(shouting)

Donkey Kong 64 - I heard a whistle, so something cartoony and stupid's gonna happen... Oh, something stupid is happening

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Paragraph

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - woah, it blew up, what a shocker

Post by Paragraph »

Kincyr wrote: 3 years ago throwing oranges can be done in first-person
Yeah that's something I know now

It's still not a panacea for that room, for the barrel dudes further away you still have to bounce them well.

I think the recent episodes overall showed well how utterly pointless the various ammo systems in the game are. You only really run out if you have to repeat an annoying challenge a few times, so it just adds tedium there. After a few fairies, your maximum amounts of the incidental stuff are so high that you'll never run out from said maximum, so any arguments for, dunno, limiting the time Diddy can fly around exploring are moot. Crystals are the most likely to annoyingly run out, the rest apart from ammo you'll probably never see empty in a meaningful way. Oranges are too situational. Music charge? Gimme a break. I almost forgot about film rolls, lol.

Only ammo you could make an argument for, but honestly, the guns aren't good enough to keep using on everything. I know that it's fastest for some enemies to spam them down with guns (because I watched a speedrun), but that takes, like, 10 shots. Whatever. The vast majority of time you're using ammo as a key, to unlock doors or bananas in balloons, there's no reason to have it limited there.

Of course, if you get rid of all the barely useful pickups, the worlds will have many, many empty corners, but that's its own problem, isn't it?
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

Paragraph wrote: 3 years ago
Kincyr wrote: 3 years ago throwing oranges can be done in first-person
Yeah that's something I know now

It's still not a panacea for that room, for the barrel dudes further away you still have to bounce them well.
one thing I didn't know until recently is that orange grenades will slightly home in on targets after the first bounce. I'm guessing that was done because they're hard to aim and the first-person aspect of lobbing oranges isn't in any official documentation
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - there I wanted to get more crystals, but I fell

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I couldn't help but think that destroying the club guys in DK's igloo section might summon a Strong Kong barrel. Is that guess right or are they just there for basically no real reason whatsoever? I could honestly see it going either way in this game.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

Might as well crosspost this, turned out there somehow wasn't any video on youtube simply showing all of Snide's HQ animations, and so I made it.

fart.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Dragon Fogel wrote: 3 years ago I couldn't help but think that destroying the club guys in DK's igloo section might summon a Strong Kong barrel. Is that guess right or are they just there for basically no real reason whatsoever? I could honestly see it going either way in this game.
checked the players guide; nope.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Duker wrote: 3 years ago Might as well crosspost this, turned out there somehow wasn't any video on youtube simply showing all of Snide's HQ animations, and so I made it.

Wow, they literally just get more tedious and repetitive as the game goes on for no real reason :kood:
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

Paragraph wrote: 3 years ago Of course, if you get rid of all the barely useful pickups, the worlds will have many, many empty corners, but that's its own problem, isn't it?
Do what Spyro does with gems & put bananas there, but just increase the # o’ bananas you’re expected to get for 100%.

I don’t know why, but I just find it hilarious to see DK’s corpse pushed round by the spinning ice brambles when you die, specially with the somber, no-thrills way it’s presented, without a death jingle.

The hardest part o’ the TNT challenge is fighting your desire to let the rabbit get what’s coming to them.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
Grounder

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - only took an hour

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Diddy's bananas are so obnoxious in this level lol

gj on getting them all!

(and all the rest)
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Well, looks like getting Super Duper Simian Slam early didn't end up costing you too badly. It looks like the upgrade makes you turn panels about as fast as the enemy does, so you can make up for it with just a touch of strategy - if you start switching his panels before he starts switching yours, you'll come out ahead.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Donut

Post by Donut »

The irony is that the part I was worried about was relatively trivial for him, while the beetle race is, bizarrely one I didn't remember especially well. I wonder how much easier this race was on console, because I have trouble believing I'd forget this race if my experience was the same as raocow's.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Donut wrote: 3 years ago The irony is that the part I was worried about was relatively trivial for him, while the beetle race is, bizarrely one I didn't remember especially well. I wonder how much easier this race was on console, because I have trouble believing I'd forget this race if my experience was the same as raocow's.
The beetle race and panel minigame were both exactly as I remember them on console (with the exception of I know the physics were occasionally weird but I never got pushed straight off the course by forces unseen in that one part.) It really comes down to rao not avoiding the beetle- that was always what caused my failures too, and the game basically needs you to realize that 1) if you're both on the slopes, staying in the center is the equivalent of standing on train tracks and hoping the train misses, and 2) if you're right behind him, slow down. Don't try and pass him because you'll just run into him over and over and lose all your coins, and lanky IS actually faster than the beetle so you can just pass him no problem at the end.

The big thing in this race simply boils down to noticing what's going wrong and changing tactics, rather than trying to do those tactics but better.
I don't really get it but okay
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - basic math with Donkey Kong

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

BobisOnlyBob wrote: 3 years ago There's a free clone of Beaver Bother available here on Steam based on the Donkey Kong 64 Nightmare Stream by hbomberguy and pals.
Remember: DK says trans rights, ok? :trans_pride:
Quoting for anyone who missed it the first time and was inspired by today's escapades to bother some beavers
jayScribble
FEEL THE FORCE
Pronouns: it, they, that

Post by jayScribble »

So, Beaver Bother was bad enough with the edge gravity of the beaver, but someone once had it worse: https://youtu.be/OkMmyNw8HMA?t=9321
In that player's words: "My balls are blue as these beavers."

And the worst thing is that

there is another Beaver Bother in Creepy Castle with the same number to win.

I read around somewhere that this is one of the minigames that was improved in the Virtual Console, with the beavers more likely to fall in the hole due to the removal of lag. Is it true, though?
Have a 3DS friend code and PM me if you added me: 1289-8788-1766
Three important threads for me:
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

raocow wrote: ¿Do I understand [Beaver Bother] enough that I would be able to guarantee to be able to beat it again in the next… 5 tries? No. I don't think 10 more tries would be enough. I don't know if another hour would be enough.

I have terrible news for raocow…

Petzi

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - donkey kong, he does backflips for fun

Post by Petzi »

Beaver Bother, indeed
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

jayScribble wrote: 3 years ago And the worst thing is that

there is another Beaver Bother in Creepy Castle with the same number to win.

Honestly, that's the worst part about it,

why not spread 'em out a bit more?

Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
Grounder

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - donkey kong, he does backflips for fun

Post by Grounder »

more like beaver bugger amirite lads
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - be very systematic

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Hell is other beavers.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

raocow, you should become a professional Beaver Botherer.
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

Dk64 is a fun game but man did it make some questionable design choices.

Also I love how this thumbnail and the previous one are of the same corner of the same minigame.
Signature text.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

This seems like a good time to post this video.
Imagine any of these, instead of feeding snakes for the fifth time, or beaver hell.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

That snowman man lied when he said this was the best level in the game.

I love how the ending to this video indicates that raocow will now fore’er dread being ambushed by an unexpected “Beaver Bother”, with no way to predict when it will appear. ¿Will there be a 3rd 1 this level?
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote: 3 years ago raocow, you should become a professional Beaver Botherer.
I think Beaver Bother means that the minigame is bothersome ^.^'
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
Kincyr
HONK!

Post by Kincyr »

ROMhack idea: every minigame is Beaver Bother

but the mechanics are altered to allow you to simply eat them, counting toward the goal