(shouting)

YUMP2 - Marginal Consciousness

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Re: YUMP2 - 4 - Around the World

Post by FourteenthOrder »

idol wrote: 3 years ago i came up with the idea of making ysp long as hell because i thought itd be funny if a regular innocuous level turned out to be a gauntlet

i think it turned out funny as fuck
It's the best joke in the entire hack oh my gosh thank you
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol

Post by idol »

since there's no ysp Creator list, i made fuzzy room, sumo grass room, cave room (i thought the maze aspect was really funny), and fake bowser room. and bowsber hall.

crikies
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

idol wrote: 3 years ago i came up with the idea of making ysp long as hell because i thought itd be funny if a regular innocuous level turned out to be a gauntlet

imo it's funny because it's specifically because it's the yellow switch palace, all that work for either what should be the "easiest" switch palace or what's the most "basic" ! block by standards of the original smw. there's also an expectation for yellow ! blocks to be rampant so it's really worth it to go through everything in the level, again based on normal smw whether or not they're actually used that way in yump2. it's very funny
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Sinc-X
uncreative title
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sinc-X »

idol wrote: 3 years ago since there's no ysp Creator list, i made fuzzy room, sumo grass room, cave room (i thought the maze aspect was really funny), and fake bowser room. and bowsber hall.

crikies
i will continue this train by saying i am responsible for both bramble rooms (which were originally one room but it was split due to spawning issues), the decathlon room, the "no running" room, the elevator room, and the glasses room
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Sinc-X wrote: 3 years ago
idol wrote: 3 years ago since there's no ysp Creator list, i made fuzzy room, sumo grass room, cave room (i thought the maze aspect was really funny), and fake bowser room. and bowsber hall.

crikies
i will continue this train by saying i am responsible for both bramble rooms (which were originally one room but it was split due to spawning issues), the decathlon room, the "no running" room, the elevator room, and the glasses room
I think the bramble room is better split like this. Player beats it thinking they won't have to deal with brambles again (it's probably the worst room in YSP, I think that's intentional), and then this room again.
Last edited by Sugar 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

I will say it's slightly less funny when you're on the receiving end of it, especially if you're like me, who went the exact same path raocow did, and thus come upon it like 10 exits into the hack, but I imagine that if encountered later it doesn't set any sort of precedent (I was actively terrified it meant later levels would be as gauntlet-y) and is just funny. I dunno, opinions on it are still mixed for me but I guess everyone else thinks it's funny so I guess I should too? That's the YUMP 2 experience I suppose.

I actually didn't think the brambles rooms were that bad on that note. For me it was just the maze and the return of Manky Bridge. The rest was either just fine or really fun.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

yump 2 is like, a post-modern vip7 and i love it. props to raocow for doing this in one sitting even if it's honestly pretty brutal to him. 1 HOUR OF YUMP QUALITY !!!!!!!!!! *shadowgate navgtr music*

idol wrote: 3 years ago since there's no ysp Creator list, i made cave room (i thought the maze aspect was really funny)
wow i cant believe multiple time super mario wrold central dot internet level design contest winner charlotte idol de sicäa made such a low quality level. how dare she, how disappointing. clearly super mario world central dot internet's quality assurance of hacks submitted is rigged towards branding. i will complain about this on the internet like it's a serious issue and not something i completely made up in my head

Sinc-X wrote: i will continue this train by saying i am responsible for the glasses room
the glasses room was funny and a clever use of the mosaic effect on the snes. good shit

Validon98 wrote: I will say it's slightly less funny when you're on the receiving end of it, especially if you're like me, who went the exact same path raocow did, and thus come upon it like 10 exits into the hack, but I imagine that if encountered later it doesn't set any sort of precedent (I was actively terrified it meant later levels would be as gauntlet-y) and is just funny. I dunno, opinions on it are still mixed for me but I guess everyone else thinks it's funny so I guess I should too?
if you didnt find it funny thats okay too
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
alleightbits
START PLAY!
First name: Brian
Pronouns: he/him

Post by alleightbits »

wait can you do it again i wasn’t looking
And, yeah, maybe the retry checkpoints being automatically saved could’ve been better indicated.
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I found the joke funny myself. You play the level and at first you're confused and annoyed at the length. Then the joke kicks in and it's hilarious. You keep playing, the joke wears thin, and you get tired. The level just keeps going and you're back to laughing. It finally ends and you don't believe it. It was the best. A very memorable level and I'm glad you went for it.

The only criticism I have is that several rooms in, once the joke is obvious, you could put a message box reminding the player that they can quit and their progress in the level will be saved. Although that would spoil the length of the level, so maybe not.
Validon98 wrote: 3 years agoI dunno, opinions on it are still mixed for me but I guess everyone else thinks it's funny so I guess I should too? That's the YUMP 2 experience I suppose.
Nah, no one is saying that. It's fine if you don't like the joke, or the level, or the hack. It's all good.
Last edited by The Doctor 3 years ago, edited 2 times in total.
Sinc-X
uncreative title

Post by Sinc-X »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago
Sinc-X wrote: i will continue this train by saying i am responsible for the glasses room
the glasses room was funny and a clever use of the mosaic effect on the snes. good shit
i should mention that medic made the asm, i just made the level part. bless medic
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

I'm only sad that this level's not replayable
:trans_pride:
Classtoise
First name: June
Pronouns: she/her/hers

Post by Classtoise »

raocow wrote: 3 years ago also that wasn't posted today, unlike what the image says
*SOMEONE* knew that I was saying something foolish and prepared themselves!
I did something like that to my Monster of the Week players. Screenshotted them saying "okie dokie Loki", and posted it when the found out one of the people they worked with was Loki.
:bi_pride: :trans_pride:
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

We all thought this level would break raocow of his resolve never let the sun go down on an SMW level, but he blandly presented an hour and half minor epic. The true yellow switch is when you find the egg is on your own face.

In line with these confidences about level creators, I am happy to accept responsibility for mankier bridge and momemtum featuring penguin.
dont wanna jihad no more
Duker
I post u2be tags I guess

Post by Duker »

The Doctor wrote: 3 years ago The only criticism I have is that several rooms in, once the joke is obvious, you could put a message box reminding the player that they can quit and their progress in the level will be saved. Although that would spoil the length of the level, so maybe not.
It would only vaguely imply that it might be a long level, I think that's far far far more preferable over the current version.
fart.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Jesus christ this was the most insane stunt I've ever seen pulled in a SMW hack, and maybe up there as one of the most insane stunts I've seen pulled in games in general. wow.

it is both predictable, sad and hilarious that some people react to it by saying "this should just be normal levels". same criticism that's been levelled at all of my favorite games, "why can't it just be normal instead of what it is" lol
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

When I saw the video length I was expecting significantly more angercow than there actually ended up being. Not that that's a bad thing. It's very good, in fact.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Leet wrote: 3 years ago Jesus christ this was the most insane stunt I've ever seen pulled in a SMW hack, and maybe up there as one of the most insane stunts I've seen pulled in games in general. wow.

it is both predictable, sad and hilarious that some people react to it by saying "this should just be normal levels". same criticism that's been levelled at all of my favorite games, "why can't it just be normal instead of what it is" lol
in my defense, i didn't know that you could leave and come back pretty much scot-free, and it seems as though a lot of other people didn't, either
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Leet

Post by Leet »

I didn't know either, but save states would do the same thing, unless you really wanted to go play other levels in-between all these levels for some reason
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

I think the big thing to keep in mind while criticizing something is the difference between "I see what they were trying to do but I don't think they pulled it off", "I see what they were trying to do and maybe they got the result they were going for, but I don't like that sort of thing and here's why", and "Even if this is what they were going for, nobody should want that". The first two are legit criticism, be careful to not fall into the third. *

Just always remember that there are people who do want this sort of thing (where 'this sort of thing' is whatever level we're talking about at the moment, not YSP in particular). raocow is going into this knowing that there will levels made for people who want something he might not want. There are ways to criticize without denying/ignoring that fact. Make sure you aren't implicitly saying "you should never make a level to cater to this particular taste".

*(unless a level is somehow, like, shitty in a way that's relevant outside of the videogame. like advocating racism or something. You're allowed to wish nobody wanted that.)
Last edited by Ditocoaf 3 years ago, edited 6 times in total.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

morsel/morceau wrote: 3 years ago We all thought this level would break raocow of his resolve never let the sun go down on an SMW level, but he blandly presented an hour and half minor epic. The true yellow switch is when you find the egg is on your own face.

In line with these confidences about level creators, I am happy to accept responsibility for mankier bridge and momemtum featuring penguin.
I did enjoy the penguin level at least.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

it was pretty fuckin funny

i heard the 'warnings' some misguided ppl were giving in the before times, and i expected it to be bowser's castle or something. but no, it's yellow switch palace. that's amazing

for ppl saying the level is too long: did you know, you can use your emulator's save state feature, and then walk away? you can come back later. tbh the criticism seems more "this is not the usual and therefore bad" rather than "i have a good reason why this didnt work"

EDIT: i'll add to this by saying that, unusual things are by default a little bit better than usual things, when it comes to art. if then on top of that it failed spectacularly, we'd have a conversation, but holy shit the creativity in this level is off the fucking charts. it's a megalodon of good shit
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I said "N.B. is kind of obscure", and morsel adds 2 extra messages to make a jab at me. I'm glad.

I ran into a similar stunt last weekend, when doing a puzzlehunt with a certain puzzle that kept going on and on. After each part was finished, it'd go "But is this the end of the puzzle? Next part: ". It was my favorite.

Also, have a run of the yellow switch palace that I did today in under 33 minutes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dvbiun0 ... e=youtu.be
Mosts Awards:
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

I mean, to clarify, the joke doesn't work for me, someone who usually expects the amount of time something like this takes to be a finale or something like that. In fact I bet if this were Bowser's Castle or something I'd not worry about it too much. Yes, I get it, you can just put it down and pick it back up later, I know, in fact I did that when I was approaching the end because I wasn't sure how much longer it would go (and took several smaller breaks before then). And I'm not begrudging that the length is the joke. I don't want that to change. I think that there might have been some rooms that, though claimed to not really be worth expanding into full levels, could have been (standouts to me being some of the fun ASM stuff like the rotating room with all the koopa troopas or the penguin room, or like, the sumo bros lightning room). They do kinda end up being mixed in with less fun rooms, but then again that's kind of how a lot of multiperson levels go anyhow? And ultimately I think I spent as much time on this, even with states near the end, as like, RNG? So it's ultimately not even that much longer since a checkpoint every room is to me way more forgiving than a checkpoint every two or three like in usual bowser's castle style things, to the point I actually prefer this single line gauntlet style if it doesn't only save every two rooms or whatever.

Ultimately a lot of what frustrated me were just, individual rooms giving me ire and that being a huge roadblock, rather than the length of it or whatever (in the sense of like, oh okay I did this room that gave me a lot of trouble... now time for another room that gives me a lot of trouble... and another... etc., but that's moreso, again, I am terrible at SMW and what would take folk on the JUMP team or raocow 10 minutes takes me 20). There's fun, interesting things here, there's less fun things in here. There's silly filler rooms that exist to be silly. It's a hodge-podge mess, it's a lot. It's something no other hack I've seen has dared do. Do I like the end result? Eh. But that's mostly personal bias from not having the same energy or skill to do things like this and then willfully continuing on instead of giving myself a break because I'm an idiot who tries to play hacks like other people do and I end up having less fun as a result.

Edit: N.B. I've heard a weird amount of times so I dunno why it's obscure but maybe that just depends on how much it's come up (not much in recent times, it's something I heard more in like, older media).
Last edited by Validon98 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

oh i mean finding the difficulty of the challenges unfun is valid
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Leet

Post by Leet »

Validon98 wrote: 3 years ago I mean, to clarify, the joke doesn't work for me, someone who usually expects the amount of time something like this takes to be a finale or something like that. In fact I bet if this were Bowser's Castle or something I'd not worry about it too much.
That's... everyone who thinks that. that is literally what the joke is