(shouting)

Super Demo World: The Legend Continues

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Super Demo World: The Legend Continues

Post by Sugar »

Super Demo World: The Legend Continues is one of the oldest ROM hacks created by Lunar Magic (Super Mario World level editor) creator (FuSoYa) and his brother (Zero-G), released September 21, 2003. Back in a day it was considered an excellent hack showcasing what could be done with Super Mario World - it had custom graphics, custom blocks (including SMB3 scrolling pipes), tile and palette animations, and a completely new overworld. It was also a really big project with 120 exits. It influenced a lot of ROM hacks, including VIP series.

Today, this hack has aged really badly. It was created back when everybody was using savestates, and some level design decisions are... questionable to say the least. Nevertheless, it's important historically, which is why raocow is playing it now, now that A-side is coming teo an end.

Super Demo World - 1 - oliver buys a farm
- MISTY ISLE 1
- MISTY ISLE 2
- MISTY ISLE 3
- MISTY ISLE 4
- MISTY ISLE SECRET
- #1 MISTY CASTLE

Super Demo World - 2 - the city of arkadia
- #1 MISTY CASTLE
- MISTY STAR WORLD
- SALTY ISLE

Super Demo World - 3 - getting the bugs out
- DESERT WORLD 1
- DESERT WORLD 2
- DESERT SECRET
- DESERT WORLD 3
- DESERT WORLD 4

Super Demo World - 4 - children of the gods
- DESERT PYRAMID
- YELLOW SWITCH PALACE

Super Demo World - 5 - dune
- #2 DESERT CASTLE
- DESERT STAR WORLD

Super Demo World - 6 - whale of a tale
- WATER WORLD 1
- WATER WORLD 2
- WATER WORLD 3
- WATER WORLD 4
- WATER SECRET

Super Demo World - 7 - andy's pilot
- SHIP GRAVEYARD
- #3 WATER CASTLE
- WATER STAR WORLD

Super Demo World - 8 - beginnings
- CRYSTAL CAVERN 1
- CRYSTAL SECRET
- VACANT GHOST HOUSE
- CRYSTAL CAVERN 2
- CRYSTAL CAVERN 3

Super Demo World - 9 - adios zz
- CRYSTAL CAVERN 4
- CRYSTAL CAVERN 5
- #4 CRYSTAL CASTLE

Super Demo World - 10 - plunder & lightning
- CRYSTAL STAR WORLD
- SKY WORLD 1
- SKY WORLD 2
- SKY SECRET

Super Demo World - 11 - land without feelings
- SKY WORLD 3
- SKY WORLD 4
- SKY WORLD 5
- SKY WORLD 6
- GREEN SWITCH PALACE

Super Demo World - 12 - winter is coming
- #5 SKY CASTLE
- SKY STAR WORLD
- ICE WORLD 1

Super Demo World - 13 - blue prints
- ICE WORLD 2
- BLUE SWITCH PALACE
- ICE WORLD 3
- ICE WORLD 4

Super Demo World - 14 - the boy in the iceberg
- ICE WORLD 5
- ICE WORLD IGLOO
- ICE SECRET

Super Demo World - 15 - final exam
- #6 ICE CASTLE
- ICE STAR WORLD
- PIPE WORLD 1

Super Demo World - 16 - neatness counts
- PIPE WORLD 2
- PIPE FORTRESS
- PIPE WORLD 3
- PIPE WORLD 4

Super Demo World - 17 - turtle tracks
- PIPE WORLD 5
- PIPE WORLD SECRET
- #7 PIPE CASTLE
- PIPE STAR WORLD

Super Demo World - 18 - behold, the beast
- BOWSER'S WORLD 1
- BOWSER'S WORLD 2
- RED SWITCH PALACE
- BOWSER'S WORLD 3

Super Demo World - 19 - witchbottle
- REZNOR'S FORTRESS
- BOWSER'S SECRET

Super Demo World - 20 - critter sitters
- #8 BOWSER'S CASTLE

Super Demo World - 21 - the end
- BOWSER'S STAR WORLD
- BACKDOOR STAR WORLD

Super Demo World - 22 - the taking of the shrew
- SECRET STAR WORLD
- STAR SECRET
- ...?

Super Demo World - 23 - ghosts r us
- BIG BOO'S STAR ROAD
- BIG BOO WORLD 1
- BIG BOO WORLD 2

Super Demo World - 24 - the maltese monkey
- BIG BOO WORLD 3
- BIG BOO WORLD 4

Super Demo World - 25 - darkness at noon, part 1
- BIG BOO WORLD 5
- BIG BOO WORLD 6

Super Demo World - end of demo - 26 - i'll be a son of a ghostbuster
- #9 BIG BOO'S TOWER
- BIG BOO'S SECRET!
- BOWSER'S BACK DOOR

Super Demo World - supplement - 26.5 - fire sale
- BIG BOO'S SECRET! [extra easter egg]
Last edited by Sugar 3 years ago, edited 67 times in total.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Re: Super Demo World: The Legend Continues

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Yeah, up to this point the game isn't bad-bad, just unremarkable by today's standards. It's certainly still playable all the way through, but it sure gets worse. I'm honestly looking forward to seeing raocow's comments on some of the weirder design choices later on.

As for the Misty Castle secret exit,

use a cape.

AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

i mean im already way more into this than i was than yoshi's archipelago
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

This has been on my "I'd like to see raocow LP this" list for a long time, so I'm actually kinda hype for this.

Shoutout to Vegastar's LP way back in 2007, which IIRC was a partial inspiration for raocow to start LPing SMW hacks in the first place. Unfortunately it seems to have been lost to the sands of time after Google Video shut down and it seems like no one re-uploaded it anywhere.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

I can't believe you put that disclaimer in the OP so now I can't make a demo joke. That's the only reason i opened this thread. You have soiled ALL of my fun forever and I hope a turnip is throwbn at your head

Anyway this is gonna be... interesting to watch to see what people decided was "okay" back in the day
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I think this is more interesting than people give it credit for, though it was also the first hack I myself played. (But I couldn't get past world 2. And I didn't know about save states.)

Stuff like the brick blocks, going behind the world, and putting enemies in your reserve slot are pretty advanced elements for the first hack ever.

EDIT: Also, raocow, watch the title screen movie play out to see something cool.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

I'd link to Tanto's excellent screenshot LP of this, but Talking Time's went to a new forum and the archives of the old one aren't public yet.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Blivsey wrote: 3 years ago I can't believe you put that disclaimer in the OP so now I can't make a demo joke. That's the only reason i opened this thread. You have soiled ALL of my fun forever and I hope a turnip is throwbn at your head

Anyway this is gonna be... interesting to watch to see what people decided was "okay" back in the day
Yeah, fair enough, removed the disclaimer. It may be actually more interesting to consider this to be a canon ASMT game.
Leet wrote: 3 years ago Stuff like the brick blocks, going behind the world, and putting enemies in your reserve slot are pretty advanced elements for the first hack ever.
Definitely. FuSoYa pretty much coded the entire custom blocks thing.

Somebody experienced with SMW ROM hacking may claim that Lunar Magic cannot insert custom blocks, which is very much true. However, all blocktools use code to support custom blocks provided by Lunar Magic, all that Lunar Magic is missing is a way to actually custom blocks.

As for putting enemies in reserve slot, this is also non-trivial. Sure, it's a matter of writing a value to $0DC2, however the item box in vanilla Super Mario World is not coded to support items other than mushroom, flower, cape or star (star is unused), and will render glitched graphics for other items. FuSoYa changed the code to render graphics properly for item box.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I don't know if I've ever played this before but I'm pretty impressed by what they pulled off given it's the first kinda big full rom hack. I assumed it'd be mostly vanilla but there's some real advanced technology being used
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Is Super Demo World really the first full SMW hack though? I think the original TSRP is older, but it was vanilla and didn't have a custom overworld. So Super Demo World might be the oldest full-sized chocolate hack ever released.

Anyway, this was one of the first SMW hacks I remember playing, along with other random hacks I found on the old Acmlm board like Dr. Mario World and SMW: Symphony of the Night. I forgot almost everything about this hack, so I'm looking forward to seeing some old school level design again.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years agoSMW: Symphony of the Night
This exists???
alexandrite

Post by alexandrite »

for some reason this lp makes me want to see raocow replay super challenge world again
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Re: Super Stuffed Animal World: The Legend Continues

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

As we first experience in this episode, the Richard Displacement is the true essence of Super Demo World: The Legend Continues and its design decisions. Later stages will offer assorted delightful variations on this theme. You may call it "impish" should the patina of history compel you to approach the past with a dignity not usually afforded to the present.
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

Man, I'm hoping we'll get DK64 before the year is up
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
Nimono

Post by Nimono »

Misty Star World is one of a handful of reasons I

REEEEEEEEEEEEEEALLY

Do not like Super Demo World. It's...it's just so FRUSTRATING, and there's a few other levels in that area that are frustrating, too. Just...spectacularly bad design. I don't like it! I didn't like it then, I don't like it now!

but it had some other interesting stuff, too!!
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

alexandrite wrote: 3 years ago for some reason this lp makes me want to see raocow replay super challenge world again
You could just watch it again, it would have the same effect
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

hey there everyone this is 'aogow, playing mario x world 1st
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

I never actually found the star world when I played (though I haven't played it all anyways. I want to say I quit somewhere in world 3 or so after having trouble figuring out what to do to advance) but today's level was so bad that I remember it from whichever lp I watched of the hack. It is really not a good level.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Misty Star World suffered because it's impossible to anticipate when and where you would need to use certain powerups and items. Not only that, it's a LONG autoscrolling level. It looks like levels that feature the powerup swapping gimmick may trace their inspiration all the way back to this one, though I imagined the swapping would get more hectic.
TiKi wrote:
This exists???
I did some searching, and I couldn't find it in SMW Central's database. All of the links to it on Acmlm are dead, and it wasn't even archived in the Wayback Machine. So I went through my own backups just now and it turns out I still have it! No .ips though. I loaded up my save file from 2005 and took some screenshots for the heck of it. And no, it's not as good as the title suggests. For example, it has 1-1 remakes for both SMB1 and SMB3.

https://imgur.com/a/KnTBLOO

A bit sad that some of the older stuff have become lost works.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years ago Misty Star World suffered because it's impossible to anticipate when and where you would need to use certain powerups and items. Not only that, it's a LONG autoscrolling level. It looks like levels that feature the powerup swapping gimmick may trace their inspiration all the way back to this one, though I imagined the swapping would get more hectic.
TiKi wrote:
This exists???
I did some searching, and I couldn't find it in SMW Central's database. All of the links to it on Acmlm are dead, and it wasn't even archived in the Wayback Machine. So I went through my own backups just now and it turns out I still have it! No .ips though. I loaded up my save file from 2005 and took some screenshots for the heck of it. And no, it's not as good as the title suggests. For example, it has 1-1 remakes for both SMB1 and SMB3.

https://imgur.com/a/KnTBLOO

A bit sad that some of the older stuff have become lost works.
I believe it's on smwdb.me if anyone wants to download it for whatever reason.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

hello everyone this is my new hack super mario world episode 2 jenseits von gut und böse *vanilla hack with like 5 1-1 remakes and unchanged overworld*
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Truhan
Lord of the Waifus
Pronouns: Waifulord

Re: Super Jowey World: The Legend Continues

Post by Truhan »

It doesn't feel right for raocow to play a hack called demo world without demo, so I, with no experience whatsoever in romhacking, tried to figure out if I could do a pallette swap. Needlessly said, I couldn't figure out how to do it. "there was an attempt" -me, 2020
Girls are a hoax created by the Japanese anime industry to scam otaku out of their money.
Donut

Post by Donut »

At the very least, it's pretty interesting from an academic standpoint to see these ideas presented as new, fun, and exciting. But three episodes in this is my general reaction to the level design:

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

The secret exit in desert 2 was the most mysterious thing EVER to me as a child. Also I don't think I ever made it past desert 4 because it's nonsense.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ayami

Post by Ayami »

this LP was unexpected, let's see how it goes, this is still an interesting romhack after all (at least for me)