(shouting)

pipiro goes to jail for arson (Zwei!!)

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

pipiro goes to jail for arson (Zwei!!)

Post by KobaBeach »

Last edited by KobaBeach 2 years ago, edited 18 times in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Re: zwei thread fork it

Post by KobaBeach »

the gross remark by pokkle towards plum was bad but so far the script is much better than working designs ever was.

someone said this game has minimal character in japanese in the comments and i'm honestly interested in looking up japanese playthroughs on youtube to check because i feel like people say that with every japanese rpg to excuse bad localization (which im not saying this game has though) and like. the legend of heroes games are wordy and soulful as fuck i want to believe falcom tried a bit with zwei even with the smaller scripts
Image Image
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Chirei wrote: 2 years ago Image
:catplanet:
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I wanted to play this before rao but whatever I'm watching this LP

I hope it goes well, I know almost nothing about Zwei other than that XSEED released Zwei 2 before Zwei 1
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Dreading the inevitable moment when Pipiro says "like a boss".

Memey dialogue doesn't work in this game's setting at all, IMO, and Pop isn't Nep.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago look i can't promise ill update this
as long as there's a spot where people can chose to talk, that's the most important thing
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

honestly this is a cutesy anime game about dumb kids going on adventures, the jokes are meant to be corny, we're not going full on "vic ireland thinks homophobia, sexism and classism is funny" here (though that pokkle comment was def sexist). it's okay to not like this dialogue, that's perfectly valid.

but the dialogue in the japanese version is absolutely pipiro is a shitposter and pokkle is a dumb hero nerd, the fashion and trend and idol scouting stuff is entirely there, possibly not the bad jokes verbatim but it's really more a case of pokkle is bad at jokes and thinks he's hot shit. pokkle's gross comment seems like it was inflated for the english release though there is a kanji i can't read due to the horrible quality and i don't know if i really want to pirate the psp iso and play it for an hour just to read a bit of dialogue more clearly. i might anyway but yknow, its just that i bought both zweis on steam haha

autoまぐ49 has a tendency to fade out at the worst places, their white witch saturn lp was the worst guiding tool especially with the places it cut off at while also being the only recorded full playthrough of white witch saturn, but you can see it checks out if you can read japanese (or use ocr? shrug)

i'm mostly just doing this because, again, i read someone called the original release "a game with no character" and im like? no? you just can't read japanese?????

Image Image
Donut

Post by Donut »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago someone said this game has minimal character in japanese in the comments and i'm honestly interested in looking up japanese playthroughs on youtube to check because i feel like people say that with every japanese rpg to excuse bad localization (which im not saying this game has though) and like. the legend of heroes games are wordy and soulful as fuck i want to believe falcom tried a bit with zwei even with the smaller scripts
Looking up a Japanese stream of the first part of the game and taking the opening scene as a sample, the dialogue is actually surprisingly close, with Pipiro being a stuck up brat and complaining about all the same things, although the memespeak is a localization flair. I've never played an Xseed game before, but I'm given to understand this kind of writing is just what they do.

As for the game itself, I'm curious to see what its gameplay is like. I've only played the first two Ys games so far, so I don't have a firm idea of what modern Falcom is like.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Donut wrote: 2 years ago As for the game itself, I'm curious to see what its gameplay is like. I've only played the first two Ys games so far, so I don't have a firm idea of what modern Falcom is like.
just look up gameplay of ys 8, tokyo xanadu and trails of cold steel 3 and 4 and you should have a good idea

super anime but refined gameplay and wordy as fuck iirc
i think ys 8 is still really short though
Image Image
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago i think ys 8 is still really short though
It's actually pretty long, especially for an Ys game, it's like 40-50 hours

There's probably a little too much dialogue and a bit too many cutscenes not unlike Tales of Vesperia for Ys, Falcom went hard on making Ys like Trails in that respect
Donut

Post by Donut »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago
Donut wrote: 2 years ago As for the game itself, I'm curious to see what its gameplay is like. I've only played the first two Ys games so far, so I don't have a firm idea of what modern Falcom is like.
just look up gameplay of ys 8, tokyo xanadu and trails of cold steel 3 and 4 and you should have a good idea

super anime but refined gameplay and wordy as fuck iirc
i think ys 8 is still really short though
I bought Oath in Felghana in a sale, so I'm waiting until then to experience it. I've heard nothing but good things about Trails, but it sounds like a...journey...to play, so I'm saving it for the right time. I have to take my chronic NPC OCD into account with these things. ;;

EDIT: Actually yeah, the person who convinced me to try out Ys also said 8 is far longer than he anticipated.
DinnerSonic
All the DinnerSonics
First name: Matthew
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by DinnerSonic »

With the talk about the memespeak and all... I saw an article by the localization team and one of the things they brought up is (probably not a spoiler but just in case!)

Pokkle having a reputation in the town for being a severely groanworthy puns guy, but, in a straight translation, not coming off that way to English sensibilities, instead feeling like the people were just bullying him. So they amped up his dad joke-ness and put it into more of his dialogue, to match how he's intended to come off.

That's what I got from the article, at least. I'm curious if the menu screens and such had the kind of "punched up" vibe they have here in the original release too, with tutorials talking about how "you can't just wing it with an old school game like this!" and menu options like "Dump it all in!" and the like.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Donut wrote: 2 years ago I have to take my chronic NPC OCD into account with these things. ;;
trails is perfect for me because i love living worlds in an rpg but i also don't go out of my way to speak to npcs unless it's fun or for clues
HatKid wrote: 2 years ago It's actually pretty long, especially for an Ys game, it's like 40-50 hours

There's probably a little too much dialogue and a bit too many cutscenes not unlike Tales of Vesperia for Ys, Falcom went hard on making Ys like Trails in that respect
*mario voice* oomf
Image Image
agargara

Post by agargara »

I really want to like this game. The art and atmosphere is so cozy, but I find the dialogue very off-putting. As others have already mentioned, this seems to be due to a mix of the original being pretty jokesy, and the localization dialing it up even more with memespeak.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Falcom Presents
2001: A Space Odyssey

Pokkle & Pipiro: Attorneys At Law
Pipiro is not licensed to practice law in Alberta
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

agargara wrote: 2 years ago I really want to like this game. The art and atmosphere is so cozy, but I find the dialogue very off-putting. As others have already mentioned, this seems to be due to a mix of the original being pretty jokesy, and the localization dialing it up even more with memespeak.
that's kind of how i feel about a lot of working designs' games but replace memespeak with non-pc and punching down humor and you have my stance

i hope their gaijinworks games are better because if they fucked up summon night 5 and 6 i will probably go to jail for what i end up doing to victor ireland (this is a joke please do not arrest me robocop)
Image Image
moogy

Post by moogy »

The reason why the graphics in this game are so good is because Shinkai Makoto (yes, the one you're thinking of) was one of the artists, back when he still worked at Falcom. IMO it looks far better than any other Falcom game before or since; I'm disappointed they never made anything else in a similar art style.

While Falcom is a fairly small company with only around ~50 people on the development side, they're historically one of the most important players in the Japanese video game industry, as others have mentioned. Here is an excellent video on their history through around 2010 or so. Nowadays they're primarily known for the Kiseki/Trails series, which has seen an explosive growth in popularity and international presence in recent years, looking to overtake Persona and Tales as the biggest JRPG IP not from Square-Enix.

This game did have a pretty... assertive script to begin with, though I think XSEED might have gone a little far in punching it up based on this video.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

moogy wrote: 2 years ago The reason why the graphics in this game are so good is because Shinkai Makoto (yes, the one you're thinking of) was one of the artists, back when he still worked at Falcom. IMO it looks far better than any other Falcom game before or since; I'm disappointed they never made anything else in a similar art style.
I can totally vibe with this because 3D models or sprites on drawn maps is based, but I'm still a huge slut for the 90s computer pixel art vibes of the Gagharv games, minus Win AToV. Stuff like Jazz Jackrabbit, Commander Keen 4, old DOS shareware bullshit, old Korean and Chinese DOS RPGs, ancient Amiga games, etc just make me feel like I'm a 4 year old messing about with my brother's Windows 98 PC again. There's a reason I had Windows!Jurio as my avatar for a while and am also a huge nerd for the SFW side of Japanese PCs and Japanese developed Windows+Macintosh stuff.

Win AToV looks a bit too Web 2.0 for my tastes. It looks good, but it's too "clean". The MiCROViSiON (not to be confused with Media.Vision, I have to catch myself from fucking up Every Time) PSP remakes abusing its NPC graphics as a general purpose tileset instead of Falcom going through the effort of making updated WW NPC graphics also spoils it, even if PC98 AToV is highkey garbo in the gameplay loop front.

Heard it's padded out by grinding which is Yikes considering WW requires zero grinding on PC and Saturn*, and the PSP version of WW can be mostly easily played through if you just focus on clearing out a location of hostile enemy sprites rather than avoidant enemy sprites, even then I managed to beat the final boss while avoiding every encounter in Castle Roudo and the Dorufes Tower (only Castle Roudo in the US version, I found an easy way to beat the mantis dudes, I think I spammed the PSP version exclusive Earth elemental summon Jurio can use). On top of that, lots of reused maps, there's much less unique maps than the amount of locations in the PC98 release, also much less text resulting in very sudden plot developments, it's a mess. It's also much darker, possibly Hayakawa's original vision for the Gagharv trilogy was just meant to be that way.

Haven't played CSotO yet so I have no idea about that one, I only know that Falcom Discord feels that Toshihiro Kondo's writing pales compared to Tadashi Hayakawa's original, unfinished script. I did grind a bit in Win AToV but only to gather Pisca to convert to Rose to buy the best equipment (the money conversion system in Gagharv is really dumb, but they got moxie and i respect that).

Sorry for going on forever about nothing I just love Legend of Heroes so much despite my bad Japanese and I still haven't gotten to Trails yet outside of playing the PSP version of Sky FC for a while before deciding that the PC version would probably be better due to script amendments????

* - oh yeah Saturn version, absolute trash, and I actually don't mind both versions of the PSP version!!! the absurd redesigns feel like they're mocking the game and story. a plus is that, you can use Banban (i'm not calling him Bang Bang fuck you), a literal bear cub, Filly's pet actually, in Chapters 4 and 5 so poggers
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

im going to throw poggle off a moving airplane if he keeps up the sexism
Image Image
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

I thought I was the only person that uses DXtory.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I like it a lot when it works properly!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

raocow wrote: 2 years ago I like it a lot when it works properly!
As far as I know, it's the only reasonably functional program that can capture by hooking into DX directly.

PS: My mild paranoia would force me to scroll down all the way on every shop screen to make sure they didn't his an item in the middle or bottom...
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Okay "nom nom" is just corny haha

i always associate it with lol so random humor
Image Image