(shouting)

Donkey Kong 64 - I heard a whistle, so something cartoony and stupid's gonna happen... Oh, something stupid is happening

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - Armored Armadillo

Post by Grounder »

TiKi wrote: 3 years ago
Nimono wrote: 3 years ago
TiKi wrote: 3 years ago When's the last time we've seen Toadsworth?
Dream Team. That was the last time (not counting Sunshine's re-release in Super Mario 3D All Stars) he's been seen in a game
Oh that wasn't so long-

2013?
i think he showed up in mario party: the top 100?

barring that, the 3ds version of bowser's inside story
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Paragraph

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - more money, not gonna say no to that

Post by Paragraph »

Look what I found

Anyone interested in some contents once raocow has seen them? It's got character bios, maps, suggested strategies for every banana...

It's in German, but e.g. maps wouldn't be an issue ofc
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Did you know that Tiny's favorite movie is "Bananic", and Diddy's is specifically "Banana Jones 2"???
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Paragraph wrote: 3 years ago Anyone interested in some contents once raocow has seen them? It's got character bios, maps, suggested strategies for every banana...
Knock yourself out
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Paragraph wrote: 3 years ago Image

Look what I found

Anyone interested in some contents once raocow has seen them? It's got character bios, maps, suggested strategies for every banana...

is that the same as this?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

I'll tell you tomorrow when I'm not on my phone in bed
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Paragraph wrote: 3 years ago Did you know that Tiny's favorite movie is "Bananic", and Diddy's is specifically "Banana Jones 2"???
Heh, that reminds me of a Mortal Kombat 3 art book I had when I was little, that listed all of the fighters' favorite movie, song, ice cream, etc. Completely ridiculous. But anyway, I'm sure that German guide is way better than the one I used.
Zarcyne1

Post by Zarcyne1 »

I'm half disappointed that raocow didn't miss out on Lankey and go to the next couple of levels until he gets stuck, oh well. Also, about that rainbow ground money, my memory tells me it does not give money for Kongs you don't have, though I'm not 100% certain on this, I guess we'll see when you bring out Funny Monkey tomorrow.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Paragraph wrote: 3 years ago Did you know that Tiny's favorite movie is "Bananic", and Diddy's is specifically "Banana Jones 2"???
Bananas are good

Anyway, here's some music

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Paragraph wrote: 3 years ago Image

Look what I found

this looks like cereal
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

TiKi wrote: 3 years ago this looks like cereal
there is no need to be upset
Nimono

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - It's me, I'm Tiny, I wanna get rich

Post by Nimono »

Frantic Factory is one of my favorite levels in this game!

It has one of my most hated collectibles, though. For those in the know, yes, it's THAT one.

Oh yeah, on the note of things, here's a future tip you may or may not want to view:

You've seen the Banana behind K. Lumsy's island, but there's also one INSIDE it. Even though the main focus is K. Lumsy's cell, there's still stuff to do inside! Not much, but still.

Zarcyne1

Post by Zarcyne1 »

Finally the gang is back together. You'd think K.Rool would try a little harder to keep them apart, but I guess not. Chunky is easily my favorite character, as you said, this game has so much personality. Something about Chunky not saying anything despite being in the room is kind of fitting.

Frantic Factory is such an interesting level. The level design is such departure from previous design with a bunch of hallways everywhere and then some more, but there are so many paths that it does not feel linear like how Angry Aztec does. Plus the music is so good, especially once you get to the factory and the horns come in. Such a good song.

This game allows you to do whatever you want, at the cost of taking the time to walk everywhere. Though considering your 30ish minute format of playing you start at the start and have to run everywhere that's almost not an issue. Don't worry about getting locked out, the 4th level only needs 3 more Golden McGuffins, you can go from level to level without ever having to go back. Even if you do get locked out, that's just another episode of Banana grinding cleanup, assuming that's how you want to play.

Play the game in a way that makes you happy.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

The last time I tried playing through this game I took a much more systematic approach and... yeah, it was an absolute slog and I couldn't bring myself to finish the playthrough. So I definitely recommend just having a romp through the game for the time being and saving any cleanup you want to do for the endgame once you've gotten every ability.

In any case, this game really loves its corridors. I suspect that level design choice was born from technical limitations, but it does make levels more confusing to navigate and Frantic Factory was probably the one I had the most difficulty with as a kid because of this. The "glass" windows didn't help matters either, but they did make me appreciate more when devs take the time to give glass surfaces tints or textures or reflective shaders or some sort of indicator that there is a tangible wall here that the player cannot walk through.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
Paragraph

Post by Paragraph »

Alright, so on a quick glance: the assets are the same - maps, screenshots, general graphic design - but the structure is pretty different. My version doesn't have a map on each Kong's page, for example, you have to deal with only a single one at the beginning of that level's part. The bosses have a whole page each, however, instead of a small insert.

The Kongs' bios are also more expansive (that's where I got their "favorite movies" from), spread over two pages instead of one.

I thought the maps and bananas for the overworld were missing, but that's at the end of the scans - it's a fold-out, which explains why it's tucked there.

Overall, I don't think my version would add much, especially map-wise I recommend looking at yours (if someone gets confused where raocow is with all the cuts, or if he himself wants to check missing stuff).
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

So, there is a downside to destroying the boss in a level: the Troff n Scoff portals disappear, and since they have tag barrels in them, that means less tag barrels around when you might need them
J. J. W. Mezun

Post by J. J. W. Mezun »

You have no idea how amused I was prepared to be when I saw raocow head for that other level underwater with the specific goal o’ rescuing Chunky, expecting him to spend the whole video in the wrong level not finding Chunky anywhere, only for the unexplained door guard’s gross teeth demands spoiling my fun.

Speaking o’ which, Rare picked probably the dumbest place to offer players a choice on which level to play. Not only is that other level probably the weakest level in the game, while as many people pointed out, “Frantic Factory” is the best level in the game (

tho I know a lot o’ people will vouch for “Fungi Forest”

), there’s a huge imbalance in that you unlock Chunky in “Frantic Factory”, while that other level gives you nothing. ¿So why would anyone e’er want to do that other level 1st?

I think they should’ve put Lanky in that other level rather than have him & Tiny both be in “Angry Aztecs”, as ’twould not only balance the 3rd & 4th levels, but also better spread out the Kongs.
Wenn alle stehen bleiben und anstarren
und sagen, <¿Warum musst du so sein?>,
schaue ich ihnen einfach in die Augen
und sage ihnen, dass ich von Fledermäusen aufgezogen wurde.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

I like the Frantic Factory music too - I always thought that the wind-up toy sound effects throughout the song were cool. Actually, I think most of the later worlds have very good musical themes. And speaking of music, a lot of it reminds me of the tracks in Banjo-Kazooie, especially the boss door fanfare and the boss fight itself. I guess it's not that surprising, since Grant Kirkhope was the composer for both games.

Something seems to be off about when you take fall damage in this game. When raocow jumped down from the middle section of the pole in Frantic Factory, he got smushed even though he didn't fall far enough for Lanky to start screaming. Yet in Jungle Japes, it looks like he fell from even higher places, but didn't get hurt. Maybe it's Kong-dependent? Just seems a bit weird to me.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

strongbadman wrote: 3 years ago So, there is a downside to destroying the boss in a level: the Troff n Scoff portals disappear, and since they have tag barrels in them, that means less tag barrels around when you might need them
It's interesting to note that even though you can't reenter the Troff 'N' Scoff portals normally,
if you glitch back in, they do actually change!

The boss door gets this big green checkmark on it.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

It sure is a good thing you were Diddy in that boss fight, if you were anybody else then it would- you wouldn't-

uh

WELL ANYWAY
Frantic Factory is kind of cool I guess? It was always one of my favorite levels because it was SCARY for being in K.Rool's base, but in an agreeable way. And it's sort of unique in its construction among DK64's levels, so that helps it stand out too! It's since fallen a bit out of my favor, but it's still a good world. I bet it'll work really well with the way rao's playing it in short bursts.
I don't really get it but okay
Paragraph

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - Everyone's going to the bat zone

Post by Paragraph »

In German, the pineapple launcher is called ANANAS ATOMISATOR

that's all
Emral
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - Everyone's going to the bat zone

Post by Emral »

Paragraph wrote: 3 years ago In German, the pineapple launcher is called ANANAS ATOMISATOR

that's all
Thank you.
I do things. You can find them on my talkhaus site. https://enjl.talkhaus.com/
Here is another link. This one lets you draw.
https://enjl.talkhaus.com/draw.html
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years ago And speaking of music, a lot of it reminds me of the tracks in Banjo-Kazooie, especially the boss door fanfare and the boss fight itself. I guess it's not that surprising, since Grant Kirkhope was the composer for both games.
Boss door fanfare is actually ripped straight out of Banjo-Kazooie- it's the same theme as entering the stop n swap areas in that game, the ones with the ice key and mystery eggs!
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - Give this orangutan his gun

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Mad Maze Maul is my favourite song in the game,

too bad it only shows up twice.

Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Donkey Kong 64 - Give this orangutan his gun

Post by Dragon Fogel »

So have you reversed your peer-pressured policy change on including blueprints in the title or did you just forget?
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!