(shouting)

Make a Good Mega Man Level - Wily Is Not A 1-oFf f0e

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Make a Good Mega Man Level - Wily Is Not A 1-oFf f0e

Post by Kilgamayan »

I wish snoruntPyro judged every contest ever.

1 - junk golem

Level info:

20 - No Lynch | Objective: Vain Space | Score: 9
19 - qazcakee | City War | Score: 14.40
18 - kanna | Level | Score: 18.40

2 - force beam

Level info:

17 - Zyglrox Odyssey | The Quickening | Score: 35.20

3 - snow robbit

Level info:

16 - Gyra Soluna | Chroma Key | Score: 38.50
15 - Scorpio | Sunset Siege | Score: 37.80
14 - blue_kirby | Midnight Snow | Score: 43

4 - foot holder

Level info:

13 - MonkeyShrapnel | Sky Ziggurat | Score: 46.80
12 - Mitcheddar93 | Wily Combo | Score: 48.40

5 - twin roader

Level info:

11 - Thoron | Napalm Forest and Caves | Score: 52.20
10 - ParmaJon | Hard to See Land | Score: 52.40

6 - brain break

Level info:

Level info:

9 - Flashman85 | Maze of Death | Score: 63.80

7 - walking bomb

Level info:

8 - 128-Up | Under Construction | Score: 67.20
7 - The Stove Guy | Spiky Meltdown | Score: 69.20

8 - mechazaurus (Sprite: Roll Light)

Level info:

6 - Lamda | Thunderclyffe Plant | Score: 70.40
5 - WreckingPrograms | Research Facility | Score: 74.20

9 - graviton (Sprite: Demo With a Gun)

Level info:

4 - ThatEntityPerson | Citadel Basement | Score: 75
3 - Friendly Dictator | NEON GRAVITY | Score: 75.60

10 - potton (Sprite: Reimu Hakurei)

Level info:

2 - kumuhmuh | Mega Man World | Score: 80.80
1 - RedBlupi | Glass Man | Score: 84.20

11 - jump roller (Sprite: Darkwing Duck)

Level info:

Wily 1 - snoruntPyro | Cannon Deck

12 - changkey (Sprite: Darkwing Duck)

Level info:

Wily 2 - Cheez8 | Incinerator Chute
Wily 3 - ACESpark | Be The Bigger Person

13 - fan fiend (Sprite: Darkwing Duck)

Level info:

Wily 4 - Spin Attaxx | Hall of Fame
Wily 5 - MrKyurem | Everything's Blowing Up

14 - dread spark (Sprite: Darkwing Duck)

Level info:

Wily 6 - snoruntPyro | Flashback Database

15 - gilliam knight (Sprite: Luigi)
16 - bright man (Sprite: Demo With a Gun)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Re: Make a Good Mega Man Level - Wily Is Not A 1-oFf f0e

Post by Grounder »

From what I remember, the levels only really go from "okay" to "good" towards the very end.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

with 20 submissions in total though we'll be there pretty quick.
I didn't realise the first contest was fairly small, the later contests really blew up in numbers
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Grounder wrote: 3 years ago From what I remember, the levels only really go from "okay" to "good" towards the very end.
Clearly the true purpose of this contest was to make people appreciate Capcom slightly more.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

oh HELL yeah i love magmml! maybe if i knew this was the next lp i wouldn't be doing my analysis of asmt stuff but also House of Turner lowkey stopped my writers block so maybe that's for the best. anyhow i have 100%'d both magmml1 remastered AND magmml2. i am yet to play episode zero bc i am lazy tho :aliceko:

anyhow! i've said a few times that magmml is kind of a successor to some of the stuff that happens in talkhaus collab projects, and while most of what i meant by that is in magmml2, there's still TOTALLY some stuff like that in magmml1, and some of it was added back to it in remastered. raocow mentions it has some "talkhaus dna" but like, there's even some explicit overlap in the people involved being known fans of talkhausian projects or talkhaus-adjacent people, most notably roahmmythril. also thank you for choosing remastered because not only does remastered have new goodies, a more refined engine, and is just better, the original version had. just the WORST rush jet i think i've ever seen in my life, you could get an ulcer using it, and for that alone remastered is a better pick.

also i recognize one of those judges from WELL before magmml1. duvi0 was a friend of leathericecream, who is one of the big names in the binding of isaac community, even being an ascended fan-turned-dev by proxy of antibirth being integrated into repentence, and he did work on the room design? it is very strange to see him in a talkhaus-adjacent project (not that i'm one to speak as someone who has been Everywhere on the internet too ghjkdshsgfdkjlsdfghdfgjk) but i'm not complaining as long as it gives me a chance to off-handedly mention VinceWorld and terrify everyone ever

the one caveat is that the attic is factually worse in remaster because at first only gutsman is in it and "gutsman is the ONLY cool robot master" is a phrase that makes me laugh so so so so SO much and you just can't say that here!!!

so right off the heels of me covering asmt... i am going to cover magmml. a game that is literally all about judgement of peoples' levels. for the record i am not going to judge these levels using the other judge's comments, i will be basically using my own thoughts.

Objective: Vain Space is pretty much magmml1's obligatory joke level. it's proud sky but mega man. it was hilarious then and it is hilarious now.

City War is the most infamous level in magmml1 besides... a different level also in tier 1. if memory serves me right the main reason it has 4 least favorites was due to an offer by duvi0 where he said he'd make his least favorite NOT City War on the condition everyone else made their least favorites City War, and since like, they had NO IDEA if this contest would be too popular, so they figured the least favorite rankings would not be scrutinized too highly, everyone took him up on that offer, and duvi0 did in fact move his least favorite to another level.

anyhow as for why this level Sucks. the original devkit worked off Game Maker Classic 8.1. it's a very robust engine, i love it a lot, but ALSO it has. a VERY STUPID SETTING enabled by default. in this game, tilesets and the collision are two separate entities, since that's how they are in the engine by default and you need to program the tilset having collision items placed by default in game maker classic 8.1. no big deal, right? just place the collision tiles down after placing down the tileset proper! and it normally IS that simple... unless you're using default settings. for SOME godforsaken reason, game maker classic 8.1 has a setting that is "overwrite overlapping objects", which is enabled by default. with the hitboxes in this game set up the way they are where there's a very small overlap so things, y'know, stand on the PLATFORMS of the PLATFORM GAME, anytime an enemy is placed there's a chance they will have a very small margin of "overlap" and because the dev never unchecked the "overwrite overlapping objects" box that is on by default, it will Completely Wipe the platforms, with the only reason the enemies themselves don't fall through the floor being that they are standing on the very brink of another block that wasn't overlapped. add to that the fact the dev never tested the level and you get this.

as a result? City War just has fake floors everywhere, fake walls, invisible ladders, and was the ONLY skippable level in the non-remastered version of magmml1. i'd wager if you "fixed" it and gave it proper collision it wouldn't be too bad (if a bit mediocre) but WITH the collision errors wrought by Mark Overmars' Trick, yeah you have the worst "actual" level. there's a domino effect of the dude making the og version of game maker classic and adding that setting, and then decades later City War is still considered one of the worst mega man fangame levels ever

speaking of level, Level. for some reason there are no scrolls other than 1x1 screen scrolls. i've seen some call this an error, but No. in the devkit, the scroll option is its own unique entity you plop into the level, so this was deliberate and meticulous. it's just kind of... room of 1-3 enemies and then it ends? also, inexplicable cameo from W. Waltz, a character from the Dreamwave mega man comics that only appears in the last issue, is NOT A BOSS FIGHT IN THIS LEVEL and is in fact just a background tile that, iirc, is possible to just paste wherever like a cardboard cutout, and doesn't even have their own article on the Mega Man Knowledge Base, and the first google result for her is a wiki article on her for someone's crossover project????? honestly W. Waltz showing up brings in more questions than answers, as if W. Waltz doesn't bring more questions than answers as it does as-is after i googled her to verify her name and got THAT
Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago Clearly the true purpose of this contest was to make people appreciate Capcom slightly more.
you kid but early tiers of magmml2 in particular kinda feel exactly like this ngl
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

In my imo these contests are a bit overproduced, like do we really need to read a bunch of text for a plot that's very nothing just to play 20 mega man levels. Do we need to go back and continually update and 'remaster' the surrounding game. Are the 20 levels and the environment they were made and released in not simply enough
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 3 years ago also, inexplicable cameo from W. Waltz, a character from the Dreamwave mega man comics that only appears in the last issue, is NOT A BOSS FIGHT IN THIS LEVEL and is in fact just a background tile that, iirc, is possible to just paste wherever like a cardboard cutout, and doesn't even have their own article on the Mega Man Knowledge Base, and the first google result for her is a wiki article on her for someone's crossover project?????
i thought it was princess from that one brazilian comic
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Leet wrote: 3 years ago In my imo these contests are a bit overproduced, like do we really need to read a bunch of text for a plot that's very nothing just to play 20 mega man levels. Do we need to go back and continually update and 'remaster' the surrounding game. Are the 20 levels and the environment they were made and released in not simply enough
i feel like with magmml1 it definitely needed it because. if you go back and play the og version you can and Will find out the hard way that the engine absolutely NEEDED a remaster. rush jet alone warranted it but there's like dozens upon dozens of tweaks and improvements to not-rush-jet that makes it ALL more cohesive to play. in a way magmml is as much of a contest series as it is ALSO a sort of tech demo for the engine it runs off of, as with every magmml game so far the Mega Man Megamix Engine it runs off of has gotten a major update, and in that sense it makes Total Sense Actually, what better way to demonstrate the power of the engine by handing it off to random devs, letting them tinker with it, and showcasing their results in a contest format?

i wouldn't really say "overproduced" because that'd imply that there's Zero Reason At All for any of this but, magmml2 in particular (currently the largest mega man fangame... period) was explicitly made for mega man's anniversary, of COURSE it's gonna be extra. i might just be biased though because i really like the extra content and feel like it's really really fun, and i am not about to complain abt there being more to the contest games than JUST the contest if said content is going to be really cool like it is in magmml
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago
camwoodstock wrote: 3 years ago also, inexplicable cameo from W. Waltz, a character from the Dreamwave mega man comics that only appears in the last issue, is NOT A BOSS FIGHT IN THIS LEVEL and is in fact just a background tile that, iirc, is possible to just paste wherever like a cardboard cutout, and doesn't even have their own article on the Mega Man Knowledge Base, and the first google result for her is a wiki article on her for someone's crossover project?????
we do not speak of the one brazilian comic. :serac:
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 3 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago
we do not speak of the one brazilian comic. :serac:
i see you dont want to think of roll's choice ass. truly this is misandry /hardsarcasm
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Wow there sure are robopanties on full display for no reason in the image used on that Wiki page

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

brazilian mega man comic
What on God's green earth is up with Roll's mouth on the cover of Issue 1

Like yes sure *gestures furiously in the direction of the entire rest of Roll's design* but my attention was immediately drawn to that mouth

(warning to good boys and girls and enbies and etc. do not look for this if you have not already seen it)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago (warning to good boys and girls and enbies and etc. do not look for this if you have not already seen it)
honestly looking at the brazilian mega man comic is its own punishment
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

im so glad i managed to ruin the magmml thread right out of the gate with disgusting fan fiction
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago im so glad i managed to ruin the magmml thread right out of the gate with disgusting fan fiction
this is what snoruntpyro would've wanted if they were in this thread, i think.
edit: does make me a bit sad it wasn't due to me mentioning VinceWorld tho
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

xflex.png
xflex.png (484.52 KiB) Viewed 4512 times
Brazilian Mega Man, you say?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Peptobislawl
Is here for some reason

Post by Peptobislawl »

Playing on the remastered version is much more enjoyable since the original engine's Rush Jet was a glitchy pile of pain that would warp out from under you from the slightest contact with anything, making city wars almost unclearable unless you're mad enough to memorize the invisible holes. It also didn't have an infinite lives function which you'll see the problem with that in a bit, in a level that was unskippable originally since there was no formalized skip function and instead just an extra + thing at the start of city wars.
I got an avatar.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I feel this this thread is thematically in sync with the quality of these first three levels; clearly next episode we should start discussing Ruby-Spears Mega Man and continue upwards from there.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

at first place we'll be discussing rockman strategy, the best mega man game

Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago I feel this this thread is thematically in sync with the quality of these first three levels; clearly next episode we should start discussing Ruby-Spears Mega Man and continue upwards from there.
Too late, this thread has already been hit with the curse of a lion man

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

ngl i would be down for just offhandedly discussing increasingly good mega mans stuff besides the games, but tbh i'd probably say we'd discuss ruby spears towards the end of the thread and not the start, bc idk if it's because it's just a guilty pleasure for me or what but genuinely i'd take the ruby spears cartoon over just about every other not-video game thing that is mega mans related
Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago
BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago I feel this this thread is thematically in sync with the quality of these first three levels; clearly next episode we should start discussing Ruby-Spears Mega Man and continue upwards from there.
Too late, this thread has already been hit with the curse of a lion man
oh no... we've been struck by LION'S TRICK...
snoruntpyro
cutest girl 2023

Post by snoruntpyro »

A bit late to this but I do wanna make a disclaimer to please not get remotely heated about the results (both for this and whatever future contests) since these reviews are ancient and occasionally by less than savory people so it's really not worth the effort discussing them period.
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

snoruntpyro wrote: 3 years ago A bit late to this but I do wanna make a disclaimer to please not get remotely heated about the results (both for this and whatever future contests) since these reviews are ancient and occasionally by less than savory people so it's really not worth the effort discussing them period.
totally get that bc like. the part u mentioned abt how some reviews have content that has Not Aged Too Hot--people are definitely WAY more unfiltered in their language and generally not trying to be as accurate with their scoring in this contest compared to magmml2 (see how duvi0 made a deal to get everyone else to swarm least favorite onto city war and nobody really argued against it) bc like, again, this was pretty much just a for-fun project as Nobody Had A Clue this'd go big, so like, if the judges didn't take it too seriously and were moreso treating the scoring as a suggestion and were even open abt how the scoring wasn't as important as they'd freely let more minute details like favorites/least favorites be changed at the whims of literal bets, why the heck should the players take it as anything more than that imo?

but also the real main thing as to why i'm like "do not take these reviews seriously At All" is like. not only is this contest more jovial than any of the future magmmls... this contest is nearly half a decade old??? come may this thing will literally be 5 years old technically so like gfdkjhgdkjsg why anyone would get mad at the results nowadays is beyond me anyhow??? heck there's a pretty good reason magmml1 remastered more or less sets the reviews to the side by default and you need to re-enable them. so like ultimately i feel like if you were gonna get mad at the reviews you'd probably like. wanna do so over something OTHER than the reviews.

(edited this post as i did cursory searches and can't verify much so far but i would like to note i think i get what pyro meant by unsavory people, even still tho like i do mention that there's a time and a place and the comments of an lp of a 5 year old contest is not it anyhow so fghjkhfgdkjdfg)
CapedLuigisYoshi
some sort of fangirl

Post by CapedLuigisYoshi »

See, I feel like the problem with dismissing the judge comments as just old and less serious just-for-fun things is... there's not really a lot of that context given to the viewer / player? Just because the intro signpost calls them out as generally outdated doesn't mean people are necessarily going to keep that disclaimer in mind as future episodes come out, and there's certainly nothing to hint at, for example, the circumstances surrounding that incident with Least Favorites dogpiling on City War unless you search out that info or happen to see a post/comment about it.

...I feel like I sorta rambled aimlessly up there but I guess my point is that some people are probably going to miss the context of Don't Treat These Reviews or Scores Seriously and will just see those aspects as presented matter-of-factly.

Also hi I haven't posted here in forever WHOOPS
*shrug*

will fix/replace the image down here eventually
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Well I mean I'm not sure if anyone should take the results of any contest that seriously. Even in a best case scenario I think it's secondary to the levels themselves, otherwise we wouldn't be playing them
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

All the MAGMMLs/Megamix Enginr games work under WINE, right?