(shouting)

YUMP2 - Marginal Consciousness

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
TiKi

Re: YUMP2 - Battle! Frontier Brain

Post by TiKi »

Ashan wrote: 3 years ago For posterity:

The jig is up, TAScow
this sprite has been immortalized in raocow history
https://www.smwcentral.net/?p=section&a ... s&id=20116
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: YUMP2 - Ninjas Are Still The Hardest

Post by KobaBeach »

Skye wrote: 3 years ago I'm proud to have been mentioned in this legendary LP. lol
get owne i got mentioned in the sotn lp 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-) 8-)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

somebody set us up the bomb
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

the title of the level and the beginning of the video where raocow talks about self love,
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
ft029
m/m wannabe

Re: YUMP2 - Welcome to Fun World

Post by ft029 »

the word KOUMEI exists because I complained that the yoshi fireball often reached the red paratroopas if you went too fast. So don't be hasty!

The mushroom platform to the left of the chuck exists for a very good reason. The tiny yoshi-dismount raocow was trying to do seems like it's nearly frame perfect (i.e. must press A for 2 or less frames, I think), and is absolutely unintended.

I don't remember this level taking more than 30 minutes or so for me without saves. After figuring out *what to do*, the level becomes significantly easier. But before then it's sort of a puzzle. I really like the creativity of some setups (the ending of the 1st half, raising the baseball man, eating pokeys to lower them)
Mosts Awards:
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

I get that raocow isn't into kaizo but if he ever decides he wants to try it out again, I'd honestly suggest something like Quickie World just to get into the subgenre better instead of going head first into the harder end of the spectrum, I've started Quickie and I'm having a good time

But I also wouldn't exactly recommend kaizo to him at all lol
Image Image
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

I really liked this level. It's amazing how after 10+ years of Mario rom hacking designers can still come up with creative gimmicks that blow your mind. I did get stuck for a couple of hours on that last Pokey because it kept spawning with too many segments preventing me from spin-jumping on it. Apparently it has something to do with having Yoshi on screen or not, but eventually I got lucky on a run and he spawned the right height.

Outside of not knowing Mario spawning rules, the level wasn't too bad. As ft029 said, it's mostly puzzly. Once you learn the correct way to do things you realize that the execution required isn't nearly as hard as you first thought.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

So I was going to pretty much agree with everyone saying that this level isn't particularly difficult once you know what to do, but then I decided to play it again just to refresh my memory, and I forgot how much trouble I had with the part right after the mid-point. (And yet I remembered a random train of thought I had the first time I played where I said "gao" one time I died, and then I made a remark about how that's the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a lion makes; truly the human mind is an enigma.) I didn't have any trouble figuring out that you're supposed to leave a spot for Yoshi to land, but I just could not do so consistently.

I also remember having trouble getting the baseball throwing Chuck to jump up the blocks, even with knowing to do so from the left. Although here I can say that past me must have been doing something wrong; I remember dying many times here the first time I played, but in my second run I died once, realized what I did wrong, and never died there again.

KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 3 years ago And yet I remembered a random train of thought I had the first time I played where I said "gao" one time I died, and then I made a remark about how that's the Japanese onomatopoeia for the sound a lion makes; truly the human mind is an enigma.
the dimensions are converging
Image Image
Crow

Post by Crow »

fun fact: the sausage groove lady is actually named "janet kaizo" she invented kaizo so that's why she's dancing in the postgame
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol

Post by idol »

also she's a lesbian
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

CrappyBlueLuigi wrote: 3 years ago cyril [and idol are] really good at saying objectively true things
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Crow

All the S@nics 2 - Welcome to Fun World

Post by Crow »

i forgot which thread i was in so i thought idol's post was about blaze, since blaze is indeed a lesbian
this is now the all the sanics thread btw
CrappyBlueLuigi
pants are a tool of oppression
First name: Crepe
Pronouns: she/they

Post by CrappyBlueLuigi »

that gets a fart button from me
someday, when i'm bigger,
i'm gonna be just like my mama!
Skye

Post by Skye »

The Doctor wrote: 3 years ago I did get stuck for a couple of hours on that last Pokey because it kept spawning with too many segments preventing me from spin-jumping on it. Apparently it has something to do with having Yoshi on screen or not, but eventually I got lucky on a run and he spawned the right height.
You're supposed to eat the head, man.

The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

Skye wrote: 3 years ago
The Doctor wrote: 3 years ago I did get stuck for a couple of hours on that last Pokey because it kept spawning with too many segments preventing me from spin-jumping on it. Apparently it has something to do with having Yoshi on screen or not, but eventually I got lucky on a run and he spawned the right height.
You're supposed to eat the head, man.
Huh. Yeah, looking at it again you do have time to eat two pokey heads before ditching Yoshi. I never thought of that. About 1/4 of the time that first Pokey would spawn with only 3 segments instead of 5, so I just kept grinding it out until I get lucky. Hey, raocow isn't the only one who can make life more difficult for himself.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

When Pokey spawns it checks whether Mario is on Yoshi.

Code: Select all

InitPokey:          A9 1F         LDA.B #$1F                ; \ If on Yoshi, $C2,x = #$1F 
CODE_01854D:        AC 7A 18      LDY.W RAM_OnYoshi         ;  | (5 segments, 1 bit each) 
CODE_018550:        D0 02         BNE CODE_018554           ;  | 
CODE_018552:        A9 07         LDA.B #$07                ;  | If not on Yoshi, $C2,x = #$07 
CODE_018554:        95 C2         STA RAM_SpriteState,X     ; /   (3 segments, 1 bit each)
However, worth noting that Pokey spawns off-screen about 4 blocks from the camera edge, so keep that in mind while spawning the cactus.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Re: YUMP2 - Haunted House

Post by SAJewers »

edit: wow that was 8 years ago already
Last edited by SAJewers 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

This is kinda pit territory of really specific button combos that you have to have ready to do
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

This level is a level I know quite well. I had fun here, but in the second half I had the wrong idea of how to do things, and it took me a long time to figure out what you're supposed to do. Things started out relatively fine for me in the second half; I had a fair amount of struggling but I managed to figure things out. But when it came time to cross the big gap to throw the shell at the switch, I tried to do it by spin jumping on the bubble with the shell. This was really difficult, since the shell kept destroying the bubble, and when I finally did it I realized I didn't have a way back.

Now that I know what you're supposed to do it seems obvious, but it genuinely took me days of pondering before I figured it out (not that I spent every waking moment thinking about it, but still). After finally crossing the gap using the wrong method I was doing I decided to take a break until the next day, but I still couldn't figure it out until the day after that.

AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

Not gonna opine on the level, but that video was quite good. Pretty high action throughout with low downtime, good editing
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I'm glad I stopped playing this hack when I did! I never could have gotten this far even with savestate and rewind use. I just don't have the patience and skill needed for this sort of thing.
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 3 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

OKay it's still a different kind of level than all the levels that came before it in needing really specific button combos instead of just parsing the challenge and then doing it are you fucking happy i seriously hate posting anything online
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.