(shouting)

pipiro goes to jail for arson (Zwei!!)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: the koba thread (Zwei!!)

Post by Grounder »

nobody cared who i was after i put on the mask
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago nobody cared who i was after i put on the mask
honestly i realized the whole

masked dude is paradys

thing without watching the episodes because of seeing the 2008 arrange ost's cover art when i was listening to a track from later in the game, mythical land serpentina (found out through an 100 rpg dungeon songs video), which is also the psp version's cover

like there's

a beautiful girl on the left who looks like a princess or goddess and the masked dude on the right

. hello

oh yeah and paradys is pronounced puh rah diss (パラディス) which sucks because i wanted it to be a pun on paradise
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I'm guessing it's a riff on Paladin.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 2 years ago I'm guessing it's a riff on Paladin.
Yeah I was figuring as such as I was making the post. Falcom is no stranger to weird typo names, like Felicon (フェリコン) for a falcon type enemy in White Witch. Or Elcargot (エルカルゴ) for a snail type enemy in A Tear of Vermilion and the PSP versions of the Gagharv trilogy (at least WW/Moonlight Witch and AToV, not sure about Cagesong), as they take enemy and NPC graphics from the Windows Me/2000 version of AToV instead of having new assets drawn specifically for the titles from Falcom artists*.

There was also a hermit crab enemy in the PC98/PSX/PC and Saturn versions of White Witch named Deathcargot (デスカルゴ), if I'm not mistaken. I do remember seeing it multiple times in my Saturn playthrough, high defense little fuckers (speaking of which the Saturn remaster has like 10 distinct enemies and the latter half only show up in the final chapter which is bonkers).

* (not game spoilers, just meandering nonsense of mine haha)
This is most likely due to Falcom, namely Masayuki Kato who isn't president anymore but still has some hold in the company through influencing Toshihiro Kondo and having Kondo listen to his input in decision making, likes low cost development cycles and while it's effective, it can sometimes be damaging to the end product. It could also be MiCROViSION who just decided to do that way but I feel like Falcom had a bigger say on the whole thing as White Witch and the like are their IP first and foremost.

An example of this can be seen with the constant shafting of Mitsuo Singa to BGM types he's not good at in recent titles just because he's a freelancer and cheap. For instance, his Sora no Kiseki Evolution arranges and tracks such as Marionette, Marionette from Ys IX and Raging Rush from Tokyo Xanadu personally leave a lot to be desired in my opinion, I feel like Raging Rush feels completely inconsistent and Marionette feels like a slapdash demo backing track for rap/hip hop from a free sample pack (saying this as someone who wants to listen to more rap/hip hop, shit is banging).

No offense to anyone who likes it, taste is subjective. I will refrain from making attacks on his ability though, that'd be unfair as someone who isn't trained in music and is speaking purely as a casual listener as well as an enthusiast of Falcom Sound Team jdk, but also as someone who has a lot of respect for Falcom's devs considering what they have to put up with wrt how the company is managed.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Okay I just finished catching up and I have to let this out. I feel like a lot of people in the comments section are just like hate watching the game and only clicking on the videos to consume raocow's monkey cheese. Every few videos there's people complaining about the game and it's really annoying and ruining the LP for me. Fawriel is being especially annoying with this.
I wrote:i dont see the point in complaining about stuff like ["Mask McMaskface"] and the memes since its very clearly meant to be purposefully bad jokes but im also extremely bitter of people doing stuff like calling working designs' garbage good because this is like the nectar of the gods in comparison to their south park republican-ass schlock.

now would i say that this localization is the best? no. but i feel it is a decent attempt at translating the bakage (stupid game) esque appeal of the original text, even if it goes a bit too far at times. it's not taking a normal, wholesome game and ruining its identity by turning it into mid 90s family guy like working designs' lunar translations, nor is it barely translated like the gagharv games or snes ff4 or wild arms 2 so really i feel like even with splendidland's old meme in there it's fine

like people in this comment section have been increasingly hostile to the game because of its dated gameplay elements and it daring to have lame humor and whatnot and i feel like this is an unfair treatment from people who aren't aware of the history of nihon falcom and the inspiration behind japanese dungeon crawlers like this such as the mystery dungeon games outside of playing the pokémon ones.

im not saying you have to like this game to truly appreciate rpgs, it's barely a blip on the radar, but i feel like people are expecting way too much from a game made by a developer that was in the red in 2001 and a translation that was made to make people laugh with the game as the original game intended.

just a past few videos i saw like. fawriel going "oh so the typing of ys must be why raocow decided to play a game he's only heard nothing but bad things about" not realizing that 1) this was a patreon choice 2) due to being a patreon choice there's someone who really wanted him to play this game 3) imagine that person seeing all this shit in the comments like (i mean it's sinc-x and knowing him, he doesn't care, but imagine if it was someone else)

i dont really know what else to say other than "nintendo fans make your personality anything beyond not liking jrpgs challenge (impossible)". i get the appeal of watching this series for raocow but if you're just gonna shit on the game the whole way then why bother, you're just harvesting toxicity. as a jrpg enthusiast im really just avoiding the comments on here because its all people who'd rather just raocow play more platforming and mario games rather than stepping out of his comfort zone, not understand that that is the intention of patreon votes in the first place
Image Image
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

I'm quietly enjoying the series and I like seeing raocow combine food into more food, it looks clunky but in a way I can kinda get behind, and the art is very nice. But some of the jokes just don't land. Some of them do! But the ones that don't tend to do that thing where they keep going on on that joke for a few more lines insread of moving past it. If I were playing myself my eyes would just kinda glaze over when that happened.

That's really my two cents. Also the magnet stuff kinda stinks but that's whatever.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years agowords
The only things I have to say to all that to are stop reading the comment section if it's causing you strife, and stop bringing up that one company, it makes it look like you have a bizarre vendetta against it you're stuck on.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago The only things I have to say to all that to are stop reading the comment section if it's causing you strife
valid, some of it also spreads to the thread though, including from you
Grounder wrote: 2 years ago and stop bringing up that one company
its not exactly a vendetta it's more my rage cannot be contained ever since i found out they added a fucking rape implication on the part of a villain into arc the lad 2 and i will live the rest of my life telling vic ireland he can choke on my big fat thorny cat dick if i can, so no
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I am seriously not seeing that huge swelling of negative comments personally..?
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow wrote: 2 years ago I am seriously not seeing that huge swelling of negative comments personally..?
Maybe it's just me? I'm probably exaggerating it in my mind. I dunno I guess I'm just sensitive about JRPGs because they're a special interest of mine. Mental illnesses! I'm sorry for whining dude :<

Been a lot more sensitive recently, I'm really sorry.

Anyway
Grounder wrote:
This is a bit personal but it's sort of an apology to you for being sassy. You are a huge weenie sometimes but you deserved better than me being a cheeky bastard and honestly I've been very sensitive about JRPGs recently, especially to thatguyif. I am keeping the xXxVICxxIRELANDxxHATERxx1997xXx nick on discordhaus tho.
I'm sorry if my complaints about WD are annoying but I've been going through Working Designs games recently (Arc 3 and Lunar 2) and man they are. Rough. I respect a good localization, I am the first to make fun of idiots complaining about "those damned westerners ruining my keikakus and senpais" but a lot of their jokes feel really spiteful. Like the tootsie pop stuff replacing the partially obscured Ys reference in Lunar 1 is really dumb, but also something that no one would get so eh, but the fact that a lot of their humor derives from punch down satire just feels disrespectful.

My main intention in bringing them up was to compare and contrast with a similar in tone translation (if you hated Zwei's writing you would hate US Lunar even more) that goes too far and alters the feeling of a game, for the worse I feel. But I ended up letting out my petty rage over people not liking this game and bitterness over WD being grandfathered in gaming while localizers I respect get a lot of shit for stuff for which the worst thing they said is like, "one of those GamerGate creep shows" or something. This is also due to recent events wrt WD, for instance:

A friend of mine is a huge Arc the Lad fan, among many other games, such as Okage and what not. His least favorite character in the franchise is Lutz. Lutz is this cheeky little flirt, very much a huge dork and a character I really like. However he outright detests him. This is because a lot of WD's Arc the Lad III translation relies a lot on "sissy", "fruit" etc to translate certain very different, but similar in meaning terms (wuss; paper hunter, which i assume is a pun on paper tiger or weak as paper? etc), especially in Lutz's dialogue.

While I am a gay man (demiboy, agender, whatever really), I am not very affected by these terms in English, I am in Portuguese however, maricas, mariconço (the ç is pronounced like an s btw). My friend is Latino so I assume his equivalent would be maricón. His father is also a bigot and as such my friend is very closeted. He is very sensitive to the term sissy, possibly due to life events. It honestly pissed me off and made me upset that a simple word choice could hurt my friend a lot. Call it loyalty or whatever.

Related to Arc the Lad III, I also wanted to check something I thought was suspicious about Arc the Lad II (cw: rape mention), in the game there does seem to be some punched up dialogue by Vic's crew, even a reference to Lunar. However, a line that was stood out to me for how oddly grim it is in a dark enough game was Kasadoll, a minor villain, saying he "showed [a minor character's mother] the love she so wanted" before killing her. It's oddly grim and cruel and this is a game that has one of the villains crushing the head of a monkey that has a demon contained in its body under their feet. Showing blood coming out even. I did some digging and it seems that the scene was expanded in the English version, valid, that's what localizations do. But I translated it with the help of jisho to find kanji, and I found no reference to the rape.

It upset me to the point of triggering, not out of "westerners messing with my japanese games" but for how disrespectful I felt that was to the game, considering how serious that subject matter is, and its treated as cheap shock. And it was in one of my favorite games. It felt gross. It's pathetic, I know but. Games are just a sort of safe space to me and I dunno I just felt grossed out. Lunar: Eternal Blue's translation had a similar problem. I felt like the bad jokes got worse in this sequel, but I got to the first town in the game, a desert town of gamblers and crooks that I constantly forget the name of. In the mayor's house there is a maid that says something about how like, she's tired of working and she might go for welfare and do what she wants, and Ruby (the mascot character) says like "that sounds like a fine way to waste your life" and as someone in the poverty line, who wishes to go into welfare to have a sort of paycheck while I'm unable to work due to Covid and mental illnesses, I took it personally. It felt like I was being shamed for being poor.

I don't know if this is just projecting but. JRPGs just mean a lot to me so I'm more defensive of them than usual. I remember I once had a bit of an overreaction over a friend making the same "large swords and funky hair" jokes about JRPGs and. :c
So yeah, I'm. Sorry. I'm being too defensive of a subgenre due to retained, bottled up bitterness that I have a hard time turning into healthy assertiveness mixed with not letting negativity get to me that I stew in my own nonsense like complaining a lot about Falcom's old president or dissing Working Designs' translation ethos like a sort of repetitious mantra. It's probably due to my ASD, but I feel like I'm being somewhat toxic by constantly complaining about the same things over and over again, and letting it out on you was just a bit too much. Again, sorry.
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

it's all good
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Grounder wrote: 2 years ago it's all good
^w^
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow wrote:
labyrinth music 4u

Image Image
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

So I think the labyrinth music was also used in Distorted Travesty 3 for something? If nothing else that series was really good at choosing bangers to rip out of various titles.
churine
Pronouns: she/her

Post by churine »

Chirei wrote: 2 years agoSo I think the labyrinth music was also used in Distorted Travesty 3 for something? If nothing else that series was really good at choosing bangers to rip out of various titles.
I definitely remember this one, it was used for Sky Cave and uh, maybe some other area??? I remember hearing it a lot at some point
wyldstrykr

Post by wyldstrykr »

i cant eXtract the sprites so...
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

I fear for the future
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

cave story
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

It's interesting how much raocow prefers offense to defense in equipment, but changing the mechanism to increasing damage through crits and defense through healing makes him prefer the defensive arcanum instead.

Money can still be useful for the really nice equipment we've seen for sale, but i don't know how plausible it is to reach those amounts.
raocow

Post by raocow »

I realise that I need to compensate for my zeal for offense with *something* if I want to actual live through the dungeons
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

I also never took off the water scroll after getting it, even with the wind scroll as an alternative. The healing is that good.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

I don't know how the numbers compare in this particular game, but in general i think healing can feel better psychologically than higher defense stats, where you can see your health going back up rather than just dwindling a little more slowly. Plus it has the advantage that it helps against any damage type.
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

Tiara combining the power of all 6 jewels with enough of her own power to knock herself out would have been much cooler to open that giant gate graphic in the background as opposed to restoring a small bridge, especially when there is already clearly a simple hand-made bridge re-connecting a similar gap meters away. Although the giant gate being a misdirection and the actual scene being this piddly little bridge is pretty amusing, and it wouldn't be out of character for this game to have set that up deliberately as a joke, so i quite like it.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Catching up on this series during work, and that is really cool how the theme of Serpentina uses the leitmotif of the world map.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Shame the boss seems to be a massive damage sponge. Playing cat and mouse might have been fun after a while.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage