(shouting)

mario 3 ascetic.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: mario 3

Post by ano0maly »

hey no two threads in a row :science:
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

the realmulario starts 3
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago hey no two threads in a row :science:
is this a rule?

if that makes it somewhat different, i didn't plan to make yoshi's archipelago thread, but well, nobody made it after the lp has actually started. meanwhile, with this, i provided the rom to raocow, so i think it's fair for me to make a thread.

anyway, mario 3 ascetic, this will be interesting i feel like. if anyone wants to play along, feel free to check out https://bin.smwcentral.net/u/9410/mario3ascetic.bps (patch applies to US release of super mario all-stars, not + world or nintendo switch online release). hold l or r to remove ascetic mechanic.
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

xfix wrote: 3 years ago is this a rule?
this is just goofs, whoever want to run the thread should do it (even if it's led to clashes sometimes, see the start of the Rose in the Twilight thread)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: mario 3 ascetic. nintendo logo.

Post by raocow »

didn't realise I hadn't playlisted ascetic mario world so I went ahead and did that
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

yellow hurts

you can all go home now
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Finally abandoning Suika for the superior oni Kasen, I see
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
helucard

Post by helucard »

... Oh this is interesting! Can't wait to see where this series goes!
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

not communist mario 3? shame
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

TiKi wrote: 3 years ago not communist mario 3? shame
To quote raocow: "thing I don't want a whole graphical treatment, I want it to look.. like mario 3"
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: mario 3 ascetic. slope.

Post by Falky »

Just noticed that Peach's letter uses a lower case T in "toadstool". Odd.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I remember that exact spot in 1-4 from Particular Mushroom's DKC2 Minimum Banana Challenge video that Grounder linked to a few months ago - during the introduction, where he talked about the Mario no-coin challenge.

What I appreciated about that video was that it wasn't a binary "Can you beat the entire game of X without Y" that has been trending on videos (and some of these videos just end once they find out the answer is no). Instead, it gives each level its own honest attempt, and rather than a yes-or-no question it tries to minimize the banana count, having different tiers of objectives to facilitate that. It aims to discover how low you can go with the count and not throw out the whole thing if your score isn't perfect. And that seems to be the better mindset with a Mario 3 run like this.

I remember during SMW ascetic run that there was unusual amount of tools usage; ultimately it felt like the playthrough wasn't primarily about the challenge being done in a legit way, but simply about discovering the interesting tricks.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

ano0maly wrote: 3 years ago I remember that exact spot in 1-4 from Particular Mushroom's DKC2 Minimum Banana Challenge video that Grounder linked to a few months ago - during the introduction, where he talked about the Mario no-coin challenge.

What I appreciated about that video was that it wasn't a binary "Can you beat the entire game of X without Y" that has been trending on videos (and some of these videos just end once they find out the answer is no). Instead, it gives each level its own honest attempt, and rather than a yes-or-no question it tries to minimize the banana count, having different tiers of objectives to facilitate that. It aims to discover how low you can go with the count and not throw out the whole thing if your score isn't perfect. And that seems to be the better mindset with a Mario 3 run like this.

I remember during SMW ascetic run that there was unusual amount of tools usage; ultimately it felt like the playthrough wasn't primarily about the challenge being done in a legit way, but simply about discovering the interesting tricks.
that reminds me, i watched a video about "new super mario bros. no touching a brick challenge", and since i love that game it was especially great. the worst part?

you're forced to touch a brick in the last level since it contains a level-flipping switch

Sugar

Re: mario 3 ascetic. pyramid.

Post by Sugar »

The reason why raocow died by getting points in a Hammer Bros fight is that the star music was playing, and my code was specifically checking for Hammer Bros fight music. I forgot you can use a star from an inventory.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

That is wonderful. Thank you for doing things that way so we got that moment.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

Those letters from Peach at the end of each world are just confusing in general. Why does she call the attached items "jewels?" I remember the first time reading that she gave me a jewel to protect me I assume it was like a shield or something.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Post by Kleetus »

I played a fair bit of the GBA remake of SMB3 as a kid, and raocow mentioning the 2-2 secret is the first time I've heard of the white toad houses, which shows how much I really know about SMB3.

Out of the five 2D mario platformers with the koopalings as bosses, Morton is the world 2 boss in three of them.
I've noticed that while the New Super Mario Bros games all repeat world themes a lot, world 2 is always the desert world.
Come to think of it SMB2 had world 2 be a desert as well.
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Kleetus wrote: 3 years ago I played a fair bit of the GBA remake of SMB3 as a kid, and raocow mentioning the 2-2 secret is the first time I've heard of the white toad houses, which shows how much I really know about SMB3.
Curiously, in GBA remake of SMB3 once you beat all levels in the game and revisit a level that can spawn White Mushroom House (1-4, 2-2, 3-8, 4-2, 5-5, 6-7, 7-2) a Mushroom Coin appears at the beginning of a stage and when hit informs you many coins you have to get to spawn White Mushroom House. Note that while I called a house white, they are actually blue (not white) in SMAS and SMA4.
helucard

Post by helucard »

xfix wrote: 3 years ago The reason why raocow died by getting points in a Hammer Bros fight is that the star music was playing, and my code was specifically checking for Hammer Bros fight music. I forgot you can use a star from an inventory.
That's hilarious, I love it. To be fair, having the music be the thing that's being checked makes some amount of sense since the hammer bro theme doesn't often play except in situations like this. I assume you can't just search for some background thing like whatever handler makes the chest appear? I'm not familiar with any of how this game is made so I wouldn't know how that works.

Theoretically though, does that mean that if the hammer brothers theme plays, you're given full permission to wreck everything ever?
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

helucard wrote: 3 years ago
xfix wrote: 3 years ago The reason why raocow died by getting points in a Hammer Bros fight is that the star music was playing, and my code was specifically checking for Hammer Bros fight music. I forgot you can use a star from an inventory.
That's hilarious, I love it. To be fair, having the music be the thing that's being checked makes some amount of sense since the hammer bro theme doesn't often play except in situations like this. I assume you can't just search for some background thing like whatever handler makes the chest appear? I'm not familiar with any of how this game is made so I wouldn't know how that works.

Theoretically though, does that mean that if the hammer brothers theme plays, you're given full permission to wreck everything ever?
Yeah. I mean, I think that's fine, the main point of the system is to make it clear when rules get accidentally violated, avoiding a situation where raocow beat the level without noticing that a random thing somewhere within a level gave 50 points.

As for internal workings of this game, I don't hack SMB3 myself, honestly I did the first thing that worked. I probably could check whether a chest is somewhere on a sprite list, but at this point I don't know if I want to do a lot of research to figure where the sprite slots are in the memory. There is a very little research about Super Mario All-Stars, for example SMW Central does have a RAM map for SMAS, but it doesn't have much: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=memorymap ... region=ram. Frankly, I probably would have been better of picking NES version of SMB3, but I did a lot of stuff with Super Mario World which is a SNES game, and due to that had more experience working with SNES, so here we are.
cheez8
Food Nut

Post by cheez8 »

Having watched the first episode I was hit with a major feeling of deja vu, thank you SAJewers for confirming that I had indeed seen a small part of this back during ASMBXT

The SMW ascetic run was super fascinating and entertaining, and this one is great so far too! Never played SMB3, and I'm already learning so much. What a weird, fun game.
I don't really get it but okay
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

xfix wrote: 3 years ago
helucard wrote: 3 years ago
xfix wrote: 3 years agoThe reason why raocow died by getting points in a Hammer Bros fight is that the star music was playing, and my code was specifically checking for Hammer Bros fight music. I forgot you can use a star from an inventory.

Yeah. I mean, I think that's fine, the main point of the system is to make it clear when rules get accidentally violated, avoiding a situation where raocow beat the level without noticing that a random thing somewhere within a level gave 50 points.

As for internal workings of this game, I don't hack SMB3 myself, honestly I did the first thing that worked. I probably could check whether a chest is somewhere on a sprite list, but at this point I don't know if I want to do a lot of research to figure where the sprite slots are in the memory. There is a very little research about Super Mario All-Stars, for example SMW Central does have a RAM map for SMAS, but it doesn't have much: https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=memorymap ... region=ram. Frankly, I probably would have been better of picking NES version of SMB3, but I did a lot of stuff with Super Mario World which is a SNES game, and due to that had more experience working with SNES, so here we are.
I wonder how difficult it would be to figure out where in RAM they store information on what level and screen of that level you're on? If that isn't an insurmountable task, it might be good to get a list of places points should be allowed and treat things normally only on those screens.