(shouting)

[RPG] bishie jesus goes to space - Let's Play Final Fantasy IV

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

[RPG] bishie jesus goes to space - Let's Play Final Fantasy IV

Post by KobaBeach »

This is something I thought about doing before but was like ambivalent about because I don't think anyone cares about LPs here that aren't raocow's, maybe pholtos' or whatnot but.

What is Final Fantasy IV. It is a very important game in the JRPG pantheon, probably the most important game along with Dragon Quest V in terms of writing pre-FFVII. A lot of NES games were unable to go too deep into their stories and lore due to cartridge storage limitations, and even then apart from those two I think the most wordy games in the JRPG sphere were probably Legend of Heroes I & II, which had Super Famicom releases much later on (LoH1's being especially bad, just play the Mega Drive or PC Engine CD releases, LoH1 PCECD even got an English version), previously being exclusive to Japanese PCs such as the PC88, as the advent of multiple floppies allowed for extra data.

It's also an important game for me as it's the first JRPG I've beat that wasn't Pokémon, and it more or less was my gateway drug to RPGs as a whole. I'm going to give it a shot just for fun. I will be playing the original Japanese release as a sort of practice? And I honestly just wanted to play the original version for you guys but with a decent script. The original translation is passable but it's very jank. I personally don't mind it, but y'know.
Last edited by KobaBeach 2 years ago, edited 3 times in total.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
KobaBeach

Re: [RPG] bishie jesus goes to space - Let's Play Final Fantasy IV

Post by KobaBeach »

Episode 1:

Thus begins our game, the Red Wings of Baron have returned from a mission to recover the crystal of Mysidia.

Standing stoically in the blue armor is the Captain of the Red Wings, Cecil Harvey.

Soldier: Captain Cecil! We'll be arriving at Baron soon!
Cecil: Understood.

His stoic gaze turns into a somber look of regret, as he thinks about the actions that transpired in the city of wizards. Bloodshed, pain, strife. All to recover the crystals of the world...

Soldier: Even the captain's all...
Soldier: We can't really do anything about it, it's orders from the king after all...
Soldier: To take the crystal away from those innocent people...
ImageImageImageImageImage

Soldier: We are the great airship fleet, the Red Wings! Proud as we are, we should not be using our forces to pillage the innocent!

Cecil makes one step forward, and shouts a single word.

Cecil: Silence!
Soldier: But captain!
Soldier: Pillaging innocent mages who make no attempt to resist is an act not worthy of our dignity!
Cecil: Very well men! The crystals are important for our motherland to continue prospering. We, the subjects of Baron must obtain them at all costs. Whether the people of Mysidia knew too much about the crystal's secrets or not, is for His Highness to decide. We are the proud airship fleet of Baron! We are the Red Wings!

His Highness' orders are absolute...

Soldier: Captain...

One of the soldiers on the bow of the ship walks towards Cecil.

Soldier: Sir, monsters are coming!
Cecil: Men, to battle!
ImageImage

Using a fiery Red Fang to defeat the Floating Eyeballs (wasn't able to screenshot that sorry), Cecil scurries to a fallen soldier.

Soldier: Gah!
Cecil: Soldier, are you gravely hurt?
Soldier: More monsters are heading our way!
Cecil: Drat!
ImageImage

Finishing off a Zu with a lightning bolt from the Blue Fang, Cecil goes back to the main mast.

Cecil: Is anyone injured?
Soldier: We're fine.
Soldier: But lately, the monsters have been increasing...
Soldier: We're quickly becoming outnumbered.
Cecil: What is happening to the world...

Soldier: We've arrived at Baron!
Cecil: Very well, land the vessel.

The soldiers open the doors, and a suspicious character comes out. Baigan, the captain of the royal guards.

Baigan: Oho, I see you've recovered the crystal, Cecil.
Cecil: Yes, but the people of Mysidia made no attempt to resist...
Baigan: Worrying too much? Come, let's meet His Royal Highness.

The two go through the castle, before Baigan stops at the hallway before the throne room.

Baigan: My dear Cecil, please wait here for a moment.
Heading into the throne room, Baigan speaks to the King about his worries.

Baigan: Your Highness... With all due respect, Cecil, captain of the airship fleet, does not seem to trust your ambitions fully.
King of Baron: Is that so, my dear Baigan... As expected of the captain of the Royal Guard. I am most grateful for the report, but the crystal is absolutely necessary. Call Cecil to the throne room.
Baigan: As you wish.

Baigan approaches the throne room's door.

Baigan: Cecil, the king requests your appearance. Please come.

Cecil steps in.

King of Baron: Cecil, I congratulate you on a job well done. Do you have the crystal?
Cecil: Of course, my liege.

Baigan takes the Water Crystal from Cecil's hands.

Baigan: Seems to be the real deal...
King of Baron: Indeed! Oh, how gorgeous it is... At ease, Cecil.

Cecil steps back, before thinking solemnly about what has happened.

He steps back towards the king and Baigan.

Cecil: Your Highness!

King of Baron: Yes?
Baigan: What is it?

Cecil begins to vent his frustrations at the King's commands.

Cecil: My liege, what is your intent on laying such waste to innocent people like this?! As each day passes, more and more people distrust your rule, Your Highness.
King of Baron: What are you saying, Cecil?!
Cecil: !!... N-nothing at all, my liege.
King of Baron: You think I suspect nothing? To think not even you could trust me... It is with regret that I state that hereby, the role of captain in the Red Wings no longer belongs to you Cecil. I'm demoting you from commanding officer of the airship fleet!
Cecil: But your highness!

He tries to approach the king but he is blocked by the Royal Guards.

King of Baron: Henceforth, you will be in charge of Eidolon subjugation. A pesky Eidolon is making its rounds near the valley of Mist. I order you to defeat that monster and take this Bomb Ring to the village of Mist. Your mission begins tomorrow morning.

Hearing his best friend's punishment, Kain decides to step in and calm down the king.

Kain: Please wait. Cecil has done...
King of Baron: Kain, if you're so worried about this miscreant then you are free to go along with him. At ease!
Cecil: Your highness!
King of Baron: Enough is enough. Take this ring and be dismissed!

They are further pushed out.

Cecil: Your highness!

Cecil and Kain stand in the hallway, taking in what just happened. With deep regret and preparing to apologize, Cecil begins the conversation.

Cecil: My apologies, Kain, I've got you in this mess...
Kain: Don't sweat it. I'm sure that once you beat that Eidolon thingy, His Highness will forgive you and let you back into the Red Wings.
Cecil: ...
Kain: Just don't worry about it too much. Leave the preparations to me and just head back in for the night, okay?
Thus begins our journey.
TO BE CONTINUED
Image Image
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago It's also an important game for me as it's the first JRPG I've beat that wasn't Pokémon, and it more or less was my gateway drug to RPGs as a whole
Same

I love how the games starts with Cecil using the fang items, just so it can show of its flashy magic effects right at the beginning :D
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

oh what a classic screenshot style lp, haven't thought of this in years
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

raocow wrote: 3 years ago oh what a classic screenshot style lp, haven't thought of this in years
this is mostly because i want to play the pc versions of falcom's gagharv trilogy for y'all and give em a proper translation that exists somewhere and considering they run like ass on windows 8.1 without dxwnd's windowing i really don't want to know the struggle of getting obs to record them. like have you tried recording anything on cemu? i worry that the same thing might happen. might still use obs and savestates to help me record video of games with voice acting and no subtitles (sega cd, turbo cd) to more easily transcribe it because my listening is terribad

my main goal is just to showcase rpgs for people, especially obscure japan only ones, console and j-pc (and whatever windows/macintosh ones i can find), but i'll try to showcase classic western crpgs and neat rpg maker games as well. playing japan only jrpgs should help me work on my japanese as well so win/win.

It's like Boo!
Griflion wrote: 3 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago It's also an important game for me as it's the first JRPG I've beat that wasn't Pokémon, and it more or less was my gateway drug to RPGs as a whole
Same

I love how the games starts with Cecil using the fang items, just so it can show of its flashy magic effects right at the beginning :D
gotta make a good first impression

i might try to sneak one or two updates tomorrow because ff4 is just really fun and i like playing it. ff is just so goooood :absorbtion: :absorbtion: :absorbtion:
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Episode 2:

Continuing where we left off, Cecil decides to explore the castle and talk to some of his fellow men for advice.

Soldier: The valley of Mist is to the northwest of Baron. Heard it's always shrouded in fog, it is.
Soldier: If the great Kain from our Dragoon Squad and the awesome Cecil from the Red Wings join forces, there's no one who can stop them!

Kain: What's up?
Cecil: I'm just sorry, Kain...
Kain: Muttering that again? That's so unbecoming of you.
Cecil: As the leader of the Red Wings, my Dark Blade must be the eternal envoy of the king. But it seems that all I've been doing to protect our motherland, was just pillaging the innocent.
Kain: It's not your fault, Cecil. Even I don't know what the king is thinking.
Cecil: I'm jealous of where you stand, Kain.
Kain: My old man was a Dragoon himself. Rising above the ranks, mastering the Dark Blade, that was all you. Even then, being a Dragoon just makes me feel closer to my late father, like I'm carrying on his legacy.
Kain: Hmph. We really aren't acting like ourselves here. Don't think about it all too much. Just remember, you're the cream of the crop. No Eidolon can match us.
Cecil: I'll do my best!
Kain: Yeah well, it's getting late. Go on and head in for the night.

Soldier: These days, I've been getting weird vibes from the king...
Soldier: My faith lies with the king!

After that discussion, he heads to the east wing of the castle.

Airship Maintenance Crew: Have you seen Cid? Either way, just leave the maintenance of the airships to us.
Airship Maintenance Crew: Sigh. Am I gonna be up all night again? Uh, er. Our boss is a secret! Work is really dang fun!!!

Heading to the west wing, he is stopped half way through.

Rosa: Cecil!
Rosa: I'm so glad you're safe! You left so soon, I was so worried...
Cecil: Sure we're safe... But it's best not to mention the injuries felt by the mage party...
Rosa: ...Let's meet at your room later.
Cecil: Okay.

Suddenly, Cecil hears a voice in the distance.

Cid: I see you're back, Cecil!
Cid: You made Rosa worry! Keep making her upset like that, and I'll never forgive you, you hear! Speaking of which, is my precious airship safe? Your henchmen haven't made too hard a dent in it, have they? Wait, what's with the long face there?
Cecil: Actually...
Cid: What? Eidolon Subjugation? Who's gonna lead the Red Wings then? Just what is that king of ours doing? I wanted to talk to you about my new Airship model I've been working on, but I don't want it to be used for rampant slaughter! Even the townspeople are puzzled! Anyway, take it easy will ya? I'm sure you can take down that Eidolon in one fell swoop! I'm off, then. I haven't been home in a while, so my daughter is sure to kill me, heheh!

Cecil heads back to his room to rest.

Maid: The bedsheets are ready. Heard you're leaving early tomorrow morning, so make sure to rest enough for tonight.

ImageImage

Cecil: What is the King thinking? When he was a knight, he was known for being so strong yet so gentle... He even raised me and Kain since we were just orphaned kids... The crystal of Mysidia... Was it really necessary to take it away from the innocent... Just because they're the orders... I can't!

Suddenly Rosa walks in.

Rosa: What happened? You just suddenly departed for Mysidia, and now you're departing to defeat Eidolons... And on top of that, you don't seem yourself.
Cecil: It's nothing.
Rosa: Then face me.
Cecil: I, we... We took the crystal from the innocent people of Mysidia... I may be a Dark Knight, but is my heart also darkening as well?
Rosa: ...I know and you know, you'd never go down that path.
Cecil: I couldn't even oppose the king. I'm just a coward.
Rosa: The Cecil I know would never be as fickle and cowardly as that. The Cecil I love...
Rosa: I know you'll be off to Mist tomorrow morning, but if something happens to you, I'll...
Cecil: Please don't cry. Kain will be with me, I promise.
Cecil: It's getting late. You should sleep.
Rosa: Please be careful...
Cecil: Thank you, Rosa. But I'm a Dark Knight. As for you...

Cecil solemnly tilts his head down, reflecting on his relationship.

Tomorrow morning, Cecil makes his way to the main hallway of the castle to meet up with Kain.

Kain: Let's be off, then Cecil?
Cecil: I'm counting on you, Kain.
Kain: Heh. Leave it to me.

Thus, the captain of the Baron Kingdom's Red Wings,
the Dark Knight Cecil, was stripped of his status.
He and the Dragoon Squad's captain, Kain, headed for the remote village of Mist,
leaving the great castle of Baron behind, advancing towards the foggy valley the village resided in.

The vessels filled with the people's hopes and dreams,
the Airships...

Initially being created to fulfill the dreams of the common man,
it soon gave way to avarice and greed.
Thanks to the power of the Red Wings,
the Kingdom of Baron's army excelled and outmatched all others on the planet.
But why does it use it to exclusively pillage the crystals...
Why do the evil beasts and monsters still appear even amongst daybreak...

The crystals continue shining off a faint light...

And we're off. This is where the narrative part of the LP ends, and the gameplay begins. Final Fantasy IV plays like every other turn based RPG, to an extent. You'll see why. I'll enter a battle instead of going in the town first, to showcase this.

We've entered a battle with three Goblins and a Sword Rat. Kain and Cecil are on the right, nothing different from the first three right?

What's this? You can get hurt while selecting your commands? Yes. FFIV is the first FF to include Active Time Battle, as most of you know, a system that allows for a mix of turn based combat tactics with real time battling. From what I understand, agility and speed still matters for where your attack is slotted in, but the chance of being sniped by an enemy is made more volatile.

Our two party members have a few options, たたかう and アイテム, Attack and Item, are easy to grasp, so I won't go too into them, but あんこく and ジャンプ are more opaque. Let me demonstrate.

ImageImageImage

あんこく, or Darkness, allows Cecil to use his life power to fire energy to attack the entire party of enemies. It's not the best damage output, but it's good if you don't have any spellcasters.

ImageImage

ジャンプ, literally Jump, allows Kain to leap upwards and come crashing down like a meteorite at the enemy, a Dragoon staple. Even FFVII, a game with no Dragoons, implemented this as a Lv1 Limit Break for Cid, the lance weapon character. Truly an iconic move!

And with that we've earned our victory, a few Gil, a few experience points. Not bad! Grinding isn't the funnest in FF for me compared to stuff like Dragon Quest, but I can't say the drop rate is bad!

Let's head into the town of Baron for now. A very lovely town, the white marble buildings remind me a lot of Sootopolis from Pokémon, and the use of beige-ish brown with soft white gives me Panzer Dragoon and Möbius vibes, which I appreciate a lot. Let's see what some of the townsfolk have to say first.

"Ah, Cecil of the Red Wings! The valley of Mist is past the Northwestern Cave!"
"If Mist gets involved, something bad might happen..."
"Teaching the soldiers the ways of the Dark Blade, just what is the King thinking!"
"Whoa! Dark Knights give me the creeps... But they're kind of rad!"
"The door at the west end of the town? It used to be a waterway connecting to the castle, but it's been locked away for quite some time."
"Hey mister, why do you look like that? Are you a bad guy?"
"Recruiting Dancers! Cute and skilled dancers required. - Bartender of the Baron Inn"
"C-Cecil of the Red Wings!! I have done nothing wrong! I have already paid the royal taxes as well..."
"If it isn't the castle's famed Dark Knight! Paying? Pfft, I can't ask that from you!"
"If you're going out on a trip, Potions, Antidotes and Tents are of utmost importance!"
Rosa's Mom: The king's recent behaviour... Are you heading out to do something cruel elsewhere again? Just don't get Rosa involved in suspicious activities.
"This is the Devil Road, connected to Mysidia. It was formerly used for trade and commerce, but Mysidia has currently closed their connection with us. The room below us is the Training Hall."
"Dad stayed up all night again! Does he think he's still young or what?! I see you're off too, master Cecil. People in town don't think too highly of the king and soldiers, but there are a lot of kind-hearted people like you... Because of that Dad's always getting into fights with them."
Cid: Snore, snore... My new engine model is complete... Snore, snore...

There are also two specific NPCs that I'd like to bring up.

First is this dancer, this is FFIV's trademark running gag. It's a bit in poor taste these days, but I'm biased and kind of have fond memories of it myself, despite being a feminist.

"Mister Dark Knight. I haven't been slandering the king, no... I'll show you something nice in return for sparing me, how about it?"

She dances around and removes her clothes. I can't defend this. lol

Lastly in the training hall, we have this little furry here.

Namingway: Oh my! Do you want to change your name?

As you can see here, this lovely little Nimono will change your party's names for free as long as you can find him. A neat feature for players used to giving their own custom names to characters, be they silly or serious. I won't be using this as I like default names, but y'know. It's not very common to see games where you can rename characters willy nilly like that, so far I can only think of Star Ocean, Wild ARMs 2 and maybe SuFami Tales of Phantasia, no idea.

As the DS remake had voice acting, this feature had to be scrapped, instead replaced with a game spanning sidequest, along with a redesign to make Namingway seem more rabbit like, to go along with the moon theme of the game. I personally prefer the OG Namingway but y'know.

And with that, we should be off? We don't really have money for potions and what not so...

And here is the first dungeon, the Cave of Mist. FF4 has some of my favorite dungeons in any game and its design is a good rule of thumb for me, branching paths without going too overboard, rewarding the player for exploring, but also having a simple path for those who don't care about getting every chest, whilst having balanced encounters.

"Turn back..."
Cecil: Who is there?!

"Leave at once..."
Kain: Could it be the Eidolon speaking?

Before heading upwards let's check our inventory. Two tents (one from Baron), three eyedrops (i barely use these), and four potions. I think we're good.

"Envoys from Baron..."
Kain: Who's speaking?!
Eidolon: Turn back now and I won't harm you. Leave at once, I say!
Kain: Show yourself!
Eidolon: So you choose to push onwards...
>Yes
Cecil: I must deliver this Bomb Ring to Mist!
Eidolon: In that case... I have no choice but to stop you at all costs.
Kain: The fog is gathering!

And here we have the Mist Dragon. If you've played the Scorpion Tank battle in 7, the Wing Raptor in 5 or the Whelk in 6, you should know what to expect, a simple battle where the boss sometimes activates a defensive/counter attack stance and you have to wait it out to attack again. No biggie.

Defeating it, we earn 200 Gil and 350 Exp, Kain levelling up by one level.

And so we reach Mist.

A lovely town. Cecil and Kain take a few steps into the village and...

Cecil: The ring is sparkling!?

ImageImage

I'd make a joke about seeing this coming but I really don't want to be the dude who just makes bad jokes on top of a good RPG. After being released, the Bombs set the village ablaze.

Kain: What on earth?!
Cecil: So this was the intention all along...
Kain: Just to torch the village...
Cecil: Why, your highness?! Why do you do such travesty!
???: Hic, sob...
Cecil: What was that?

Cecil and Kain go to check, a young girl is crying next to the corpse of her deceased mother.

Little girl: Mommy's dragon d-died... So mommy went away too and... Sob, sob...
Cecil: !
Kain: I've heard of them. Those with the power to call upon monsters. Summoners...
Cecil: The dragon we defeated must have caused this child's mother to...

The girl takes one step backwards in shock.

Little girl: Then you two misters hurt mommy's dragon?!
Cecil: No, we did not intend for your mother to...

Cecil's sadness wells in his heart.

Kain: The king must have sent us here to destroy the summoners.
Cecil: But why...
Kain: It's a shame but under his command, we must take down the girl as well.
Cecil: K-Kain!?
Kain: If you won't do it, then I will!
Cecil: She is a child!
Kain: Do you want to turn your back to the king?
Cecil: I will not obey commands to perform such slaughter any longer!
Kain: Hmph, as I thought. I can't go back to Baron alone, either.
Cecil: What do you mean?
Kain: I may owe a lot to his Highness, but I can't disgrace the good name of the Dragoons.
Cecil: So... You are also...
Kain: But Baron's military is top of the line. No matter how much we try, we won't be able to defeat them. We must bring news to the other countries and gain their support. And lastly, save Rosa.
Cecil: Thank you so much, Kain...
Kain: I'm not doing this just for you, though.
Cecil: ?

Kain: It's dangerous here, we must leave this village. What should we do with the girl.
Cecil: She should come with us!

The two approach the girl.

Cecil: Come, this place is too dangerous. We should go together and...
Little girl: No!
Kain: If you don't stop, we're taking you by force.
Little girl: Please go away!
Cecil: Please wait!
Little girl: Leave me alone! I hate you! I hate everyone!

Little girl: Go away!!!!!!!!!

ImageImage

She uses her Titan summon, and the mountains collapse.

Cecil wakes up with the girl in a grassy field outside of the town.

Cecil: Thank goodness she's safe.
Cecil: !!
Cecil: Kain!
Cecil: Kain!
Cecil: I can't stay here doing nothing any longer, I must take this child with me! Kain, please be alive...

And thus ends this update.

See you soon!
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

please excuse any possible mistranslations there may be in here, i did my best with jisho and a bit of deepl use, but im not 100% confident i got everything as the authors intended, localization or not. also man i managed to press ctrl+enter twice, causing the update to be posted before i set the pictures and finished the text (first time just resulted in an error because the buffer period for posting ran out as it is wont to do with posts that take too long to type)
Image Image
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

Oh man, kain/anybody disappearing from your group, that surely is not gonna become a trope in this game :mgmnds:

HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

FF4 isn't really a favorite game of mine, but this is pretty cool you're doing this! Hopefully you can keep this up!!
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Griflion wrote: 3 years ago

Oh man, kain/anybody disappearing from your group, that surely is not gonna become a trope in this game :mgmnds:

i think its really funny that only like one person canonically dies in this game but half of the party just gets put on a bus and thought for dead multiple times

HatKid wrote: 3 years ago FF4 isn't really a favorite game of mine, but this is pretty cool you're doing this! Hopefully you can keep this up!!
thank. also god you're playing psp gagharv???? i hope you can enjoy the more down to earth stories despite the low budget gameplay and presentation, i heard from falcom discord people that song of the ocean goes to hell once the trails in the sky writer and current president of falcom takes over for the main gagharv writer who left halfway through or whatever. i'm personally looking forward to playing the pc version either way and the trails in the sky trilogy is a definite must for me.

ill try to update with kaipo today, hopefully we can get to the antlion if i don't get too exhausted from the pacing of writing an "adventurer's log" or lose myself in doing other bullshit for the day.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

i'm sorry i was too busy re-installing ff14 free trial because of. gay gpose pics. i don't even know if gpose is available in free trial but it's supposedly one of the best ffs so far according to nerds who play bad games. i promise kaipo will come tomorrow, i make it a point to not let games that aren't designed to have an end take up my entire life

[insert free trial shilling here]

EDIT: i cant sleep rn. if you bitches are lucky and i can't get any sleep until like the morning i will try to poop out an update. these stuff take a while.
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Episode 3:

little ditty

ImageImageImage

After defeating some Sahagins, we head into the desert and the great Village of the Oasis, Kaipo.
Entering the city, Cecil remarks to himself:

Cecil: This child needs a place to rest...

ImageImage

He heads onto the inn, speaking to the man behind the counter.

Innkeeper: Good afternoon, s-... Oh dear, that lass looks horribly pale! Please head into one of the available rooms, no need to pay! Hurry!
Cecil: Thank you.

Placing her in a bed, the girl awakens to look at Cecil, before looking away in spite.

Cecil: You're awake!
Little girl: ...
Cecil: I still haven't gotten your name.
Cecil: You... Don't have to forgive me for murdering your mother... But please let me protect you.

The girl refuses to listen, too heartbroken from the events. Cecil decides to head in for the night.

But come nightfall...

(slam!)

The soldiers... How could they have found us?

General: So here you were, Cecil!
Little girl: !
Cecil: Please wait, the King has-...
General: King's orders, hand us the orphan and the King will forgive you. The summoners of Mist are a dangerous people!
Cecil: What are you saying?!
Little girl: !
General: C'mon! Give us the girl!
Cecil: I will never!

General: Come at us!

A battle ensues. A bunch of small fry, just Darkness their butts and you should be good, the General usually runs off. In FF4US you have to resort to mashing A though.

ImageImage

Once the dust is settled Cecil comes to the lass' side.

Little girl: I'm sorry mister... Because of me, they were...
Cecil: No, no, little one. I should be the one apologizing. All of this was my error...
Little girl: Still... Please be by my side, mister...

The girl, tears in her eyes, turns to face Cecil.

Rydia: I'm Rydia...
Cecil: Thank you so much, Rydia...

[Summoner Rydia joins the party!]

ImageImageImage

Waking up, the two head out for further adventures!

Cecil: Well, here we go!

First off, Cecil decides to hear the current news.

"The great Sage Tellah and his only daughter Anna never had any sort of disagreements between them, but I've heard Anna recently run away from home... So strange."
"Has the desert dried your windpipe? Well Kaipo knows best! Our finest quality Kaipo Beer, brewed by our greatest!"
"I'm a traveling Scholar, my friend. I'd really like to head to Fabul, a kingdom of monks to the east of Damcyan, you see? But a strange old man keeps people from proceeding beyond the waterway. What a quandary."
"Have y'all folks heard of the Antlion's Cave? It's to the east of Damcyan, only the Royal Family can enter it! Humbug, if we could get in, I bet we could make some fine commerce!"
"How worrysome... Our guests have been reducing thanks to the multiplying monsters... What to do..."
"The waterway's to the northeast! But recently, I heard that these like, eight water snakes have been attacking people there!"
"Anna has gotten a fiance recently, against her father Tellah's wishes. In response to that she left Kaipo, the poor thing."
"This is the oasis village of the Damcyan desert, the humble town of Kaipo."
"North of here is the only governing party in the desert, the castle of Damcyan. The prince there has the beauty and the voice as lovely as the prettiest lady!"
"If you're taking a child with you, make sure to keep them in the back row!"

The requisite dancer.

"I came here to try to apply as a dancer in Damcyan, but there's so many dangerous beasts in the waterway... How about I show you my swimming routine? You be the judge!"

ImageImageImageImageImage

Not bad honestly!

However, one of the rumors across town stood out to Cecil.

"Heard a pretty lass from Baron fainted nearby. Some nice folks carried her back to their house to help her recover, they did!"

Worried, he headed door to door asking for the girl.

Nice old lady: A girl from Baron fainted outside of town. I felt bad for her, she had such a strong fever. Wouldn't stop going on about "Cecil... Cecil...", the poor thing.

Cecil heads to the back of the house, worried if it could be...

Cecil: Rosa!

Cecil: Oh, Rosa...
Rosa: ...Mmm... Cecil... Please don't die, Cecil...

Cecil speaks to the old man watching over her.

Caring old man: To heal her illness, we need the powerful jewel, the Sand Ruby (Desert Light). Sadly it's in the same cave as a monster known as the Antlion.

With a new goal in mind, Cecil decides to head to the castle of Damcyan and acquire the help of the royalty to save Rosa. And if he has to, maybe help Tellah solve the ordeal with his daughter to get through.

Since Rydia is level 1 we'll have to grind a bit to get some spells in her skillset. Thankfully it only takes a few minutes due to quick levelling.

Level 6 should be good enough. We know Cure, Sight, Blizzard and Thunder, as well as a Chocobo summon. I won't go for all summons since some require item drops, but I'll try to get most of them. To the waterway!

The first real dungeon. Rydia is a must here due to how the enemies are weak towards magic.

Hello, who's this?

Old man: Hey, hey you! A Dark Blade user, are we? Please help me out, I'm begging ya!
Cecil: Wha? What's wrong?
Old man: My daughter Anna eloped with this bard to Damcyan! I feel ominous vibes heading towards that place!
Cecil: You must be the Sage, Tellah!
Tellah: Indeed, I am Tellah! Following my worries I headed to Damcyan, but a giant monster that lives in the underground lake is giving me a hard time! We'd be so strong together, my magic is peerless, and with your Dark Blade... Gasp?! No way... The child, she's a summoner?! Truly, quite the talent!
Cecil: We must head to Damcyan as well.
Tellah: Then that's that! We'll head to Damcyan together!

[Sage Tellah joins the party!]

Let's head further and pillage the dungeon! Tellah's a Red Mage type like Rydia, but unlike Rydia, he has far less MP in terms of the whole game, though much more HP for this part of the game. He mostly serves as a way to defeat the undead enemies and Red Marshmallows as Cecil doesn't do much damage and Rydia doesn't have Fire. He can also try and remember spells he forgot, as a sort of Metronome, if you play Pokémon.

What could be behind the waterfall...

A little treasure trove of course! An X-Potion, a Dry Ether and a Phoenix Down. Not bad.

A floor upward, let's head into this door.

Inside is a magic circle of sorts.

Tellah: Let's rest here.
Tellah: This magic circle casts a barrier to repel monsters. We can rest in Tents or Cottages here, or just save, even. Let's rest with a tent here for the battles ahead!

Tellah: Already asleep, she must have been quite tired. Could she be...
Cecil: Indeed... A Summoner from Mist.
Tellah: Quite the hidden talent. To think she might have gone through tough training to master such magic... And still so cute and so young... Reminds me of my little Anna when she was her age.
Cecil: So Anna is your...
Tellah: My only daughter. Eloped with a bard to Damcyan... All because I didn't approve.
Tellah: And you, why are you heading to Damcyan?
Cecil: My friend has fallen with a high fever in Kaipo.
Tellah: So, the Sand Ruby. If you don't get our hands on that, not even my magic can help... You must hurry, then.
Cecil: What's the monster in the cave like?
Tellah: A giant beast with eight tentacles. I must defeat him. For Anna, and your friend's sakes! Please let the ill omen I feel approaching Damcyan to not come true...

Let's be off then!

Strange, a patch without shade.

Oh!

And we find a feather cap for Rydia.

And here we are at the north entrance of the waterway, but first...

A Shadow Blade for Cecil, his first upgrade. From 17 ATK to 27.

Tellah: We'll be back to the surface from here. The monster is at the bottom of the waterfall up ahead. Put up a tent, just in case we need to refuel and whatnot.

If the man wills it.

Thar she blows.

Tellah: He's down there!

we get it dude

*Super Mario Sunshine shine get bgm* Broken back get.

Nearby we also get Hades Helm and Hades Gauntlets, more upgrades for Cecil.

Further ahead, Hermes Sandals (sadly not equipable here, only a Haste casting item) and Hades Armor.

There's the fucker.

Tellah: Here it comes!

Tellah: It's the Octomammoth!

The Octomammoth is a neat boss, the less HP he has, the less tentacles he has out. So in effect it's kind of like taking down each of his tentacles as you fight. It's neat. I'll mostly focus on normal attacks with Cecil and Thunder with Rydia and Tellah.

Tellah: That's the power of the Dark Blade! His movement has lessened!

An easy victory.

Tellah: We can head to Damcyan from here! We can head to the surface from beyond this waterfall.

An inverted Sabatico Falls, I see. (No one will get that)

Welp. Let's head to Damcyan before we finish the update.

There she is, she looks lovely. Let's take a few steps forward and.

Oh?

Oh no.

Oh god.

Anna!
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

vote 1 plz

Image Image
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago Image

The Octomammoth is a neat boss, the less HP he has, the less tentacles he has out. So in effect it's kind of like taking down each of his tentacles as you fight. It's neat. I'll mostly focus on normal attacks with Cecil and Thunder with Rydia and Tellah.

Mystic Quest Legend vibes

One of the many but not enough good things about that game

TiKi

Post by TiKi »

does terra count as jesette
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

TiKi wrote: 2 years ago does terra count as jesette
this made no sense to me until i realized you meant ff6 and girl jesus in which case. yes

so does yuna; tidus and cloud are also jesus. im pretty sure kuja has some similarity to judas, i have not read the bible in decades
maybe lightning could be moses

square really likes tragic heroes

also sorry i forgot about this lol
Image Image
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Okay so I. I reset the save for the sake of like a dialogue study type thing on my site? But I went through the trouble of making it back to where I was just for you. And myself.

Episode 4:

When we last left our heroes they were in front of the damaged Damcyan.

Stepping onward, they see the whole place has been trashed, dead bodies everywhere. Lacking tact, we do steal a Tent.

Heading to the top floor, we see a young girl lying dead in the floor.

Image: A-Anna!!!

A young bard steps in.

Image: You bastard, you're the bard from before! This is all your fault!
Bard: Huh?

In a desperate rage, Tellah starts beating him up, sadly I placed him in the back row.

Image: How dare you, how dare you take my Anna away from me!
Bard: Please, you've got it all wrong!

Tellah strikes again.

Image: Like hell I have!
Bard: Please, allow me to explain!

One more time.

Image: Shut up, you spoony bard! (sorry i had to include the spoony bard bit)
Bard: I beg you!

Yet again.

Image: My pain is Anna's pain!
Bard: Anna...

Anna: Father, please! Both of you, stop!

Everyone hurries to Anna's side.

Image: Anna... You're alive!
Image: F-father... Gilbert... Is the prince of Damcyan... For the sake of protecting his status... He became a bard in Kaipo... Sorry for vanishing, father... I love Gilbert so much... But I love you too father... So you'd forgive me... I was returning to Kaipo... When...
Image: A man known as Golbeza has taken command of Baron's Red Wings.
Image: Golbeza? Who is this man?
Image: Forgive me, I have no idea. All I know is that he covers himself in a strange black armor and seems to have unimaginable powers.
Image: What purpose did the Red Wings have here?!
Image: The Crystal. They came to pilfer it and ravage the rest. My mother, my father, even Anna... All gone. All to protect me.

Image: You loved him this much... To the point of...
Image: Father... I ask you... Forgive me... I... Love Gilbert...
Image: Anna!
Image: Anna! No! Anna!!!!!!!!!!

Image: This Golbeza fellow... What are his goals?!
Image: He just appeared in Baron and started using the Red Wings to gather the Crystals.
Image: What a repulsive man. Crying won't bring back Anna, though. Golbeza of Baron... I'll have my way with you yet...

In a rage, Tellah storms off, heading to kill Golbez.

Image: Tellah, you mustn't act foolhardy!
Image: I don't need help! I can't handle this myself!

Tellah has left the group.

Meanwhile, Gilbert/Edward is crying over Anna's loss.

Image: Anna... Sob, sob... Anna!!!
Image: Crybaby!

Image: You're a man! You're a grown up! Not even I cried!
Image: R-Rydia...
Image: Indeed... It's right. I'm a coward, a crybaby! I have no use but to be at Anna's side! I don't want anything else in the world!

Image: You're not the only one suffering! Anna's joy won't come from your pain! Nevertheless, we need your help!
Image: I... I can help?
Image: My name is Cecil. My friend is suffering from yellow fever in Kaipo. I ask that you aid us in recovering the Desert Light. You're the only one who can help.
Image: Me...? Help?
Image: Yes. For Rosa's sake, I ask you.

Edbert contemplates for a second.

Image: This Rosa person seems very important to you... Protecting our loved ones is what matters most.

Image: The Desert Light lies to the east of here, in the Antlion's den, it secrets the jewels during egg-laying. We won't be able to cross the shallows like this, so let us use Damcyan's Hovercraft. You can also reach Kaipo through the shallows to the west.

Image: Let's be off.

Royal Gilbert has joined the party.

The three head out as well. But Gilbert steps back in to leave a few words.

Image: Farewell... My sweet Anna.

And thus we gain the Hovercraft. As Edbert said, we can use it to cross the shallows, indicated as small rocks in the sea. East we find the Antlion's den. And south, entering from the west, we head back to Kaipo.

Edbert is the third squishy character we get in a row. Despite being a bard, he's not a very good character imo. Low defense, low attack... He's an alright character in the story but... His singing and drink abilities are also pretty rough. The songs are chosen randomly, I think? And Drinking is eh.

The Antlion's den is Yet Another Underground Dungeon. Of the enemies here the Adamantoise and Basilisk are notable, but they don't give trouble.

We also find the Lamia Lyre, Edbert's first weapon upgrade. It has the ability to charm enemies.

Apart from his singing and potion brewing skills, Edbert can also hide. Yay.

Here's also a neat shortcut.

We find the Antlion's den.

Image: This is the Antlion's nest.

The antlion appears.

Image: Gah!
Image: It's fine, rest assured, the Antlion is a gentle creature. It does not harm humans. Let me reach for it.

The antlion attacks Edbert.

Image: Ah!
Image: Let's go, Rydia!

And here's the antlion. A face only a mother could love. Watch out for his Counter Horn. Chocobo does really good damage here.

Obtained Desert Light.

Image: This can't be... Antlion, why?
Image: Beasts have been multiplying lately. Even friendly creatures have become fierce monsters. This must be an ill omen.
Image: Let's hurry to Rosa!
Image: Yes, hurry!

Using Rydia's De-Dungeon (Warp) spell a few times, and sailing back west, we return to Kaipo.

Cecil: Rosa!

Using the Desert Light, it shines on Rosa.

Image: Mmh..
Image: Cecil! You're alive! I'm so happy...
Image: Don't push yourself too hard...
Image: I heard you were killed during the earthquake at Mist... But I knew it couldn't be true...
Image: Forgive me. Do you know anything about Golbeza?
Image: The king asked for his services to lead the Red Wings. The king has been acting more and more suspicious ever since his arrival... I just know he's using the poor king to gain the Crystals... The Water Crystal of Mysidia you took, the Fire Crystal of Damcyan, the Wind Crystal of Fabul, the Earth Crystal of Troia...

Edbert looks a little gloom.

Image: I should tell you... He has already obtained the Crystal of Fire.
Image: This man is Gilbert, he is the prince of Damcyan. We were able to heal you thanks to his help. The little girl is Rydia... From Mist.
Image: Are you alright, Miss?
Image: Why thank you for worrying, Rydia. Thanks for your help as well, Gilbert. If he's assaulted Damcyan already, then next is Fabul... We must- Cough, cough!
Image: Rosa, you're too frail right now. We'll head to Fabul ourselves, so please stay here.
Image: You can't... Mt. Hobbs' entrance is covered in thick ice...

Rosa looks to Rydia.

Image: Rydia, do you know the Fire spell?
Image: Huh? Um... No, I can't use it...
Image: But you're a Summoner, you should know the basics of Black Magic. Fire is... Cough, hack, cough!
Image: Rosa, please stay here waiting for us!

Rosa turns to Cecil.

Image: I'll be fine, I'm a White Mage. I know better than to be in your way.
Image: Hmm...

Image: Cecil... Rosa wants to be with you.
Image: I understand, Rosa. It's much too late now, rest for now and we'll be up by the morning.
Image: Cecil... Sure.

White Mage Rosa has joined the party.

That night...

And here we see Edbert head out... Seems he is heading for the nearby oasis.

Image: Sigh...

He starts to play the lyre.

Image: You must be so lonely, my sweet Anna...

Suddenly, a monster appears!

Image: Gah!

A Sahagin!

But then Anna shows up after one attack.

Image: Be brave, Gilbert!
Image: Anna!!
Image: You're not as weak as you think you are!
Image: Believe in yourself, Gilbert!
Image: I'll do my best for you, Anna!

Sahagin: Uuuhh, gurblegurble...

Image: Anna!
Image: Gilbert, I must go... Believe in your own heart...
Image: Anna, don't leave me!

Anna died on her way to her home planet.

Image: Be brave Gilbert! Golbeza mustn't obtain the Crystals! I love you, my dear. Share your love with everyone...
Image: I'll fight. I'll fight, Anna! But courage... I don't know what to do, Anna...

And with that we'll be heading to Fabul next time.
Image Image
Griflion
I'm gonna chomp ya!

Post by Griflion »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years ago
Image: Shut up, you spoony bard! (sorry i had to include the spoony bard bit)
Bard: I beg you!
As you should :D
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Lady and gentle. I just recorded 26 minutes of GBA gameplay and I'm gonna screencap and gif the f out of it when I'm feeling functional enough

don't worry i think it has spoony bard

merry christmas in ferbruary (i'll work on the aat baserom again i promise)
Image Image