(shouting)

ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Re: ASMT 11th Anniversary LP - Hey There Guy

Post by AUS »

Voltgloss wrote: 3 years ago What's an example of a *good* generator level, where the level is *improved* by the presence of the generator? Serious question.
im remember levels that use the diagonal bullet bills, one that has a crosshair that always follows you. i dont remember where or when this was though
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

AUS wrote: 3 years ago
Voltgloss wrote: 3 years ago What's an example of a *good* generator level, where the level is *improved* by the presence of the generator? Serious question.
im remember levels that use the diagonal bullet bills, one that has a crosshair that always follows you. i dont remember where or when this was though
The Ruins of Challenging Sadness, by Frozelar, from JUMP.

I was rewatching JUMP, but I got burnt out from the forest stages' efforts in beating the player black and blue, which is exactly the same thing that happened to me when playing the game (not saying they're bad)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

After thinking about this for a bit, I decided to take a look at how the bullet generator is used in Vanilla Dome 4 in the original game. There aren't many enemies here, and they don't pose much of a threat on their own, but together with the bullet generator they can pose some amount of danger. Also, the level has you going up and down a decent amount, increasing your chances of crossing paths with a bullet bill if you time your jumps poorly. Granted this level is probably super easy for any seasoned Mario player (it is only a world 3 level after all), but I'd still say this is an example of a generator used well.

GVirusG

Post by GVirusG »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago Nice overworld music in world 7. I didn't expect a hack of this time to have different music in different parts of the shared overworld map.
GVirusG wrote: 3 years ago Hey there, long time no see! Hope you're doing well.

I don't really feel all too well with my old videos. I just don't see myself in the content I created back then anymore. I moved on from it? Is that the right expression? I'm sorry if that's disappointing to you or anyone who enjoyed watching that stuff back then.
All of the videos are on private. If you want, I can unlist the WTH2 vids and send you the links. I can do that no problemo. Just send me a text if you want to rewatch that.
Well, I was wondering why the somewhat properly concluded WTH2 series was privated while the unfinished Stipulation World challenges were public. But if you're fine with sharing the links, I would appreciate that.
Check the attachments, I made you a txt file with all the links, because I don't want to spam the thread with it.

There you go, enjoy ;)
Attachments
What The Hell 2 Links.zip
(494 Bytes) Downloaded 37 times
Too lazy to be creative here
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 3 years agobut I'd still say this is an example of a generator used well.
i think the real test for "is a certain level a good generator level" is: if you remove the generator, is the level significantly worse

if the level is worse or like even literally unplayable then obviously the generator is necessary. whether "necessary" = "fun" is not to be a concern of this post, but I think we start at "literally the level is made better with the addition of a generator" and work our way up to "this is a good level that i would play"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

A little detail that is often forgotten is that when you press a P-Switch it affects the entire sublevel you press it in, regardless if the thing it affects is currently on screen or not.
So for the first dragon coin in PANIC PUZZLE, you can just press the P-Switch and wait it out. The other P-Switch at the very start of the level will have fallen down from its brown block even though it wasn't on screen at that time.

It's not a mechanic you think about very often. In fact, there was a puzzle level in VIP 6 that just uses this super basic mechanic but it's still a hard nut to crack somehow.
this is getting laundromatic
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Hey Leet this video was made specifically for you apparently (I have not watched it yet)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Fun fact about Panic Puzzle: it originally had a time limit of 40 seconds rather than 100, so it didn’t have the whole “music getting faster” thing going on. I remember changing the time limit specifically to create that gimmick, but in hindsight I kind of regret it, as it made actually running out of time mostly a non-threat.

(also hope everything is okay re: medical issues D:)
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

yoshicookiezeus wrote: 3 years agobut in hindsight I kind of regret it, as it made actually running out of time mostly a non-threat.
but on the other hand, now the level is iconic
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

yoshicookiezeus wrote: 3 years agobut in hindsight I kind of regret it, as it made actually running out of time mostly a non-threat.
yeah honestly this is way better
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

回る砂の城
パ ニ ッ ク パ ズ ル

the prodigal son has returned. please stay safe racowo

i cant find a common term for sandcastle in the japanese lexicon, so i just went with palossand (sandcastle vore pokémon, shoutout to griflion)'s pokémon category. also did a K A N A W I T H S P A C E S name for panic puzzle to vary up the endless amount of panics in asmt. So Endless It's Unbearable!

i dont know what's spinning like. i can see stuff like the 火花 and morning stars (ball n chain is a generic name) but after that it's just lol mario land

wrt health technicians, yeah they're really nice. i've heard horror stories about some mental health places, and as someone who suffers from mental health troubles i was honestly worried. a friend of mine was in one ages ago and said that i shouldn't worry and after watching a fucking tiktok compilation of people who were submitted in psych wards that he sent me, i felt a bit more comfy?? i feel like i dont need it for now with occasional check ups from my psychiatrist and my psychologist through phone, but i'll keep it in mind should i ever need it.

panic puzzle is performance art levels of god tier

next up another argu level 8-)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

raocow wrote: 3 years ago
yeah honestly this is way better
To be clear, I don’t regret adding the gimmick as such, it’s more that if I had put slightly more effort into it I could have done exactly the same gimmick with like five lines of code in LevelASM and kept the time limit as it was.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 3 years agobut I'd still say this is an example of a generator used well.
i think the real test for "is a certain level a good generator level" is: if you remove the generator, is the level significantly worse
Well, without the generator Vanilla Dome 4 would probably be kind of boring. A lot of the enemies here really seem like they're meant to supplement the generator. For instance, at one point there are some piranha plants that seem positioned in a way to make you wait. With a generator (which at this point in the level is the type that shoots five bullets at once) waiting is actually a meaningful action with danger associated with it. Without a generator these plants would just break up the flow of the level without adding anything meaningful.

Anyway, now that raocow's back from the hospital (which sounds like it was a bit of an ordeal, but I'm glad raocow at least seems to be fine) I have more levels to talk about than Vanilla Dome 4. "Spinning Sand Castle" was enjoyable, although I had a bit of trouble figuring out that I was supposed to kill the thwomps at the end. Once I did figure that out I was able to do so without much trouble, and without taking damage, which isn't that hard if you just take things slow rather than just running in and picking up blocks as fast as possible.

"PANIC PUZZLE" is another level I remember, mostly because of the way the music gets faster and faster, which I find quite fun to listen to. In the room with the springboard I tried to get the dragon coin from the top instead of going to the side and jumping from there, which took a few tries, but I was happy to take a bunch of tries since it meant I got to hear the music get even faster.

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago Hey Leet this video was made specifically for you apparently (I have not watched it yet)
I have watched it and I don't get it
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
camwoodstock
raocow play floigan brothers on dreamcast
First name: Cam & Tori
Pronouns: her/him

Post by camwoodstock »

that moment when raocow only gets to say "hey there, everyone, this is raocow" partway through the level. MAN that hospital must've been a thing

i really do like Spinning Sand Castle but i tend to forget it exists. i've always really liked super mario land--it's such a weird title that has such a neat identity despite being such a short game courtesy of being a launch title for the gameboy. so the usage of super mario land enemies in this level makes me quite happy! part of me wishes maybe the music was the underground/dungeon music from that game? i also do kinda wish the enemies were given wacky resprites in the same way other asmt enemies are but i do worry that'd make it a bit hard to tell they're super mario land enemies. the boss fight at the end is unique but i do kinda wish it had a bit more to it; as it is you need to just take out half the blocks as raocow demonstrates, and the thwomps present very little threat on their own. ik a lot of people were like "oh is there even a situation where a sprite generator would be GOOD???" earlier in the thread but. honestly, spitballing an idea here, i feel like this fight might've been a good spot if you telegraphed it??? also, making the thwomp hitboxes be properly 2x2 so you have to actually clear both blocks. as it stands though, i do like this idea of a "thwomp boss" quite a bit! it's kinda like smb3 bowser lite and it's kinda neat.

PANIC PUZZLE is the level with the funny music. ok thats it no more comment.

...i'm kidding of course, i actually like this level. it's pretty alright on its own, mostly just kind of an item babysit scenario but at least it's more engaging than other item babysitting areas in this game. but the MUSIC. yoshicookiezeus says he wanted the timer to be a threat but honestly the raw emotional FEAR that is set up because the music gets hopped up on sugar precisely because he made the timer less of a threat??? it's HILARIOUS. using the dagadons as a "key" is actually SUPER CLEVER, i like that idea! i feel like this level would NOT be as memorable as it is without the hilarious music though. the fact that it just goes COMPLETELY bonkers sells the "panic" aspect much more than the timer being lower than it is would.
"dingus prime, the alpha and omega of utter spoons"
~camwoodstock | she/he (genderfluid) | :bi_pride: :genderfluid_pride: | &: Tori (she/her) | The Wall of Turner
Xenesis
Syogun Changer
Pronouns: She/Her

Post by Xenesis »

yoshicookiezeus wrote: 3 years ago Fun fact about Panic Puzzle: it originally had a time limit of 40 seconds rather than 100, so it didn’t have the whole “music getting faster” thing going on. I remember changing the time limit specifically to create that gimmick, but in hindsight I kind of regret it, as it made actually running out of time mostly a non-threat.

(also hope everything is okay re: medical issues D:)
I think the level would have been much worse with a 40 second time limit, so I'm actually glad that you didn't.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

camwoodstock wrote: 3 years ago also raocow does point something out that does have me curious--just how many levels in this hack have powerup filtering, anyways? we've seen quite a few of them but i'm wondering the exact tallies
I also wanted to know this, so I quickly tested all the levels in my completed save file. There are 12 levels that filter your powerups in some way at the start (i.e., I didn't account for all sublevels). You can't reenter the Switch Palaces, so I couldn't check those. I listed these levels in the spoiler below.
Start as Small Demo with no reserve item:
Chillout
Raw Horse Power
Colour Crave Cave
A Vanilla Level
Dusty Desert
Starry Nights
Spinning Sand Castle

Start as Small Demo and keep reserve item:
Pressure Point
House of Turner

Start as Big Demo with no reserve item:
A Honeypot Trap

Start as Fire Demo with Fire in reserve:
Super Puzzle Deluxe

Start as Caped Demo and keep reserve item:
High! Sky! Fly!
It's time for the twice-weekly demos update. This time, for videos 19-23.

asmt replay - 19 - below the ice there is a level, followed by the ice fortress level
World 6 purgatory was even longer in the old LP: it took 11 videos spread across 8 days. And in doing these rewatches, I noticed a random thing from raocow LPs of yore that we no longer hear today: those Windows notification sounds.

(then: 8, now: 1) Below The Ice, There is...
(then: 6, now: 5) The Frozen Crusade (normal exit)
(then: 3, now: 5) The Frozen Crusade (secret exit)

(then: 287, now: 214) Total demos
(difference: 73, +6 from yesterday)

2010 observations: You experienced some intermittent slowdown in The Frozen Crusade, although you said it was your computer. In both playthroughs, you got gotten by that falling gray platform, died from sliding into the Grinder, and in the secret exit path, one of the three Thwomps on the autoscroller return trip didn't spawn. There was also some weirdness with the submap events. In the old LP, the normal exit of The Frozen Crusade led to Chateau Chilly (today it led back to giant ice cubes), while the secret exit didn't open up any paths, and you were a bit confused by this.

Your paths in both LPs converge at the start of Chateau Chilly, so it's a good time to give an update on the discrepancy of the old demo counter. By that point in the old LP you were at 219 demos, but by my count you were really at 287. This means that so far, you have died in pits 68 times back then.
asmt replay - 20 - the level that ends world 6 and the one that starts world 7
Both levels ended with a Big Boo fight, so maybe it was appropriate that they were played together. Dusty Desert was made by the same author that did Super Puzzle Deluxe (Personalness), and it took you 3 videos over 2 days back then. As for the second Big Boo fight, couldn't you have just hit the Big Boo with the springboard as the final hit, instead of having to jump up and use a third throw block?

(then: 7, now: 0) Chateau Chilly (main stage)
(then: 1, now: 0) Chateau Chilly (boss)
(then: 1, now: 0) Dusty Desert (secret exit)
(then: 10, now: 10) Dusty Desert (normal exit)

(then: 306, now: 224) Total demos
(difference: 82, +9 from yesterday)

2010 observations:

Chateau Chilly: Initially you wanted to go for a raocoin run, but that idea was abandoned pretty quickly. The jump at [1:30] gave you some trouble back then (you died 4 times there), but you eventually got there big and used "strategy" (just tanked the hit). You got impatient and fast-forwarded through the end cutscene. At the end of the video you stated that you would load from SRAM the next session instead of your savestate, in order to address a bugfix. Not sure what that was referring to; I'd have to do some forum archaeology to find out.

Dusty Desert: Back then you were using ZSNES, so you couldn't see the top-most pixels of the bottom layer where it looked like you needed to put the springboard in a pit. The second vine at [13:28] didn't spawn when you hit the block, so you had to die and try again. As with most puzzle levels back then, you used ample rewinds and science while figuring things out. Most notably, you rewound at [17:58] because the blue P-Switch fell through the slope. You ended up feeding the Baby Yoshi your reserve powerup - however, you still missed the Yoshi jump. And to address what you said at [23:10], no, you didn't die on the return trip in the old LP.
asmt replay - 21 - the phanto level
Yes, this was "The Aristocrats" video back then. It seems like swarm levels just aren't your type. Also, hey, what's a normal Piranha Plant doing there?

(then: 3, now: 8) Starry Nights (normal exit)
(then: 24, now: 29) Starry Nights (secret exit)

(then: 333, now: 261) Total demos
(difference: 72, -10 from yesterday)

2010 observations: I think you made more of an effort to group the Phantos together in the old LP. There were no "speed of sound" Phantos that I noticed. This is not related to the gameplay, but the audio became increasingly staticky towards the end, and I thought it was my headphones being temperamental.
asmt replay - 22 - two levels, one dry one wet
The commentary for the first level was more "hushed" (on purpose). You even tried to subdue your scream when you got ambushed by a shell, which was funny. I'm not sure that the mirage water is lava - none of the enemies died when they entered it.

(then: 9, now: 10) HOT! HOT! DESERT!
(then: 5, now: 4) Flying Objects Sea

(then: 347, now: 275) Total demos
(difference: 72, +0 from yesterday)

2010 observations: The same watermelon in HOT! HOT! DESERT! ate your jump, causing you to die in a similar way. I think you had a more difficult time seeing the mirage blocks in the second section back then - you died 3 times to those.
asmt replay - 23 - the super mario land enemies level and the speedy music level
Ah, the old port of Krook's March, an old staple of SMW hacking. By the way, yesterday was the 11th anniversary of the start of the original ASMT LP, and on Mario Day too, by coincidence.

(then: 1, now: 4) Spinning Sand Castle
(then: 3, now: 1) PANIC PUZZLE

(then: 351, now: 280) Total demos
(difference: 71, -1 from the previous video)

2010 observations: After doubting if the final room in Spinning Sand Castle was a kill room, you cheesed it by killing the Thwomps with throw blocks. In PANIC PUZZLE, your lives counter went down by 2 in between cuts while your demo counter remained the same, so I can deduce that you fell in a pit off-camera. That's the first time I noticed that in the old LP. And based on your playing back then, the Gao enemies don't look like they turn around when you pass them, unlike the snakes.
Shard1697

Post by Shard1697 »

The way that people talk about generators is interesting because it only makes sense in the context of hacks while in the original game, generators are just a thing nintendo employees used to make some semi-unpredictable obstacles sometimes

like people call generators in hacks 'lazy' a lot, but no one plays vanilla smw and thinks "those random bullets/eeries were really lazy". and of course they shouldn't, since in that context it's a mechanic someone had to code rather than just plop down in a level via lunar magic. I wonder what the person who coded the bullet generator(who never in a million years could have predicted this) would make of that sprite would become a oft-derided feature because too many 13 year olds stuck it in their levels willy nilly
1F0

Post by 1F0 »

Can someone delete that port of Krook’s March from the internet so no one ever uses it in their hack again? It legitimately sounds like the person who made it didn’t actually listen to it before they uploaded to SMWCentral. Instruments coming in at the wrong time, off-key parts, and overall not pleasant to listen to.

Anyways, other than that tragic music choice, these levels were pretty nice. I love how the constantly speeding up music makes Panic Puzzle feel a lot more intense.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Oh my god, this is barely relevant to the video or LP but while taking the time to admire the chicken sprite replacement for the Rip Van Fish, I suddenly realized that the name, "Rip Van Fish" is a reference to Rip Van Winkle.

Which is admittedly a story I wasn't really familiar with, but I thought it had something to do with a guy who falls asleep for a long time. And I looked it up and sure enough that is the case.

For some reason it never occurred to me it might be a reference. I always thought it was just a silly Mario name like "Goomba"
Argumentable
the biggest shit
https://argu.talkhaus.com/

Post by Argumentable »

I'm responsible for half of this level. I'm a bad person because I forget who I did the other half with. It's especially bad because we were talking about doing a small duo hack after. I think kil animated the bird though?

I also don't really remember much about the production of this level, aside from I did one area, he did one area, and it just sort of went from there. I want to say he did autoscroll on/off section and I did midpoint room after seeing that. Then I did the horrible underwater section and he did the vertical swimming area after. I couldn't tell you much more of the process. I do want to say that the on/off secret area was tacked on after the main path was made which is why it's a little weird... and why there's no outlines of the blocks like in the other areas

It seems I had and still do have an unhealthy obsession for using the bro type enemies (not sure why I wanted to add molotov bros) but my one mercy is falling into a pit

Also yeah, the auto on/off was definitely supposed to move faster but it's not a big deal

I'm on Youtube andTwitter and Discord so say hi to me on there cause I don't really post here also I have sigs off so I can make my sig as ugly as I want and it won't bother me this is my sig btw
LunarRainbowShyGuy

This is a level where I feel like all the individual sections are alright, but as raocow said in the description it feels like two or three levels in one. I feel like I might have liked it a lot more if it was split into multiple levels. I enjoyed the first section the first time I played through it, but it feels like you really have to take your time if you want to get through it safely, and after dying a few times in the second section I started getting impatient, leading to me dying in dumb ways in the first section, and eventually I just started stocking up on fire flowers every time I died just to lessen the tedium.

The second section is a slow autoscroller, which I feel like I wouldn't have minded if I didn't have to play through the first section every time I died. Also, at the very end, when the scrolling stops, it's possible to squeeze between the on/off block and the edge of the screen and end up trapped up in the corner with no way out except to wait for time to run out. Good thing snes9x has a fast forward feature, because that happened to me the first time I got there.

I'd be fine with the section after the midpoint if there were more easily available powerups, but the only powerup here is guarded by a pair of hammer bros, making it practically require a powerup just to get to it. When I first got here I still had a fire flower from the previous section, but once I died and realized that there was no way I was getting that powerup while small I went right back to stocking up on fire flowers every time I died.

The first section for the secret exit was kind of annoying due to the fact that the bloopers are unaffected by cape spins. It didn't help that I again had to go back through the first section every time I died, and at this point I was getting so impatient that I had a hard time even keeping a fire flower to this part.

I feel like I would have enjoyed the second section for the secret exit more if there was a safe area to get used to the water columns; once I got over the initial shock of having an unfamiliar level element thrust at me while being assaulted with an eerie generator I got through here without too much trouble, but I did die a few times while trying to jump into one tile wide columns of water, which of course meant I had to go through the first section yet again each time.

S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

1F0 wrote: 3 years ago Can someone delete that port of Krook’s March from the internet so no one ever uses it in their hack again? It legitimately sounds like the person who made it didn’t actually listen to it before they uploaded to SMWCentral. Instruments coming in at the wrong time, off-key parts, and overall not pleasant to listen to.
I love how I haven't listened this particular port in about ~10 years, yet I immediately heard it in my head after reading your comment. It's a staple of the past, but boy howdy is it ever awful.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Leet wrote: 3 years ago
Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago Hey Leet this video was made specifically for you apparently (I have not watched it yet)
I have watched it and I don't get it
Video length
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it