to beat up bosses.

Video Index
1 - gunparade orchestra
2 - apocrypha getter robot [sic] dash
3 - maze the megaburst space
4 - blocker gundan 4 machine blaster
5 - robotech academy
6 - ghost in the shell: stand alone complex (how is this mecha)
7 - video warrior laserion
8 - planetary robot danguard ace
9 - m3 the dark metal
10 - immortal grand prix
11 - neon genesis evangelion
12 - fang of the sun dougram
13 - ssss.gridman
14 - the king of braves gaogaigar
15 - macross dynamite 7
16 - zoids wild
17 - heaven-piercing gurren lagann
Last edited by KobaBeach 2 years ago, edited 9 times in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Re: Bangai-O - A Hover Attack by Any Other Name

Post by camwoodstock »

ok but we NEED to ban this "gai-O" from the forums oh my gosh??? :O /j
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

token acknowledgement of the weird say the game is written

Is it supposed to look so washed out?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Peptobislawl
Is here for some reason

Post by Peptobislawl »

First big tip: the bangai-o explosion super is dependant on how close you are to being hit. The closer bullets are to you, the more massive the cluster of death you shoot.
I got an avatar.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago token acknowledgement of the weird say the game is written

Is it supposed to look so washed out?
scanning the longplay here

yeah, the game just kinda looks underwater
might be a biproduct of the game only rendering in 280p, even on hardware
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

weird
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

I wouldn't be surprised if this particular game was intentionally dark so that explosions would appear brighter making for a nice effect when playing on CRT screens.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Updated the OP so it's less placeholdery, I haven't played this game yet, despite my hype, so I didn't know a lot. This actually showed up mentioned in an episode of an AXN five minute show called Insert Coin, not sure if it was exclusive to Portugal, but it was one of the few shows I actually found interesting (because it was about video games) instead of being like about cop dramas or whatever like every single one of the channel's other shows. Suffice to say, I was surprised about seeing like Lost Vikings, Bangai-O, Oneechanbara (where I first heard about that series) and Leisure Suit Larry acknowledged by the unwashed masses of Portugal, and on TV no less.

Here's a passage of the Bangai-O wiki article that I found just now that does shine a bit of light on the differences between this and the N64 original:
The Dreamcast version of Bangai-O, released after the initial Nintendo 64 version, features significant differences in gameplay which results in a more streamlined experience. In the Dreamcast version, the bullets are stronger, and destroying objects and enemies refills the bomb attack meter instead of fruit which now only add to the player's score. The bomb attack also can no longer be charged to a specific number of missiles, but is dependent on the player's proximity to enemy projectiles. In the Dreamcast version, up to 400 missiles can be shot at once in comparison to 100 on the Nintendo 64. Also, the shop is removed. Instead, the game includes power-ups that can be found among environment wreckage. There are also other minor differences such as scoring differences and more structure and enemy types.
Makes one happy (the preservation of the N64 version's boxart, manual and whatnot aside) the Dreamcast release is somewhat more common than the N64 release (extremely not sure about the rarity of the Dreamcast version though, N64 was artificially made rarer by ESP), though both should be accurately emulated, if for anything, than preservation and the ability to create accurate scoring leaderboards amongst shmup enthusiasts.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Just as a bee tee dubs

A remake of Hover Attack will be released on Steam in November, so if you enjoy this a lot, consider adding Hover Attack Steam two you're queue. It is after all, an X1 and PC88 era game so expect Some Jank, maybe.
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

this game has some absolute sounds. just total noises i feel the effects of in my ears. the guy going "weew! weew!" better be in a talkhaus production someday

i hope core guy can become a lawyer. this is my comment about takeshi as raocow demands

adding onto a point by raocow, architecture is either a type of art or a type of engineering depending on who you ask and what kind of architecture it is. ik various types of architecture were covered in an art class i took in college so like it's legally at least partially an art

i saw some people say this lp has very 2010cow energy and honestly, yeah! and i mean that very positively all things considered, this is a fun time. i can't put my finger on why that's the case though?? is it the text in this game being very confusing?? is it the fact this is blind so this feels a lot more purely confusing on raocow's part?? is it the fact the game looks like it's poorly emulated when this is literally just how the game always looks, so i feel like a zsnes hud should just be in this games intro at every moment?? is it bc the games destruction mechanics kinda reminds me of copy kitty vaguely??
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago i saw some people say this lp has very 2010cow energy and honestly, yeah! and i mean that very positively all things considered, this is a fun time. i can't put my finger on why that's the case though?? is it the text in this game being very confusing?? is it the fact this is blind so this feels a lot more purely confusing on raocow's part?? is it the fact the game looks like it's poorly emulated when this is literally just how the game always looks, so i feel like a zsnes hud should just be in this games intro at every moment?? is it bc the games destruction mechanics kinda reminds me of copy kitty vaguely??
the dreamcast is made of the essence of children's hopes and dreams so every game in it has a positive nostalgic emotional aura to contrast with the nintendo 64's use of arcane magic in their silicon graphics workstations, why do you think people like marvel vs capcom 2 so much

i think this game and possibly kirby and gunstar heroes inspired copy kitty
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago
camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago i saw some people say this lp has very 2010cow energy and honestly, yeah! and i mean that very positively all things considered, this is a fun time. i can't put my finger on why that's the case though?? is it the text in this game being very confusing?? is it the fact this is blind so this feels a lot more purely confusing on raocow's part?? is it the fact the game looks like it's poorly emulated when this is literally just how the game always looks, so i feel like a zsnes hud should just be in this games intro at every moment?? is it bc the games destruction mechanics kinda reminds me of copy kitty vaguely??
the dreamcast is made of the essence of children's hopes and dreams so every game in it has a positive nostalgic emotional aura to contrast with the nintendo 64's use of arcane magic in their silicon graphics workstations, why do you think people like marvel vs capcom 2 so much

i think this game and possibly kirby and gunstar heroes inspired copy kitty
idk if this is intended but my takeaway from this comment is that dreamcast is light magic and n64 is shadow magic

also this game being like gunstar is 100% not coincidence i think, bangai-o is indeed a treasure game so even with how silly it is, ig nothing changes
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago idk if this is intended but my takeaway from this comment is that dreamcast is light magic and n64 is shadow magic
it absolutely is

saturn, system 32 and the model 1 are early attempts at harnessing the light magic, thus the saturn's strange architecture as our reality is by nature a negative reality, lockheed martin's involvement in virtua fighter was an attempt at slightly dying the purity with the dark energy of war and the united states military to properly manifest in our reality. the playstation is just sheer technology so it's element neutral, see: gustave xiii from saga frontier 2
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

so much happened today that watching this was reserved for brushing my teeth. invincible toothbrush crest-o

kinda amused and also intrigued that mr. raocow says that he genuinely forgot a bit of what happened last episode. i honestly did too aside from the green core dude who wants, nay, deserves to be a lawyer. i think this game just kinda concusses you after you power it down.

i do wonder if the pictogram lady has a different gag in Japan. like if she "speaks" other things. it's not exactly important but that's precisely the thing i am interested in

Cabbage of Destruction would make an incredible band name. either that or a hilarious D&D homebrew item. also that is a peak of raocow delight i don't think i've seen in a LONG while

literally it kinda amazes me how busted that the high-risk high-reward panic pomb attack really is. i low-key wonder if like they did that on accident or if this is 100% the intended application of they maneuver that it is your hard counter to any and all boss encounters. ig if this game were translated better i would know

from a stupid horse to an avian... yoshi sure has changed. granted another term for "stupid" is "bird-brain"

my big point of today: genuinely i do not think that this game was translated with an equal amount of effort across the board. i genuinely believe they prioritized menus first, then they prioritized the cinematic stuff, and then at the very bottom with like 27 random assorted entries between it and cinematic stuff, is literally all of the in game dialogue itself especially the hint system. it is hilarious but also the translation in some areas is just objectively worse then others and it's consistently the case that this happens?? and like it also really makes this game hilariously, probably more inaccessible if it were all on Japanese, bc a bit of this translation is... very overtly confusing and at best it just distracts you and at worst it actively feels like a sabotage against your understanding of the game. it would not surprise me if there are tutorials in this game that are just totally lost within the translation. it's very funny but also like i can't help but wonder if i am missing something with literally nearly every other line in the game
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago literally it kinda amazes me how busted that the high-risk high-reward panic pomb attack really is. i low-key wonder if like they did that on accident or if this is 100% the intended application of they maneuver that it is your hard counter to any and all boss encounters. ig if this game were translated better i would know
it was originally 100 bullets max in the n64 version, they bumped it up to 400 in the dreamcast version exclusively
camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago my big point of today: genuinely i do not think that this game was translated with an equal amount of effort across the board. i genuinely believe they prioritized menus first, then they prioritized the cinematic stuff, and then at the very bottom with like 27 random assorted entries between it and cinematic stuff, is literally all of the in game dialogue itself especially the hint system. it is hilarious but also the translation in some areas is just objectively worse then others and it's consistently the case that this happens?? and like it also really makes this game hilariously, probably more inaccessible if it were all on Japanese, bc a bit of this translation is... very overtly confusing and at best it just distracts you and at worst it actively feels like a sabotage against your understanding of the game. it would not surprise me if there are tutorials in this game that are just totally lost within the translation. it's very funny but also like i can't help but wonder if i am missing something with literally nearly every other line in the game
this was very much a fly by night job, the alien logo company at the start of the game literally just came out and announced they were translating bangai-o and record of lodoss war for the dreamcast according to the wikipedia page. localization quality just varied extremely wildly back in the day in terms of anime/manga and japanese video games like, people knew bits of japanese, but not enough to make good translations.

and in japan, english isn't the most spoken language, im willing to bet it's because of the differences in how the languages are structured and alphabets and whatnot, maybe this eye o mine could provide a more valid explanation, but a lot of japanese devs couldn't really speak english? a lot of them still can't and rely on translators.

standards in quality and professionalism were also not really a thing, so in the end, sometimes you'd get some good shit for the time like vagrant story and jeremy blaustein and ted woolsey's work, other times you'd get some dry stilted shit like wild arms 1, other times you'd get human sounding dialogue mixed with awkward "they said the thing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" humor and adlib laden stuff on working designs' end, other times you'd get absolute messes like wild arms 2, final fantasy vii and bangai o.
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

it does NOT shock me this game was translated by a company that wasn't associated with treasure, just at all. what does surprise me is that apparently, the company they outsourced that translation to, Conspiracy Entertainment, is the same company that would go down in infamy as one of the main shovelware publishers for the Wii, culminating in such gems as Ninjabread Man and Anubis II and Trixie in Toyland and the Elvis one.

what does surprise me were a few other localization changes that they made. some of these were quite sensible. some of them is the fact that the reason the games graphics are so dim is that in Japan and only Japan, the graphics are bright and saturated, and they then chose to dim literally everything for no discernable reason. tcrf has quite a bit on it but sadly i don't really have much on the "does the in-game tutorial make even anymore sense just at all" as Guess what the One Area they don't have documented is
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

the elvis one was Rock 'n' Roll Adventures.

i am like... partially certain the first stage is meant to be a nod to gunstar heroes? the main reason i am so hesitant is that in the PAL translation of this game there is literally zero reference to gunstar in the level name.

it is so strange seeing a game that literally makes stacked shots a game mechanic, especially in an era where games like realm of the mad god exist and one of the longest standing complaints about that game... IS the precense of stacked shots. maybe it's bc rotmg has permadeath whereas this game is literally infinite lives and infinite continues so you can like, proverbially "get away with it", but the contrast between havng people complained abt that stuff in rotmg for literal entire years and then in rolls bangai-o with "this is a game mechanic and also i'm going to call a 'plane' a 'plain'" is really funny to me specifically

holy cow it's the game over photography cat!!! whose name is yasuo. also he says senpai when he takes damages.

sometimes i wonder why games lack a quick restart function. today's second level is one of those times tbh. i do genuinely wonder if they ran this level by someone who wasn't the level designer bc like i don't know how the average person is expected to really... enjoy a level where softlocking is a thing in a retail game??? in a ROMHack you kinda generally set yourself up for it and it's the lay of the land but like this is a Genuine Retail Experience they do want you to pay for.

oh my god green orb guy finally became a lawyer <3

i don't even really have a big thing to say, mostly bc i feel like i'd be just repeating my 2 points above where i talked about how weird it is this game's design is. stacked shots and softlocking levels, just in a whole retail game, is simply put, a thing
moogy

Post by moogy »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years agosometimes i wonder why games lack a quick restart function. today's second level is one of those times tbh. i do genuinely wonder if they ran this level by someone who wasn't the level designer bc like i don't know how the average person is expected to really... enjoy a level where softlocking is a thing in a retail game??? in a ROMHack you kinda generally set yourself up for it and it's the lay of the land but like this is a Genuine Retail Experience they do want you to pay for.
If the game had been properly translated, this part might have come across better. The dialogue in that level is meant to be a conversation about how there will be situations where you're left unable to proceed with a level, leaving you with no recourse but to go to the pause menu and exit the level, and to blame the developers for this. Mami's line at the end is meant to be accusing the developers of running from their responsibility.

While it doesn't necessarily make it okay to design a level around softlocks if you lampshade it, it was explicitly lampshaded by the developers; they knew exactly what they were doing and poked fun at themselves over it. (The "inventive troop" referred to in the English text is a mangled translation of 開発陣, the term for a software development team in Japanese.)

The localization of Bangai-O is really deplorable and ruins a lot of imo genuinely amusing humor, muddying the game's tone in addition to just making basic gameplay conceits harder to understand. I played through the entirety of the Japanese version yesterday, so I'll probably continue to comment on particularly egregious mistranslations like this.

In general, you can assume that literally every single line of dialogue was mistranslated. I'm not kidding.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

moogy wrote: 2 years ago I played through the entirety of the Japanese version yesterday, so I'll probably continue to comment on particularly egregious mistranslations like this.

In general, you can assume that literally every single line of dialogue was mistranslated. I'm not kidding.
oh oh oh please do
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

moogy wrote: 2 years ago
camwoodstock wrote: 2 years agosometimes i wonder why games lack a quick restart function. today's second level is one of those times tbh. i do genuinely wonder if they ran this level by someone who wasn't the level designer bc like i don't know how the average person is expected to really... enjoy a level where softlocking is a thing in a retail game??? in a ROMHack you kinda generally set yourself up for it and it's the lay of the land but like this is a Genuine Retail Experience they do want you to pay for.
If the game had been properly translated, this part might have come across better. The dialogue in that level is meant to be a conversation about how there will be situations where you're left unable to proceed with a level, leaving you with no recourse but to go to the pause menu and exit the level, and to blame the developers for this. Mami's line at the end is meant to be accusing the developers of running from their responsibility.

While it doesn't necessarily make it okay to design a level around softlocks if you lampshade it, it was explicitly lampshaded by the developers; they knew exactly what they were doing and poked fun at themselves over it. (The "inventive troop" referred to in the English text is a mangled translation of 開発陣, the term for a software development team in Japanese.)

The localization of Bangai-O is really deplorable and ruins a lot of imo genuinely amusing humor, muddying the game's tone in addition to just making basic gameplay conceits harder to understand. I played through the entirety of the Japanese version yesterday, so I'll probably continue to comment on particularly egregious mistranslations like this.

please genuinely share your comments about these translations! i want to hear a LOT about this game's localization, or lack of a proper one as the case may be. i started commenting abt it just as a "teehee that's kinda silly!" but like the longer this LP goes the more apparent it is that this game's localization is just an absolute rabbit hole of strangeness (as if this game itself isn't already kind of a rabbit hole as-is apparently) and having the information of what the text originally was MEANT to say is like, kinda paramount info that tcrf just decided to not document. it also is, in fairness, kinda silly

also it is 100% baffling to me that, evidently, the developers 100% knew deliberately softlocking the level was a bad thing, but instead of just implementing a "retry" button on their pause menu thought it'd be better to joke abt it??? like??? They Knew??? wh :aliceko:
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

the more this lp goes on the more bangai-o just feels like a campy b-movie if you gave it video game form and i kinda adore it for that

"i don't even know what you're SAYING anymore" ~raocow, having officially stopped comprehending bangai-oisms. i have genuinely NO IDEA what this hint was meant to be and i am indeed going to operate under the assumption it is mistranslated from SOMETHING. was it about the unfinished lasers??? it feels like it probably involved those unfinished lasers. i'm going to page moogy about this and more (read: bring attention 2 it all in this thread)

sabu will be real in 53 minutes!!! after he blew up multiple times!!! why is his survival surprising to us!!! also literal typo from the blue hair guy i forget the name of because he says "but" but the translator literally forgot the t at the end so he says "bu". magnificent job here

i literally could not even BEGIN to try to understand the fake(?) dad exchange. do not even try asking me i don't think a single element of sense-make survived conspiracy entertainment's translation job just there. honestly i think a lot of this game's translation sucking beyond recompense makes... way too much sense when you consider it's conspiracy entertainment, the same team that enabled data design by publishing such gems as The Same Game 4 Times For Nintendo Wii.

I WANTED TO HEAR NAPOLEON'S STORY HELLO??? like c'mon idk if they were just limited by who-says-what in the original but like still. also i am so glad to see raocow shoot a car and obliterate it and say it's just a thing. why is there a car in the kosmo gang's space station hideout place zone palace. just like a normal dang car. it's the same energy as the petscop car theory i think. more series need cars where they absolutely do not belong.

koa mi's gender is trans and there is NOTHING you can do about it. :trans_pride: also did blue hair kid literally do the thing where raocow assumes the green orb is automatically takeshi but like he unironically thinks that???

evidently this game difficulty is just... all over the place i think? because like you have to BASICALLY figure out everything from scratch so the first few levels are really hard. then you figure out the mechanic of retaliation with your bangai-o blasts and you just literally steamroll everything for a few levels. then the game throws several marathon levels at you and also a level where if you screw up you have to either get yourself obliterated and use one of your infinite continues or pause, exit the stage, and then re-enter the stage. and then after that is just a level that is 1 boss that is literally just a big setup for max-power bangai-o blasts for you to flatten him. and then it's back to maze gauntlets with a side of softlock potential. based on this, i can fully assume that whenever we get to the the final stage of this game, raocow will either take 5 minutes or 5 entire hours to beat it and there is NO middle ground i don't think
moogy

Post by moogy »

Comments about the story in today's video:

Level 14: The "tutorial" is M-ko introducing some irrelevant message from a fan and saying that they were obligated to do so since they were running a campaign. The fan name here is listed in the credits so it might have been something that happened in real life? Or just more meta humor.
The running joke with Sabu is that he keeps being reused and acting like he's a new opponent, the translation seems to have more or less gotten this across.

Level 15: The tutorial is mostly intact... I guess. "Daughter" at the end is just 娘 being taken too literally, it's just a general term for a girl in this case.
There is no real context for your dad deciding to fight you, he just kind of does since you're getting too strong. Roll with it I guess. The robot he uses is named トチコロガシーカスタム (Tochikorogashi Custom) in the original, tochikorogashi referring to an unscrupulous business practice where you buy up cheap land and resell it multiple times between affiliates in order to drive up the price. All of the boss robots are named after stuff the Yakuza are known for in the original. Translation of this one just seems random.

Level 16: Riki saying that W-ko looks just like her sister is an intentional joke in the original. W-ko herself is some sort of priestess who practices kuchiyose, a way of communicating with spirits wherein the practitioner allows themselves to be possessed and act as their mouthpiece. This becomes another running joke throughout.
I don't think it's actually possible to wall yourself in this stage, but it's meant to be annoying and make you go back and forth unless you know the route ahead of time. Game design. Gameplay tip:

You can do a super inside of the flames from the flamethrowers. There are so many hitboxes intersecting that you're basically guaranteed to get the maximum 400, so flamethrowers end up feeling more like a way of aiding the player than a threat.

The boss's name here is コア美 in the original. They basically took common endings for Japanese given names and attached "core" to the front to make the names for the core bosses; definitely something that could have been localized better. Riki saying that "you must be on your guard" isn't actually addressed to someone else, it's just him saying コイツぁ油断できねぇ!, which is roughly something like "can't let our guard down around this one." Mami saying "sorcery and witchcraft are all around us" is 妖気が、邪気がうつるわ! -- she's telling Riki not to get close to her, since he might pass the evil forces/bad vibes/whatever to her like you would a cold.

As it turns out, you unlock invincibility after beating the game, so it's pretty easy to compare all of the dialogue like this.

(Does Ghost in the Shell actually count as a mecha series...?)
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

I originally only watched part 1, but the fascinating discussion on localization has inspired me to pick back up watching this series, and boy howdy.

I don't have anything after that. Just boy howdy.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Catabo wrote: 2 years ago I originally only watched part 1, but the fascinating discussion on localization has inspired me to pick back up watching this series, and boy howdy.

I don't have anything after that. Just boy howdy.
the bangai-o experience: either you're left speechless, or your speech has been so thoroughly mangled in translation that you may as well be speechless
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

wow i realized i forgot to post my post yesterday. i am so very smart! i dont really have 2 much to say in fairness even with today tho (tho idk if that's bc i genuinely don't have anything to say or if it's just that the past few days have totally Drained me of ability to fathom things), So:

so we've fought the game over cat photographer, we've fought not-ultraman... i wonder if we're gonna fight the guy standing in the stage select next, or maybe the title screen logo.

okay but like why DID that message end with a comma if it wasn't gonna say more because even though i know people do it as a joke nowadays this was definitely not the case in the n64 days so what's the deal,

anyhow, it is extremely telling that raocow has been left to wonder if there's meant to be story progress and it's just getting mangled in translation, or if this is just meant to be more humor. i think that's pretty emblematic of the absolutely terrible translation job that's gone down here. i assume the plot is MEANT to kinda run off dream logic already as-is but then the lack of proper translation OF that dream logic just turns it into absolute lunacy not meant for mere mortal nor men to comprehend