(shouting)

*X3 WINNER CONGRATS TO ENJL* the one with the seasonal allergies

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
King of GETs

Re: *MAFAB2 WINNER* the one about the corrupted girl

Post by King of GETs »

King of GETs wrote: 2 years ago The relay level and relay boss coming up next should be fun to watch. I'm very curious to see just how long the video for the relay level will be.
37 minutes 6 seconds. For some reason, I expected it to be longer, but there was a lot of difficulty balancing done in the past month, so that probably helped a lot.

All that's left is the relay boss. I'm pretty sure it won't be as long as the relay level, but it's still big in its own right.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Re: *X3 WINNER CONGRATS TO ENJL* the one with the seasonal allergies

Post by tangy »

i'm glad my section wasn't snapped
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

:kerbe:

(this post will unbreak in approximately 6 days 7 hours 23 minutes)
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: Thank You everyone

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

It's truly been a pleasure to be a part of this contest, and I give my heartfelt thanks to the staff, the judges, all amazing in their own right, and all just keeping the whole MaGLX3 experience afloat, and making this truly possible.

I will do better the next time, in all aspects. And I will come with some knowledge of programming, too.

Now then....

hotsocks.lvl: This has really been cleaned up over the months, and I thank everyone who cleaned up for it. Now then, I made a dumb section, I'm going to have commentary for it.
So the whole Axe deal came from a very stupid Mario Maker 2 level, of all things. It was very bad, was called "brother", and simply had the comment of FORTNITE!!!!!! in it. And thus, I rolled with that. Just a big ol' fashioned battle arena for good measure without any idea what's going on, and then evil overlord type dialogue to foreshadow the last parts. With a few strange bits thrown in reflecting current thought processes. ....It's probably funnier that nothing actually came from that threat, actually, hahaha. The lore of this level makes no sense, and I love it.
And I did enjoy what some of the other sections did in this relay, they were really cool. And that's really what matters, in the end. Thanks for play, raocow!
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

gonna assume the last coin is for talking to the metroid enemy in that one pipe section
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

Already got most of what I had to say in in the letter, but to say it again, thanks to everyone involved!

Also, regarding the last star coin, it is
hidden in BabyPinkSnail's screen
and if you want more of a hint
🌙
PapyrusSemi
I am the smartest moron you've ever met.
First name: Nicholas
Pronouns: any pronouns

Re: maglx3 THE MOVIE

Post by PapyrusSemi »

I was gonna talk about every section in the level, but then I realized how far above my pay grade it was. In summary, I kinda wish I made a screen, but it's a bit too late for that.

However, for the sake of completeness, I will enclose what I had written down.
This is the first time in what might just be a month where raocow had to split an episode into two, Buckle in, crew, we're gonna be here all night.

??: Welcome To Die
I love how the Blinking Block parkour is basically something out of Celeste's B-Sides. As well, what's great is how you simply have to unceremoniously impale yourself on a Spike Block all the way at the top to die. It's also surprisingly cheese-proof, with it being really inconvenient to try and ditch a Blue Shoe so that the spikes can hurt you without falling down. Though, would you really cheese the final X-world entrance in the first place?
Also, I really like how dramatic the buildup to it is, and how the Tower of Infinity suddenly took root in the Café Beyond Memory, with its galactic checkered floors. Though, you can't see the multiverse in it, by means of the Café being, arguably, outside the universe.

X12: hotsocks.lvlx
By talkhaus
Here, we watch rao take flight from his apartment thing (which is now floating several miles above Canada now) with a special P-Wing. Also, this is the definition of quick-respawn. Even quicker than the normal "quick" option, Super Mario Maker trembles in its wake.
Because I'm an idiot, I will be discussing every screen individually.

Zone 1
SAJewers:
This is definitely a great way to begin the level: A throwback to X0 (or is it XX?), with the staff and an army of Toads congratulating us on completing all 152 entries (164 counting MaFAB2) and 99% completion of MaGLX3, and safe travels as we disembark to collect the final SMB3 Stars. Also, the sheer concept of having a P-Wing (by merit of the wingman cheat, applied to the entire level) that he can't lose is great.

Rednalexa:
This room does a fairly good job easing the player into the mechanics of the level. Also, since the path forward is deceptively tight (perhaps due to the hitbox shenanigans from XHard Level, thus inadvertently showcasing the fact that you can't lose it.

Samuel "raocow" "Arthur Video 'Videogames' Games" Tanguay, Lord King of Videogames:
brilliant. fucking masterful level design right here

Electriking:
Honestly, with the Disco Shell carrying a pair of switches, this segment looks like it would be right at home in the proper contest. Though, I second rao in that this level looks like it was designed for legs, not flight. Unless landing is a dastardly trap that makes you lose your flight.

Joseph Staleknight:
Hey, you remember the one level with all the Cataboos? Yeah, the aesthetics of that one are back for more. However, I will need to harm you for making the top path a dead end with no way to see it coming.
[addendum: i keep my phone's brightness low. i could see through on my laptop, so this one is on me]
Zone 2
[At that point, I decided I didn't want to do the rest.]
Also, as I now know what Sturg's voice sounds like, I shall discontinue pronouncing his name with a soft g and reading everything he says in a Dr. Neo Cortex voice effective immediately.
Last edited by PapyrusSemi 2 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
"i have a unicycle for a frontal lobe and the devil rides its pedals"
-Twitter user @bonvibaee

:ace_pride: :trans_pride: :nb_pride: :gq_pride:
Hoeloe
A2XT person
Pronouns: she/her

Re: maglx3 THE MOVIE

Post by Hoeloe »

PapyrusSemi wrote: 2 years ago how the Tower of Infinity suddenly took root in the Café Beyond Memory, with its galactic checkered floors.
Fun fact: This was not the case until yesterday. It was a very last minute suggestion, and one I'm really glad got implemented in time.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Rednaxela wrote: 2 years ago Already got most of what I had to say in in the letter, but to say it again, thanks to everyone involved!

Also, regarding the last star coin, it is
hidden in BabyPinkSnail's screen
and if you want more of a hint
🌙

haha is it like kirby where the moon is a door

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

This just got added

Listening to Sturg's commentary in today's video (2nd half), I want to say that there were indeed many people that contributed to help get the contest finished, but I have some thoughts to share towards the judges in particular:

Rameau's Nephew: All I gotta say is that you single-handedly rescued the contest with expedited judging. And going through judging quickly does not mean you compromised on the content; I enjoyed the detailed exposition and the format of listing plus and minus points and 'other' things to note.

Zatsupachi: The MAGLX2 level you made was one of the few I playtested and reviewed for that contest and I'm glad you returned the favor with my level for this contest. And although I do think there were some judge comments that could have been done better, I want to acknowledge the amount of time and effort that was put into judging. I wasn't aware of there being a word limit for the comments, but I think it was counterproductive when seeing Sturg and particularly Rameau's Nephew write lengthy descriptions in adjacency. Many of these levels are long and it's hard to describe them in such short paragraphs; it helps when you can freely talk about the levels and give explanations to back up the scores you give.

Sturg: It's true that there were very long delays and sure, you might have had some role in that, but it shouldn't be your fault. I think there were just some decisions in the whole process that, looking back, could have been handled differently - I still feel the indecision and sort of flip-flopping on whether to wait for a new build of SMBX was a mistake. But, you know, in the end this got released successfully. I don't think you need to feel bad about 2020 being a tough year. The COVID-19 pandemic was and is a serious thing that affects people.

Good Job
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

So we've finally made it to the relay level. I don't think my "level comments" thing I've been doing will work for something like this, so I'll just speak about it broadly. And I have to say, I found this to be really fun. Thank you to everyone who made a screen for this, and thank you to everyone who did post production work to make this the best that it could be (from what I saw just from keeping an eye on things, that image in Justice Man's comment seems accurate). And while I'm thanking people, thank you to the judges, the staff, and, of course, the level makers for making this contest happen. All in all, I had a great time, and it's all thanks to you all.

Since I made a screen for this I have some developer commentary for my section.
First of all, as mentioned in the level itself, raocow misread my name as "LunarianShyGuy" in the MaGLX2 relay level, which I found funny, and so I had to reference that here, complete with a pair of rabbit ears (which I believe I took from Super Mario Land 2). I'm glad I was able to make raocow laugh. Also I just recently realized that I ended up referencing Touhou 15 twice this contest just by coincidence.

A bit before my turn came up I played through things to get some inspiration, and upon seeing that my screen would probably be in time zone, I decided to implement a time stopping ability. At first I wasn't sure whether to just make it active for my screen or leave it active for other people to use. Once my turn came though I saw how many messages there were saying "we're almost at kerbe land" in some form, and I thought it would be a bit silly for the section to go on much longer, especially after the big sign pointing to kerbe land, so I decided to kill two birds with one stone by having the clock man banish you for stopping time, with that being the end of the section.

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

reject maglx, return to magl (hope a lot of you enter, i'll try to work on tutorials for people, since i'm making an asm level it'll be hard)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Hoeloe
A2XT person

Post by Hoeloe »

ano0maly wrote: 2 years ago I wasn't aware of there being a word limit for the comments, but I think it was counterproductive when seeing Sturg and particularly Rameau's Nephew write lengthy descriptions in adjacency.
For some background on this: The word limit was decided on very early, when it was assumed that judge comments would be displayed in a similar manner to X2. It wasn't known at the time that the hub designers would be building a fancy UI to display the comments, and had that not been done, long-form comments like Sturg and Rameau's couldn't have been done either. The UI was decided on way later, after judges had dropped out, and the word limit was also dropped to expediate the judging process.
Rednaxela
Maker of Shenanigans
Pronouns: they/them
https://rednaxela.talkhaus.com

Post by Rednaxela »

KobaBeach wrote: 2 years agoreject maglx, return to magl
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

it's funny that word limits actually hampered judge involvement, to some extent. you'd figure it'd be the other way, forcing people not to write as much... but then i'm someone who never made an editing pass over their school essays.

stuff like this level are such a cool creative expression, love to see how people mesh their ideas in the short and long terms.

actually, covid was mentioned before on raocow's channel: in one episode of shadow the hedgehog, shadow says "I need to go to Northopolis for the chaos emerald... but their damn COVID-19 travel restrictions are still up!" and ultimately decides against it, stating that "I am Shadow the Hedgehog, and I am NOT a superspreader, that is NOT who I am."
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Post by Sniggerb0bble »

haha wow, I didn't want to spoil what was made after I set up the end of time section, but people followed on really well. A lot of really clever ideas and thematic iterations came together.
I hope I didn't make people feel too constrained or cause too many problems in cleanup, but the end result is great (this goes for the whole level, great work from everyone!)

Also Clock Man is a joy
Clock Man is precious

Thanks relay team and MaGLX3 team in general for all the work you've done - it was a bumpy road I'm sure but it all came through in the end and everyone should be proud
ElTipsta
Super Cute and Adorable

Post by ElTipsta »

the postgame for MAGLX3 is really good. loved the castle boss in particular.

Haven't watched Enjl's level yet but will soon enough.

also Sturg's message is really sweet. take all the time off you need Sturg, you've earned it.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

next time: a purple dragon
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

And that's the news!
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: BARK relay (It's the end!)

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

But first, a word from our sponsors.

Have YOU saved 15% or more?

This... was all truly wonderful. I'm sad to see it go, but also very happy to see a purple dragon on the horizon. I'm proud of pretty much everyone here. Especially raocow. You made this excellent playthrough for all of us. Also thanks to TaviTurnip and Zygl for keeping up their stream of this to the very end. Just... thank you, everyone.

One last analysis, and we're done.

Pyramid Circumference Bricks Alteration: Message of the Dastardly Bark Dog: This is an excellent name for the boss relay. And I'm glad my suffering computer at the time was not there to drag it down into the depths of the underworld or something. What you all did was wonderful. There's really only one or two dodgy segments of this, but they're definitely still possible, and the checkpointing is very nice here. The ending sequence was so cool, and the execution on it just brings this contest to a wonderful close. So many cool attacks and mechanics. There's lots going on, but also lots of control the player has.

....Thanks, Sturg.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
PapyrusSemi
I am the smartest moron you've ever met.
First name: Nicholas
Pronouns: any pronouns

Re: end of maglx3

Post by PapyrusSemi »

The ultimate challenge awaits:

☆X: Pyramid Circumference Bricks Altercation: Message of the Dastardly Jazz Dog
By talkhaus
This boss is a freaking marathon so I refuse to do the entire thing, but if I had a nickle for every bonus boss in a MaGL-series contest which used Kingdom Hearts music, I'd have two nickels.
Every phase is more "Holy shit" than the last, and I am thoroughly convinced that changing the grab mechanics in iauaepo permanently altered how he attempts to play SMBX, hence why he had so much trouble grabbing bombs. Or maybe they are that inconsistent and that's why the grab mechanics were changed.

X140th: Papyrus Semi and the Goodbye Spiel
Feel free to put on any music you'd want.

Man, it really is over. That was one hell of a ride. In total, we've seen:
  • 152 contest entries, plus 24 bosses, 6 application levels, 12 developer levels and two community marathons for a simply astounding 196 total levels
  • 207 exits to move from one level to the next
  • 237 Power Stars, both SMB3 and SMW, to open all the doors aboard the Satellite of Semantics
  • 71 Star Coins, hidden deviously as can be
  • 1823 demos, unless the quick-respawn has something to say about it
  • An amassment of 9,052,220 points to our name
  • Multiple Communists
  • Two utterly buck-wild theories that ultimately connected all of this nonsense to the crossover web and, by extension, Super Smash Bros. Ultimate
  • 63 hours, 53 minutes, 24 seconds, and 738 milliseconds of MaGLX3, equal to more than 2 and a half days
  • More gameplay changes than you can shake a stick at
  • And one quarter-year-long playthrough full of spills, chills, and thrills by, arguably, one of the best Quebecois people out there
Honestly, when I submitted Ponty Mython and the Grrroly Hail, I just did it because I decided I didn't dig my grave deep enough with MaGMML3, and the contest completely slipped my mind until the last minute, when I slapped something together in like 5 hours so my name could be in the credits.
And, well, I didn't expect that it would lead us here. Making witty comments on every level for over two whole months, on a website which I never even touched between entering and one of the levels. And, in that time, I feel like I might've changed a bit. Gotten to know people I otherwise would've. And, honestly, I don't regret a thing.

See you all on the flipside, everyone.
Last edited by PapyrusSemi 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
"i have a unicycle for a frontal lobe and the devil rides its pedals"
-Twitter user @bonvibaee

:ace_pride: :trans_pride: :nb_pride: :gq_pride:
RudeGuy

Post by RudeGuy »

I just want to say that, despite my contributions to this whole episode amounting to a single screen, I really had a wonderful time watching these videos in these past months. thanks, raocow, sturg, and everyone else who partecipated.
also, uh, that last boss was really something. ESPECIALLY the ending sequence, I love it.
King of GETs

Post by King of GETs »

As far as the missed NPC text in my section goes, all she said was, "Howdy!"

I had only seen up to the starting outside part of the boss, so it was interesting to see Saki integrated into later sections. The custom text box was an especially nice touch. The boss was an amalgamation of complete and utter nonsense, and I wouldn't have it any other way. I remember feeling a little burnt out after finishing my section as I had participated in every single thing the contest had to offer since I wanted the "Full MaGLX3 Experience", but it was worth it as I had a lot of fun.

As others have pointed out, MaGL4 might be starting soon, so MaGLX4 won't be starting for a while. This is probably for the best to let people rest and get ready for it.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I didn't really say anything this entire LP but it was really fun and amazing to watch*, just seeing what people can do with SMBX now and all that. The last few episodes in particular were a blast! And almost makes me wish I participated just so I could contribute to the relay levels haha.

Also, I will say, I'm glad that Maglx3 didn't have a X2 sized postgame. X3's was perfect.

*once we got past the not good levels of course, though some of those were entertaining in their own way
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Missing the third Star Coin in hotsocks.lvlx was unfortunate, and that happened to me as well. The entire relay was great, it had some of the craziest stuff that I've ever seen raocow's community put out, but my enjoyment was dampened by constantly worrying that I missed a Star Coin somewhere. Maybe putting Star Coins in the relay should've been prohibited. Because it's a total bummer to have to comb through the entire level to find the missing Star Coin and beat it again, especially when it wasn't in plain sight like the others. It kind of spoiled the sense of finality the level had for me.

As for the boss relay, it was awesome. It wasn't too hard thanks to the generous checkpointing, but the only parts I had trouble with were WhimWidget's first phase and Nimono's encore. Whim's phase took me a bunch of deaths to figure out that you can just hold the glowing Phanto to shoot bombs upwards. It was hard to tell what was going on because of all the hectic action on-screen. Nimono's phase was just plain difficult with all the attacks you had to dodge. I died a lot before I found a good strat, but that's not to say I found it bad.

Below is a repost of my YouTube comment, with my final thoughts on MaGLX3/MaFAB2 as a whole:

-----

First of all, this compilation was the second SMBX game I ever played (after The Invasion 2 several years ago), and I (re)learned a lot about how this engine controls and its various quirks. Shoutout to the Tavi/Zygl streams, which taught me a lot about the various glitches and tricks you can do in SMBX. Since they streamed during my work hours, I was only able to tune in live a couple of times. :sad: I saw a good number of the VODs though, keeping them in the background. With all the time spent playing through this game, SMBX controls and mechanics feel really natural and good to me now, despite hitbox shenanigans.

I thought it was a good idea to publicly release the episode from the start. Being able to play alongside the LP allowed me (and others) to have better insight into what raocow was experiencing, instead of just watching the videos and commenting on them. I'm pleased that the audience abided by the honor system and didn't spoil any placements - I'm proud of the community for respecting that. I hope that in future MaGLXes, releasing the results episode before the official LP will be the standard protocol. The choice of not having to wait potentially months to learn where people placed is nice.

As for the new characters like Klonoa and Broadsword, it seems like I didn't have the typical experience. I thought Klonoa controlled fine, although I had no expectations since I've never played a Klonoa game before. It was actually in levels where his physics got modified that I had trouble using Klonoa (like Dog In Da Grass' level). But that didn't make it less enjoyable. Broadsword I feel has a lot of potential. I thought that his combo and mid-air combo attacks were cool and unique (they also gave you invincibility frames, I think). Maybe part of the reason why I don't dislike Broadsword is because I never had issues with accidentally downthrusting like raocow did. Interesting how people with different play styles can have game-changing experiences. I read somewhere that there are plans to cancel out of the downthrust, which should also serve to fix potential softlocks.

Big Wario's dash mechanic feels really great, but I had to map alt run to my controller's "R" button like in Wario Land 4. The biggest issue with Wario was losing most of your abilities when you're small, and I felt that some of the levels featuring him didn't effectively design around that. Not sure what the development team's consensus is regarding Wario. Keep him the way he is and trust that level designers will work around the limitations, or make him not shrink when taking a hit and just give him health? It'll be interesting to see what changes are made to these characters in future SMBX2 updates, because they may significantly affect future playthroughs of this contest (e.g., some levels might break and/or not give the original, intended experience).

Regarding hub organization, I'm glad it was possible to intersperse playing the Tier X levels with the regular contest levels. Doing it this way didn't take too much attention away from the contestants, as opposed to lumping all the extra content at the very end. Also, I appreciated that the lowest tier of levels wasn't outright called the "Garbage Tier" or something similar, like some other contests do. I always felt that was in poor taste, because most people don't purposefully aim for the bottom of the barrel with their entries.

Finally, I liked the gimmick of using sets of terms to help inspire a level. It was a good way to keep things relatively open, due to the many combinations that were possible. To be honest, I never really liked the MaGLX and MaGLX2 "Mad Libs" title gimmick. I thought it was too restrictive, and the "hard" level names a lot of people used always sounded too stilted and same-y for my tastes. Probably an unpopular opinion, because I realize that was part of the charm.

These past four months have been a wild ride. Thank you to everyone involved (judges, staff, contestants, viewers, and raocow) for such an amazing experience. Looking forward to the MaGLX4 sign-ups hopefully some time in 2022 maybe.