(shouting)

ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Re: ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

the intended result of putting GAY SHT in yump might have been
"and all bad level makers got owned!"
but the actual result is just
"there's one more bad level in the smw ecosystem"
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 3 years ago Now that I've heard that originally you were invincible the entire time I think I understand why it's like this. It would seem that it was never expected for you to play this without taking hits, and so taking this and expecting the player to survive this onslaught with a finite amount of hits just makes it super unreasonable. I wish I could have played the original version, because although the random effects described by PSI Ninja sound frustrating, I feel like that would be way better than what this is now. Worst case scenario it would be just as bad and I'd just save scum through it anyway.
Actually, I’m fairly certain that was the second version. The original both didn’t have the invincibility and had the controls getting scrambled every few seconds; the invincibility was introduced by a bug that we never ended up fixing because the level was obnoxious enough with it. And then after seeing raocow’s struggle with the control scrambling in the original playthrough, chdata himself suggested removing it entirely for the public release.

Like most of chdata’s levels, I feel that the Yoshizilla room has so much potential but then completely squanders it by going way overboard with everything. The concept of giant Yoshi spinjumping on buildings is hilarious but both the sections with it are way too unforgiving, and the original control gimmick is super impressive but needed a much simpler level to be even close to reasonable. One of the ideas I had for ASMT2.0 was to take the control code and put it in something on the complexity level of SMB1 1-1; I’m still not sure how fun it’d be to play, but it’d certainly be more playable than this mess.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I don't think we should have a juvenile discussion about "good (good)", "good (bad)", "bad (good)" and "bad (bad)", esp. if people are saying that one or more of them should not be made. People make things for more reasons than to "make something good" or "make something bad". Let us recognize even a simple idea like that!
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Skye

Post by Skye »

Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

yoshicookiezeus wrote: 3 years ago Actually, I’m fairly certain that was the second version. The original both didn’t have the invincibility and had the controls getting scrambled every few seconds;
that's what I thought after I saw someone say that the intent was not to have invincibility, but it was hard to accept bc the awfulness that this level would have been with both scrambled controls and no invincibility is beyond human comprehension imo. you try to picture it and your brain just slides out of your ears
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

Shard1697 wrote: 3 years ago
yoshicookiezeus wrote: 3 years ago Actually, I’m fairly certain that was the second version. The original both didn’t have the invincibility and had the controls getting scrambled every few seconds;
that's what I thought after I saw someone say that the intent was not to have invincibility, but it was hard to accept bc the awfulness that this level would have been with both scrambled controls and no invincibility is beyond human comprehension imo. you try to picture it and your brain just slides out of your ears
yoshizilla as it is causes my brain to slide out my ears. is it not meant to do that???
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Shard1697 wrote: 3 years ago Image
How many times do I have to say this

"You haven't seen the old MATH contests then."

The Most Awesomely Terrible Hack contests - essentially a contest version of YUMP that predated it by like 5 years - demonstrates that an intentional clevely bad level made for a 'cleverly bad project' context can be funny, at least to watch.

One stupid-bad level in YUMP does not undermine that point. Lazy's level was criticized for missing what people actually expected from YUMP, that being unorthodox but interesting, so I don't think you should treat it as the go-to example.
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago
Shard1697 wrote: 3 years ago (you've seen this image enough times i think i don't think you need it embedded again)
How many times do I have to say this

"You haven't seen the old MATH contests then."

The Most Awesomely Terrible Hack contests - essentially a contest version of YUMP that predated it by like 5 years - demonstrates that an intentional clevely bad level made for a 'cleverly bad project' context can be funny, at least to watch.

One stupid-bad level in YUMP does not undermine that point. Lazy's level was criticized for missing what people actually expected from YUMP, that being unorthodox but interesting, so I don't think you should treat it as the go-to example.
not to mention that a good chunk of YUMP 1 were, in fact, bad levels that were unorthodox but interesting, and with YUMP 2, literally the entire thing is that (sans like 2 levels which were nothing but jokes with Tubular Remastered and "i had an idea for a level last night) with some of the most advanced ASM i think i've seen in a hack ever??? like yeah YUMP 1 and YUMP 2 do have some stinkers but it is. Incredibly Shallow to state that YUMP is all bad because one level that is just outright bad without a hint of irony exists within it. especially since raocow has even said he has gone on record to find YUMP 38 fascinating despite its bad qualities and has more or less forgiven its inclusion (not that he was really mad at its existence, just that he was mad at the level itself, but there's not really a better word to use tbh)

and as raocow put it in MaGLX2: if you're going to make a bad or joke level, make it an event! and that's pretty much what YUMP 1 and 2 did, they were "bad" levels but they went above and beyond to make them interesting! heck even YUMP 38, as terrible as it is to play, evidently, it's still very interesting if we're talking abt it right now!
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
watho
:0

Post by watho »

this is a dumb slap fight
Leet

Post by Leet »

it's especially dumb because re: good and bad aren't real
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

watho wrote: 3 years ago this is a dumb slap fight
can't call it that without some of THESE bad boyz:
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago The Most Awesomely Terrible Hack contests - essentially a contest version of YUMP that predated it by like 5 years - demonstrates that an intentional clevely bad level made for a 'cleverly bad project' context can be funny, at least to watch.
ymmv I suppose but I value youtube bait levels that are only good to watch but not to play very lowly
camwoodstock wrote: 3 years ago not to mention that a good chunk of YUMP 1 were, in fact, bad levels that were unorthodox but interesting, and with YUMP 2, literally the entire thing is that (sans like 2 levels which were nothing but jokes with Tubular Remastered and "i had an idea for a level last night) with some of the most advanced ASM i think i've seen in a hack ever??? like yeah YUMP 1 and YUMP 2 do have some stinkers but it is. Incredibly Shallow to state that YUMP is all bad because one level that is just outright bad without a hint of irony exists within it.
who said that YUMP is "all bad"? I played and enjoyed both YUMP and YUMP 2. I am talking about a very small handful of levels in hacks that are just shit on purpose which is boring and not fun to play
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 4 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago The Most Awesomely Terrible Hack contests - essentially a contest version of YUMP that predated it by like 5 years - demonstrates that an intentional clevely bad level made for a 'cleverly bad project' context can be funny, at least to watch.
I'm gonna have to unprivatize MATH2 aren't I?
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

the point is that we all can agree:

the driving in sonic adventure 2 sucked
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

also i am abt to say a Blasphemy that i refuse to elaborate on for the time being (bc i will be doing so in my full trial of iron post when raocow finishes it); YOSHIZILLA > House of Turner.
Cyril wrote: 3 years ago the point is that we all can agree:

the driving in sonic adventure 2 sucked
the real friends were the driving levels in sonic adventure 2 along the way... <3
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

camwoodstock wrote: 3 years ago YOSHIZILLA > House of Turner.
Well this certainly makes me quite intrigued. I'm definitely looking forward to the elaboration on this.

Also, I remembered something I forgot to mention in my initial post: raocow mentioned that this is one of the worst things he has ever played, which is exactly what I was thinking when I was playing this. Off the top of my head I can't even think of anything I've played that was as unfun as this.

Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Finally got around to watching the video and, while I had remembered the Yukari boss existed, I had forgotten the designer remembered to make it so her fourth attack can be avoided by not moving. A little SMarisaW callback! (Back when that game was still immediately relevant to the raoverse.)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

The original invincibility bugged version? Or this latest version?
Skye

Post by Skye »

Leet

Post by Leet »

For some reason trial of iron is the level I remember most in the hack, vividly + more than the majority of levels in the game, other than the early levels that I played myself a few times.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Shard1697 wrote: 3 years ago Image
im not gonna contribute to this nonsense argument but the cognitive dissonance to use an image that previously called out racism in the mlm community to call out a stage purposefully meant to be a youtube level is Some Type Of Choice Hot Take

my stance is
Leet wrote: 3 years ago I don't think we should have a juvenile discussion about "good (good)", "good (bad)", "bad (good)" and "bad (bad)", esp. if people are saying that one or more of them should not be made. People make things for more reasons than to "make something good" or "make something bad". Let us recognize even a simple idea like that!
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

Skye wrote: 3 years ago
Voltgloss wrote: 3 years ago
The original invincibility bugged version? Or this latest version?
They're all equally worthless.
you kid but like, without spoiling too much abt my trial of iron post, yeah
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago im not gonna contribute to this nonsense argument but the cognitive dissonance to use an image that previously called out racism in the mlm community to call out a stage purposefully meant to be a youtube level is Some Type Of Choice Hot Take
not to drag things out endlessly but the image being a lot more serious than the actual discussion was supposed to be the joke, which clearly did not land

kind of like the level in question eaheaheh :aliceko: