(shouting)

Donkey Kong 64 - I heard a whistle, so something cartoony and stupid's gonna happen... Oh, something stupid is happening

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - Give this orangutan his gun

Post by Duker »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 3 years ago So have you reversed your peer-pressured policy change on including blueprints in the title or did you just forget?
(Emoji name is raocow)
fart.
Zarcyne1

Post by Zarcyne1 »

That's the first full clear. No need to go back to Jungle Japes again. Good precedent on not worrying about colored bananas too much. Those gave me a headache too many times to be worth getting them all.

Once you know to get the rainbow coins, money really becomes a non issue. As a kid I didn't know about them and felt that I always barely had enough as I went through the game. But the extra 5 they give really takes a load off.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Yeah, the Rainbow Coins negate the need for money SO MUCH. There's just, way too much money in this game in the end! XD
J. J. W. Mezun

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - It's me, I'm Tiny, I wanna get rich

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years ago I like the Frantic Factory music too - I always thought that the wind-up toy sound effects throughout the song were cool. Actually, I think most of the later worlds have very good musical themes. And speaking of music, a lot of it reminds me of the tracks in Banjo-Kazooie, especially the boss door fanfare and the boss fight itself. I guess it's not that surprising, since Grant Kirkhope was the composer for both games.
I think the DK64 soundtrack may be Kirkhope’s best work, e’en better than Banjo-Kazooie.

I don’t know how I should feel ’bout hearing raocow be so “hungry” to see a bunch o’ primates get nuked out o’ existence.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Honestly I feel like the rainbow money is a bit of a mistake in this game, because while finding money for stuff with each kong may not be the most fun thing to have to do, the rainbow money almost completely negates the need to seek out individual kongs' money in levels.
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

While that's true, it also negates the need to go through levels as all five Kongs looking for spare change. Game can be tedious enough as it is.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

They should have just had all the Kongs share the same pool of money in the first place. But the developers were probably already in too deep making sure each Kong had their own set of collectibles, and so they just decided to keep up the trend with the money too. Maybe their intention for separating the money was to remind the player that each Kong had their own unique moves and abilities to learn, by forcing them to enter the shops one by one. Unfortunately, that quickly becomes tedious.
Nimono wrote: 3 years ago Boss door fanfare is actually ripped straight out of Banjo-Kazooie- it's the same theme as entering the stop n swap areas in that game, the ones with the ice key and mystery eggs!
I thought that fanfare sounded familiar. I used to mess around in Banjo-Kazooie a lot using GameShark, and enabled infinite hover and various clipping codes to help me collect the Ice Key and some of the Mystery Eggs. My mind was blown when it was finally revealed that there had been in-game cheats to unlock the Stop 'n' Swop items all along. Rare was really ambitious with Banjo-Kazooie - seeing all of the things that were either cut or not fully implemented is truly fascinating.

As far as the LP is concerned, raocow's been making swift progress the past few episodes: two sessions with six Golden Bananas each, and one session with eight Golden Bananas. It doesn't seem like this LP will be super long? Though I don't remember if there are a lot of back-to-back Golden Bananas in the later worlds that are really involved, that we'll get a long series of "one banana videos" as a result. And I noticed that xfix has been keeping the bar graphs up-to-date, which is awesome.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - but now there's bees, what am I gonna do?

Post by FPzero »

You're not missing anything about the minigame barrel at the end of the episode raocow. You're absolutely intended to ponytail twirl into it but you kept missing by a fraction each time. That vine is also just decoration and not climbable.
Zarcyne1

Post by Zarcyne1 »

No! Not the precedent! Anything but the precedent! The start of the video got me laughing too hard thank you sir rao.

Now you got probably the single most useful/busted ability in the game, and it makes Tiny super useful, too bad most of the abilities are just keys, though I do love a lot of them anyway. I like that Chunkys super secret hidden grandma hint is the first banana you got today.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

i forgot how utterly lock-and-key this game is

ugh

This is also probably why people call it the epitome of everything wrong with collectathons- not only is there SO MUCH to collect in the game, by individual characters, a lot of the powerups end up being "go here to perform this action that cannot be used anywhere else, and is thus only useful for this one task". You pretty much already have all the only actual POWERUPS in the game. The only real useful one you get is Ponytail Twirl! The other anywhere-use ones do have some use, but ultimately they still end up lock-and-key. Why would you ever use Chimpy Charge on an enemy, after all, when just your standard B attack is better? Or use the Secret Move from the Fairy Queen to instakill for a single Crystal Coconut, that one's much better already!

Oh, on that note- fun fact about Kasplats. If you time your attacks right, you can knock them on their butt with an attack (usually your dash attack), and then do your standard B combo to where the moment they become vulnerable again is during the final attack of it- which for some reason will defeat them right then and there. I have no idea why this only happens if the third hit is the only one of the combo to hit them!
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Honestly, the timing of this LP is pretty good, DK64 may be over 20 years old now,
but people are still learning about some crazy stuff,
not only was it figured out how a certain glitch works with the

Dragonfly Boss

but an actual easter egg/cheat was finally found too! All within the last month.

Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I'm not sure I understand why that temple in Angry Aztec makes you have to hit a switch with a specific Kong's ammo every time you want to enter. I guess it's to force the player to tackle the obstacles inside solo? If so, then I don't think it makes any real difference, other than adding an extra unnecessary step. Putting a Tag Barrel inside would have made things a whole lot more convenient.

It seems like some of your near misses with the Bonus Barrel at the end of the video may have been due to it constantly bobbing up and down. I don't normally make gameplay suggestions here, but maybe if you kept trying to twirl from the center of that upper platform rather than from the left or right, it would have made things easier, due to the shorter distance needed to travel.
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

I actually found the sheer schadenfreude o’ that ending very satisfying.
MonkeyShrapnel wrote: 3 years ago Honestly, the timing of this LP is pretty good, DK64 may be over 20 years old now,
but people are still learning about some crazy stuff,
not only was it figured out how a certain glitch works with the

Dragonfly Boss

but an actual easter egg/cheat was finally found too! All within the last month.
I can’t wait for the inevitable DK64 disassembly to come out & for a couple years later when raocow plays DK64: Last Impact.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years ago I'm not sure I understand why that temple in Angry Aztec makes you have to hit a switch with a specific Kong's ammo every time you want to enter. I guess it's to force the player to tackle the obstacles inside solo? If so, then I don't think it makes any real difference, other than adding an extra unnecessary step. Putting a Tag Barrel inside would have made things a whole lot more convenient.

It seems like some of your near misses with the Bonus Barrel at the end of the video may have been due to it constantly bobbing up and down. I don't normally make gameplay suggestions here, but maybe if you kept trying to twirl from the center of that upper platform rather than from the left or right, it would have made things easier, due to the shorter distance needed to travel.
Or even just making a switch that activates on ANY ammo, or any of a specific list of ammo. But I mean- they already had it so DK had nothing to do in the temple, so I'm not sure what the harm is in letting DK in... I guess it was their way of saying "Guys, DK has nothing to do here, don't bother trying to check thinking you missed anything for him- there's really nothing for him here."
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 3 years ago I can’t wait for the inevitable DK64 disassembly to come out & for a couple years later when raocow plays DK64: Last Impact.
i know you're joking, but the game might massively benefit from that

maybe it'll get a pc port and not run like poop :partygator:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

You've unlocked the ability to pull levers! It's amazing having completely forgotten all the silly stuff this game has.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 3 years ago I can’t wait for the inevitable DK64 disassembly to come out & for a couple years later when raocow plays DK64: Last Impact.
If that hack's by either Kaze Emanuar or Skelux, I'd prefer raocow would not. Both of those guys are alt-right, or at least provide a safe haven for them on their Discord servers.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

TiKi wrote: 3 years ago If that hack's by either Kaze Emanuar or Skelux, I'd prefer raocow would not. Both of those guys are alt-right, or at least provide a safe haven for them on their Discord servers.
i'm sorry what

I never knew .__. at least for Kaze...
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Nimono wrote: 3 years ago
TiKi wrote: 3 years ago If that hack's by either Kaze Emanuar or Skelux, I'd prefer raocow would not. Both of those guys are alt-right, or at least provide a safe haven for them on their Discord servers.
i'm sorry what

I never knew .__. at least for Kaze...
https://talkhaus.raocow.com/viewtopic.p ... 31#p453331
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - grapes are not even hard

Post by Dragon Fogel »

All that and he didn't even get the bananas from Snide.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

oh man, now that it's shown up again, I'm reminded that Flyswatting Bonanza is and always has been the actual worst minigame in DK64.
like, there's always the fan least-favorite that hasn't shown up just yet, and yeah, that one does such a poor job of explaining its mechanics that it actively feels broken and unfair. And I hate it too. But eventually I was able to "get it". The flyswatting one just feels awful every time you play it, no matter how well you understand what's going on.

(disclaimer: when Stealthy Snoop first showed up I also recognized that one as the actual worst minigame in DK64, so I may, y'know, loop back around to that which has not been named)
I don't really get it but okay
Zarcyne1

Post by Zarcyne1 »

Good ol' Gloomy Galleon, the token water level that all 3D platformers need for some reason. It's starts off closed and confusing, with lots of big areas and lots of things that open other things you don't know where anything.

Though with all that said, I actually kind of like it. I really like the music, and the general atmosphere of the level is strangely serene. Plus, once you get a feel for the level it becomes a lot more manageable and it has one of my favorite things I won't talk about just yet.

I finally got around to booting this game up again, and it seems to play about how I remember. I also noticed that each Kong has as instrument playing in the character tag barrel, DK gets a trumpet, Diddy gets a sick guitar riff, Lanky gets a trombone, Tiny gets a groovy sax, and Chunky gets a bass drum. It's really neat.
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

For some reason I always thought that all shops (Cranky's, Candy's, Snide's etc) were all equivalent, regardless of the level? Have I been wrong all my life?

Fun fact: When Lanky jumps, he often says "Ouve lá!" which means "Listen here!" in Portuguese.
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

The real DK64 begins.

It’s clear that they just programmed that flyswatting game so that it does a simple check if the flyswatter is down & its hitbox ( which only seems to be the top half o’ the swatter ) touches the fly, which ’splains why you have weird stuff raocow was talking ’bout like the fly getting squashed after flying into the swatter after it went down & the swatter missing a lot.

I just realized that this game letting you choose ’tween worlds 3 & 4, which are factory & water themed, is similar to what they had in DKC3, but that game had the themes switched.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

raocow, how welcome do you actually feel in Bonus Game?