(shouting)

ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Re: ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

It looks like raocow finished the rest of this thing in one video. I probably shouldn't be surprised given that the hardest thing on the left side is the guts dozer room, which isn't really that bad given how short it is. In any case, it's opinion time:

The fake bonus room was a fun little joke.

Deviating from the order raocow did these rooms, I actually did the metroid room on my first try when I was going in each room once to see what was in each of them. I did get kind of scared when the boss came at me through the floor at one point, but fortunately I managed to avoid dying.

The guts dozer room is rather annoying due to the fact that you have basically no time to react to things near the end. I wish the arrows were placed to give you a good amount of time to react each time rather than being a set distance each time, because by the end they basically feel pointless, almost to the point of being comical. As I said earlier it's at least short, but after the Yoshizilla room I wasn't in the mood to deal with it, so after getting to the end and dying once I put a save state there, which I loaded 1 time.

This room with the block enemies that mimic your movements is neat, although after the Yoshizilla room completely killed my enthusiasm I had a pretty rough time here, to the point that I ended up taking a break. After that I was able to appreciate it much better. Also, one thing that was tripping me up for a while is the fact that you can't duck jump for some reason. If ducking was disabled completely I'd understand, but the fact that you can duck on the ground only to pop back up as soon as you jump really confused me; I thought I was just messing up the inputs until it happened enough times that I tested it out.

At the end there's this boss fight, which is pretty easy, but after after all of that I'm perfectly fine with a boss that's more of a joke than anything. Hearing that raocow once considered putting a boo cloud here... well, I'm glad he decided against that idea.

And that's the end of ASMT. That was... well, parts of it were fun, but there were also parts that were very much not fun. For me personally I'd say that playing through this was a worthwhile experience; I feel like I have a better understanding of what's fun and what's not, which is something I always like to have. Although somehow I don't see myself being so eager to play along the next time raocow plays an old SMW hack.

At the end of this all my in game demo count is 876; adding the 126 times I loaded save states that would put my total demo count at 1002.

TiKi

Post by TiKi »

camwoodstock wrote: 3 years ago and unlike the trilobyte reaverbot or house of turner, this isn't really even impressive all things considered? pretty much nothing here is original, like yeah there's custom sprites but nothing here was made by chdata in-house.[/spoiler]
is this supposed to be a point of contention? most smwcentral users told me that i'm not supposed to judge a hack based on how much "made in-house" stuff it has. which kind of irked me and is part of why i left because a man can only take newbie boss so many times. they said "it's only a hobby" but isn't this sublevel a hobby for chdata as well?
camwoodstock wrote: 3 years ago Black Plague has returned to fight Demo after his defeat at the hands of those brothers, and is apparently a system judging by his "we" (i support them <3).[/spoiler]
ho boy if you think that's cool then check out the black plague fight (in super mario infinity 2: the cursed gem, not this hack) after reading updated it, let's just say system black plague is canon.

yes folks you are seeing this correctly. black plague. the bluish-white palette. the throw blocks. mario kicking. the booman instrumentality project has removed the differences between all big boo fights. maybe it's a youmu reference!
Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

watho
:0

Post by watho »

it’s satire all the way down
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

we're sending our thoughts down the well (all the way down)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

now to play every game since asmt again

including the replays
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I can't believe the ASMT replay is over - this past month and a half just flew by. This LP was a really good watch, and brought back a lot of memories. A completely different feel than the original LP, but it was good to see this game through a more critical eye, compared to the rose-colored view we got back in 2010 when there was still the excitement and fascination of a brand new collab that the public hasn't played yet (catering to raocow's tastes and what was in vogue at the time).

Below is a link to the spreadsheet that I've been using to track the demos, just in case anyone is curious. This was a fun little project, totally worth waking up two hours earlier than usual to start working on the day's videos. As for the cause of the demos, I classified enemies under a common behavior, as long as I could tell what they were acting like (for example, to handle enemy resprites like the Bees and Phantos in Argumentable's levels). I used the SMW names for enemies whose ASMT in-universe names I didn't know, which is why I asked earlier in the thread. And to be transparent about things, I caught two errors in the demos for the 2010 LP: (1) Charlie's Outhouse (secret exit) should have been 0 demos (instead of 1), and (2) Super Puzzle Deluxe (normal exit) should have been 9 demos (instead of 8). Luckily, they cancel each other out so the final demo counts weren't affected.

ASMT Demo Tracking sheet

The final demo and playthrough comparisons are posted below, for videos 37-40. I also added some additional statistics that people may find interesting.

asmt replay - 37 - the level covered in spikes
I noticed something when watching you play the harder levels in the old LP. Once you get past a difficult section that took you many demos, all of a sudden you cut right to the next section in later attempts, without any evidence of dying again in the earlier parts of a level. For example, you died 9 times in the first part of trial of iron, but once you made it past that, the rest of your deaths were in the Disco Shell room or the second falling section (unlike today, where some of the deaths were interspersed). So I'm not sure if you had really good muscle memory after a successful run, or if there was some tool usage to save time. Not to discredit pastcow's playing, but this just struck me as peculiar.

(then: 21, now: 32) trial of iron [raocow edition]

(then: 684, now: 588) Total demos
(difference: 96, -11 from yesterday)

2010 observations: There were double beet powerups in the alcove first seen at [0:41], which you didn't get this time. Pastcow just dropped down the right side of the screen where the Octobro was, to not have to deal with it directly. You were surprised by the message at the beginning of the Disco Shell room, because it was added by someone else.
asmt replay: Trial of Iron - 38 - FErocious jellyfish
This boss didn't give you as much trouble in the past, so you did another teleporter room right after beating it. Back then you called this room the "trial of life", so let's go with that.

(then: 7, now: 22) trial of life

(then: 691, now: 610) Total demos
(difference: 81, -15 from yesterday)

2010 observations: Even after rewatching the old video, I'm not sure how you managed to beat this boss back then either. Maybe it was your patented luck, which seems to have run out by 2021? The door in the midpoint respawn area placed you at the bottom of the teleporter room where the pedestal beets were, rather than putting you at the center right platform.
asmt replay: Trial of Iron - 39 - FEral pursuit, violet FEstivities and video game FElonies
Okay, so it's not fair to compare the demos for the Yoshizilla room in both LPs. Since they removed the randomized controls, they probably should have changed the message at the beginning too. These were the names you gave the rooms back then: trial of water (for Boss Bass), trial of borders (for Yukari), and trial of chaos (for Yoshizilla).

(then: 6, now: 8) trial of water
(then: 4, now: 8) trial of borders
(then: 21, now: 55) trial of chaos

(then: 722, now: 681) Total demos
(difference: 41, -40 from yesterday)

2010 observations:

trial of water: Although you were filtered to be small at the start, you got to keep your reserve powerup.

trial of borders: This room allowed you to start with all your powerups. You never caught on that you could just stand still for the fourth pattern.

trial of chaos: You were invincible throughout this room, except to the Hammer Bros. Within the "chaos fields" (sectioned off by the green posts), random things would happen to your controls. Based on your commentary, here were some of the effects: (1) constantly jumping, (2) reversed controls, (3) can't move at all, (4) high gravity, and (5) auto-pausing. A weird thing was that any deaths in this level allowed you to keep your powerups.
asmt replay - 40 - the end of the Trial of Iron and, consequently, the game itself
raocow, it's been my pleasure - I looked forward to doing this every single day (and getting up earlier than usual!). I may consider doing this again if you decide to replay A2MT and/or SMWCP.

The names used for the rooms back then were: mistrial (for FEeble bonus stage), trial of time (for inFEcted memory), trial of space (for FErrymen for oblivion), and trial of panic (for FEar the giant beast). I'll just go with the names you chose today.

(then: 0, now: 0) FEeble bonus stage
(then: 15, now: 15) FEar the giant beast
(then: 15, now: 0) FErrymen for oblivion
(then: 1, now: 3) inFEcted memory
(then: 0, now: 0) the fool's maniFEst

Final demo count (2010): 753 (in-game counter says 493)
Final demo count (2021): 699 (in-game counter says 569)

2010 observations: The Alpha Metroid in inFEcted memory sort of just ran into the projectiles and you one-shotted the boss. In FErrymen for oblivion, you weren't able to duck jump (you would unduck when you tried). The first "leap of faith" block sometimes wouldn't spawn. You were allowed powerups in FEar the giant beast, and were able to ride on top of Guts Dozer until you died. Also, you mentioned that the level was bugged where you would run faster if you were small.

Conclusions: Just some general things to mention. You were more happy-go-lucky in your old LP, and very few things annoyed you or made you angry. You were less averse to tool usage back then, and frequently used sciences and rewinds to help you figure out puzzles. This time around, you were more critical of the levels, but I think your play style was more cautious. I think this may have been the reason for the spike in deaths for some levels, like A Honeypot Trap. Sometimes you just need to press on without thinking too much. For most of the game, you had been widening the gap between the demo counters for the old and new LPs (~100 demos towards the end). Unfortunately, the changes made to the Yoshizilla room yesterday has skewed this metric. Overall, I agree with what you said in the first video and I think you have indeed leveled up as a SMW ROM hack player. At least now we've got the data to support this.
Miscellaneous statistics
One last thing: I used a spreadsheet to track details for every single demo in the game, allowing me to calculate miscellaneous stats. Here are some of them below. If you're curious, check out the Talkhaus thread later today, where I'll be posting the full spreadsheet.

Deaths by World

World 1 (then: 9 / 1.20%, now: 4 / 0.57%)
World 2 (then: 40 / 5.31%, now: 10 / 1.43%)
World 3 (then: 31 / 4.12%, now: 9 / 1.29%)
World 4 (then: 60 / 7.97%, now: 78 / 11.16%)
World 5 (then: 64 / 8.50%, now: 46 / 6.58%)
World 6 (then: 91 / 12.08%, now: 68 / 9.73%)
World 7 (then: 94 / 12.48%, now: 97 / 13.88%)
World 8 (then: 189 / 25.10%, now: 155 / 22.17%)
World 9 (then: 175 / 23.24%, now: 232 / 33.19%)

Old ASMT LP (2010)

Top 5 stage deaths: King Charles's Castle (157 / 20.85%), trial of iron (90 / 11.95%), Starry Nights (27 / 3.59%), CURRENTS (22 / 2.92%), giant ice cubes (19 / 2.52%)
Top 5 sources of death: Pit (143 / 18.99%), Lava (55 / 7.30%), Muncher (43 / 5.71%), (Off-camera (35 / 4.65%)), Spike (31 / 4.12%), Goopa (22 / 2.92%)
Savestate checkpoints loaded: 103
Sciences used: 18
Rewinds used: 67

New ASMT LP (2021)

Top 5 stage deaths: trial of iron (143 / 20.46%), King Charles's Castle (131 / 18.74%), A Honeypot Trap (47 / 6.72%), Starry Nights (37 / 5.29%), Overly Hot Beach (30 / 4.29%)
Top 5 sources of death: Pit (105 / 15.02%), Homing Bill (37 / 5.29%), Spike (35 / 5.01%), Lava (31 / 4.43%), Muncher (25 / 3.58%)
Savestate checkpoints loaded: 137 (7 of these were not counted as deaths)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i honestly think the yoshizilla demo comparison should be dropped entirely because they are two completely different levels in old vs. new
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

That was fun. Glad we got to experience this game again
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

This replay has turned me around completely and now I think ASMT is good.

Ok not really, but looking back on it and putting some of the differences I had with the design choices aside (even though I had nothing to do with making them) I can appreciate it for what it was. Some people put a lot of work into it, for better or worse, and made some really unique stuff that's at least worth a look. Other people sat on their level slot for 6 months and had to constantly be reminded to do something and idk what happened with them.

Personally, I came out of it on the other end learning a little bit about level design - I'm not sure if it comes through if you look at just my levels but I feel like while they might not be good, they do get progressively better. It amuses me because, more personal memories that don't relate to anyone else, but in a later thing, MAGLX or whatever (don't correct me on this again) I remember raocow playing the surprise level I did for it and going "I forgot Argumentable is a really good level designer" and I have no idea where that came from and also immediately after that my level got bad.

So yeah, ASMT was a good trip even if the final product should be burned in a fire and the ashes spread into the wind.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Well, that all happened. The most accurate thing I think I can say about this game is that I'm glad someone else played it for my entertainment, thereby allowing me to forgo playing it myself. Truly, the spirit of raocow as a concept has been realized.

The starry subroom in the capsule section was legitimately fascinating. I've never seen a fairer application of blind jumps!

Whether or not you've heard it by now, all of you owe it to yourselves to listen to the Samus Returns remix of the song used in the Metroid II subroom. A greater ending to this experience I cannot conceive.

Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

Grounder wrote: 3 years ago now to play every game since asmt again

including the replays
groundhog's day except it's raocow replaying asmt across a repeating 42 day period. i'd probably watch it too
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
1F0

Post by 1F0 »

Man, even though this hack is way too hard for me, there's a certain charm to it that made me want to keep going (with artificial midpoints of course). The writing is genuinely funny, the hack has a lot of interesting ideas, and the game just has this charm of people having a lot of fun making it and not being too serious. I think it definitely captures the charm of the VIP series, even if I still prefer actually playing 4 and 5 (due to them being a bit more around my skill level).

Now, does it hold up to modern standards? Eh... not really. But I found it a lot of fun back then, at least.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I touched on this before but personally I don't see the need for something to "hold up to any standards" besides one's own. I guess just like, seeing something like YUMP2/etc., which may be better in many ways, doesn't make me think ASMT is retroactively worse, it just means that there are now two things there that I like. The concensus aggregate opinion of the times shouldn't really have any bearing on our own.

E: To further clarify, ASMT's freshness may have overshadowed its flaws on release for some, but I don't think we were too stupid or needed better hacks to exist in order to see ASMT's flaws. We weren't less advanced beings, people noted flaws at the time too. It wasn't considered excellent then. The talkhaus was just a totally different place that already thrived on these weird niche games anyway. I don't think that kind of attitude is something that can only exist in the past.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Daarkbuu
Legendary Ammonite Princess

Post by Daarkbuu »

Really mad they killed off Demo in the end, trash writing 2/10

Can't wait for the savestateless run! See ya'll in another 10 (or 11?)
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

I forgot the Oysterlish translation, just reminded myself of it right now (don't worry it's 7 AM)
でっていうの反乱軍基地
And Then There Was an Classified Insurrection Land

さぁ、そろそろ始まるぞ!
Come, Shall We Slowly Begin?

どっちを向いても水があった!
Which Way You Look, There Was Water!

赤スイッチへの岐路
Way Back Home to the Red Switch
Crossroads to the Red Switch
(ugh if there was kanji!!!!!)

パズルの赤スイッチ
Red Switch of Puzzle

息が必要!!
Breathing is Needed!!

蠕虫をすむ洞窟
The Cave Where The Worms Live

ブルの接着剤工場
Bull's Adhesive Factory

跳ね兵団
Feather Army Corps

水晶がある洞窟
The Cave That is Recommended
The Cave Where There Are Crystals
(ugh if there was kanji!!!!!)

ヨッシーのウェアハウス
Yoshi's Warehouse

でっていうが飛んでいるスイッチ
And Then There Was A Flying Switch

見えない何かに怯える
Afraid of Something Unseen

可燃林冠
Fire Calamity In The Forest

はびこった植物の砦
Overgrown Plant Fortress

毒川を下って
Descending the Poison River

エメラルド要塞
Emerald Fort

ノアのギャーこ船
Noa's Gyako Ship

ハーイ スカーイ フラーイ
High Sky Fly

ブルたちの外便所
Bull's Outdoor Toilet

行け!帰れ!行け!
Go! Go Home! Go!

セブンスヘブン
Seven's Heaven

ところなんかのことです。
It's a place type thing.
(i think this is a meme????)

天国はすごく天空場所やばい
Heaven is a Very Sky Place Dangerous

チョコレートキャッスル
Chocolate Castle

ジャンプブロック捨て場
Jump Block Dump

押したスイッチの逆襲ゥゥゥ!!
Counterattack of the Pressed Switches!!!

ゆっくりしていってね
Do It Slowly

本物でっていうパワー
A Power You Could Say Is Real

緑の荒野
Green Wasteland

無題
Untitled
Free of Charge
(rrrg kanji)

大変いじめられたでっていうの仕返し
Revenge of the Much Bullied

黄色?スイッチの宮殿
Yellow? Switch Palace

さいこうのきちくれべるwwww
Most Brutal Level lolololol

土管ダッシュ
Pipe Dash

ハニートラップ
Honey Trap

よぉ、ブルちゃ~ん
Yo, Lil' Bull.

プレッシャーポイント
Pressure Point

コウラを追え!!
Chase the Shell!!

カラーレス ケイブ
Colorless Cave

外便所でパニックゥ!!
Panic in the Outdoor Toilet

ナイト オブ ザ リビングブル
Night of the Living Bull

⑨の氷
(9)'s Ice

上下動きのお城
Castle That Goes Up and Down

響き渡っている叫び声
Echoing Shouting Voice

巨大な角氷
Giant Ice Cube

スーパーパズルデラックス
Super Puzzle Deluxe

アイスパズルしろ!!
Ice Puzzle White!!

バニラのレベル
Vanilla Level

超スゲーリフトライド
Super Cool Lift Ride

お化けは怖い!
Ghosts Are Scary!

赤いノコのきらきら赤い死亡
Red Noko's Sparkling Red Death

氷の下で、それがある
Under the Ice, There is That

凍った旅
Frozen Travel

寒い寒い館
Cool Cool Mansion

埃の砂漠
Dust Desert

星を降る夜
Night When The Stars Fall

あちち砂漠
Shifting Sand Land

飛行物体の海
Flying Body Sea

回る砂の城
Castle of Spinning Sand

パ ニ ッ ク パ ズ ル
Panic Puzzle

コトパクシ号
Cotopaxi

出入り テレサ輪
Going In and Out! Teresa Rings

荒巻の砂漠氷塔
Ice Island in the Desert of Salted Salmon

ユーズ・ユア・イリュージョン
Use Your Illusion

ブラックパックンの遺跡
Black Packun Ruins

クルルン屋敷
Kururun House

最後の戦い
The Last Battle

ブルーノ城
Bruno's Castle

ブルーノ城 秘密保管庫
Bruno's Castle Secret Storehouse

漢字工場
Kanji Factory

とってもホットビーチ タイザー
Really Hot Beach

きゅうりゅう
Rapids

格闘王への道
Path to the King of Fighting

歌う山
Singing Mountain

株式会社どこでもクッパ像
Kabushiki Gaisha Anywhere Bowser Statues

そ こ で
Over There

もういやだ!逃げろ!
I Can't Take It! Run Away!

鉄の試練
Iron Trial
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

good ol' bruno
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago
raocow wrote:yo
I just tested out this variant of A2MT and Demo Kong Country did not crash on me at any point, i tried the spikes, the go through platforms, the non go through platforms, the tires, the on off blocks, the oil drums... it's time to fuck

There might be some additional fixes Maks might want to make but he's busy until May it seems
That custom block (animated hurt block used for the fire) is the culprit behind the two issues the level has. The block being present instakills for whatever reason (bad corner offsets maybe?), while the game crashes if it is absent. In regards to the block instakilling, neither myself nor anyone else caught this during testing, I have no idea what changed in that regard. For whatever reason, animated hurt block custom blocks were rare back then and I only knew of two: The one included in the base ROM already (an old, .bin block) and an ExAnimation-controlled animated hurt block that I used in my SMWCP2 level "Crocodilian Crossing". The main problem is that the latter was a BaseROM asset for SMWCP2, so I more than likely would've gotten into trouble if I simply brought it into another hack. So there was no way for me to "upgrade" the block. The solution at this point would be to simply replace the block with a newer animated hurt block with better, more modernized coding.

Either way, that's the explanation! :rao: I hope that the block can be swapped out without issue, even if it won't be for awhile, I want to make sure that my level doesn't end up delaying the LP. I loved A2MT and it brings back a lot of positive memories for me, so I'm excited to hear that it's in the cards!
Yoshi Ambassador!