(shouting)

Celeste: Farewell - Au Revoir

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
dtsund

Re: Celeste: Farewell - Peace out

Post by dtsund »

Ghost Trick never actually ended, once again we end right before a chapter break

Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

dtsund wrote: 2 years ago

Ghost Trick never actually ended, once again we end right before a chapter break

A different flavour of 'dying before the end'; nothing more, nothing less.

I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

since sissel is immortal he goes on to be madeline's pet cat after a while, making celeste canon to the ghost trick cinematic universe

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Donut

Re: Celeste: Farewell - Sayonara

Post by Donut »

Spoilers for the future:
Given raocow's controller has been giving him issues on diagonals, I'm slightly worried what will happen once wavedashing is introduced. Even on keyboard it took me quite a while to gain any sort of consistency on the tech, and a temperamental joystick might cause things to go poorly. I suppose we'll just have to see what happens.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Now that I think about it, I wonder if clouds would be easier to time if they have a visual guide that shows the extent they wobble, similar to line guides for other objects.

The up boost with the jellyfish makes you feel like it doesn't always work; if it didn't, it means the dash missed the jellyfish or the grab button was re-pressed too late. There is an alternative technique that's optional:

holding down while letting go of grab releases the jellyfish without tossing it forward, so that it's reliably above you.

Crow

Re: Celeste: Farewell - Bon voyage

Post by Crow »

the real la-mulana starts here!!
Dragooner

Re: Celeste: Farewell - Bon voyage

Post by Dragooner »

The best TUUUUNE starts here!!
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Celeste: Farewell - Tot ziens

Post by 10204307 »

This section's music might be the best song in the entire game.
Crow

Post by Crow »

i think the song for the last section is my favorite but this one's also fantastic

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

God damn this game is just so good. You don't play for a while and you forget just how perfect every aspect of this game truly is. Strong contender for my favourite game of all time. I really need to do a second plathrough soon.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I also thought that wavedashing was the same thing taught by the bird in Core C-Side (Chapter 8), and that the .ppt explaining it was a refresher. But they're actually different. Apparently the technique taught in 8-C is called a "hyper", which is initiated from the ground, while the wavedash is initiated from the air. Or at least that's what I think the difference is.
raocow at 7:44 in the video wrote:Canonizing speedrunning tech is certainly an idea.
The developers' love for speedrunning is obvious in the design of this game. But is wavedashing considered "speedrunning tech" in the sense that it was an unintentional glitch/exploit that was discovered and then used by speedrunners? Or was it intentional from the beginning? I mean, if it was developer-intended but they wanted it to be discovered and then used by speedrunners of the game, then I think that's really really cool.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The wavedash is something that feels bad when it doesn't do what you want but is very cool when you succeed in it to clear the obstacle, and not only that, as you keep playing around with the wavedash it just feels fun and satisfying to execute.

I found that when I'm not sure how to pull it off, it helps me to think of it in discrete steps. I would count beats and on each beat insert a button input: dash at 1st and jump at 2nd beat. (Sometimes I also count 0th beat for the initial hop.) A key point was that after the hop I was tempted to wait until I was about to land before dashing, but that's not how it works. You need to snap down with a dash from above.

The heart barrier before the wavedash tutorial has the same requirement as entering 8B: hearts from A-side levels and from (beating) preceding B-side levels. This is because 7B introduces dash wall jump and Farewell expects you to know that move. It is possible to skip the barrier before it crashes down if you use advanced dash moves.
PSI Ninja wrote: 2 years agoI also thought that wavedashing was the same thing taught by the bird in Core C-Side (Chapter 8), and that the .ppt explaining it was a refresher. But they're actually different. Apparently the technique taught in 8-C is called a "hyper", which is initiated from the ground, while the wavedash is initiated from the air. Or at least that's what I think the difference is.
I would consider them fundamentally the same technique. It's just that it's easier to regain your dash post-jump if you start the dash from the air, which is why in the tutorial the intended method is to hop first. There's also the fact that in chapter 8 you don't regain the dash upon landing, so that element wasn't important there.
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

It’s interesting to me that raocow has problems with corner boosts but got wavedashes down almost immediately, because for me it was the exact opposite in my first playthrough of Farewell. It took me absolutely ages to just get past the last part of the wavedash tutorial, and anything involving chaining them together I could never really get any consistent at. Which makes me kind of confused how I’m suddenly not having any real issues with them this time around, since it’s not like the rest of the game gives you any real practice with them.
helucard

Post by helucard »

It is unfortunate, but I think this has basically forever cemented in my decision to pass on this. I don't think I have the mental fortitude required to even attempt this level of movement tech. Like, all my respect to people who can do wavedashes and corner-boops, but it's not for me.

That said, I'm eagerly glued to the screen to see where this goes.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Re: Celeste: Farewell - Hasta la vista

And there we go, that’s Farewell finished for me again. Total death count this time was

, compared to

the first run. The replay has definitely cemented this as one of my favourite platformers of all time.
Even got the moon berry this time around, which I didn’t the first time. Really fun challenge, although not nearly as hard as I had imagined; I still think the last room of 7C is by far the most difficult thing in the game. Really happy there’s that extra checkpoint during the ascent after the main path, though, or I’d have been very sad when I died to the spike blocks there.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Did you take another look at 7C after Farewell released? Some C-side levels were made noticeably easier around that time.
Crow

Post by Crow »

ano0maly wrote: 2 years ago Did you take another look at 7C after Farewell released? Some C-side levels were made noticeably easier around that time.
i know for certain the room in 3C that activated despaircow was made easier and i think it was for the best 'cause that room always sucked
a few other rooms were modified in ways i don't think they really "needed" to be but they aren't changes for the worse either so w/e
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

ano0maly wrote: 2 years ago Did you take another look at 7C after Farewell released? Some C-side levels were made noticeably easier around that time.
I just finished up replaying the entire game, and as far as I can tell, the only thing that has changed in 7C since my first playthrough was that a wall of spikes was added to prevent you from skipping a corner boost, so if anything I think that level was made slightly harder.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The thorn tunnel at the end of 7C has been widened, giving you more leeway with your positioning there.

Other notable changes:
The last part of 3C now has two dash crystals at a gap where previously there was one, so you don't need to bounce on Oshiro to cross that gap.

5C has a blatantly visible alternate path added at the start of the last room, where you can use red bubbles to take the easy way and avoid a tricky wall jump. The original path is now for speedrunners.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Celeste: Farewell - Sampai jumpa

Post by 10204307 »

It's very fortunate that you stopped on that particular screen. It will be nice to have a good amount of time allocated for it.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

all this time I've been doing boops wrong. In fact every successful boop up to now, at least in farewell, has been accidental.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
helucard

Post by helucard »

raocow wrote: 2 years ago all this time I've been doing boops wrong. In fact every successful boop up to now, at least in farewell, has been accidental.
wait, what? There's another way to do them? It looks like a rather singular method of Boost Up, Jump Off Corner (possibly with directional input?) ... So are they still as picky in their narrow timeframe?
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

see the thing is, I never purposefully did the 'jump' part

it was either accidnental due to me pressing jump by virtue of being in the air, or just kinda instinctual

so this is why the first few times I'd do a room it'd go okay, but once I stopped running on instinct it.... didn't
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Do note that it doesn't have to be a corner; it can be anytime on the wall. But the game likes to use tiny wall pieces where it basically becomes a corner jump.