(shouting)

Advent Christmas 2020: Digital Edition!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Advent Christmas 2020: Digital Edition!

Post by Voltgloss »

I will plan to check it out. Thank you sir.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Hey, if anyone here wants to send something, but was late sending something and doesn't want to send it through susie, please give us a heads up before the 20th.

We have to send one more thing on the 20th, and preferably we don't want to have to send more updates after that.

EDIT: also, since raocow didn't show it: https://youtu.be/UazTsrtbfJY?t=780
Last edited by SAJewers 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

hooray!
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

Just a heads up, the window size for my gift on the 18th is 630x480

Also, there are 3 optional hearts, but one of them is tricky!
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

ahhmygosh⚟*shout lines lol*the goat level reminds me how much i love rewatching the 〝escape goat 🞤 escape goat 2〞 series*・゚✧ perhaps ill go watch those now☆*

oh i got permission to post the fanart here! just in case peeps wanna see them in full quality! soo here they are!!

ImageImage
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

SAJewers wrote: 3 years ago because raocow didn't show the source of the calendar music

https://tcrf.net/BS-X_Magazines#Do-Re-Mi_de_Faa_2.7E.21
Oh, that reminds me: At one point when creating the list of calendar music, I had this on the list:

Unfortunately, the quality of the video wasn't great and I couldn't find a copy of the file used in the video, so I replaced it with that song
Peliptia wrote: ahhmygosh⚟*shout lines lol*the goat level reminds me how much i love rewatching the 〝escape goat 🞤 escape goat 2〞 series*・゚✧ perhaps ill go watch those now☆*
I ended up rewatching the ASMBXT and A2XT LPs and a bit of the STTB1 LP while working on this. Rewatches can be fun. :rao:
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

MattMakesGames reference count: 2

pretty weird the developer brand name was "MattMakesGames" even tho the lead dev is named Maddy
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

For anyone who wants to play it:

An Untitled Christmas Demo has been unlocked! (for Windows only)

You can also get the Source Code.

Man, I regret not hiding hearts in those walls raocow checked. This is indeed a modification of the original An Untitled Story, which is open source. The cutscene with the owl was great, thanks again to all the folks who put this whole thing together!

EDIT:
Cyril wrote: 3 years agopretty weird the developer brand name was "MattMakesGames" even tho the lead dev is named Maddy
Since the game's release, Maddy came out as non-binary and they now go by that name. I did think a bit about whether I should put the current name in the credits or the name they used at the time, but I figure, in the end, "Matt" is simply outdated.
Last edited by Petzi 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Petzi wrote: 3 years ago For anyone who wants to play it:

An Untitled Christmas Demo has been unlocked! (for Windows only)

You can also get the Source Code.

Man, I regret not hiding hearts in those walls raocow checked. This is indeed a modification of the original An Untitled Story, which is open source. The cutscene with the owl was great, thanks again to all the folks who put this whole thing together!
Shouldn't it be A Technically Titled Calleoca Story Thing, or something like that?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

Petzi wrote: 3 years ago EDIT:
Cyril wrote: 3 years agopretty weird the developer brand name was "MattMakesGames" even tho the lead dev is named Maddy
Since the game's release, Maddy came out as non-binary and they now go by that name. I did think a bit about whether I should put the current name in the credits or the name they used at the time, but I figure, in the end, "Matt" is simply outdated.
no i'm totally aware of this that was the joke :B
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

Grounder wrote: 3 years ago Shouldn't it be A Technically Titled Calleoca Story Thing, or something like that?
Gonna be honest, the only main "talkhaus" series I watched were ASMT and A2MT, so I'm way out of date with all the characters and lore. I'm mostly just familiar with Demo, so I drew a Demo sprite ^.^'

I'll let you in on a secret:
I hadn't even seen the cutscene with the owl up until now. I decided on my own to have Demo as the player character in a shameful and reckless disregard for continuity, but the powers above were kind enough to figure it all out and make that whole cutscene. Thanks again, I'm amazed how you made it fit! I really got a kick out of the background ahahah
Cyril wrote: 3 years ago no i'm totally aware of this that was the joke :B
Ooooh sorry, I thought your confusion was genuine ^.^' When I found out, I was pretty surprised that I hadn't heard about it yet. I should really make more of an effort to keep up with the news, I haven't even played Celeste or TowerFall yet.
Rixithechao
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BODxOghVmko
First name: Mack
https://rixithechao.talkhaus.com/

Post by Rixithechao »

Yep, Demo was the one who went up the mountain. She just found a Santa suit of her own at some point offscreen. We'll see what Calleoca's doing in the meantime soon enough ;)
Petzi wrote: Gonna be honest, the only main "talkhaus" series I watched were ASMT and A2MT, so I'm way out of date with all the characters and lore. I'm mostly just familiar with Demo, so I drew a Demo sprite ^.^'

I'll let you in on a secret:
I hadn't even seen the cutscene with the owl up until now. I decided on my own to have Demo as the player character in a shameful and reckless disregard for continuity, but the powers above were kind enough to figure it all out and make that whole cutscene. Thanks again, I'm amazed how you made it fit! I really got a kick out of the background ahahah
Honestly, the switches to Demo in both your submission and Demo Takes the Stairs make for a nice change of pace. And while they did introduce some wrinkles for us to work around, the end result is all the more interesting for it.
Delightful Adventure Enhanced is out now!

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Aww that was a cool little game. It was pretty cool to see and it was neat thing to play too, even if it's been years and years since I watched the AUS LP (and I've never played AUS either.)
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

SAJewers wrote: 3 years ago I ended up rewatching the ASMBXT and A2XT LPs and a bit of the STTB1 LP while working on this. Rewatches can be fun. :rao:
ahh heck yea✧゚ i do like an sorta·annual【ASMT】🙴【AUS】watchthroughs〜 some time im gonna set aside times and go through asmbxt again⚊the memories:・゚♡

and omgomgomg the aus recreation/modification(⁇ which is it im not sure⁇) is so so heart·warming to see (^‿^ ) the amount of love and nostalgia i have for that series and that game is just ⚞agghicantexplainit⚟
ImageImage
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

for no particular reason, im going to say that i named myself AUS after the game when i was like 12, raocow's let's play happened like a year later

but yes i very appreciated that

edit: btw my take on celeste is that it is so stinking good that it kind of makes an untitled story look like trash

i still love it tho
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

Dangit, y'all are making me want to rewatch AUS too! But as it is I've been working through the LM2 LP at the pace of like, a third of a video every 1-2 days lately
:aliceko:

And this is something completely off-topic that I didn't bring up when it was relevant, but I was reminded of it just now and wanted to get it out of the way before tonight's video: The music I originally had planned for the Pandamona midboss was this powerful mashup.

I ended up going with the 8-bit remix of Baka Mitai partly because a chiptune sound felt like it fit the whole Nyan Catllama part of the fight more, but honestly I just had the in-game music volume turned all the way down and had Baka Halation playing on repeat for the bulk of the time I spent working on the fight. Then when SAJewers was looking into adding and substituting some hub tracks I shared the mashup and we quickly noticed that, despite the different vocals, it still got flagged as Snow Halation by youtube.

So, uh, long story short, that's why we ended up using that one instrumental metal cover of SH for... I don't remember which day it was. But yeah.

And then, on the day the Voxatron guy delivery scene was made, ProZD put up a video of Snow Halation sung in his Goofy voice. And, at least for that first day, it somehow completely avoided getting marked by contentID.

There's an official ASMT Discord server! Check it out to discuss Demo games and follow their development! thread, invite link

(Entry requires verification, either with a connected Youtube/Twitter/Twitch/etc account or manually by the server staff.)

Itch.io (albums and eventually games), Youtube (dofur pass and I guess other videos)
AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

ironically i've never even watched the aus lp. i'm too afraid of all the backseat gaming that i know raocow was getting upset about at the time.

EDIT: wait this is false, i distinctly remember him winning the game on Difficult which was notable because I could 100% up to the boss but could never win on Difficult. forget i said anything
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
Crow

Post by Crow »

rabi ribi 2 looking great so far
SAJewers

Post by SAJewers »

that happened

merry touhou christmas
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Rixithechao

Post by Rixithechao »

I never did get past the Squish part legit and I figured it was just me being bad at video games, especially since the rest of the team didn't seem to have much trouble with this boss. So it was honestly a bit validating to see you got overwhelmed by that phase too, rao.

STILL! This whole boss was pure, distilled, concentrated, pasteurized, partially-hydrogenated, conjugated, abjugated, concatenated, underlined in orange with a bevel, two drop shadows and five strokes amazing! The ATXS tie-ins, the flashy and creative patterns, the generous checkpointing and hitboxes, the details like Alice tossing the dolls in the background and the points/powerup burst effect, the lighting timed with the music... it's a technically impressive, wonderfully-designed fight and just a complete spectacle through and through. You did an excellent job, Whim!

Of course, it's not over yet. This was the perfect start to the last week of this thing, but it's still the start of the final week. We've got a handful of gifts coming and another five straight days of levels before the finale, so y'all better buckle up because this ride isn't slowing down!

AUS
Toni#4796

Post by AUS »

Rixithechao wrote: 3 years agoy'all better buckle up because this ride isn't slowing down!
proud my thing got onto the tree :cry:
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

We now emerge into world 3 of the advent, the final world
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
WinterSweater

Post by WinterSweater »

I love the fusion attacks on the final phase of the fight.
King of GETs

Post by King of GETs »

The reference to Mystic Square's Extra Boss with Incinerating Tear Dolls was a nice touch. It doesn't look like the fire is even using preset graphics at all and is instead being generated completed by code using tons of random variables contained within a pattern. If SMBX can actually do something like that now, the 2D graphical possibilities are virtually endless.

By the way, if WhimWidget is reading this thread, how long did it take you to make it all?