(shouting)

Star Fox 64 - There's Still Time To Change The Road You're On

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Paragraph

Re: Star Fox 64 - You'll Find that the Squeeze Won't Turn Out So Bad

Post by Paragraph »

MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 2 years ago Image

I think raocow has managed to used the brakes all of zero times outside the tutorial.
Shooting those missiles is ten times easier when you aren't plowing right into em' is all I'm saying. :slow:
At least he doesn't forget about the mechanic, he just keeps boosting instead lol
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Star Fox 64 - The Army's Up The Road

Post by raekuul »

Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

God, Area 6 is so good.

Gorgon (the boss) is really friggin' hard if you don't know what to do; doubly so if you lost Slippy previously (and the game makes sure that's a real possibility by throwing an enemy behind him halfway through the stages with a ton of health that does a lot of damage to him really fast).
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Oh man, it's Area 6! I love all the stages in this game, but this one is easily my favourite. I just love everything here: the music, the huge amount of enemies to shoot down, the way the Great Fox helps you destroy some of the large ships, the explosion sounds the satellites and large ships make when you destroy them, the way your foes here get more and more distressed the further you go; it's all just so good.

I do find the boss here to feel rather time consuming, but there are ways to speed it up: if you destroy all the energy balls the boss will regenerate its tentacles faster (except when the core is exposed), which isn't a huge time save, but it reduces the time you have to just sit around doing nothing, which I appreciate. You can also destroy the energy balls when it first appears (using a bomb helps; this is one of many reasons to stock up on bombs during the boss on Zoness), and this one is a considerable time save since it lets you skip an entire cycle of having to shoot the tentacles and wait for the boss to spin around shooting missiles before opening up. Speaking of the tentacles, I also find them to be quite difficult to hit, but over the years I've gotten pretty good at shooting them down quickly.

On the topic of score, with all of the enemies here it might come as no surprise that this stage has the highest score requirement for a medal at 300 points, although it's possible to get much more than that. On my latest playthrough I got just over 400 points, and I recall seeing a TAS that I believe upwards of 600 points here.

Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

It took me quite a bit when I played this as a kid to get good enough at Sector Z to be able to enter Area 6. However, it was super worth the payoff. What an amazing level. This is where a stage select would have been really welcome, just imagine unlocking this and being able to just play it whenever you want!!
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

It's hard to improve on Star Fox 64 in my opinion, as a fan of both the linear and all-range stages - but a level select as a reward for beating all stages would be amazing.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

re: "I can't brake and shoot at the same time": Yeaaah, that'll happen in emulator if you're using a "standard" control config <_< One of many reasons N64 emulation is the actual worst; you have to either have a ~magical~ controller that has six face buttons and a right stick, get creative with your controller mappings, or map four of your buttons onto a stick. Which is way the hell harder to press in action and way the hell easier to get a sloppy input and press two of them on.
I promise it's entirely possible to brake and shoot at the same time on the original controller, though; C-Down and A are like right next to each other, it works fine, though holding one button and mashing another with the same thumb is a little odd to do if you're not used to it.

Also yes as has been said A6 is the objective best stage in the game in every way
Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

When people say "game over, man" I know they're referencing that one classic alien film (Aliens? Independence Day? Starship Troopers?), but from a young age, I've always said "game over, pal" instead because I originally assumed the quote to be a botched Star Fox reference.

Breaking/boosting feels a lot better in Star Fox 2 because you can do them infinitely and it's fun to control your movement to go through things as fast as possible because the whole game's on a timer. As for as controlling goes, might help if you map C-left/C-down to L2 and R2 if your controller has them so your thumb doesn't have to move?
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

the situation with the laser this time around is a large part of why I wish the laser upgrades in this game didn't literally double damage, but instead were like cho ren sha or something. aka it looks like you're putting out double the shots but the actual damage done is lower.

that way the base laser could be stronger(without changing the damage max laser does) and losing upgrades wouldn't screw you over.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

SECTOR :clap: X :clap: WARP

(Just make sure you come into it with blue lasers to save yourself some aggravation)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Also Samus Aran has more or less the same in-universe job as the StarFox team but she's pretty unequivocally a Good Person (I don't know enough F-Zero lore to say for certain but I'm pretty sure Doug is also most definitely a Good Person despite being a bounty hunter).

I think Nintendo protags that are mercenaries/bounty hunters/guns for hire really only have those job titles because it's the most convenient thing to use to describe them. Like, yes, they take money to solve problems by force, but they are also very particular about their clients and their targets, so that Nintendo doesn't have to ever explain something like Ridley going up to Samus with a wad of e-cash asking her to assassinate the head of the Galactic Federation and Samus being like "yeah sure". Ultimately it seems like Nintendo's good-guy-guns-for-hire are only not in their respective universe's militaries because they prefer the freedom of not having to follow so many regulations, and they're already so well-equipped that the cost of not having the military provide weapons and supplies doesn't faze them in the slightest.

Like, Pepper and Peppy go way way way back, and the events of Star Fox Assault suggest that Fox telling Pepper to eat shit right to his face doesn't seem to bother Pepper one iota. I imagine he wasn't actually expecting a "yes" answer to that question.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

See, fun as it can be, my biggest issue with Area 6 has always been that it locks you in to Venom 2, which is just...kind of a lame finale compared to Venom 1. And despite its tissue-paper-like structural integrity, Demonic Robot Bat Monkey feel like a much creepier reveal for the second phase of the final boss than a doofy-looking brain with googly eyes. Andross starting the battle off by making a Susie-level pun doesn't help to lend much gravitas to the affair, either. Maybe it was a cunning ploy to lower Fox's defenses, who knows? In either case, I seem to recall the battle involving just as much wandering around aimlessly as here, and I can't help but think this fight felt extremely awkward for everyone, with lots of coughing and uncomfortable silence. As for Fox hallucinating his dead father...I dunno, that just feels cheesy, but not in a fun way like the rest of the game, and the camera really does seem like your biggest enemy in the escape sequence, something which this game, in contrast to most other N64 titles, largely manages to avoid otherwise. And then the ending is exactly the same anyway, aside from a lack of laughing-head-shaped cloud formations on the horizon. At least Fox still knows a bad deal when he sees one, and snubs in an appropriately ostentatious manner.
raekuul

Re: Star Fox 64 - The Fading Hero Has Returned

Post by raekuul »

Unredacted spreadsheet
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

choosing to believe fox told everyone the robot andross fight happened instead, as people might actually believe it
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

andross' brain form feels very morbid and creepy to me, which floating brains in videogames normally don't.

maybe it's something to do with the accompanying floating eyeballs, that with the brain sort of give the impression of a face(that is then scrambled as the eyes fly around+are destroyed). not sure!
raekuul

Post by raekuul »

In the case of Braindross there's also a few levels of instinctive squick to it

Firstly, Braindross is modeled after a human brain. If he were still just a Funny Animal then it's not so bad since there's a level of disconnect there, but once I start attacking the brain directly I can't help but start covering the back of my own head.

Secondly, you're specifically attacking the cerebellum in order to damage Braindross. You're not attacking his capacity to think, but to act. Andross exploding his base with him inside of it is not just out of pure spite - he doesn't want to die the slow death that this entails.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I said that I found Fichina (I think that's that planet's name) to be somewhat uninteresting because it's pretty much just the Star Wolf fight, and Venom 2 is similar, but at least the members of Star Wolf put up more of a fight here, so I at least find it more fun than Fichina.

Unlike Venom 1, the path to Andross here is a maze where you can get different items depending on what path you take. At this point though I have the best path pretty much permanently in my memory; that path would be: left, right, left, left, right, right. Taking that route through the maze gets you three gold rings, two laser powerups, and a bomb, although I've experimented with other routes, and I've found routes with more bombs, which could be useful if you don't need anything else (except it's not like having a bunch of bombs is particularly useful here).

I've noticed that Andross's brain form tends to give people trouble with how well it follows you, and I imagine I'd have trouble fighting him too if not for the fact that I've discovered a somewhat cheesy way of fighting it, which is to shoot it somewhere that's not its weak point to get it to teleport behind you, do a u-turn, get a few shots at the weak point, and then repeat until I win. This does make the fight somewhat anticlimactic, but then you can also just stun lock Andross's first form by shooting him in the eyes, so this seems to be in character for him.

As for the escape, I like how Fox's dad shows up to show him the path to escape, and I like the way Fox looks around for his dad at the end.

Catabo
:3
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Catabo »

Star Fox being a PMC yet being the good guys reminds me of mercenary characters in the Fire Emblem series. In the same games that start you off fighting bad/goofy/ugly bandits, mercenaries (basically bandits-for-hire) are portrayed as good/composed/cool (see also: "professional adventurers" trope in other RPGs). But there's a reason why the main characters of those games are almost always either nobility or mercenaries, and that's because both those types of people have reasons to travel to various countries and get wrapped up in all the politics and war. Star Fox strikes me as being in a similar situation— if they weren't mercenaries, they'd be Cornerian Army and would presumably have orders to follow rather than being able to take their own course through the game.

Getting a reprimand/downgraded to janitors/etc instead of a paycheque at the end of the game because you disobeyed orders to strike at Andross instead of defending Corneria like responsible soldiers would be hilarious, though.
Hi YouTube peeps! Want a cozier, chiller community that actually feels like a discussion instead of shouting into an endless void?
Consider posting on the talkhaus too! :catplanet:
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Shard1697 wrote: 2 years ago andross' brain form feels very morbid and creepy to me, which floating brains in videogames normally don't.

maybe it's something to do with the accompanying floating eyeballs, that with the brain sort of give the impression of a face(that is then scrambled as the eyes fly around+are destroyed). not sure!
I dunno, there was this episode of Space Ghost coast to Coast where the studio was invaded by a pair of giant, floating, shampoo-hawking brains with plastic eyeballs named Carl and Carl Jr., and I simply cannot imagine anything else when fighting Andross' final form.
raekuul

Re: Star Fox 64 - There's Still Time To Change The Road You're On

Post by raekuul »

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

amazing secret areas, makes me miss nintendo
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

It was fun seeing raocow play through all of Star Fox 64, even going through the extra step to the secret warps.

To go with the topic of Star Fox 64's voice acting a few pages ago, I found the uncompressed voicelines from the Nintendo Gigaleak:
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
dtsund

Post by dtsund »

You know... if you take the warp from Sector X to Sector Z, you can hit the Change Course option to go to Macbeth. Just sayin'.
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Great to end this with a bang :mrgreen:
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Impressive to see that you have finally evolved beyond the need for Slippy.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image