(shouting)

Super Demo World: The Legend Continues

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Re: Super Roo World: The Legend Continues

Post by Ditocoaf »

J. J. W. Mezun wrote: 3 years ago ** out o’ all o’ them
*** out o' 'll o' 'em
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Nimono wrote: It's because Pipe Maze 2 takes a LOOOOOOOOONG time, and even if you find the exit, you need the P-Switch to get it, so if you hadn't found it yet, you have to go through a LOT of pipes to go find it- and if you've already USED it because it wasn't fully clear where to use it, gg, you have to wait out the timer to restart. No reset pipe or door. No enemies to die to that you can't kill. No munchers. Just, sheer agony of waiting. Also, because all the pipes are fast, it can be difficult to actually memorize where each pipe leads. Sure, raocow got it on run 2, but he was going in circles SO MUCH in run 1. Levels where you're expected to get a time up because you're spending too long just trying to get your bearings on where progress is, are typically considered bad design.
I agree with this assessment, basically. Definitely, the biggest problem in this level is if you wasted the P-Switch, there's no quick way to restart. Therefore, adding more time or setting the timer to zero to better accommodate the long, complicated mazes are not viable options. So yeah, removing the P-Switch or adding resets, as suggested, would have improved things a lot. Also, perhaps using more different colors for pipes at every junction would have helped to make things easier to track, but at least they used both green and purple pipes here. Now imagine if all the pipes were green.

Even though these pipes are referred to as the "SMB3 screen scrolling pipes", they appear to scroll way faster than the ones in SMB3 (I'm catching up on the ascetic run, and I happened to watch the Pipe World stages recently). Though it might be an illusion due to Mario entering and emerging from the pipes a lot slower in SMB3. Curious to know what happens if the time runs out while you're inside the scrolling pipes, since it doesn't pause as you're travelling through them. I assume you just get kicked out of the pipe where you are and the death animation plays. We came close to finding out in the video.
blue_kirby wrote: Anyhow, anyone know where exactly the background for the ice castle is from? I know that the foreground is from Chill Penguin's stage, but I'm not sure where exactly the background is from.
The BG in that level is from Crystal Snail's stage (see here and here). On the other hand, the FG from Crystal Snail was used for most of the levels in Crystal World, but combined with a solid black background.

Re: Brutal Mario, the last time I last played it was in 2009, and I have no idea what version it was (I honestly lost track of all the different versions), and I only recall a couple of the custom bosses. I remember nothing specifically about the overall level design, but I do know that the levels showcased a lot of custom ASM too. Hopefully a playthrough of this happens some time in the future, it seems noteworthy and important enough to be played for archival purposes (whatever the criteria for this is).
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years ago Even though these pipes are referred to as the "SMB3 screen scrolling pipes", they appear to scroll way faster than the ones in SMB3 (I'm catching up on the ascetic run, and I happened to watch the Pipe World stages recently). Though it might be an illusion due to Mario entering and emerging from the pipes a lot slower in SMB3. Curious to know what happens if the time runs out while you're inside the scrolling pipes, since it doesn't pause as you're travelling through them. I assume you just get kicked out of the pipe where you are and the death animation plays. We came close to finding out in the video.
Yes, they definitely scroll faster than in SMB3. WAY faster. Even ignoring the entrance/exit parts, actually traversing the pipes is somewhat slow in SMB3, especially compared to this where you zip around everywhere and don't get much of a chance to see what's around you.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: Super Karoshi Guy World: The Legend Continues

Post by Kilgamayan »

I am always disappointed when SMB3-Aircraft-With-Burner-Propulsion levels play the burner propulsion gimmick completely straight, instead of setting up the player's directional expectations and then having one small platform near the end where the burner burns toward the player instead of away from them.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago I am always disappointed when SMB3-Aircraft-With-Burner-Propulsion levels play the burner propulsion gimmick completely straight, instead of setting up the player's directional expectations and then having one small platform near the end where the burner burns toward the player instead of away from them.
I know, right!? All through that level I keep expecting one of the burners to suddenly ignite toward the player, as a trap, but it never happened... It almost NEVER happens in hacks! :(
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

Oddly enough, the foreground doesn't use Flame Stag's foreground (which is a little darker) ... it uses Neon Tiger's foreground (I had assumed it was Flame Stag or Armored Armadillo) ... which seems kinda interesting that a jungle foreground could be used for some volcanic-like levels. However,

the background is used for a few of the Big Boo world levels

. I was always a little surprised they saved the Red Switch Palace for Bowser's World though. One thing I kinda wish FuSoYa did was actually name any particular level that was an airship, like name one in the Sky World "Sky Airships" and Bowser's one "Bowser's Airship Fleet" or something like that.

"That's embarrassing"
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years ago Hopefully a playthrough of this happens some time in the future, it seems noteworthy and important enough to be played for archival purposes (whatever the criteria for this is).
raocow actually rejected it in the past due to bad level design and being overplayed but honestly there might be an All the Brutal Mario Demos if THFTT get through with it.

mfw when fusoya's responsible for bad exanimation burners and me and that one 2ch anon that did air ship in vip5 are going to bring forward a future of high quality burners thanks to the one i shat out like this march (not a serious fusoya shittalk pls do not take this seriously)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

The burners are more realistic because you can burn yourself in the heat directly above a flame

There I fixed it
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

there's such a simple solution for the muncher/burner problem, just make them not hurt mario until they're fully extended
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

TiKi wrote: 3 years ago there's such a simple solution for the muncher/burner problem, just make them not hurt mario until they're fully extended
thats what i did

i also shrunk the hitbox
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
SpoonyBardOL

Post by SpoonyBardOL »

I think that lava cave background is from Tunnel Rhino's stage in MMX3, but with the water colored red.
blue_kirby
Wrong lever!!!

Post by blue_kirby »

I kinda liked the Yoshi's Island aesthetic of Reznor's Tower (and Larry's Pipe Castle) tbh

Oh boy Bowser's Castle is gonna be fun.

It took me a good while to beat it to where I found the "Big Boo" and Star Road exits before the actual Bowser battle, which I just went to the Back Room for

"That's embarrassing"
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Re: Super Marisa World: The Legend Continues

Post by PSI Ninja »

Bowser's World 2: So what was up with all the slowdown in this level? There didn't seem to be that many enemies in the skull raft part, at most like, two Blarggs and one Paratroopa at a time (4:10-5:45 in the video). I don't hack SMW so I'm not sure what's going on here on a technical level.

Reznor's Fortress: I really love all the layers of battlements in the first part of this level, it looks great. Also, there are a lot of right-facing, one-tile high nooks where you can jam yourself in as Big Mario and get crushed. You see this all throughout the hack, not just in this level. Of course, you would have to go out of your way to die to something like that. I don't think the original SMW had any one-tile high nooks in its levels, so I guess Nintendo had already been aware of this kind of situation.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Re: Super RunMan World: The Legend Continues

Post by Sugar »

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

xfix wrote: 3 years ago https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... lrooms.png

3MB map of Bowser's Castle...

help
In the section with the "always on" flames, can you facetank through them taking a hit? Or do they actually block progress like walls? (I ask because what seems to be the fastest path back to Bowser would facetank through one of those.)

I'm also curious what happens from hitting the ON switches in that section. Does it just turn all the flames off, or does it *toggle* flames (such that "on" burners go off, but "off" burners in that area then go on)?
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

Hot take: the original Bowser boss is better than The Second Reality Project Reloaded's replacement of him (aka Mouser. What even...?)
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

xfix wrote: 3 years ago https://cdn.discordapp.com/attachments/ ... lrooms.png

3MB map of Bowser's Castle...

help
MY BRAINNNN

I HAAAAAAAAAAAAAATE this level >:V This kind of thing is WHY!
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

It's not even the raw level size that's intimidating, it's that big mess of door connections. And I guess the fact that so much of it looks the same doesn't help.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

My praise of this level is that it could have been so much worse. Despite its sameyness, it wasn't that bad to remember layouts and notice when something was new.

It was bad, but its badness could have been badder.
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

AUS wrote: 3 years ago My praise of this level is that it could have been so much worse. Despite its sameyness, it wasn't that bad to remember layouts and notice when something was new.

It was bad, but its badness could have been badder.
textbook "damning with"
AUS
Toni#4796

Re: Super Daddy Brain World: The Legend Continues

Post by AUS »

oh boy, i sure am ready for another few levels where the secret exit is just get to the end of the level and go a bit further or get to the end of the level and divert slightly wow!

also for the guy who invented lunar magic, he sure doesn't know about the basic lunar magic feature of turning on a no yoshi filter
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

AUS wrote: 3 years ago also for the guy who invented lunar magic, he sure doesn't know about the basic lunar magic feature of turning on a no yoshi filter
Counterpoint: Creative Yoshi filters* are a lot more fun than the No Yoshis sign

In fact I'd love to see a Yoshi Filter Design Contest just to see how creative and hilarious people can get in forcing Mario off his trusty steed

*The filter in this particular level was not terribly creative, admittedly
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years agoIn fact I'd love to see a Yoshi Filter Design Contest just to see how creative and hilarious people can get in forcing Mario off his trusty steed
okay yes please
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago Counterpoint: Creative Yoshi filters* are a lot more fun than the No Yoshis sign

In fact I'd love to see a Yoshi Filter Design Contest just to see how creative and hilarious people can get in forcing Mario off his trusty steed

*The filter in this particular level was not terribly creative, admittedly
That'd be cool, honestly. I could see someone using it with conveyors where you have to ditch your horse down a pit, but the bottom of the pit has a conveyor (or the overused 1F0, so Mario can't just dive down there as well) that brings your horse safely to the end of the level for you. You complete the level, there's your horse! Timed well so that not only do you reach the end after Yoshi does, but once you get there you have no choice but to land back on Yoshi and bring him home with you! ...unless you ditch him again, you MONSTER.
Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.