(shouting)

Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove - The Ultimate Showdown of Ultimate Shovelry

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Shovel Kinght: King of Cards - The great crusade he's on*

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

freshtalk wrote: 3 years ago Cards that you lose can be brought back from Chester. Actually now that I think about it, this campaign probably has more things to eat your money than any other, between all the usual purchases, the mystery cards, and also supplying yourself with cheats... Joustous can be an expensive hobby!
I'm glad Joustous stays true to real life.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Re: Shovel Kinght: King of Cards - We'll all have to slave away

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

raocow, implying that Phantom Striker has ever done anything cool.
Grounder

Re: Shovel Kinght: King of Cards - For that good-for-nothin' John!

Post by Grounder »

vs froakie and big mouth billy bass
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

I can't wait for the troupple king to come hang out on the airship
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

so given that joustous is meant to be optional I think I'm not playing it ever again
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

uh oh
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Post by Falky »

:(
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Le Neveu de Rameau

I will confess, when raocow said "Welcome to Loserville, this is the train", I was a touch disappointed that he didn't follow this up with "Woo-WOO!"
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

...I kind of saw this coming :(

When I played this back in 2019/2020...I really disliked Joustus. Like there's something there, but it's really meant for people who play, you know, tabletop card games.

I will quote myself here from the "What games are you playing" thread:
thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Can I just say that Joustus (in King of Cards) sucks? There's just way too much information to be played in that game. And what's worse is that a huge chunk of Merit Medals are basically "Beat this guy in Joustus," which tends to get gimmicky super quickly (especially with the Knights).

Also I'm certain the last Heirloom and another reward or two are hidden behind defeating Cardia the second time (which requires clearing all four Joustus houses) as well as getting all the Merit Medals.

It's really soured me on King of Cards, which is a really good game otherwise. I worry when raocow eventually plays this ):
I was right to worry :(
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

I think at worst, you should shelve the Joustus for a while. I haven't seen you that frustrated or distraught playing a game for a long time.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Xenesis wrote: 3 years ago I think at worst, you should shelve the Joustus for a while. I haven't seen you that frustrated or distraught playing a game for a long time.
not since Tails' and Rouge's Wonderful Carventures imo!
raocow struggles when playing the parts of games that diverge from the "normal" gameplay, is my conclusion
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
WestonSmith
Bunny

Post by WestonSmith »

I've watched raocow persevere through unfair romhacks, janky 3D games, and bullet hell for 10 years.

Never thought a game about lining up arrows would be what broke him.
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Post by Falky »

Three things:
  • Chester exists for a reason. Money isn't hard to come by for King Knight. Trying to play the Pokémon card game with a deck full of Magikarp probably wouldn't go too well (disclaimer: I don't know much about the Pokémon card game).
  • If you just hover a card over where you're thinking of placing it, it'll give you a preview of what'll happen. Very useful for cards with abilities like Slam.
  • Bashing your face against a wall repeatedly might break it eventually, but you'll hurt your face long before that happens. Especially if with every bash, the wall takes some of your face and turns it into a spike on the wall. You can always come back to something that's giving you trouble later when you're better equipped.
If you invest a bit more money into cards and that and still don't like it, fair enough, it's optional and different people like different things. However, the whole "not playing this game ever again" thing reminded me of when you played Super Metroid Legacy all those years ago.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Re: Shovel Kinght: King of Cards - ...

Post by Grounder »

edit: y'know what, never mind, ... it is
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

If you have to drop Joustus or belt out the cheats for the sake of LP sanity, I have no problems with it. It sounds like basically all the content one would expect from this series isn't locked behind it anyway.
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

If you win at all the Joustus there's
an additional boss battle that is, admittedly, really awesome aesthetically

But I can't imagine anyone would hold it against raocow if he gave up on a minigame that just isn't clicking with him.

I wound up liking Joustus more than I thought I would when the trailers for the game made me think it would be the part I liked the least (I couldn't stand Triple Triad in FF8, for instance) but once it clicked with me I found myself looking forward to new Joustus games. But it really isn't for everyone and at least the game has the good sense to not make it required for progression.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

SpoonyBardOL wrote: 3 years ago If you win at all the Joustus there's

But I can't imagine anyone would hold it against raocow if he gave up on a minigame that just isn't clicking with him.
Yeah, same. Like, what you mentioned is really cool, and also really goes into the lore of

how much King Knight is just a psychotic man-child who fails to truly appreciate that if he got over himself for even 15 seconds, he would have everything he actually desires

. But it's hardly worth it.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago
SpoonyBardOL wrote: 3 years ago If you win at all the Joustus there's

Yeah, same. Like, what you mentioned is really cool, and also really goes into the lore of

how much King Knight is just a psychotic man-child who fails to truly appreciate that if he got over himself for even 15 seconds, he would have everything he actually desires

. But it's hardly worth it.
To be fair,

it also shows that if King Pridemoor could have stopped focusing on KK's mom for 15 seconds, things may have ended differently.

EDIT: sorry, i was thinking of something else
Last edited by Grounder 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
WinterSweater
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by WinterSweater »

I'm fine with not seeing more Joustus. I'm looking forward to many of the upcoming games
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Grounder wrote: 3 years ago
To be fair,

it also shows that if King Pridemoor could have stopped focusing on KK's mom for 15 seconds, things may have ended differently.

I sincerely doubt it. Plus, that line of argument kind of falls flat on its face when you consider:
A more astute and mature King Knight would've recognized that Pridemoor taking a shine to his mom plus showing respect for his abilities and intelligence meant that if he just let them be and stomach their relationship, he would've become heir to the throne in a very short time frame. Hell, he might've even gotten the throne through the King deciding to retire in the face of (pre-finale) an extremely liked and respected individual who shows great potential as king, uniting three kingdoms. But instead, King Knight is this impetuous brat who never grew up, and, lacking a father figure his entire life, turned into this mama's boy whose obsession with being officially "King" and ruling over others basically assured he would've betrayed everyone no matter what happened.

And I mean...he's already shown his childishness in the LP already with the way he acts on the Glidewing car. I think there are other points as well. Also, come on...him freaking out about his (single) mom and Pridemoor flirting is really childish, especially because there's absolutely no reason for him to be upset about it.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago
Grounder wrote: 3 years ago
To be fair,

I sincerely doubt it. Plus, that line of argument kind of falls flat on its face when you consider:
A more astute and mature King Knight would've recognized that Pridemoor taking a shine to his mom plus showing respect for his abilities and intelligence meant that if he just let them be and stomach their relationship, he would've become heir to the throne in a very short time frame. Hell, he might've even gotten the throne through the King deciding to retire in the face of (pre-finale) an extremely liked and respected individual who shows great potential as king, uniting three kingdoms. But instead, King Knight is this impetuous brat who never grew up, and, lacking a father figure his entire life, turned into this mama's boy whose obsession with being officially "King" and ruling over others basically assured he would've betrayed everyone no matter what happened.

And I mean...he's already shown his childishness in the LP already with the way he acts on the Glidewing car. I think there are other points as well. Also, come on...him freaking out about his (single) mom and Pridemoor flirting is really childish, especially because there's absolutely no reason for him to be upset about it.

While this is mostly true, I still feel like Pridemoor really should have known better to appeal that way, considering King Knight very openly wished he'd leave his mother alone. If he had taken a step back beforehand, the appeal might have worked. If he had appealed in another way, it might have worked. The way things played out, however, there was no realistic chance King Knight would have done the right thing. Pridemoor might be a good king, but the man simply cannot read the room.

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Card games
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Grounder wrote: 3 years ago spoilery goodness
I dunno about that. On a certain level, it's a fair point, but you would kind of have to disregard

the feelings of King Knight's mom, who was very openly receptive to Pridemoor's advances,

for it to make sense (which, when you really think about it,

King Knight did just that: he was so overly protective of his mom he didn't consider her own feelings

). It's important to consider everyone's an adult in this situation.

Plus, even if we were to accept it being a fair point, it's still extremely petty

for King Knight to let that be the reason he betrays everyone, though it befits his character

. And ultimately, I feel like if it wasn't that, then it would be something else that would trigger

the betrayal

Cyril wrote: 3 years agoCard games
Never play em, as Los Campesinos! says
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

No. Seriously. CHEAT. Cheat like the absolute self centered, guady, son-of-a-kind-and-caring-woman you are.
Go buy all your upgrades and clear the worlds and get all the good optional cards you can, then comeback and steamroll all these losers with your vast amount of good cards and cheats.
thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago It's important to consider everyone's an adult in this situation.
Honestly, with how they write King Knight, I start to wonder if he's literally a child or teenager.
Le Neveu de Rameau

Tenlade wrote: 3 years agoHonestly, with how they write King Knight, I start to wonder if he's literally a child or teenager.
Spectre Knight does outright call him "a child in the guise of a monarch", which does suggest he's supposed to be pretty young. "Talented but inexperienced teenager with big-fish-in-a-small-pond syndrome" seems to be the vibe they're going for here.