(shouting)

ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Skye
Pronouns: she/her

ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 4 months ago, edited 43 times in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

Post by KobaBeach »

fucking racist charliest
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Mea

Post by Mea »

Oh how fun, I've never watched the original playthrough
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

AUS wrote: 3 years ago hey do a re-lp of asmt
hey thanks
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

i bet the first person to request it was like either shortly after the first LP ended, or worse--during the first one

people are jokesters
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Oh man, I’ve been looking forward to this. As much as the level design in many places really doesn’t hold up very well (way too much item hauling and the endgame really suffers from a lack of checkpoints), as the manager of the whole thing I still have a soft spot for it. And despite its age I’d say it still does have some genuinely neat stuff going on.

Also, something that I don’t think I had thought about before until I rewatched the original playthrough a few months ago: when we started this project, basically nobody on it had any real experience with SMW hacks beyond watching raocow play them. In fact, as far as I know and remember, me and Kristian (who led the project for a while at the start before handing it over to me) were the only ones who had done anything serious with Lunar Magic before when we started, which makes the fact that we even managed to put this whole thing together something of a miracle in and of itself. (and makes Kil’s contributions even more impressive)
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

yoshicookiezeus wrote: 3 years ago In fact, as far as I know and remember, me and Kristian (who led the project for a while at the start before handing it over to me) were the only ones who had done anything serious with Lunar Magic before when we started, which makes the fact that we even managed to put this whole thing together something of a miracle in and of itself. (and makes Kil’s contributions even more impressive)
holy shit that's fire lmao

ugh man. asmt is a hack that like, has aged like shit (not as badly as smwcp or a2mt but) but i understand why it's so important to people of this forum, smwc and raocow. i may not like asmt as much anymore but it's also important for being one of the first major western led collabs, smwcp literally only got off the ground out of spite (quote unquote, i hope) for asmt lol

it was also through it that i discovered raocow and the talkhaus, which iirc also later lead to me discovering jp smw hacks such as vip 1-4, the, colon p colon p colon p and tottemo yeah.

which are the reason im still inspired to hack, which evolved into me outright. learning how to make a disassembly based editor with c# as of a few days ago just so more chocolatey stuff is easier to make without worrying about working around fusoya or whomever else's level editor hacks, or patches getting crossed wires... haha.

current project is getting the program to decompress graphics, decompress the level data, combine it and display a level based on that data, lots of 65c816 to c# logic translation as well as basic gui building with windows forms. competing with fusoya's a fool's errand, i'm only doing this for fun and for hackers who prefer hacking methods similar to pokémon and sonic haha. wish me luck ^^
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

yoshicookiezeus wrote: 3 years ago Oh man, I’ve been looking forward to this. As much as the level design in many places really doesn’t hold up very well (way too much item hauling and the endgame really suffers from a lack of checkpoints), as the manager of the whole thing I still have a soft spot for it. And despite its age I’d say it still does have some genuinely neat stuff going on.

Also, something that I don’t think I had thought about before until I rewatched the original playthrough a few months ago: when we started this project, basically nobody on it had any real experience with SMW hacks beyond watching raocow play them. In fact, as far as I know and remember, me and Kristian (who led the project for a while at the start before handing it over to me) were the only ones who had done anything serious with Lunar Magic before when we started, which makes the fact that we even managed to put this whole thing together something of a miracle in and of itself. (and makes Kil’s contributions even more impressive)
Pretty sure ASMBXT was a similar situation; outside of Frozelar and a few people who worked on the Talking Time Episodes, no one had ever touched SMBX before then. It's too bad the remastered/2.0 version never happend.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

SAJewers wrote: 3 years agoIt's too bad the remastered/2.0 version never happend.
The old idea of a v2.0 was actually part of the reason why I rewatched the series, but looking at it again I came to the conclusion that turning it into something that’d stand up to today’s standards would involve redesigning a big portion of the levels entirely, and at that point I’m not sure there’s much point in a remaster over just making an entirely new hack.
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

i mean, a new hack would be rad too
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Looks at MaGLX3 and A2MBXT...and zombie A2MT

I don't think that's going to happen, SAJewers
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

hey, the advent collab happened, i'm sure a small scale, laid back project would work
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Post by Emral »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago Looks at MaGLX3 and A2MBXT...and zombie A2MT
hey-hey! if everything's going according to plan, the first of these will be done by the time this LP is over :kood:
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Not going to lie, the idea of trying to get an A3MT going has crossed through my head a couple of times, but when it comes down to it I don’t think I’d be up leading a project like that again. And besides, it feels like most people here have moved on to SMBX; I’m not sure how much interest there’d even be at this point.
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

Hey raocow, I'd like to suggest you explain what a-side and b-side were in one of the video intros, for posterity.
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

congrats on re-beating YUMP! a lot faster than the first time too
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Guys, games cannot age, if the levels were shit they were shit in the past too. So it's a good thing they're not shit, and are awesome!!!!!!!! (Except for some of them actually) This game rocks

And also yeah any collab will "never" be finished, smw or smbx, which sucks but that's what happens when they're made like that; ASMT being made by people who didn't know what they were doing is probably exactly why it got finished pretty quickly, because it was made out of enthusiasm instead of trying to live up to a bunch of rules and ideals. same thing with asmbxt. to finish anything and make anything expediently you have to not overthink it. unfortunately once you overthink something it is extremely hard to underthink it again.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Leet wrote: 3 years ago Guys, games cannot age, if the levels were shit they were shit in the past too. So it's a good thing they're not shit, and are awesome!!!!!!!! (Except for some of them actually) This game rocks
honestly you have a really good point there. not even being sarcastic lmao
i love dragon slayer: legend of heroes 1, hydlide and romancing saga 1 snes and those are a pain to play for jrpg fans that grew up with stuff like persona 3-5, ffx, tales of symphonia, nier automata, trails in the sky/cold steel etc. hydlide was a struggle for 80s kids who spent the last few years playing zelda even!

Leet wrote: 3 years ago And also yeah any collab will "never" be finished, smw or smbx, which sucks but that's what happens when they're made like that; ASMT being made by people who didn't know what they were doing is probably exactly why it got finished pretty quickly, because it was made out of enthusiasm instead of trying to live up to a bunch of rules and ideals. same thing with asmbxt. to finish anything and make anything expediently you have to not overthink it. unfortunately once you overthink something it is extremely hard to underthink it again.
it's really easy to make a hack/episode and that is to just throw shit at the wall and not care about consistency or standards. even just pick up lua/asm and just code bullshit if you understand the bare basics of programming. fuck people who say carol bosses are bad, it gets results, worldpeace almost ended up dying hospitalized from coding jump half koopa dilf. seriously, the stupidest stages in mario maker 2 and leaving comments on them afterwards are some of the most fun i've had with an official mario game in like Years and i need to boot up my copy more often before i have to recharge my nso subscription, thanks nintento

the only reason i havent released a hack yet is executive dysfunction and now ktb gave me the editor idea, otherwise i'd probably still be working on a small demo inspired by jp hacks (saving that for after i work on the editor further to fuck with smw's engine more, a la super demo world)
Image Image
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

yoshicookiezeus wrote: 3 years ago Not going to lie, the idea of trying to get an A3MT going has crossed through my head a couple of times, but when it comes down to it I don’t think I’d be up leading a project like that again. And besides, it feels like most people here have moved on to SMBX; I’m not sure how much interest there’d even be at this point.
tbh after YUMP2 i think certain people are fairly excited for SMW possibilities (like me)

but yeah that sounds terrifying i dont even wanna joke about it lmao
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I saw the video notification this morning and didn't think anything of it because it said "mario" and "x" so I assumed it was a SMBX game which I never watch. But then the post for the video in /r/raocow (which isn't really active, basically just an automatic feed of videos posted by a bot) showed up in my reddit feed and I noticed what it actually was

Oh man, I've been waiting for this one! The original ASMT LP is basically the first raocow LP I really remember watching? Like I think I started watching some raocow stuff earlier, but it wasn't for long before the original ASMT series started and it's the fondest LP experience I can remember, basically the only time I was just really excited to get up in the morning for the new episode. I was in 8th grade, I'd wake up early before school, shower, then hop onto my laptop with wet hair. I distinctly remember the foam pads of those headphones kinda feeling gross against my hair since it was still wet, and it would make my hair dry with the impression of cups around my ears. I digress, but that's all to say I have vivid memories of the original 2010 LP.

I wish I could say that I forgot everything so I could experience it all again, but I'm sure I've watched the series (or at least random episodes, or started it again) since then. But more importantly, when Super Maks made the fixed version, I decided to give a shot at playing through the whole game on console (via a Super Everdrive cartridge). I was doing an all-exits run, and I got as far as (I think) the final level where... I gave up because it was too hard. So most of the game is still relatively fresh in my mind, but I guess the endgame should be a lot of stuff I've forgotten.
RealLink

Post by RealLink »

Oh man I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw this in my sub box. It's been a while since I have been active on here (I think last time I commented after the video to my contribution to zombie A2MT?), but I really wanted to post some of my thoughts on here too.

Being part of ASMT was really one of the best experiences I've had during my time in the SMW Hacking Community. Coming together with others to create something was incredibly fun. I was never able to finish any of my own projects, but having a bit of my creativity in this makes me really happy.
I think my level (the boss, specifically) was one of the major game breaking bugs as it was one of my first ASM projects and I used a very silly method of random generation that broke on SNES9x. Still, in my personal opinion that one and the A2MT level are probably also the best levels I have ever made, because they are just based on one silly idea that I had fun with. I will probably comment on it a bit more when the video for that is up!

Really looking forward to the future videos!
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Enjl wrote: 3 years ago
thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago Looks at MaGLX3 and A2MBXT...and zombie A2MT
hey-hey! if everything's going according to plan, the first of these will be done by the time this LP is over :kood:
I fucking hope not, I want the A-Sides to end
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Leet wrote: 3 years ago Guys, games cannot age, if the levels were shit they were shit in the past too. So it's a good thing they're not shit, and are awesome!!!!!!!! (Except for some of them actually) This game rocks
Aesthetics which were pretty and cutting-edge become dull over time. Mechanics which were acceptable, even easy, become obtuse and difficult. Jokes which were funny 10 years ago are not funny now. Same with memes. Narratives that seemed epic and/or unique become cliched and derivative. Levels that were clever in intent becomes shit later on.

Games do age. Some well, others not. If they didn't, we wouldn't be be receiving the five dozen remakes and remasters we get every single year. You might think that shit is just Capitalism™ and the Nostalgia-Industrial Complex, but really, games change. So do people.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Have fun not allowing yourself to watch any movie or read any book older than 10 years old because they need to be "fixed" I guess

I will be having the time of my life enjoying art from all of human history, such as this devastatingly ancient 11 year old romhack. Much like how every one of us who was around when it was released is also devastatingly old, I guess. (Not)
Last edited by Leet 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.