(shouting)

Spyro (2) - Rutabaga's Revenge

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Paragraph

Re: Spyro the Dragon - g'nefarious g'knaves (and their g'boss)

Post by Paragraph »

Cyril wrote: 2 years ago spyro 1 is the best of the trilogy because the vast majority of what the sequels add makes the games worse for having those new things
fart button'd
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

this game was alright.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Still love Spyro 1 to bits. It was very god for the time, still great now.

The postgame level's pretty cool. It is annoying to chase the thief in the flaming cave, but that's the last bit of challenge out there; the rest is just unwinding from a 100% playthrough, and that's just a good reward for all of it.

This isn't my favorite of the trilogy, as that would go to Spyro 3, but this game was a brilliant start, and spawned two more truly wonderful titles people adored. I'm glad when a game series has a successful trilogy... that makes me happy. And the first one, while simplified in comparison to the next two, is still absolutely a grand experience that's a good time for many people. It's one of my favorite games for a reason.

Well, time to enjoy a frog next time, and I have no idea what that might mean. Good.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Re: Spyro the Dragon - filthy rich? try Gnasty rich

Post by Catabo »

It can't be overstated how incredible it is that cowman unlocked Gnasty's Loot immediately after the last dragon. For many, this was the reward at the end of a long struggle to do something no game had so blatantly asked of them before: 100% completion. And what a reward it is! A flight level that's just a level instead of being a time-attack thing!

There's a sort of "soft" flight here where you can only fly as high as you've been in the level, and I love it. Wouldn't really make sense for the regular game, but for the bonus level it's great! It's a puzzle in the same vein as the whole puzzle of "how do I get to x place in the level" discussed last video. I only wish the gems were a little less inflated so there was even more raw treasure to collect throughout the entire place. But I must admit, it's hilarious to get 1000 gems all at once in Gnasty's personal room.

Today's music: a remix of Gnasty's theme that goes in a more jubilant direction! Good music to go YAHAHAHAHA GET ALL THE TREASURE!!! to. The electric piano even gets to go brrrRRRIIIIIIIING just like the organ! It's great!

And yeah. This level is why the one dragon refers to the total amount of treasure as "12000... or was it 14000" at the start of the game.

In conclusion: I have to give Spyro credit for admitting Gnasty to be a worthy adversary. Begrudgingly, but I give it.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Plutia in the spotzone had been doing this cool "alternate universe spyro" thing where she tried to recreate the YouTube thumbnails as best as possible, as if raocow had played the Reignited version instead. Thought it would be cool to crosspost these here, so that more people can see them. Again, Plutia gets all the credit.
Episode 1 - what's goin' on here (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 2 - listen, learn, read on (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 3 - strange kind of woman (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 4 - ramshackle man (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 5 - bird has flown (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 6 - high ball shooter (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 7 - call of the wild (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 8 - rat bat blue (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 9 - flight of the rat (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 10 - any fule kno that (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 11 - river deep – mountain high (cover) (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 12 - we can work it out (cover) (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 13 - love don't mean a thing (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 14 - nasty piece of work (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 15 - burn (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 16 - clearly quite absurd (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 17 - living wreck (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 18 - loosen my strings (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 19 - girls like that (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 20 - cascades: i'm not your lover (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 21 - wasted sunsets (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 22 - and the address (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 23 - knocking at your back door (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode 24 - doing it tonight (Original size)
ImageImage

Episode FINAL - 25 - loosen my strings (Original size)
ImageImage
As for my own Spyro experiences, I don't have much to recount. I got the PS1 game soon after it came out, but could never beat it because it gave me motion sickness. For some reason, PlayStation 3D platformers like Spyro, Jak and Daxter, and Ratchet & Clank usually make me feel sick when playing them, while Nintendo 3D platformers never do. I even got some headaches while watching these videos. It sucks
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Will Catabo continue updating the thread?
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I'd like to see a post or something before promoting the thread up again
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

Welcome to Spyro 2... or Spyro (2): Ripto's Rage!, as the side of the box calls it. I have much less to say about this game than I did about Spyro 1, but there are still a few things that jump out: namely that this game is a sort of refinement of all the concepts we've seen in Spyro 1. On one hand, it's wonderfully polished; on another hand, I can't help but feel that the Spyro gameplay has been tamed in a way that makes me wistful for the original. In what way? We'll soon see as the series goes on.

Even though the action roll move from Spyro 1 is sadly gone, the L1/R1 buttons still have a very subtle difference from L2/R2: if you hold both L1 and R1 at once, it will immediately centre the camera while locking Spyro's movement. If you do the same with L2 and R2, it will still right the camera but not lock his movement.

The fact that climbing ladders is a special ability that must be learned made me retroactively notice that there were no ladders in Spyro 1, only whirlwinds and the occasional stairs. It's a weird case of a thing usually thought of as mundane becoming exotic in a game.
ano0maly wrote: 2 years ago Will Catabo continue updating the thread?
Busy day today! I decided to just leave it up to whether people decided to start a new thread or continue using this one rather than worry about pre-formatting it for Spyro 2.
PSI Ninja wrote: 2 years ago Plutia in the spotzone had been doing this cool "alternate universe spyro" thing where she tried to recreate the YouTube thumbnails as best as possible, as if raocow had played the Reignited version instead. Thought it would be cool to crosspost these here, so that more people can see them. Again, Plutia gets all the credit.
And yo, thanks for sharing this! I forgot to say something about it back then but that's some excellent attention to detail!
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
tirakai

Re: Spyro (2) - Ripto's questionable title stylization

Post by tirakai »

Personally I dislike minimaps and actively turn them off unless it's absolutely necessary (like for or certain types of stealth).

I find they're often a bit too useful, to the point where I spend more time looking at the minimap than the proper screen and end up not appreciating or learning the environments themselves as much. In the past I've finished a couple games thinking I really didn't ever learn my way around or take in the sights properly since I was so trained in on the minimap, so since then I've always tried to play without and find I enjoy games more that way.
KobaBeach

Re: Spyro (2) - Ripto's bizarre title stylization

Post by KobaBeach »

Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

ripto?

more like ripped a fart 8-) 8-) 8-)
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
EllenHouraisan
Cat llama enthusiast
First name: Iris
Pronouns: she/her

Post by EllenHouraisan »

I had no idea there was a minimap. Not that it's necessary at all for a game like this, but it's an interesting thing to find out.
:trans_pride: :bi_pride:
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

I'm not quite as fond of Ripto's Rage as I am the original, but it's definitely still a good game, and I still have vested interest in following through it here and in the spotzone. So then, onto the first level!

It's a touch strange how you're just thrown into the first actual level of the game, given that wasn't a trend until quite a few years later, but it's fine. Glimmer's more than gentle enough for an introduction, considering there's only one actual hazard in the level, being the large... ogres? Calling those Gnorcs feels a bit wrong.

Yes, it doesn't sit well with me either that you're immediately blocked off from 100% completion by a ladder.

Unless you decide to say nuts to that, and pull off a precise superglide up to the other superglide station. It's obviously not intended.

Quite annoying.

I never did feel the need to use the minimap, but I can see it really helping out here.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

raocow wrote: I don’t like this cat.
raocow can tell the future.

Also, ¿were they too cheap to buy Elora & Hunter’s voice actors pop filters when recording their lines for the opening cutscene or is that just the sound compression?

I’m mixed on Spyro 1 vs. 2. On 1 hand, Spyro 1 felt like ’twas the same thing o’er & o’er to the point that I was mo’ impatient for the game to finally end than its sequels & that, despite playing it as much as its sequels, I find it harder to remember its levels ’cause they all sort o’ blur together. On the other hand, Spyro 2’s ways o’ adding variety are lame minigames, like this repetitive meatball-throwing minigame that drags on way too long ( ¿does the player really need to do it 6 times? ) & wastes your time making you replay large parts o’ levels ’cause o’ unlockable moves. What we’ve seen in the 1st video is the tip o’ the iceberg. That said, much like DK64, Spyro 2 ’s mo’ memorable, e’en in its obnoxiousness. For both good & bad reasons, I can distinctly remember pretty much all its levels. I’m not going to lie: watching raocow play this will be much funner than watching Spyro 1 just to see the ways Spyro 2 trolls him.

I think I have to give the point to Spyro 2, ’cause it has

trouble with the trolly, eh

, which, in contrast to its notoriety, is the 1 minigame I liked in this game.

That said, I think the 1st game in general had the best music, as for some reason 2 & 3 add annoying sound effects to a lot o’ the songs & many o’ the level themes are very cliché & stereotypical. I certainly like many o’ the songs in this game — & in fact, I think “Metropolis” has my favorite Spyro song; but for every “Metropolis” there’s a “Colossus”, featuring some white guy moaning jibberish as a fake Buddhist chant & what sounds like somebody tossing & turning on a mattress with bad springs.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

you can tell raocow has never played a Spyro game aside from Spyro 1 before because he doesn't immediately viscerally hate and despise the existence of Moneybags upon seeing him. growing to hate Moneybags is like a rite of passage as far as i'm concerned
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Helpful secret 100% tech from the manual I'm gonna post in a spoiler before somebody posts it outside of one:
If you hold all four shoulder buttons Sparx'll point at any gems you might be missing. Great for those "I missed like two gems in a corner" moments
It is absolutely not required - I don't remember if I've ever seriously used it - but it's quite helpful and to my recollection is never mentioned in-game?

Also yeah this series is basically DKC in terms of people's favorites/rankings/whatnot.
-1 lays down a foundation of pure platforming that 2 and 3 build on
-All three of them are good, any possible order is completely reasonable
-Everything past the first three is ???
The parallels are striking
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago you can tell raocow has never played a Spyro game aside from Spyro 1 before because he doesn't immediately viscerally hate and despise the existence of Moneybags upon seeing him. growing to hate Moneybags is like a rite of passage as far as i'm concerned
This is from the leaked Spyro 3 prototype but
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 2 years ago
camwoodstock wrote: 2 years ago you can tell raocow has never played a Spyro game aside from Spyro 1 before because he doesn't immediately viscerally hate and despise the existence of Moneybags upon seeing him. growing to hate Moneybags is like a rite of passage as far as i'm concerned
This is from the leaked Spyro 3 prototype but
spyro 3 prototype my beloved. that thing is so funny to me
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

There seems to be no indication that the lizards stealing the gems were anything but manual laborers. Spyro was basically hired as a union-busting goon for their supervisors, who we can see were already attacking them even before Spyro showed up.

So far this just feels like a weird capitalist fairy tale in general. Like even more than the first game where the main premise was freeing the imprisoned dragon-barons while retrieving their hoarded wealth that had been distributed among the general populace.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

kitikami wrote: 2 years ago There seems to be no indication that the lizards stealing the gems were anything but manual laborers. Spyro was basically hired as a union-busting goon for their supervisors, who we can see were already attacking them even before Spyro showed up.

So far this just feels like a weird capitalist fairy tale in general. Like even more than the first game where the main premise was freeing the imprisoned dragon-barons while retrieving their hoarded wealth that had been distributed among the general populace.
spyro is also a young child, like early teens according to wikis i've read? so feel free to include child labor under that
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

i somehow Forgot how weird the stage intro/outro cutscenes were in this game. i remembered a FEW of them were odd but like... some of these feel outright like they simply do not wish to tell you what is happening and are just incomprehensible as even an establishing thing.

and yes, if my memory's right, it WILL get weirder.

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago Image
raocow did say he doesn't want hunter to talk to him like a baby. well... be careful what you wish for n~yoron
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

The Spyro 2 cutscenes for the levels are definitely a bit out there. There's versions where Elora narrates them, but those were ultimately removed from the final version. I don't personally mind too much, but there are those who do in some fashion.

Colossus is pretty straightforward in general. The enemies are a bit tougher than in Glimmer, but still not much of a challenge at all. The hockey minigame and the statues are some of the highlights of the level, and they just take a bit of time to do.

Speaking of hockey, raocow definitely had an easier time than I remember having (not that I struggled here that much, regardless).

It's enough so that raocow got one of the hidden Skill Points, which you can tell you've gotten by the extra life you get. They're more clearly indicated in the remake.

More on the Summer Forest hub when it gets fully explored/I remember things about it.

....I forgot about the yeti being a chump. That's pretty dumb in a great way.
(It was about time)
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

kitikami wrote: 2 years ago There seems to be no indication that the lizards stealing the gems were anything but manual laborers. Spyro was basically hired as a union-busting goon for their supervisors, who we can see were already attacking them even before Spyro showed up.

I have vague recollections of something later on that fits into this.

There's two stages with some kind of conflict going on between them, and you help one side in one stage and the other side in the second stage. I'm pretty sure you do nothing to resolve whatever's driving the conflict in either stage.

Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!