(shouting)

La-Mulana 2 - fish. it is a fish. it's true.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: La-Mulana 2 - full aggro, that is the raocow way

Post by Draexzhan »

You know, I take back what I said at the beginning of this thread about Hard Mode. I expected this game's hard mode to be about the same increase in difficulty as La Mulana 1's, but it actually seems to be more than double. This game is pretty rough in normal mode, but aside from Unicorn, there was no part where I actually felt like the game was outright cheap or unfun. I don't feel that fondly about Hard Mode based on what I'm watching, here.

Anyways, I had like four days of catch-up to make. Great job with Brahma. That's a very satisfying puzzle to solve, and the fact that it isn't a one-time thing makes it so much more bearable than the scale puzzle in the first game. I look forward to Hall of Malice. Death Gene may be my favorite track in the game. It sounds like something right out of an intense sport game, and given the deathmatch nature of the Hall of Malice, that's very fitting. It also starts with such a great "kick", which goes great with the background crumbling away to that death vortex. Very similar a "whoa" experience to clearing the fog in Eden.

Also, gonna spoiler this just in case, but knowing it now won't actually ruin anything since it's all in the past, it's in regards to getting the gauntlet:
There is a fair hint about the gauntlet in the game, but you haven't seen it yet, and at this point I don't think you ever will, because I don't think it's obtainable if you already have the gauntlet.
Signature text.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

I think the Katana might have been a better weapon against fenrir because its swing arc probably could've hit the head in the mouth from a standing position. Congrats on stumbling across the Gauntlet though, I wasn't sure if you'd ever find it given that it's really hidden in this game.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

helucard wrote: 3 years agoThat said, I'm glad you managed to beat Fenrir in one sitting, I most certainly did not. That was my *most hated sub-boss* in this game, bar none. It is just... Not fun to fight. I'd usually have positive things to say about how a thing is developed, but I can't think of a single thing. The best I can say is "I'm glad it's not as bad as it Was." - This is after having been nerfed. Standing inside the open jaw hurt you originally. Can you imagine jumping in, smacking it mid-hop, and then double jumping back out between rotations while trying to avoid hitting the top jaw and the projectile? With this game's jump physics? That must've been hell for the early players. I do not envy them. That was an objectively bad design decision and I'm glad it was removed, but that doesn't make the current iteration good.
I'm glad they've nerfed Fenrir but it still seems like a really awkward fight. It's just extremely tedious and after a few deaths most people are going to start getting impatient since it's just a Carol boss. You have to waste shit loads of time walking around to not get hit by missiles just so you can hit the nose which is in an awkward spot and then you don't have a huge amount of time to actually hit the boss proper on top of said boss also spewing huge ass projectiles at you constantly and instantly crushing you if you don't get out of its mouth quickly enough. (And don't forget that the boss proper is also really freaking awkward to hit.) Just makes the entire boss take far longer than it should and it's just not enjoyable at all.

The refight as a failure state in the shitty Hell Temple spike room (an almost perfect clone of the single worst room in all of the first game) a few rooms before the final boss is what made me completely drop the game. Though at the time the fight was broken so it would respawn every fucking time you failed the room above it. And I just was not having that bullshit.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

for what it's worth, tonight's video ends on a much happier mood than lately
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

Alice wrote: 3 years ago

The refight as a failure state in the shitty Hell Temple spike room (an almost perfect clone of the single worst room in all of the first game)

Eh, it's not that close really. Other than the enemies there's no moving parts and you've got better control over Lumisa's movements compared to Lemeza, and more room between spikes, fewer spikes, etc.

Comparison:
fart.
helucard

Post by helucard »

Alice wrote:

The refight as a failure state in the shitty Hell Temple spike room (an almost perfect clone of the single worst room in all of the first game) a few rooms before the final boss is what made me completely drop the game. Though at the time the fight was broken so it would respawn every fucking time you failed the room above it. And I just was not having that bullshit.

Yeah, like, you already know how upset I was when I saw that pit room, but at least that bug wasn't there when I got to it. Once again, I do not envy those who played earlier builds -- Sorry for the misery you felt through that, Alice.

Duker wrote: Comparison:

This iteration didn't feel too bad honestly, especially since the hurt frames don't last for the full fall if you get hurt. I never played the hell temple in 1 (Truth be told, I never passed Palenque). And I hope to never have to. Seeing it played is enough for me.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: La-Mulana 2 - fisto on the scene

Post by Crow »

Instadeath trap count: 53 (+1 today)

what a fantastic way to end an episode.
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
helucard

Re: La-Mulana 2 - ok let's get murdered by ridley here

Post by helucard »

Ah, pulling at the threads of the Prophecy... Nice job on the Hresvelgr fight, that was pretty much how I dealt with him too.

I was wondering about how early it was that you could trigger the Heimdallr event, I suppose it makes sense that it's disabled here since, of course, it's Heimdallr...

He's waiting for the end...

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Nice job figuring out how to seal Ratatoskr, though contrary to what you said at the start of the video, you ended up fighting a boss anyway. I don't remember if I solved this myself, but I guess in retrospect, it wasn't that hard to figure out. Maybe I was just running out of steam close to the end of my playthrough.

Being "only" a 6th Child, Freya saying that she has survived for tens of thousands of years is making me wonder about the chronology of past events in this game. I wonder how much time elapsed between subsequent generations of Children. Or maybe the Children perceive time within Eg-Lana differently than people living in the outside world.

(aside: I posted something similar on the YT video but my comments haven't been showing up for some reason)
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

I figured that since the prophesies are numbered you obviously need to do them strictly in order... but as this episode showed the game ain't givin' any fucks about no prophecy ordering, at least as far as no.1 and no.2 is concerned. I hope it's a somehow still missed mistake as I don't want to think they'd intentionally trick the player like this with a false numbering that's impossible to know NOT being the wrong order.
fart.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years ago Being "only" a 6th Child, Freya saying that she has survived for tens of thousands of years is making me wonder about the chronology of past events in this game. I wonder how much time elapsed between subsequent generations of Children. Or maybe the Children perceive time within Eg-Lana differently than people living in the outside world.
Speaking of her, why is she perfectly healthy, while Freyr is dying of ligma?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

"The dead guy is a teetotaller and is offended by your offer. He pounds you into a pancake between two stones. You dead."
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Grounder wrote: 3 years ago Speaking of her, why is she perfectly healthy, while Freyr is dying of ligma?
Because you made Freyr sick
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Filbi
A Hobbit
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Filbi »

Say, who exactly is the Dark Star Lord, anyway? Is it Anu?
I change this sig every year for Advent
Zummorr
Bug Catcher

Post by Zummorr »

Hey, I'm wondering who specifically suggested to raocow he should play on hard mode.

Since they've basically been unnamed at this point.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: La-Mulana 2 - ok let's get murdered by richy rich here

Post by Awoo »

Zummorr wrote: 3 years ago Hey, I'm wondering who specifically suggested to raocow he should play on hard mode.

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Donut

Post by Donut »

Duker wrote: 3 years ago I figured that since the prophesies are numbered you obviously need to do them strictly in order... but as this episode showed the game ain't givin' any fucks about no prophecy ordering, at least as far as no.1 and no.2 is concerned. I hope it's a somehow still missed mistake as I don't want to think they'd intentionally trick the player like this with a false numbering that's impossible to know NOT being the wrong order.
I thought this too when I first caught on this was what was needed for the Eternal Prison puzzle, but remember that this prophecy isn't actually a prophecy at all: Freya just acted like it was so she could hide the fact that it's actually a set of instructions for how to seal Eg-Lana from the Mother. With that in mind, it's not so strange one of them was out of order, if rather rude of her.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Zummorr wrote: 3 years ago Hey, I'm wondering who specifically suggested to raocow he should play on hard mode.

As I understand it, an IRL friend
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
FPzero

Re: La-Mulana 2 - i was told this led to underworld johnny

Post by FPzero »

Oh boy it's the Hel fight coming up, good luck. I fought her after Echinda. The game is pretty open throughout until you need to find the Ancient Battery and the Cog, then it re-opens wide once more, so the fact I'm saying I did one before the other just happens to be that I thought traversing hell's gates seemed like a pretty late-game thing to do so I held off on doing it.

By the way, whenever you get back to the Hall of Malice, if you don't wanna fight boar girl and giant enemy crab again right away, you can try another fight path first. maybe they'll go better and give you the confidence to take those two down.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: La-Mulana 2 - check it out i'm the god of the dead yeah

Post by Crow »

Instadeath trap count: 54 (+1 today)

jesus hel!
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

If the Weapon Fairy is just chilling right next to you, then shouldn't you try luring her closer to your target? Unless there's a cooldown, but I'm not sure of the mechanics.

Speaking of, the Weapon Fairy lasts an incredibly long time. She persisted well after the fight. I don't know the exact numbers, but it seems like in order of duration, it's: Weapon Fairy > Healing Fairy > Key Fairy > Treasure Fairy
FPzero

Post by FPzero »

Yeah the Weapon Fairy needs to be in close proximity to something to attack it. Often this means she stays near what she's attacking, but sometimes she'll move far enough away that she returns to you.

Great job with the fight! Flares ended up being way more useful than I ever gave them credit for. I think I used Gun here and tried to melee Hel most of the way.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I recall the Caltrops being super useful in this fight, since they'd raise up with the platforms and rip through her. Think that was how i beat it, but a weapon fairy is definitely a viable option too.
Bluster Kerfuffle
Master of Windy Import

Post by Bluster Kerfuffle »

I spammed chakrams myself. They're actually very strong
Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

She goes by many names: Kara, weapon fairy,violence fairy,Slayer of Satan.
I think that makes the fairy the next ruler of the underworld.