(shouting)

ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

Post by KobaBeach »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago ronco play megaman legend
this but only so he also plays Misadventure of Tron Bonne
absolutely. i need to play all three games too, i've only played a bit of mega man legends on n64 and i was not very good at it, i got lost a bit of the way through. i think i made it to the wily mission, at least i've spoken to him
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

It looks like it's going to take raocow longer than I anticipated to do all these rooms. At least I got most of the teleporters out of the way so now I can just relax and watch raocow play through them. I like the way this is presented, as 8 challenges that you can do in any order, but some of these challenges are of questionable quality, like this first one that raocow played.

When I first saw this boss I thought it was going to be a neat boss fight, but it starts off kind of awkward and it only gets worse as the fight goes on. In the first phase I feel like the small enemies that follow you move a bit too fast, meaning that if you want to avoid unnecessary risks (which is definitely something you'll want to do given the later phases of the fight) it will probably end up dragging on for a while as you swim around in circles waiting for the small enemies to disappear.

The second phase immediately demonstrates one of the more serious issues: the fact that the transitions between phases are super abrupt. If you're in the wrong place when changing phases you can end up taking a cheap hit. It didn't take long for me to start counting hits. There are other issues with this phase as well, namely the enemies that come in randomly from the sides of the screen, which make it a problem to try to grab the shells, and they can also be a pain if you want to dodge a certain way but one of these enemies are in the way. Fortunately the stationary shells are enough to hurt this boss, meaning you can just swim around the middle and wait, making this at least tolerable.

The transition to the final phase is even worse than the first transition with the way it just drops you to the ground while the boss starts rapidly moving along the ground. The rapid earthquakes don't help matters, and are a pain even once you get on the platforms. The shells are a pain to grab without falling off the platforms, so eventually I just stopped trying to stay on the platforms and just fell to the ground on purpose and then quickly jumped back up. I got fairly good at avoiding the boss while doing this, but the unreactable projectiles kept killing me, so eventually I grabbed as many shells as I could and left them on the ground in the first phase so I could get a bunch of quick hits on the second and third phases and just end them as quickly as possible.

Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I feel like a big problem with this boss is that it's:
1) chdata's first sprite ever
2) no sense of good enemy design
3) said chdata was a 12 year old
Skye wrote: 3 years ago raocow will never have children because he doesn't want them to end up like chdata.
raocow calls children stupid all the time so i dont think he'd think highly of them in the first place
Image Image
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I think the boss is neat but yeah there's a couple minor things you could do to improve upon it, but I think mostly it's the third phase that's the problem. That probably could've just been a completely different boss in a different arena
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Argumentable wrote: 3 years ago I think the boss is neat but yeah there's a couple minor things you could do to improve upon it, but I think mostly it's the third phase that's the problem.
Yeah I'm mostly talking about the second and third phase which feel super random and trademark "my first custom boss". Abuse of earthquakes, projectiles going five miles per hour, rapid screenwrapping. A shame too because the easy going first bit is a neat attempt at an underwater boss.
Image Image
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

i'll share my thoughts on Mr. Legends Jellyfish whenever i post my full Trial of Iron post but i do have a question--does anyone happens to have a list of the creators of each room in trial of iron? i know this one and at least one other room was by chdata, and i know one room was by the Kanji Factory person, but besides that it is just Mist in my Brain
Skye wrote: 3 years ago raocow will never have children because he doesn't want them to end up like chdata.
either you have your terrible game design phase at 12 or your terrible game design phase at 20. i think we lucked out in the long-term
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

the earthquake is perhaps one of the worst effects that could have been popularized in smw hacks. smw does not need CC
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

camwoodstock wrote: 3 years ago i'll share my thoughts on Mr. Legends Jellyfish whenever i post my full Trial of Iron post but i do have a question--does anyone happens to have a list of the creators of each room in trial of iron? i know this one and at least one other room was by chdata, and i know one room was by the Kanji Factory person, but besides that it is just Mist in my Brain
It's in ASMT readme. For reference.

Code: Select all

Kil		flameofdoubt		chdata		chdata
chdata		yoshicookiezeus		chdata		yoshicookiezeus
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

camwoodstock wrote: 3 years ago i'll share my thoughts on Mr. Legends Jellyfish whenever i post my full Trial of Iron post but i do have a question--does anyone happens to have a list of the creators of each room in trial of iron? i know this one and at least one other room was by chdata, and i know one room was by the Kanji Factory person, but besides that it is just Mist in my Brain
reverse card open. enemy controller - chdata
yukarin is 17 years old - yoshicookiezeus
megaman legends - chdata
vore fish - chdata
guts dozer - chdata
metroid 2 - flameofdoubt
blockhead subspace - kil
oame gver - yoshicookiezeus
camwoodstock wrote: 3 years ago either you have your terrible game design phase at 12 or your terrible game design phase at 20. i think we lucked out in the long-term
please raocow was at least 26 when he made what the hell
Shard1697 wrote: 3 years ago the earthquake is perhaps one of the worst effects that could have been popularized in smw hacks. smw does not need CC
the earthquake timers and stun timer are different addresses actually, you can make earthquakes without stuns. abuse of stunning is terrible though
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Screenshot 2021-03-28 130127.png
Screenshot 2021-03-28 130127.png (8.02 KiB) Viewed 2776 times
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago
camwoodstock wrote: 3 years ago either you have your terrible game design phase at 12 or your terrible game design phase at 20. i think we lucked out in the long-term
please raocow was at least 26 when he made what the hell
and i still like what the hell despite how objectively bad its design gets. not sure if that's a just a me thing though but it is just like a guilty pleasure hack that i find super duper interesting
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

Re: Stunquakes

Taking control away from the player is generally a bad thing, even if it's only for a second. It's why lag in online games is frustrating (probably.) Generally speaking you should probably limit doing stuff like that.

Of course I'm not talking about stuff like Resident Evil for example where your options start out limited. If you have few options but they're always there that's (generally) fine IMO. I could do some game theory talk let's start a podcast.
I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

SAJewers wrote: 3 years ago
Screenshot 2021-03-28 130127.png
The $64,000 question then becomes whether it gets a new thread or we raise the AtMM thread from the dead
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Everyone focuses on how the boss isn't well balanced/designed because it was made by a 12 year old but if he really was that old at the time, it's pretty damn impressive a 12 year old made this

Also to confirm, is the capsule completions saved between deaths? Or does the game expect you to do these all in one go?
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

raocow shouldn't need to use savestates in game then, at least for now. the demo counter may live
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

well, savestates ended up being used anyway

they somehow made yoshizilla worse
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
camwoodstock

Post by camwoodstock »

raocow wrote: 3 years ago well, savestates ended up being used anyway

i am both excited and TERRIFIED to see how this one goes
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

raocow wrote: 3 years ago well, savestates ended up being used anyway

LOVE your new signature.
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Skye wrote: 3 years ago
Ashan wrote: 3 years ago Everyone focuses on how the boss isn't well balanced/designed because it was made by a 12 year old but if he really was that old at the time, it's pretty damn impressive a 12 year old made this

Also to confirm, is the capsule completions saved between deaths? Or does the game expect you to do these all in one go?
Yes, capsule completion is saved between deaths.

if they

had this technology

for trial of iron.

why wasn't it used

anywhere else

in the game

also 12-year old chdata really is the true villain of asmt huh
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Cyril wrote: 3 years ago
Skye wrote: 3 years ago
Ashan wrote: 3 years ago Everyone focuses on how the boss isn't well balanced/designed because it was made by a 12 year old but if he really was that old at the time, it's pretty damn impressive a 12 year old made this

Yes, capsule completion is saved between deaths.

if they

had this technology

for trial of iron.

why wasn't it used

anywhere else

in the game
Because “thing doesn’t reset between deaths” is a whole lot easier to code than a proper extra midpoint. (also if I remember correctly the teleporter room was basically the last thing we finished in the entire hack)
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Argumentable wrote: 3 years ago Re: Stunquakes

Taking control away from the player is generally a bad thing, even if it's only for a second. It's why lag in online games is frustrating (probably.) Generally speaking you should probably limit doing stuff like that.

Of course I'm not talking about stuff like Resident Evil for example where your options start out limited. If you have few options but they're always there that's (generally) fine IMO. I could do some game theory talk let's start a podcast.
has there never been a talkhaus podcast?

i bet if this forum had started a few years ago rather than a decade ago there might've been, but i cant place my finger on why i think this
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

The closest thing is Cortex