(shouting)

*X3 WINNER CONGRATS TO ENJL* the one with the seasonal allergies

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Re: *X3 WINNER CONGRATS TO ENJL* the one with the seasonal allergies

Post by Ditocoaf »

I haven't been posting much because I don't have anything to add, but, just... good job, everyone. This has been great.
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Man, what a contest. Congrats, everyone, for a successful and complete package and a lot of cool people who haven't talked much coming out to comment and share their thoughts with us and everything. And thanks to PSI Ninja and everyone who came to our streams or watched the archives too ;w; Everything was awesome.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I had a lot of fun participating in this boss relay, and I find the end product to be really great. I especially liked the encore sections, which I'm glad happened. As I mentioned, I was the last person to have a turn before it was decided that the encores should be a thing, and I was fully prepared to make some dumb ending where you would just push a self destruct switch and that would be it. The actual ending turned out to be amazing.

Here's some more in depth developer commentary about my parts.
When I started my first phase I believe it still hadn't been decided that we'd be doing encores. As a result I was under the impression that my part would either be the end or ending adjacent, and so I thought to have things end with a final climb after the player survived long enough in FluffyMeatloaf's phase. I wanted to use stuff from previous phases as much as I could, so I incorporated the eye lasers from Nimono's phase, with them shooting faster the higher you get, and I also had the big eye follow you while shooting you with rinkas before ascending up to the platform at the top for the final showdown.

As for my encore, I once again wanted to use stuff from previous phases as much as possible, so once I figured out how to work with the thing WhimWidget set up with the eyes jumping between the background and foreground I used the teardrops from Nimono's encore, and the projectiles from 7NameSam's encore, which I made fire like the projectiles in Mega Man 7's Wily Capsule fight. I also made the eyes have some variance in the amount of time they took to show up, and originally I tried having them on completely independent timers, but that resulted in potential for some seriously unfair situations, so I decided to have them sync up after each wave of attacks.

Also, a small thing I forgot to mention about the relay level: while I spelt Kirbe's dialogue bad on purpose (though not as much as I could have; I didn't have him say "come through this pipe" because I thought that "through had far too many letters for him to spell properly, and somehow I didn't think to have him spell it as "thru"), "piep" was a genuine typo.
And with that, that's the end of MaGLX3. Once again, many thanks to everyone involved; I had a really great time with all of this. I'm also really glad that the contest was released publicly, giving me the opportunity to play these levels blind, and I'd love for that to become standard for future contests.

Nimono

Post by Nimono »

I actually built my Encore phase too difficult on purpose, expecting that in testing it'd get toned down

Apparently that didn't happen??? ahahaha...

I'm still proud of everything I made for it :3
acrowdofpeople

Post by acrowdofpeople »

I'm simultaneously sad I missed the opportunity to participate in the relays (I wasn't paying attention for any kind of notification for them and as far as I know none showed up) and kind of glad I didn't. I don't have much faith in my ability to design things well yet, and especially with that boss fight I don't think I would have contributed meaningfully, that looked amazing!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

and now we leave ourselves at the end of time. sitting at a table. listening to c3pcortex talk about the foibles of mankind. truly life is a miracle

sturg's heartfelt tribute was really cute. even with all the ordeals it was rad that maglx3 came out. good job everyone on the team. like literally everyone. can't wait to try and enter an eventual x4, whenever that ever happens. i'll probably make a more jp hack-ish type level.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Lunikyuu
I forgot what I was going to put here after MaGL X3

Post by Lunikyuu »

Super late post I know but I've been kinda distracted lately and I feel bad not commenting on all the super great levels in the last stretch. I have been watching and enjoying all the episodes though and lurking in the streams when my garbage sleep schedule let me. I said it on youtube but huge thanks to everyone who worked on this contest in one way or another! This was super enjoyable to watch, play, and even make a thing for. Now for some brief* thoughts on tier 12 and the postgame.

*(Future self: so that was a lie... gonna spoiler this since it ended up being a lot longer than I thought)
MAFAB 2nd - This was a really solidly designed boss imo and I liked the bullet patterns. It's always nice to see something that looks reminiscent of a bullet hell game but actually bearable to play in the smbx engine. I also liked the various heavy objects that were dropped and of course that is the best end of battle explosion effect ever.

10th - hwaah

9th - Just a really pleasant level in general. I liked the aesthetics and found the bouncing segments pretty fun to bounce through. It's a level that's on the easy side but also pretty enjoyable!

8th - I think this is the first time seeing one of Shinbison's newer levels and I'm really digging it! I do agree that the water could be a little more transparent but other than that I found it to be quite a good level which used spinies really well. Aesthetically it's probably one of my favorites as well.

7th - I liked the sort of "twist" at the beginning and how the atmosphere shifts immediately afterward. I also thought the level did some pretty cool things with glass pipes even if it felt a little scary to enter the ones in front of pits. I also liked the small mushrooms used as indicators throughout the level and of course the joke at the end as well.

6th - Hey I remember this one from that time I decided to play a few random levels last fall! This level was real great and I surprisingly found the no-coin challenge kinda fun to try to go for. The level seems pretty well built around it and even though the reward ended up kinda useless in this contest, I still found myself wanting to try it anyway.

5th - Very great level revolving around solid dodging of para-spinies and some really creative obstacles such as the enemy spawning note blocks and the usage of doors. The boss was pretty neat as well. Only thing it's really lacking is the visuals, but I don't think lack of amazing visuals detracts much from the quality of the level.

4th - Another fairly easy but still enjoyable level. I really liked the visuals a lot and I found the geyser segment at the end really cool. I feel like there could be a bit more of it but I really liked what was there. (edit: maybe it's fine length wise maybe I'm just used to more)

3rd - Admittedly I did have a lot of trouble with the boo blocks when I played this :aliceko: however! The more I see this level the more I grow to love it. I really dig the whole structure of this level in general especially with the various little minigames and secrets you can find throughout. I really wanna see more levels like this now! There are so many good levels I'm having a hard time choosing a favorite but this one's definitely up there for the flavor and structure alone!

2nd - There it is! This level was one of my favorites from the levels I played last fall! My only issue was that I didn't fully memorize the controls at the start and thus it took me about 5 minutes to get past one jump at the beginning, but I really enjoyed the other 95% of the level! Even if some of the segments were a bit long I enjoyed the setups and obstacles in the level and enjoyed playing Youmu in general (though I kinda wish there were more areas where her dash could be useful cause I feel like that could be really fun to play with) Also I may be kinda biased cause Youmu is a 2hu I kinda like. Also even though the boss was tough I enjoyed fighting her and getting better at dealing with her attack patterns.

1st - It feels really weird for a first place level to have this kind of score spread, like it doesn't feel like it should be possible or something. Admittedly the first time I played this I was playing really badly and had to redo the first part over and over so I think I can kinda feel some of zatsu's pain, however I still think this is a great level, and when I tried it again later I got to the first checkpoint no problem so maybe I was just having a bad day the first time. It's a difficult level and there were some parts I couldn't quite figure out how to do consistently but overall I still thought the design was really good, and I enjoyed the part at the end where you become the fuzzy, even if the constant bouncing can feel a little jank to some. Surprisingly even though I was trash at the rest of the level I got through the vertical and final parts first try =P

MAFAB 1st - Holy crap, this is in an entirely different league from the rest of MAFAB, in contrast with the MaGL side where it felt like several of the levels could have been winners. That's not to say the other high ranking bosses weren't great, but it's obvious a whole lot of time and talent went into making this. It truly felt like this was part of a highly polished indie game or something, well done!

Level relay - Man I kinda wish I had signed up for this now instead of retreating into the aether after finishing my level. The meat section had some moments where it got a little crazy in terms of difficulty, but it also had some pretty cool stuff too. I think my favorite part was the end of time part as it had some cool visuals and effects and the gimmick was pretty neat as well. And Sturg, you don't need to apologize, I can kinda relate to a lot of what you said. Maybe not specifically hosting a contest, but stuff like things not going according to plan, life and mental health getting in the way of stuff I should or want to do. Also 2020 has been a sucky year for pretty much all of us and I think it's understandable that it would affect something like this even if it wasn't directly effected by covid per se. In the end it was worth the wait so thank you for hosting this amazing contest!

Boss relay - Holy crap this was way more epic than I expected! I really like the idea of this giant multi-phase boss battle (with checkpoints of course) as a final boss where every phase is different but it all comes together in one coherent fight. Though the bob-omb grabbing parts are kinda why I added code in my level to try to make grabbing less jank and ended up making it jank in a completely different way instead.
Again, sorry for the super late post more than a day after this whole thing was over but I just didn't have the focus or energy to say everything I wanted to say until now and I couldn't just not say anything. This has been a great ride and I'm super glad to have been a part of it. Also I'm still stunned that so many people liked my level and even considered it their favorite. Thank you all for the kind words as well and hopefully I'll be able to keep up expectations, haha
Sorel
In the shadows
First name: Alexander
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sorel »

Chiming in a tad bit late since I kinda lost track of time and uh... didn't even know the LP started, but the section in the relay level with the big Blaarg was my part. My first level ever back in MAGLX ended with a boss fight against it, and considering I didn't have enough time to work on a level for X3 I decided to put a ghost version of it in there with a bit of idle chatter for funsies and have it reference my lack of attendance.

I didn't expect raocow to remember it, but it was fun to watch the reaction nonetheless.
Former active member, yearly lurker now.
FluffyMeatloaf
a delectable bean burrito

Post by FluffyMeatloaf »

Big thanks to all the judges, designers, and contestants that made this contest possible. And raocow, too, for playing through it all for our viewing pleasure. It turned out pretty darn good, I think.

Also this is a rather late comment, yes. Between distractions and not really knowing how to forms the words for things it just... took me a while to do this. It really shouldn't have, d'oh.