(shouting)

*X3 WINNER CONGRATS TO ENJL* the one with the seasonal allergies

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: -6- the one with the scorching fairy

Post by Grounder »

life has many doors, ed-boy
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

today in bussy swamp we play hotel mario and wrecked ship from vip5
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: 5 everyman Beetles

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

Man, Top 5 not pulling any punches here. Today only improves my excitement.

5th - Possi Swamp: WOW. The only weak part of this level are the simple aesthetics, and the only lame part is the minimal text humor, but those both just feel right at home here. This level's gameplay is AMAZING. So many notions about layers broken, and that all makes this level super memorable and an utter blast to go through. There's rough timing challenges throughout, but with a keen eye, the safe spots show up with a very generous window, more so than you'd expect. The doors. The DOORS are used in such a fantastic way. The fact that the Spinys can't be jumped on here actually improves the experience, I think. Especially for the boss section, which is just a wonderful ribbon testing everything you know about the level, and just a fantastic reward for on-the-fly thinking. The everyman *would* have trouble here, but I think even they will find great satisfaction from this.

This level is simply mastercrafted, and I can't say enough good things about it. This would have won the past two MaGLX contests. What a fantastic level...
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

= Level Comments =

Possi Swamp: I really liked this level, although I did have a few small issues. I think my biggest issue (which isn't really that big of an issue) is that I feel like the moving doors could use a bit more of an introduction before throwing you into dangerous obstacles involving them. Then again, I also felt like this level was maybe just a bit too long, and making it longer would do the opposite of solving that problem. There is the option of dropping down from the first moving door in order to get some practice, which is something I kind of wanted to do when I saw what the next obstacle was, but I had already jumped up past the point of no return before looking at the next obstacle, making that not an option for me. On the note of this feeling too long, I can understand why people wouldn't like the switch part at the end, but I thought it was fine.

Other than the issues I just described I found this level to be great. I feel like I don't typically spin jump on enemies super often, so I kind of liked that these enemies weren't spin jumpable and you just had to avoid them. I really liked the part where you have to try to avoid releasing too many enemies from note blocks, and while I did find the introduction to the moving doors to be a bit rough, I did otherwise enjoy everything this level did with doors (also I feel that it's worth noting that you can just hold up to go in all the doors). I also enjoyed the autoscrolling section with all the moving layers, and I found the final section to be a good conclusion.

I did find the bonus term being "lame" to be a bit weird though. Looking it up, one of the definitions is: "(especially of an animal) unable to walk without difficulty as the result of an injury or illness affecting the leg or foot.", which I suppose one could say ties into the fact that you can't spin jump on these enemies, but that seems like a really big stretch.

= End of Level Comments =

PapyrusSemi
I am the smartest moron you've ever met.
First name: Nicholas
Pronouns: any pronouns

Re: -FIVE- the one with the marshy doors

Post by PapyrusSemi »

TOP FIVE! GIVE IT UP FOR THE TOP FIVE OF MAGLX3!

5th: Possi Swamp
By MrCaves
That's right, the top 5 is getting unique font colours!
So, the primary gimmick is interesting: Classic spiky goons, but with one twist: you can't spin-jump on them. Like several things prior, this one change dramatically effects how the level is played, requiring actual timing to not just get... Possied?
The first room does an alright job at introducing the Possis (At least, I'm assuming that's what they're called). The first few are relatively harmless, but things soon get bonkers as you need to dodge and weave through one heck of a ride. One door later, the next room introduces a small but outstanding gimmick: Possis in Note Blocks. The first few are, again, pretty straight forwards, but you soon find yourself thinking twice about landing on a foothold, because almost all of them hide Possis, and you need to hit as few as possible if you don't want the way forwards to become a Possi-filled spiky mess.
The guitar part is also pretty interesting, but it rapidly collapses into Possi Hell unless you're pretty much God. I personally feel like maybe it and the following segment (with the circling Possis) should've swapped possitions. (See what I did there?) The room with the crazy Possi track shapes was definitely intriguing. Following some classic raocow Failing To Get The Obvious Hint™ about how to use the doors, the door-dodging is definitely real alright, and the dodge-warping (basically Mario's version of a dodge-roll) was certainly something to see. The Possi Door Clocks are really something that happens. But, surely, I'm not the only one who immediately saw what would happen when you took one, right? Also, the first Blue Possi shows up.
After this, THE POSSIS ARE MOVING THE DOORS! This part does look like a bit of jank, until you figure out the code: you exit the door on the second creak, so time your inputs with the creaking sounds to go to the top, and (possibly) avoid Possination. The first row is certainly complex, but the second is simpler, aside from the fast Possis. The third one looks like a total clusterfuck, but it's actually quite manageable. And, the last one, where the Possi literally carries you through a wall of its bretheren was definitely cool.
One checkpoint later, not unlike the forbidden editor tab, the Possis are carrying Possis! The first segment is mostly just messing around on the Note Blocks, trying to avoid the Possi duplexes, but I can't help but feel like the screen continuing to autoscroll as you hit the Possis might break something. Either way, the Red Possi shutter was definitely a cool idea, and then suddenly, in what looks like a breather room, a red one tries to crush you with a spiked ceiling, and fails miserably, not unlike the Flipri trying to put out fire with their snowballs. And, suddenly, there are what look like Possis riding Possis riding Possis! Or maybe it's just more Possis riding Possis and the nature of autoscroll makes it feel like there are more concentric layers of Possi.
After that is the boss fight, against what I can only presume is King Possi. It's a simple "don't get plowed by the dude chasing you" type of level-boss. The third(?) Blue Possi shows up, and then raocow made a Scooby-Doo noise. The door-dodging is brought back suddenly, with you using it to sidestep King Possi's onslaught, while also dodging between Possi subordinates. Then there's a pair of obvious fake-out switch blocks which, if you hit them, you deserve to get swept off a cliff by King Possi. The switch block mechanic from the Possi Note Block zone returns, and some switch flippin' and side-steppin' later, and King Possi has been, by the :rao: decree, given the name of Rauer, and there's some small star formations the Possis make, letting you see just how much faster Blue Possis are. The Power Star is just outside, bringing an end to Rauer's reign.
All in all, this is a pretty solid level. I can fully see the Parabeetle (ergo, Possi) and Wrathful (Rauer) terms' usage. Swamp, I can kinda see, but I personally would've expected more water, or at least muck that acts like quicksand. And, as for Lame, I can't quite see it, in either the "boring" sense or the "missing limbs" sense. Though, one quick Google search later, and Lame actually means "unable to walk without difficulty", which I suppose makes sense given how the Possis lack legs, and are covered in spikes which would lame Mario were he to stomp them.
Also, this level could've used a checkpoint at the start of each zone, instead of only a couple.

Also, I've run the numbers, and assuming that no level takes more than one video and no video features more than one level, there are exactly seven levels left, or a week's worth: 4th, 3rd, 2nd, 1st, the final boss, X12, and the mysterious final Tier X level which I swear I could see on the Tier X list. Assuming that no shenanigans occur and there isn't secretly, like, Tier Y or something, this sets this LP's end date to...

Saturday, August 7th, 2021, at 5:30 PM EST.
"i have a unicycle for a frontal lobe and the devil rides its pedals"
-Twitter user @bonvibaee

:ace_pride: :trans_pride: :nb_pride: :gq_pride:
King of GETs

Post by King of GETs »

Doomsday approaches.

Less than 59 hours remain until arguably the most controversial contest placements in MaGLX history (and it could be positive or negative depending on your perspective).

:catplanet2:
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

King of GETs wrote: 2 years ago
Just because you looked ahead and have opinions doesn't mean you should be priming everyone else with that opinion which they may not even agree with.
We made it like, 4 months without spoilers. Can we not stumble right before the finish line?
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Enjl wrote: 2 years ago
King of GETs wrote: 2 years ago
Just because you looked ahead and have opinions doesn't mean you should be priming everyone else with that opinion which they may not even agree with.
We made it like, 4 months without spoilers. Can we not stumble right before the finish line?
I mean, the top few of every contest raocow has done has pretty much been controversial.

There's a reason contest LPs tend to not have a great reputation in the community (especially among people who have watched raocow for quite a while)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i can't believe i got fourth place despite not entering
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

wow I can;t believe kamierex blast was the secret first place all along
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

King of GETs wrote: 2 years ago Doomsday approaches.

Less than 59 hours remain until arguably the most controversial contest placements in MaGLX history (and it could be positive or negative depending on your perspective).

Compared to previous contest LPs, people have been relatively chill. I'm going to make a counter-prediction that we continue to be relatively chill. Let's try to enjoy the experience and give things a chance to go well before preemptively doomsaying!
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

question

does this level happen before or after bowser builds an onsen
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

today's level confirms that placing high in maglx3 can be achieved simply by the use of freedom planet music
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
LunarRainbowShyGuy

I forgot to say something about it last time, but I really liked the MaFAB contest, and I'd like to see it continue to appear alongside future MaGLX contests.

= Level Comments =

Uwaah!! This hot springs is so hot!!!: I found this level to be pretty fun. I do agree with Rameau though about the big area with the red coins kind of breaking the flow of the level, but as he said it's not a big issue. Something that I had a little bit more of an issue with is the fact that the rocks here are actually modified Tweeters. Considering that rocks are in SMBX I generally expect them to bounce a certain way, so to see them with the jumping pattern of Tweeters really threw me off. That's still not a huge issue, and I still found this level to be enjoyable overall.

Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Re: Four Japanese hot springs

I mused that everything finished on time for me to partake in the video on time... and then I got sidetracked anyways. At least it's still not a full day cycle, so.....

4th - Uwaah!! This hot springs is so hot!!!: Hah, Rameau's comment of first-place contender.... looks like it still got this far anyways, regardless of the very blatant non-use of Tweeters (which were resprited into rocks). That aside, this level is once again very good. Music is great and fits the level, it looks lovely, and is perfectly believable as a hot spring, and the gameplay elements are sometimes new and unique, such as the water geysers, with the vertical autoscrolling geyser section being particularly memorable, if the weakest part design-wise. But it's not really a big deal, as it's still very fun, and you do have enough powerups and checkpoints to have a calming and relaxing trip through the hot springs.

Truly, a wonderful job making this level. May you not drop your glitchy piece, Airship.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Sturg
Gets his freak on with VGM
First name: sturgyman

Post by Sturg »

Cyril wrote: 2 years ago today's level confirms that placing high in maglx3 can be achieved simply by the use of freedom planet music
actually true
ImageImage
Image ImageImage
RIP FISH NIPPLE BANNER
PapyrusSemi
I am the smartest moron you've ever met.
First name: Nicholas
Pronouns: any pronouns

Re: -FOUR- the one with the steamy sumos

Post by PapyrusSemi »

Did you know? raocow is (probably) derived from the word making or constituting a disturbingly harsh and loud noise, which is an accurate description of those that he sometimes makes.
4th: Uwaah!! This hot springs is so hot!!!!
By AirShip
That is definitely one hell of a title there.
First, the title card is pretty neat. Probably won't be any more on either side of this one, but I shan't make any guarantees, because I know not what is past here, and my memory of the past levels is pretty bad.
The first area is pretty much just to establish "Hey, you're in a steamy area with lots of Sumo Bros, and also Peach", and it does an alright job at that. The cave is where the level really begins. In addition to looking really pretty, partly by blending the cave foreground and outdoor background, this part also inrtoduces the mechanic right off the bat: Water geysers which work like water boxes. You can hop into one and swim around in it. The top does look like it should be solid, if not having the entire structure propel you straight up like in NSMB, but for what SMBX is worth, it's definitely pretty alright. The stompin' Sumo Bros. are also pretty nifty, basically just being passive hazards which risk obliviously destroying you if you don't pay attention to them. The combination of the geyser to slow the player down and the Sumo Bro hazard was pretty neat.
After that, the other major gimmick here is shown off: Like in real life, the geysers move up and down. Hovering a Floating Mine on one to make a narrow hop was also pretty clever. And then one super-tall geyser just flings an endless stream of them up and off the top of the screen. And then some Spin Jump parkour, and then more complex uses of the carried Floating Mines ensues,
Back outside, a checkpoint is present, because I never noticed that this video is only 11 minutes long. This area features some Piranha Plants, which don't really pose much of a threat because of the handed-out Fire Flower. The Red Coins are incredibly enticing to collect, given how, unlike the Dagadons, they're only here after the checkpoint and thus, more likely to dole out the second Star. (Also, you could tell that it's not an exit star because there's only one exit flag outside.) The explorative aspect of this level is a bit embraced, but only about as much as a Super Mario Maker level.
The fact that you're gonna get an extra Star is soon made obvious because there's literally a grayed-out Star. Some spot of parkour and disobedience later, and the Star is here for the taking. The moving and spike-topped geysers are combined, to make some moving spiky hazards which require you to think about whether you should try to jump over or crawl under each one. I thought you could ride the last one up, but I just didn't see the giant turnip above it.
Past the next checkpoint, using a POW Block to create an earthquake to cause the geysers to rise is honestly a twist I did not expect. Autoscroll soon begins, as you need to navigate what can only be described as a half-underwater section. However, the screen continuing to scroll when you get hit rears its head again here, and I doubt that's good for a section like this. At the end, Rip Van Fish are added to the equation, but I'm not sure whether they were expected to be immobile on the ground. Either way, the level comes to its conclusion, with Mario travelling at approximately 3.75 times the speed of the average person in order to ensure that Peach is safe.
As for the "good times", it's basically up to interpretation about what it is, but I think I have an idea... ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

possible spoilers below!
King of GETs wrote: 2 years ago Doomsday approaches.

All right, campers. I heard from an anonymous source that SOMEONE was spoiling MaGLX3!
Not cool, dudes.
"i have a unicycle for a frontal lobe and the devil rides its pedals"
-Twitter user @bonvibaee

:ace_pride: :trans_pride: :nb_pride: :gq_pride:
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

i'd love to see more levels like 3rd place in the future. rarely do levels just feel like fun places to visit, and that's a bit of a shame i think.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Post by FrozenQuills »

copypasta-ing my youtube comment over to here:
The goal of Maglx*3* is to get *3rd*, right?

Here are my unused terms for those wondering:

-Village
-Streets
-Ocean Cruise

Adjective:
-Hollow
-Hot
-Festive
-Tubular

NPC:
-Rip van Fish (omg not again)
-Blaarg
-Bully

I was originally going to do something much less ambitious than this, like a hot furnace (easy mode) or a phantom village. And then I remembered GamesDoneQuick is a charity event that existed, and I think SGDQ2019 was being planned around the time MaGLX3 was happening. I had to use the goofy charity event location at that point. I also went with a ghost house vibe since I got the Phantom adjective and thought "Hey that would be a cool mix: it would be an endless charity event at a ghost-house-ish resort, and that means raocow could speedrun MaGLX2 since it's so long haha". But I had to use a lot of textboxes to convey all of this, unfortunately for some.

However, I'm really happy that the writing/jokes were one of the positive points, at least for Rameau and Sturg. I've never been complimented on my writing before.

Anyway, the charity event setting really helped guide my design: I can have the player obtain enough money through various puzzles and minigames to donate for the star in a non-linear fashion. It ended up feeling like an A2XT town level, but with additional gameplay and side quests. I'm glad that went over well for the most part.

I also tried to build my level around custom-made boo blocks and SMBX's wacky momentum to better adhere to the "Phantom" adjective, which was quite fun to design, though potentially janky/frustrating to play. That's the JUMP/YUMP vibe of my design style coming in; my levels tend to be somewhat difficult. I actually tried to tone down the difficulty of the level too, and it still got 4 mushrooms, the highest we've seen in the top 10 so far lol.

In the end, I did too well to be a part of the Tier 11-X chase scene, too poorly to actually win, but just right to get a big door, so that's cool.
But yeah, this was a lot of fun to make and I'm super happy raocow enjoyed too. I was always fearing it was too hard but wow, a podium placement for this is just amazing. :catplanet:

And by the way, to get the last 10,000 dollars you need to

talk to the bony fish in the pool zone, which you can get to by kicking the baggage cart into the boo blocks at the bottom of the pool to let it push you into the bony fish area

Last edited by FrozenQuills 2 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
Zipper
huh...

Post by Zipper »

Enjl wrote: 2 years ago i'd love to see more levels like 3rd place in the future. rarely do levels just feel like fun places to visit, and that's a bit of a shame i think.
Someone should make a "Mario in the Olympic Games" level, that sounds like a novel idea.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

= Level Comments =

SGDQ20XX: I really enjoyed this level, to the point that I'm trying to type things before I've thought of anything to say because I'm just that enthusiastic about it. I enjoyed all the jokes and references in the dialogue here, and I liked all of the minigames here as well.

It seems that some of the judges didn't like the Boo Blocks that are present here, but I didn't find them to be an issue at all; you can deal with most of them fairly easily by just running at them, jumping, and then briefly tapping the opposite direction to face the other way.

One thing I did find a bit awkward though was the fact that the Sparkies bounce off of the Boo Blocks; one thing that happened to me a number of times was me thinking they were through the blocks, only to turn around and still have the Sparkies change direction. That was a relatively small issue though, and I still had a lot of fun here overall.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

if there's one change i'd make, i'd give the big boo the spooky speedster helmet

that's a super, nitpick though

lovely level
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!

Re: 3 larf-tastic tricks

Rameau doing the heavy lifting this time here.

3rd - SGDQ20XX: ...You should have hired Zygl to do the MaGLX2 run, man. This level is amazing, FrozenQuills. Just an S-tier quality level with writing every bit as good. I love the premise, I love the minigame, and I can respect the Boo Blocks reviving an incredibly janky stipulation that was popular around here, but in a much more forgiving fashion.

The level also just looks great and 100% natural throughout. The Boo Blocks just look like they're part of the engine, even though they're completely chocolate in origin. The minigames look like some of those older games, which is a fantastic touch. The outdoor section is definitely more difficult than the rest of the level by far, but it never really gets unfair, though it really goes in on the Boo Block usage. Speedrunners would enjoy this level, and REALLY enjoy that last section. You've outdone yourself again, and I, for one, am proud of you.

I don't know what forms the next levels could take, but man, I'm so looking forward to them.

...Man, the spooky speedster helmet is a good suggestion. Though this is also fine. The neutral face is real strong even still.
(It was about time)
FrozenQuills
hehe haha 2024

Re: -T-H-R-E-E- the one with the bonus incentive

Post by FrozenQuills »

oh right here are some fun facts about this entry:
- this level has over 1000 lines of (inefficient) lua code
- all the money npcs say something different after you get money from them
- there is a honk at the end of the level, which is a callback to talking time
- if you match or beat my personal best time at the super happy shell fun time minigame, you get a special message
- this level broke over the judging period due to smbx2 updates in a few areas, so that was fun
SMBX Tileset Compiler and Separator
The boss entry that made me eat a shoe.

5th place counter: 5
(SMBX Forums CC11, SMBX Forums CC12, Endgame Madness Contest, SMWC Kaizo Contest 2016, SMWC 24hr Contest 2018)
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: -T-H-R-E-E- the one with the bonus incentive

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

was the final race based on You vs Boo by any chance?