(shouting)

La-Mulana 2 - fish. it is a fish. it's true.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Donut

Re: La-Mulana 2 - getting murdered by local wildlife

Post by Donut »

While I'm not sure I'd go so far as to call La-Mulana's graphics generic, I always thought La Mulana's unassuming presentation was part of its charm. Just by looking at it you'd think it was your average platformer/metroidvania, and you'd never expect how far it goes with its concept. I'm perfectly happy with it being the killer rabbit of indie 2D games.

Edit to avoid double posting: I came into this LP late so I don't know if anyone's brought this up, but I think raocow's under a misassumption about why the game keeps saying La-Mulana enemies were copied from the originals located in Eg-Lana. Fobos said back in episode 4 that the philosophers essentially turned La-Mulana into a training ground for the 8th Children to select one to destroy the Mother. To do so they researched Eg-Lana, whose nature as a warzone birthed many monsters, and replicated them for their trials. So they did take inspiration from the much more hostile Eg-Lana, but La-Mulana is no cheap imitation by any means.
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: La-Mulana 2 - got all this greece across time and space

Post by Crow »

raocow: "I am going to finish exploring an area today." *ends by poking his nose into a completely new area*
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

"I wish I could see boss health," says raocow, having still not received the email about the shop being open in the gate of guidance. What the heck is up with that anyway? I'm guessing his sequence broke a trigger or something? Either way, there's no really good way to hint he should revisit those areas because puzzles related to the la-mulana ruins don't really show up until close to the endgame...

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

FPzero wrote: 3 years ago

"I wish I could see boss health," says raocow, having still not received the email about the shop being open in the gate of guidance. What the heck is up with that anyway? I'm guessing his sequence broke a trigger or something? Either way, there's no really good way to hint he should revisit those areas because puzzles related to the la-mulana ruins don't really show up until close to the endgame...

There *is* one thing that will get him going back to that area, and it's looking for the Bronze Mirror. Which clue chain is really just one visit to Takamagahara Shrine away from starting.

I don't know what's up with him not yet getting a message about that shop. Maybe the game is waiting for him to run out of Ankh Jewels.

Last edited by Voltgloss 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Bluster Kerfuffle
Master of Windy Import

Post by Bluster Kerfuffle »

love heaven's labyrinth it's lit
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

Nice AI loop there, Ratatoskr.

Probably the biggest joy I had in playing this game was the discovery of new fields. Getting to see the new area graphics and the new enemies was always exciting, as well as having renewed hope that there would be an easy new progression item to find. So I can totally relate to raocow wanting to dip his feet into new places.
S.N.N. wrote: I distinctly remember that place being called “Dark Lord’s Mausoleum” on my playthrough (right around the release date of the game), so I’m guessing the “Star” was added in a later update. Interesting.
I remembered it as "Dark Lord's Mausoleum", too. I also seem to remember Vedfolnir being called "Vedrfolnir". Too bad there's no convenient document that tracks text changes across versions. I think it would be interesting.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Donut wrote: 3 years agoEdit to avoid double posting: I came into this LP late so I don't know if anyone's brought this up, but I think raocow's under a misassumption about why the game keeps saying La-Mulana enemies were copied from the originals located in Eg-Lana. Fobos said back in episode 4 that the philosophers essentially turned La-Mulana into a training ground for the 8th Children to select one to destroy the Mother. To do so they researched Eg-Lana, whose nature as a warzone birthed many monsters, and replicated them for their trials. So they did take inspiration from the much more hostile Eg-Lana, but La-Mulana is no cheap imitation by any means.
No matter what the in-game explanation, it still feels weird to me to have the setting of the first game retconned to be a replica, a tutorial or an echo, while the new game is the real deal (this time, we swear). It just feels like the sequel is self-conscious about its place in the lore and so tries to diminish the original. This is far from the only series to do that, but it's funny how often it comes up in the glossary.
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

I see it more as lampshading to avoid having people complain about their use of some enemies that are similar to enemies in LM1.
fart.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Ehh, to me it reads more like being hyper-self-consciousness about being a derivative work, and overcompensating as a result.. "Guys, I know this seems like it's just a barely altered copy of the original, but I swear this is totally the real, authentic one, and the original (which you liked better) is actually the copy. You believe me, right guys? Guys? Where are you going, guys?"
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

S.N.N. wrote: 3 years agoI distinctly remember that place being called “Dark Lord’s Mausoleum” on my playthrough (right around the release date of the game), so I’m guessing the “Star” was added in a later update. Interesting.
I want to say that the third, fourth, or fifth update to the game (or perhaps more than one of them) included a bunch of translation changes and typo fixes. Dark Lord's Mausoleum -> Dark Star Lord's Mausoleum was one of those.
helucard

Post by helucard »

Wow, ok, so something rao did in the more recent episodes has opened up this game a bit more to me, I hadn't figured it out and hit a major bottleneck. Then suddenly he just does A Thing and I'm like "wait, that's what I'm missing. Heck."

And suddenly, I'm making progress again. Good times! :D

Due to the fact that it helped me make Actually Quantifiable Progress in something rao has yet to see, I decided I shouldn't say exactly what was done, and just for the sake of keeping this information as vague and unpointed and utterly blind as possible, I have waited a few days before saying it so as to not influence anything..... I am being painfully careful about my potential to accidentally spoil stuff to a point that probably seems ridiculous, but I don't wanna suddenly cause him to veer off in another direction hahaha

For those who have seen this game played through before, and know the general structure, I'll leave it in the spoiler.
... So I'm an idiot. Because as rao clearly demonstrated, it was shown in an image on a tablet. I just never really picked up on it. But the blood corridor being able to be turned around was something I never picked up on. And the stuff I've been seeing about angra mainyu now finally makes sense. And boy, was that worth it!
That said, thanks for this playthrough :) I might actually get somewhere in this game now, maybe...
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Donut

Post by Donut »

Le Neveu de Rameau wrote: 3 years ago Ehh, to me it reads more like being hyper-self-consciousness about being a derivative work, and overcompensating as a result.. "Guys, I know this seems like it's just a barely altered copy of the original, but I swear this is totally the real, authentic one, and the original (which you liked better) is actually the copy. You believe me, right guys? Guys? Where are you going, guys?"
I won't belabor the point too much since even I agree to an extent about how Eg-Lana was handled, but just so I have all my thoughts out there (spoilering for safety, I don't think any of the points I'm making haven't already been seen in the LP):
Eg-Lana is explicitly the copy of La-Mulana, not the other way around. La-Mulana is the original body of the Mother, while Eg-Lana is where the bad elements of the various children were sent off to by the children who discovered it. All the lore, history, and most of the areas within La-Mulana are all their own, and were just given additions by the 7th Children for their ends. To me at least it doesn't feel like a retcon because it was always a part of the original that the philosophers were choosing a champion, but even then many of the monsters and challenges weren't made by them. It feels to me more like Eg-Lana is a separate culture, and there was some degree of contact between them despite it being a prison.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Apropos of nothing, can I just say that I'm really glad they added lots of NPCs to the game? I know they're generally no different than a tablet, but there's so much more interesting flavor when you have NPCs telling you things. Plus, it's cool to see all these figures from mythology and how they get represented in here, among all the rest of the mythological interpretations that are usually the bosses and minibosses.
Bluster Kerfuffle
Master of Windy Import

Donut wrote: 3 years ago
quality post *fart button*
FPzero wrote: 3 years ago Apropos of nothing, can I just say that I'm really glad they added lots of NPCs to the game? I know they're generally no different than a tablet, but there's so much more interesting flavor when you have NPCs telling you things. Plus, it's cool to see all these figures from mythology and how they get represented in here, among all the rest of the mythological interpretations that are usually the bosses and minibosses.
YES I loved this about the game, even just reading about them in the glossary
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: La-Mulana 2 - a cloak made from ice protects one from the heat, oh!

Post by Crow »

Instadeath trap count: 26 (+1 today)

and now rao has officially stepped into every main area except the eternal prison and the endgame area

i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Cyril wrote: 3 years ago

and now rao has officially stepped into every main area except the eternal prison and the endgame area

the real la-mulana 2 starts here

S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

I forgot how amazing the shrine's theme is - probably one of my favorites in the game.
AweStriker

Post by AweStriker »

This one's new to me too - I haven't seen someone find Heaven's Labyrinth before Takamagahara Shrine before this.
I'm beginning to grow concerned over mantras, since if raocow thinks he needs Moon in that room he'll never go back there on account of that being where you get Moon. Someone in Gate of the Dead has that hint, and there are still things to do there I think - for one thing, the front door to DSLM needs to be opened.
S.N.N. wrote: I forgot how amazing the shrine's theme is - probably one of my favorites in the game.
Since the Creation is indeed a fantastic track. On the whole I like LM2's soundtrack better than the first.
Bluster Kerfuffle
Master of Windy Import

"I need to get here with the moon mantra" HAHAHAHAHHA

raocow could really use a second chat with the animal sage guy in valhalla. I think he's never tried using a mantra when there's no bust of mimir

man I love the song in heaven's labyrinth so much. spent hours on that place just being stuck forever and I did not even mind
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

AweStriker wrote: 3 years ago
I'm beginning to grow concerned over mantras, since if raocow thinks he needs Moon in that room he'll never go back there on account of that being where you get Moon. Someone in Gate of the Dead has that hint, and there are still things to do there I think - for one thing, the front door to DSLM needs to be opened.
raocow really hasn't done much in the Gate of the Dead yet at all, including accessing the Holy Grail Tablet and finding the Map. I'm fairly confident he'll be heading back there soon; and when he does will find that hint, along with other hints/prizes in that area. I'm particularly looking forward to him figuring out

the proper use for Pepper - I legit laughed out loud when I solved that one.

Tenlade

Post by Tenlade »

whoops I figured raocow was going for the colored chest the ingame way, or I would a offered the kickstarter key as well, (wasnt sure if talking about those was a spoiler either) If anyone else wants them, just ask.

The later dungeons in this game have some really good background music. The cooridor of bloods music actually goes on for a while adding instruments but youd almost never hear it going in and out of the thing in 10 seconds
Voltgloss

Post by Voltgloss »

Tenlade wrote: 3 years ago The cooridor of bloods music actually goes on for a while adding instruments but youd almost never hear it going in and out of the thing in 10 seconds
Agreed, it's definitely worth a listen to the whole thing:

Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Tenlade wrote: 3 years agowhoops I figured raocow was going for the colored chest the ingame way, or I would a offered the kickstarter key as well, (wasnt sure if talking about those was a spoiler either) If anyone else wants them, just ask.
It makes more sense this way considering you can only unlock one costume before basically the end of the game without the kickstarter backer file. Makes unlocking them a bit pointless that way.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Alice wrote: 3 years ago
Tenlade wrote: 3 years agowhoops I figured raocow was going for the colored chest the ingame way, or I would a offered the kickstarter key as well, (wasnt sure if talking about those was a spoiler either) If anyone else wants them, just ask.
It makes more sense this way considering you can only unlock one costume before basically the end of the game without the kickstarter backer file. Makes unlocking them a bit pointless that way.
Isn't at least one available if you complete a certain

cheevo

that doesn't require beating the game?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
AweStriker

Post by AweStriker »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago
Alice wrote: 3 years ago
Isn't at least one available if you complete a certain

cheevo

that doesn't require beating the game?
Yes, but that is

visiting Nebur a lot

and isn't likely to come up since

there are many more places where it is also easy to buy weights.