(shouting)

Make a Good Mega Man Level - Wily Is Not A 1-oFf f0e

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Make a Good Mega Man Level - Wily Is Not A 1-oFf f0e

Post by KobaBeach »

Rixithechao wrote: 3 years ago Demo:
https://i.imgur.com/cECRsUK.png

Demo With a Gun:
https://i.imgur.com/XjW43RL.png

I didn't actually make a variant without the gun, they're the exact same spritesheet. Don't tell raocow

man wild arms 6 is looking great
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Rixithechao wrote: 3 years ago Demo:
https://i.imgur.com/cECRsUK.png

Demo With a Gun:
https://i.imgur.com/XjW43RL.png

I didn't actually make a variant without the gun, they're the exact same spritesheet. Don't tell raocow

Now where's Iris and the other sisters Image

(though really i could totally see a megaman pily)
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Here's where the NEON GRAVITY boss theme is from.

Veruchai
Theoretically invisible

Post by Veruchai »

IWBTD
MaGDWaGL
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

:mgmn: :demo:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

one of the best levels i've seen in a long time
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

camwoodstock wrote: 3 years ago also i give the community like 2 Days to make a demo one
CALLED IT
this is actually a REALLY CUTE SPRITE though and i am SO GLAD that this is officially available, to say nothing of how rush looks!!! :pal:

welcome to tier 5. the best of the best, and its super neato as a result! and yes, these really DO get better and better if you ask me

Citadel Basement does something i don't think anyone else has ever done and succeeded, and then succeeds at it. it makes the guts lifts fun. it is kinda strange how the guts lifts themselves don't respawn should you Miss The Boat so to speak, but yeah like raocow says, probably treat it more like a skull raft level, and especially since remastered has infinite lives, you're free to abuse death. still, kinda wish the dev had the foresight to include a "summon forth guts lift" box you could shoot on a cooldown, or even just automated it. it's realistically not a big deal but it IS a pretty blatant blindspot in the design

however. beyond that. this level. is STELLAR. it uses guts lifts in all sorts of new ways and, get this, makes them FUN! the primary idea is you use them, well, like the skull rafts from the smw games. but there's also vertical sections where they can either help you and hinder you! the flippity-tricks are not just used alone like they usually are in mega man 1; they're used in tandem with other level terrain to create brief breaks or new tricks! that mini-spike shaft that you go down and climb out of because the plaform re-enables itself is SUPER AWESOME AND CLEVER. and even if you fall behind it's pretty easy to catch up! you get ample chances to move along! this is what the guts lift SHOULD'VE been!

historically, this level and its lack of boss has been a bit silly. in this original contest it was going to culminate in a boss fight atop several guts lifts next to one another called the Rail Hunter, and he'd not only use some cannons and try to get trick shots in on you, but he'd divert the guts lifts to alter the arena. sadly, the dev lost the time to add it, but to date, making Rail Hunter actually appear has been tossed around for many things in magmml2--it was considered for the designer's entry in that contest, it was gonna be and it was gonna be a postgame bonus for not one but TWO areas, but in each situation history repeated and other stuff took priority and everyone involved ran out of time. even still, as you can see, though, this level still ROCKS without it, it would've just been the cherry step atop the already cherry'd sundae!

i'm gonna level with y'all. NEON GRAVITY is my favorite level in the contest. it definitely isn't the "best", there's other levels that are definitely more deserving of a top spot--i mean, this is only 3rd--but for me? this is my top spot. it is SUCH A SIMPLE PREMISE, vortexes alter the terrain of projectiles in various means. but this level takes its gimmick and RUNS WITH IT IN SUCH INCREDIBLE FASHION. you're introduced to these vortexes in a way that shows you, yes, they're safe to jump in front of. starts with puzzle rooms where you have to hit switches using the vortexes. then there's none... but as you fight the spawning in saturn seekers, you learn THEY affect gravity, too! then after that you got some sniper joes... with the reveal that, yep, enemy terrain is ALSO affected, and what is usually a simple dodge becomes a convoluted game of doing a ton of trickety-tricks, but it IS CONSISTENT and you can TOTALLY avoid it all! then you get a miniboss against THE MOON??? apparently this moon graphic is from a different game and he actually serves as a warm-up for something later on. after that you get more sorts of tricks as the enemies fire their bullets in ways that work with the vortexes. mets start to sort of "lob" their shots or fire behind them! sniper jokes start creating makeshift rotodisks! and then at the end is NEON Gravity Man, and he is INCREDIBLE! he's definitely a goofy design but that sort of silliness is what i love abt magmml! and his entire ordeal is he summons gravity saturn seekers and fires projectiles that are altered by it! and the trick? you use that same gravity to hit NEON Gravity Man! it probably could've used a second phase but it's SO GOOD as it is!!!

and this level is TOTAL EYE CANDY!!! it's got a kirby's adventure tileset that's SUPER PRETTY, love it a lot, and the MUSIC does NOT DESERVE TO BE THIS GOOD!!! it's a cover of take on me in the Mr. Gimmick soundfont and it is a TOTAL BOP. i feel like everything gets its proper due dilligence, nothing really goes on for too long in the confines of a level, and when i say i want more, i mean you could probably make an entire GAME worth of levels based around the gravity gimmicks imposed here, all with their own distinct feel??? this level is just INCREDIBLE and i love it so so so so SO much man <3
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Judgement day!

Citadel Basement:
SnoruntPyro (86/100):
Amazing! The stage keeps its focus with just using the Guts lifts and a few types of enemies. But wow does the stage make amazing use of the Guts lifts! I really liked the race towards the end of the level, and the vertical sections were really cool too! Great job on this one!
Cheez8 (75/100):
A little punishing, but you judged the length and midpoint placements well! The Guts Man platforms let you ask some things of the player that I personally haven't seen before, too. A very straightforward challenge, but a well-crafted one that really got me feeling pumped up when I pulled it off.
Duvi0 (91/100):
Is it just me or does the gutsman platform ridiculously phallic?
Mick Galbani / Blackmore Darkwing (66/100):
Huh, this was actually a pretty fun level overall. I ended up needing to use Rush Jet in my successful run, but I'm honestly okay with that. You put the Guts Man lift things to rather good use here, and just overall I quite like this. I have two major complaints here. One is that this level basically comes from a more MMU-train of thought where you basically can't make any mistakes in order to make it through, which is...disappointing, to say the least, never been a fan of that school of thought. The other complaint is that the final third of the stage is far easier than anything before it, which gives this place some mild issues with its difficulty curve.
MrKyurem (57/100):
Slightly too brutal for my liking - although, the design behind said torturous difficulty was actually fairly well done. I think some of the challenges could definitely have been done without so many spikes, and that first section where you have to walk off the Guts Man platform didn’t need to saturn-thingies-that-i-don’t-know-the-name-of, as this is where you’re introducing them to this concept. I will also give you that this is the first time I have been scared by an E tank since Minus Infinity.
NEON GRAVITY:
SnoruntPyro (90/100):
WOW. What an absolutely fantastic level! The black hole gimmick was REALLY creative, and definitely something I've never seen before in a Mega Man game. You also utilized it really creatively, especially the parts with the spinning bullet trios. And the level looked gorgeous, and the music was awesome, and the boss fight was really fun! I think the only complaint I have is that some rooms I wasn't sure how to get through without getting hit, like the room with the Sniper Joe just before the boss.
Cheez8 (62/100):
Well, that was certainly a marvel of engineering. I'm afraid it was a little too unnatural for me though- it took a game over or two to really get used to how the wells worked, and until then the stage was just aggravating.
Duvi0 (66/100):
Not really a huge fan of the level. Enemy placement's kinda irritating, but I liked the attempt at making a puzzle level over a Jump & Shoot level. Also: kind of ridiculously beautiful.
Mick Galbani / Blackmore Darkwing (73/100):
The start of this level is surprisingly brutal, its rather difficult to make it through the first portal section without of damage unless you throw caution to the winds. That...is a frequent occurence here, the level design is the type where you have to speed through it to avoid damage, and yet the black holes are so funky that I, at least, tended to wait and see what I was dealing with first, leading to damage. Not exactly fond of that. That being said, the gimmick itself is brilliant, and used in very interesting ways. I did enjoy how you couldn't cheat your way out of spots with Metal Blade, and the boss was a rather interesting fight... if an easy one.
MrKyurem (87/100):
I haven't seen this gimmick before - and it was very cleverly executed! Both the boss and the miniboss took full usage of the gimmicks presented to you, and the boss was a good test to ensure you had a hang of the gimmick. Quite challenging to get used to the gimmick, and I don't think the difficulty curve reflected that as well as it could've, but that's not to say the difficulty curve didn't escalated semi-fairly.
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

Man, both the stages today are so good. Neon Gravity blew my socks off when I first saw it. And Citadel Basement is just a really well-executed and iterated idea.

And I love that Demo costume!
TaviTurnip
Reach for the top
Abministrator
First name: Rena

Post by TaviTurnip »

Part of me barely recognized the latest episode as part of MaGMML, like at some point it took a conscious effort to be like "oh right" about it...

So this is the standard of the higher placements, huh. Makes me really want to participate next time tbh. EDIT: that was a compliment!!! Just reread it and the tone of voice sounded the opposite lol
I regularly stream on Twitch! with other members of the talkhaus. Come watch Monday, Tuesday and Friday at 2PM for blind playthroughs and Pokémon and Touhou and stuff. Come hang out with us!
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Nimono wrote: 3 years ago i love the song for NEON GRAVITY. strange memories of death is a great song

or I suppose that's "strange memories of a-ha" ;P

In case you wanted to listen to it outside of a Mag Mammal setting
Grounder wrote: 3 years ago

:mgmn: :demo:
Haven't seen this in ages! "Show this guy then cut back to these two" will never not send me.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago In case you wanted to listen to it outside of a Mag Mammal setting
this is wonderful, thank you so much <3
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

After watching both NEON GRAVITY in today's video and USE YOUR ILLUSION in ASMT, I think I'm convinced that Demo unironically loves 80s music.
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years ago After watching both NEON GRAVITY in today's video and USE YOUR ILLUSION in ASMT, I think I'm convinced that Demo unironically loves 80s music.
it's now canon Demo unabashedly likes 80s music, it's tied for classical music in her list of favorite genres
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

neon gravity is my personal winner of the contest
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

ten thousand public videos!

edit: you know, i was pretty sure raocow hadn't gained many subs in the meantime (of course, he's doing pretty good on patreon considering the small youtube sub number) but wow. ten years. 8000 more videos. only like 10k more subs lmao
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

look man, for my viewership I invested in quality over quantity
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I hope you buy the special upgrade next time.

Also, the costumes count towards completion percentage and they're cheap, so you might as well get them.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

oh man 10k videos??? that's sure a lot of them!

today we finish the contest levels! oh but we ain't over yet thanks to the postgame, FAR FROM IT. also remember a few pages ago when i made my bet of "the finale episode of the lp will be at least double the episode numbers from the top spot"? let's see how right i am and if magmml1 is over by episode 20 or not

SURPRISE raocow this has been an A-side for the forever and all time. Mega Man World is really cool! i'm gonna admit that it definitely feels a bit odd tho, it does go on a bit long too. but what it lacks in that sorta gameplay, it absolutely EXCELS with its aesthetics and unique designs. the enemies are all little robot versions of standard smw enemies!!! and they all more-or-less have their own unique AIs?! it's SO MUCH it's really cool! i do get why the level drags a bit as a result, the designer wanted to make sure that each enemy had its proper time in the sun. the miniboss of reznor is good but he kinda. lacks in the offense and quite infamously in magmml1 original, there was a bug where if you paused during the fight, reznor wouold just go flying to the right and automatically Perish himself... even if the game stayed paused. and the tileset and music are Really Good Ports of SMW stuff that fit aesthetically with the mega mans??? like Holy Cow!!! also the fact 2nd place has an I Hope I Win is ridiculously funny to me

congrats to our winning entry, Glass Man! this. THIS is just a straight up mega man level. this literally feels like a mega mans, and that's generally why it's regarded so highly. the music and general tileset are REALLY pretty, with the blue ground contrasting with the light green "glass" really nicely but still conveying that it is also terrain! i love the unique falling platforms! they don't have a name to my knowledge but they're explicitly designed to fall slower compared to the Bubble Man ones and even have a tell. and this level even has its own custom enemy??? Vitreous is a little hard to fight but he's a fun dude. and the cherry on the top. after many many levels without a robot master at all... Glass Man is here to put an end to that at the top spot. and he's an INCREDIBLE fight! it's SUPER engaging, he uses a refined version of the tricks that the enemy did, and that Glass Orb bouncy ball attack is hectic as heck but it is DEFINITELY a fun time. and like bear in mind. this was made with the Jank Engine of magmml1. that just makes this stuff even MORE impressive to me tbh. and we still feel the legacy of Glass Man in modern day magmmls thanks to him getting cameos and the general level design philosophy of the stage being adapted and refined further by future prospecting designers! congrats to Glass Man, congrats to RedBlupi, congrats in general because we're still feeling the impact this level has had!

also fyi raocow you may wanna pick a costume you enjoy for the Wilys, bc you're gonna be stuck with it until you beat them all
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

blupi blupi blupi blupi

Image Image
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

The last of the commentary!

Mega Man World:
SnoruntPyro (96/100):
Oh man this was super adorable ! I loooove your reimagining of the Mario enemies, the gimmicks were super neat, the design was great this was so gooood!!!!! I don't really have much to say about it other than fantastic job!! Like seriously I was smiling the whole time I played this Also I HOPE I WIN
Cheez8 (58/100):
Certainly felt like it dragged on. I don't know if it really was just the length, or if it was more because the majority of enemies were durable, shielded, and/or completely in the way... Actually, yeah, that was it. Too many of the enemies just take up your time, all the time. It outlived its charm.
Duvi0 (96/100):
You probably did!!
Mick Galbani / Blackmore Darkwing (86/100):
It's a Super Mario World-themed level, and its actually really quite fun. I greatly enjoyed all of the new enemy types, and you put the brick block gimmick to very good use with the Hammer Bros. enemy at one point. I honestly don't have much to complain about here, only that the Yoshi eggs don't really do much, Reznor glitched himself to death, and Birdo wasn't really a very impressive boss fight.
MrKyurem (68/100):
I really like what's been done here - the mix of these two games has come around quite nicely. I should point out, however, that I find a lot of the enemies a tad more durable than they deserve to be.
Glass Man:
SnoruntPyro (94/100):
Oh man this was AMAZING! The new enemy with the glass shield was really neat and used pretty well, and the spritework here was absolutely fantastic. The stage was also designed pretty well, too, with some interesting setups with the Nut-and-Bolts and neat platforming challenges. And there's so much attention to detail put into it, too, with the crystals breaking!! The boss was super fun too, though I found his glass orb attack to be a bit tough to dodge. Also I sure hope Daniel Page doesn't track me down again for this stage having MME music :V
Cheez8 (76/100):
Maybe it was just the music, but this felt like a genuine Capcom-made level! Good job. Only a few things stick out, like the room that surrounds you with bolts, and the boss fight (which, while impressive, alternated between being very dangerous and not at all dangerous.)
Duvi0 (90/100):
I can't begin to describe this level. This is what Megaman should be. I'm not the biggest Megaman fan, but this makes me want to replay the whole series all over again!
Mick Galbani / Blackmore Darkwing (82/100):
This...this felt like a Mega Man stage. There's no other way to put it. This felt like a Mega Man stage. I really enjoyed running through this level, and my only real complaint is the spamming of the bolt enemies from Top Man's stage, otherwise this is pretty great. Bonus Points for having an actual honest to goodness robot master to your stage, especially since I could see what his Master Weapon would be. You did great here.
MrKyurem (79/100):
A brilliant boss fight with a very enjoyable and well-co-ordinated level to go with it. Glass Man's pinch attack seems a bit painful to dodge, but outside of that, I would not be surprised if Glass Man were to show up in some other fangame in the future
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I am very likely biased on the matter but that Reimu sprite is cute af particularly the attention to detail to animate her hair

I hope Reimu gets to storm the fortress but I'm guessing it'll either be Demo or someone we haven't seen yet

Also there is, in fact, already a Touhou equine
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

too bad redblupi seems to have disappeared. he was making a promising-looking game
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

let's get dangerous *drake/dd starts kissing launchpad ON THE MOUTH*

i've never watched darkwing duck, i've only played the nes game once and watched reviews of the bad tg16 game
TiKi wrote: 3 years ago too bad redblupi seems to have disappeared. he was making a promising-looking game
it's always sad when someone vanishes from a community
Image Image
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

power orb is an amazing powerup! :O