(shouting)

La-Mulana 2 - fish. it is a fish. it's true.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Donut

Re: La-Mulana 2 - that's going to fall down and smash a guy

Post by Donut »

So everyone is likely going to tell raocow what the intended solution to the golden rock is, but what's less obvious is he also broke the room in Heaven's Labyrinth with the pushable statue and the four-piece mural. I'm pretty certain when I played, on the current patch, you could not reach that ladder in time. Rather, the solution is

to use the gale fibula dash to run under the statue before it falls onto the ground, which lets you reach the weight pad, which moves the ladder you use to reach the fairy over to the right and lets you access the life mural.

So unfortunately by not doing the puzzle as intended raocow has not only lost the ability to press that weight, but has also lost access to that fairy forever. :(
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Draexzhan »

Okay so with the reveal of Bad Box Art Megaman as a shopkeeper, I have something to share:

So, due to what I can only imagine to be legal issues, Bad Box Art Megaman is not included in the Switch version of La-Mulana 2. However, he was replaced with what I consider to be an even funnier cameo: Burgerpants from Undertale.
https://twitter.com/indieworldjp/status ... 2368943104
Signature text.
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow, the reason your npc entries keep getting reset is likely because of a bug that seems to have not been fixed. Rather than checking if you have an entry before giving it to you, every time you talk to an npc it just gives you the glossary entry again which resets it to unread.

Also you solved the golden rock puzzle basically the same way I did. I noticed when I grailed out that there appeared to be a gap you might be able to jump through when the rock splits in half. Turns out that wasn't the case but it resulted in the same glitch that you found. I did't find out until much later that that wasn't the intended solution.
Donut wrote: 3 years agoSo everyone is likely going to tell raocow what the intended solution to the golden rock is, but what's less obvious is he also broke the room in Heaven's Labyrinth with the pushable statue and the four-piece mural. I'm pretty certain when I played, on the current patch, you could not reach that ladder in time. Rather, the solution is

to use the gale fibula dash to run under the statue before it falls onto the ground, which lets you reach the weight pad, which moves the ladder you use to reach the fairy over to the right and lets you access the life mural.

So unfortunately by not doing the puzzle as intended raocow has not only lost the ability to press that weight, but has also lost access to that fairy forever. :(
Oh, is that the intended solution? I solved it the same way raocow did. I thought it felt weird since you can't reach the fairy but there's really no way to tell. Some of the puzzles, like the axe puzzle in today's video, are finicky enough that it's difficult to tell whether the solution you find is intended or not.
Donut

Post by Donut »

As of current patch La-Mulana 2 is about as solid as the first game was, but all I've heard suggests the game was a total mess for the first few months after release that could be broken in all sorts of ways. It seems most of the problems were worked out by the version raocow is using, but clearly there were still a few broken puzzles, and it just so happens raocow did two of them in one video. Unfortunate, but that was the risk he took when he used an earlier version. At least it's funny and entertaining.
Draexzhan
Flair text
First name: Nathan

Post by Draexzhan »

It's been over a year since I played LM2, so I don't remember, what does that weight pedestal do that raocow is now locked out of?

Signature text.
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Draexzhan wrote: 3 years ago

It's been over a year since I played LM2, so I don't remember, what does that weight pedestal do that raocow is now locked out of?

It moves one of the ladders in that room so the puzzle can be solved the "intended" way and the fairy light remain reachable after the puzzle is solved. The only ramification of what raocow did is that the fairy light there will now remain inaccessible.

Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I never saw (or maybe skimmed past and forgot) the reason raocow chose to play a less-than-newest version of LM2. What was it?
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Ditocoaf wrote: 3 years ago I never saw (or maybe skimmed past and forgot) the reason raocow chose to play a less-than-newest version of LM2. What was it?
Duker wrote: 3 years ago
Zummorr wrote: 3 years ago Voltgloss speculated that raocow is playing an older version because of changes in music. I know a couple others who are curious about why he's older version as well.
There's no speculating, raocow outright stated it himself in the patreon discord.
"yeah I was convinced to play with the old ost, and I was like 'okay sure'"
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Neat, makes sense.

What sorts of changes did they make to the music? That's not usually the sort of thing that developers drastically change post-release.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

From what I've seen, it seems like they changed or remixed tracks that had previously been shared between the two games. But I haven't played very far on the newest patch to see if that's true everywhere.
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

Most tracks have been altered to some degree, and it seems like it was changed for the sake of change with no rhyme or reason. No statement have been made about it, and it wasn't even in the patch note that it would change. Supposedly some loop points or whatever broke/got worse but I have not noticed anything like it.
fart.
Donut

Post by Donut »

Strangely I've never found the new versions of tracks on Youtube so I can't post a comparison, but it's mostly a change in mixing/instrumentation - no major changes in the melody or anything like that. Comparing the version I heard to the originals, in general the instruments are more balanced with individual instruments standing out less, which works with some tracks and doesn't with others. While I loved the soundtrack I heard in-game, I can agree the majority of tracks were worse off from the change, with boss tracks suffering in particular.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: La-Mulana 2 - it's a good thing very long hair is in fashion

Post by Crow »

Instadeath trap count: 36 (+2 today)

today: japan
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

When I played, I actually got mjiolnir and double jump pretty late, so I was doing everything I could with very limited resources. If I had the double jump this early I probably would have enjoyed the game a bit more.
Nothing to see here
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

raocow made a lot of progress this weekend. It looks like the linchpin was the Dinosaur Figure, which enabled the following chain of events: access Altar -> beat Jormungand -> get Mjolnir -> beat Angra Mainyu -> get Feather, thus breaking the game wide open.

Really smart to use the Mjolnir to circumvent Raijin's lightning attacks. I visited Takamagahara Shrine "early" (directly after beating Kujata), so I didn't have the Mjolnir or Feather for that fight. I don't remember how I handled the fight, honestly.

On another note,

there's just something that bothers me about the Crystal Skull text. I know that it's supposed to illustrate the superiority of the authors (presumably the Anunnaki) towards the Children, but the writing seems juvenile and out of place, especially from the later skulls. I wonder if they were being too liberal with the localization.

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years agoOn another note,

there's just something that bothers me about the Crystal Skull text. I know that it's supposed to illustrate the superiority of the authors (presumably the Anunnaki) towards the Children, but the writing seems juvenile and out of place, especially from the later skulls. I wonder if they were being too liberal with the localization.

I'm relaying this thirdhand as I can't confirm it myself, but

I've seen comments by those familiar with Japanese that even in the original, the Anunnaki "combine highbrow fancy-talk with lowbrow vulgarity" as one such commenter put it. My personal opinion, I unapologetically love it; I see it as giving them a unique voice (unlike any other in the game), driving home their transition over time from complete superiority to utter frustration, and being kind of hilarious.

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

im at episode 28 because i was binging video games the past few days and im just like not used to raocow saying "nope" as a verb and "vibing". i like it
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years agoReally smart to use the Mjolnir to circumvent Raijin's lightning attacks.
On the other hand

not using Mjolnir when it hit three charges

was a stupid move though.
repairmanman

Post by repairmanman »

Watching raocow is such a trip

i unlocked the power band before getting double jump and mjiolnir, so I never had a problem with it missing.

Nothing to see here
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

today: raocow gets distracted from his distraction
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
AweStriker

Re: La-Mulana 2 - the only discop shount in the ruins

Post by AweStriker »

PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years ago raocow made a lot of progress this weekend. It looks like the linchpin was the Dinosaur Figure, which enabled the following chain of events: access Altar -> beat Jormungand -> get Mjolnir -> beat Angra Mainyu -> get Feather, thus breaking the game wide open.

Really smart to use the Mjolnir to circumvent Raijin's lightning attacks. I visited Takamagahara Shrine "early" (directly after beating Kujata), so I didn't have the Mjolnir or Feather for that fight. I don't remember how I handled the fight, honestly.
A streamer I follow recently fought Raijin and Fujin, and they'd defeated Jormungandr but not gotten the Feather, so they were able to leverage Mjolnir. It was a good fight.
Alice wrote:
PSI Ninja wrote: 3 years agoReally smart to use the Mjolnir to circumvent Raijin's lightning attacks.
On the other hand not using Mjolnir when it hit three charges was a stupid move though.
Fortunately, it seems raocow has learned.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

"Hey Jalandhara! Let me axe you something!" - raocow
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Somehow I'm guessing the duck strat was not intended with Jalahandra lmao
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

FPzero wrote: 3 years ago Somehow I'm guessing the duck strat was not intended with Jalahandra lmao
I'm actually super impressed at how raocow has managed to cheese a good number of bosses (Vritra is still my favorite). Despite how buggy the game is at times, it somehow really adds to the overall charm and experience in a bizarre way.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

how much, like, developer continuity is there between la mulana freeware -> la mulana wiiware -> la mulana 2