(shouting)

*X3 WINNER CONGRATS TO ENJL* the one with the seasonal allergies

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: squarshetti squeels (MaGLX3)

Post by Leet »

the contest encourages you to use cheats on any level you find unreasonable for a reason, or to just skip past entire worlds if you want to. you absolutely have the free will to not play this level if you feel it is not suited to your skillset. treating singular persons creations as if they were AAA Products trying to Market themselves to All Audiences is a terrible road to go down
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
krisu

Post by krisu »

Leet wrote: 2 years ago the contest encourages you to use cheats on any level you find unreasonable for a reason, or to just skip past entire worlds if you want to. you absolutely have the free will to not play this level if you feel it is not suited to your skillset.
IIRC, you can't access all the worlds if you haven't beat majority of the levels. I could be wrong. Also, using accessbility options at menu (let's not call them cheats anymore, it's 2021) still makes this level annoying to do and boring, no matter what.
Leet wrote: 2 years ago treating singular persons creations as if they were AAA Products trying to Market themselves to All Audiences is a terrible road to go down
I'm not expecting every single level be polished AAA product, sheesh. Give me a break. The site I linked is helpful even for amatuer game dev or level maker on basic level.

EDIT:
Leet wrote: 2 years ago I don't think you understood what I meant there, but I really don't want to argue about this. Just, this is really not as progressive as you think it is.
Like what else there is to understand? I think it is as progressive as it is still, but whatever.
Last edited by krisu 2 years ago, edited 4 times in total.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

There is a way to have all the levels unlocked right away but I don't know if I should publicly post it. If someone from the hub team gives the OK I will disclose it.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I don't think you understood what I meant there, but I really don't want to argue about this. Just, this is really not as progressive as you think it is.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I can't help but imagine there's a connection between the fish in the kitchen and the level just before that one.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

i feel like bowsette would play more like wario
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Oh man, today was the perfect video after the last few days. All three levels were adorable.
RudeGuy

Post by RudeGuy »

about yesterday's level (which I've watched only now): I think this level's fun to watch, at least to me. It gave me a few chuckles, especially the last room with the super complex question. but it sure doesn't look fun to play... I couldn't get most of the clues, for example.

as for today's levels:
The Post Game: the bowsette sprite reminds me of just how long this contest has been going for... bowsette was like two years ago, i think? that said, i liked seeing a ride on a real world foot.
Warm Level: not sure why, but the cheep cheep resprite, combined with the sign, the piles of fish and the mario characters just having a bath made me laugh out loud. I know I shouldn't, considering the morbidity of this level... but still. i wish the level could be longer or tried doing more things, there's not much worth in the level in terms of design.
Frozen Sushi Scavenge: ah, this was a shame. the level looks real neat and seemed to have a cool gimmick too! but such is the reality of deadlines, i guess.
Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: Waterlogged flavor (MaGLX3)

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

This episode was really good, and really fun. There's still things I'm going to say on it, but I'll save it for the levels themselves.

???? The Post Game: The pun on this level is incredible, well done to the fine fellow that came up with that. This journey through Susie's whole routine (completely true made up story here) is pretty cute, and delightfully inoffensive. I think I know who to blame for the final section, but it's a good sort of blame.

Honestly, the sprites not loading upon entry to this particular level might have slightly improved the overall experience. It's kind of neat how that happened. I could easily have mistaken it for a feature via Lua shenanigans.

108th - The Warm Level: Oddly... morbid. This was pretty neat in terms of atmosphere of what's there, though. It would have been nice for one more section with some plot, but that sprite replacement is A+. Good little section here.

107th - Frozen Sushi Scavenge: Man, the beginning on this is so well done... I definitely want to see this expanded upon later, but I completely understand losing your drive for creation upon hitting a wall. What's here is still highly appreciated here, and I'm rooting for you to nail it next time. It's tragic, but that's all the more reason to have hope...
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Nesera

Post by Nesera »

I like how the first Cafe level rao played was a pretty normal level, and then the next three are all really weird/joke levels.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

So the MAGLX3 cast list states that the 107th place was co-made with JuicyPineapple

Who is JuicyPineapple
PapyrusSemi
I am the smartest moron you've ever met.
First name: Nicholas
Pronouns: any pronouns

Post by PapyrusSemi »

Several thoughts.

The Post Game
Yep. Also, bonus points for the use of the flying airship piece, and the "on foot" pun. Also, shoutouts to :rao: for translating the French for us. (Pretty sure the missing accented e is because it's not in the SMBX font)

raocow discovers the secrets of the universe
I want to imagine that the Mr. Saturn outside the airlock is actually Ponty Mython, hitchhiking out of spite for coming in 140th.

Warm Level
i am disturbed.

Frozen Sushi Scavenge
I can't blame the author for not being able to come up with anything, but I can only imagine what a fully-fleshed out stage would entail.
"i have a unicycle for a frontal lobe and the devil rides its pedals"
-Twitter user @bonvibaee

:ace_pride: :trans_pride: :nb_pride: :gq_pride:
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

I find that I tend to prefer short levels to long ones, and so I appreciate having these short levels here after the start of tier 4 had four long levels all in a row.

- Level Comments -

The Post Game: I found this to be a fun little level with some entertaining jokes. I don't have much to say here, except that I appreciate that the shooting section wasn't a huge difficulty spike in an otherwise easy level.

108th Warm Level: This was another fun little level, although with the amount of fish in the fish piles the game's frame rate struggled a bit when I tried to go fast like the level seemed to want me to, which resulted in me dying. Although Windows seems to like running CPU intensive processes in the background often when I play this game, so it's possible that it's not entirely the level's fault. In any case, I personally enjoyed the fish's spin jump animation a lot.

107th Frozen Sushi Scavenge: I was really enjoying the ideas presented in this level, but then it just abruptly ended. I definitely would have liked to see more, but what is here is still pretty great.

- End of Level Comments -

TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

I am dead certain it's been like seven real life days AT MOST since I suggested this level idea to Susie in a car ride with her... wasn't expecting it to suddenly pop up, that was hilarious.
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Fifteen. Susie first mentioned the idea on the 24th of April; by the first of May, it was complete.
Zygl

Post by Zygl »

Shoutouts to the elusive "Star Fox 1 song other than Corneria", also. Corneria's a great song and all but the whole soundtrack is great and that's the only one we hear 'cause it's the only one in basegame, it's nice to see something else get airtime for once <.<
🦆 RedMageSusie
Dancing with the moonlit knight

Post by RedMageSusie »

Late but I figured I could say a bit about The Post Game

Rameau and I originally signed up as a team for MaGL X3. Due to circumstances, we couldn't finish a level, but Sturg messaged me asking if we still wanted to submit a post game/coffee break level. I said we'd give it some thought, but ultimately nothing much came from it. And then Rameau became a judge so I guess it all worked out in the end(?)

Nearly two years go by and I'm chatting with Tavi about it a couple weeks ago and she was like "You should've done an Advent Christmas level". I'm all "goddammit I should've done that" and sent a message to Rameau about it. Turns out, there was still a cafe spot that wasn't filled up and said I should check with Sturg about it. I did and he was cool with slotting it in if I got it done in time. So I roughly spent a week on it after work. Deadline was essentially "before raocow gets 75 stars", so all those one level videos were pretty helpful for me >_>;; (although Maks made it real close).

Since I was pressed for time, I decided to make it short and funny. Rameau definitely helped a lot since a lot of things just randomly didn't work, and also having him help out kept me from bailing again. He found the Bowsette sprite for me and also cleaned it up since the hitbox was wonky and it had some pretty awkward/terrible jiggle physics. I was gonna add a few edits of my own but that would've taken more time than I could afford. He also put in a code to keep her big since the person never made a small sprite for her.

I was a bit worried about how it'd be received because the gameplay barely exists and relied entirely on humour. If the jokes didn't land, then welp. I'm glad it went over well though.
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

RedMageSusie wrote: 2 years ago I was a bit worried about how it'd be received because the gameplay barely exists and relied entirely on humour. If the jokes didn't land, then welp. I'm glad it went over well though.
Still has more gameplay than my sonic level, heyooo!
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Enjl wrote: 2 years ago Still has more gameplay than my sonic level, heyooo!
half the gameplay of evil zone is reacting to the powerpoint slideshows so does it really have that little gameplay
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

Chirei wrote: 2 years ago
Enjl wrote: 2 years ago Still has more gameplay than my sonic level, heyooo!
half the gameplay of evil zone is reacting to the powerpoint slideshows so does it really have that little gameplay
Does the classification of laughter as gameplay mean the larynx qualifies as a wireless gaming controller?
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Enjl wrote: 2 years ago Does the classification of laughter as gameplay mean the larynx qualifies as a wireless gaming controller?
given that VR is a thing now and it explicitly uses a person's movement to function, man has become the controller
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

It was intriguing to see castlepokemetroid embed two levels together like that, even though the design could have been better.

You can get down to the bottom floor to talk to the four NPCs if you hit the second P-switch and pass through the block barrier:
This is what the NPCs at the end of the level say:
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

- Level Comments -

106th Abandoned Fortress: I've started playing levels as Luigi whenever I have the option, and so I never experienced the jumps in the second section barely being possible as Mario, but from watching raocow it does look rather awkward to deal with. I had a pretty alright time here, although I spent a considerable amount of time fruitlessly looking for the second star. Once I read that it was a speedrun challenge I had fun getting through the level quickly, but I wish it was indicated within the level somewhere.

105th Boney Bettle and Fighterfly's Deviant Underground: I like the idea of having a level that takes place around an automatic level, but I found it really awkward to deal with the Fighter Flies in such tight spaces. Also, that one invisible block with a fire flower seems like a questionable choice to me. You don't even hit it on the automatic path or anything, so it seems like it's just there to make you fall in the lava when you don't know it's there.

- End of Level Comments -

Zephyr_DragonLord
The dragon awakens...!
First name: Zach

Re: time and tribulations (MaGLX3)

Post by Zephyr_DragonLord »

No, that isn't a Tales of Berseria reference, me...

106th - Abandoned Fortress: This level's mostly fine, though this is a bit rough to actually speedrun for the average person. It's also clearly a Luigi level, which the vertical climb makes clear. It also doesn't quite get that magic sweet spot for me, going through it fast. I have to question why the fire is here, too. It's not super egregious, but I'm not sure it adds too much flavor to the tank section. This is pretty enjoyable overall as a level, though. Fine work here.

105th - Boney Bettle and Fighterfly's Deviant Underground: That's a super familiar name. While it's pretty cool that the level can be done automatically, the level itself is... pretty awkward. There's interesting decisions made here, but I think they hurt a level a fair bit, making it a little too cramped for its own good. But hey, it is pretty cool you managed to pull it off.
I am prone to almost everything... except spontaneous violence.
Any questions, concerns, or aspirations you have with me can go to the PM box... Now here's a quote:
raocow wrote:I know there is a population on Earth. They like to populate. I like to gesticulate. We're friends!
(It was about time)
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

at some point in X2 development, the way the speed of the baseballs was calculated when you assigned a custom speed value was changed, i believe that at least one of the judges played a version where the baseballers were unmanageable and ridiculous.

therefore i should be moved up 101 places and replace the 2nd place level
:trans_pride: