(shouting)

Yoku's Island Express LP Thread

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Yoku's Island Express LP Thread

Post by Crow »

the god slayer is sus :monstrosity:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Cyril wrote: 2 years ago the god slayer is sus :monstrosity:
i farted this post
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

so now that kickback is presumably dead...

am i alone in thinking they were a girl the entire lp?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago

so now that kickback is presumably dead...

bad news, buckooooo - kickback needs to be found and recollected to 100% the game as he counts as 3% completion by himself! oops

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I honestly didn't expect

Kickback

to turn evil but I'm not gonna call it like bad storytelling because it's very clear the focus of the game is on ambience. It's a cozy romp through pinball land with fuzzy sprite friends and their many gods. It's also why I don't think the dead children is that much of a tonal shift. Life is colored by our many tragedies, it's only natural that a land as cheery and colorful would have its own pangs of grief as well.

Legend of Mana, the Dragon Quests, FFX, Legend of Heroes III have taught me that video games are a good canvas for showing such contrasts in life. If it wasn't for the low amount of actual deaths, I'd add Lunar 1&2 since, while they don't portray death as much iirc, they do portray strong contrasting emotions in what little space they had available for the Mega CD releases (and so far, the Saturn release of 1), 2 is especially powerful on that front. I'd also add FFIV, FFVI (Mobliz ;w;,,,,) and FFVII but those are all very grim worlds even without their many catastrophes, say what you will about FFIV

going "oops they're dead, oh no wait They're Not Wow" for most of the cast like it was going out of style

Sorry for only mentioning JRPGs, I'm addicted, major props to any non-JRPG games you can think of that fit this quality as well.
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

i really like the twist because i always thought this random powerup item coming out and talking to us about our quest after each dungeon felt really arbitrary, like who tf is this guy to be treated like an actual character when he's just an item? well, now i know and it sure tricked me.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Leet wrote: 2 years ago i really like the twist because i always thought this random powerup item coming out and talking to us about our quest after each dungeon felt really arbitrary, like who tf is this guy to be treated like an actual character when he's just an item? well, now i know and it sure tricked me.
yeah you don't have to be big brained. sometimes fun twists are fun!
Image Image
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years agosay what you will about FFIV

going "oops they're dead, oh no wait They're Not Wow" for most of the cast like it was going out of style

You know for the longest time I thought

the characters coming back in the end was a detail added to the rereleases and remakes based on backlash to their permadeaths in the original but apparently it happens even in the initial SNES release??? Except Tellah of course, but… yeah. I only ever played up to the final dungeon in the GBA version and got the rest through youtube & early internet hearsay, I really need to go back and give the game a proper full playthrough at some point…

Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Rixithechao wrote: 2 years ago You know for the longest time I thought

the characters coming back in the end was a detail added to the rereleases and remakes based on backlash to their permadeaths in the original but apparently it happens even in the initial SNES release??? Except Tellah of course, but… yeah. I only ever played up to the final dungeon in the GBA version and got the rest through youtube & early internet hearsay, I really need to go back and give the game a proper full playthrough at some point…

Distinctly remembering Tales of Phantasia PSX

having Cless' uncle be murdered by Mars' lackeys in the prologue to tie up loose ends despite ratting him out to save his skin

and Lunar: Silver Star Story

having Luna accompany you to Meribia at Katarina instead of staying behind at Caldor (US)/Hommel (JP) Isle

Image Image
Crow

Post by Crow »

it's probably too late but here's the cleanup list for what's left to my knowledge:
* the last wickerlings and the last staff
* the last package delivery & collecting the badge after (i think you can once that's done?)
* the wizard's quest
* guttering enough to activate the secret cave, then doing that
* recollecting kickback in the ivory peaks (this counts as 3% lol)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

this game ruled
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

and so, kickback ate the new god, yoku drowned at sea, and mushrooms eventually took over the island

the end
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

That was awesome. Yoku released a little over three years ago, so Villa Gorilla must have a sequel or a new game close to ready. I'm really excited to see what they do next.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

The Doctor wrote: 2 years ago That was awesome. Yoku released a little over three years ago, so Villa Gorilla must have a sequel or a new game close to ready. I'm really excited to see what they do next.
I wouldn't be too keen, their site hasn't been updated since before launch and they were founded in 2013, so they took their time getting their first release out the door and haven't done any PR or activity since, so it's kind of a black-box situation with no real indication either way. Still, given how charming and lovely and well-recieved Yoku was and is, I do hope they have something in development.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I ended up going back to 100% this game after all - thankfully it was easy to get reacquainted with the controls. Turns out that using the "restart from checkpoint" option was super useful in cutting down iteration time when messing up certain maneuvers. Never took advantage of that on my first completion. I kind of wish there were more entry points to the beeline, though. You can exit at any point, but can only get back on in relatively few spots. Treek's house is a good example of there being a drop-off point that looks like you should be able to get back on, but you can't. A little unfortunate.

raocow played very well in this LP. I had 103 "deaths" by the end of the game, but raocow still had to farm up to 50 to activate the Traitor Spirits quest. All that Sonic Spinball must have prepared him well.

The glitched-out bridge was funny. Never had that happen on my own playthrough. Also, I never noticed that you can rescue the Spiderling after beating the Spider boss. After watching raocow's video, I went back to go get it, but it was gone. I guess it just died then. :(
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Kickback's characterization is so weird. Is he really the ancient Godslayer in question? If we take him at his word it would seem he just took on that role, but also his apology seems so fake.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.