(shouting)

YUMP2 - Marginal Consciousness

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
TheFunPolice

Re: YUMP2 - 4 - Around the World

Post by TheFunPolice »

yeahhhhhhh, this level...
new winner, far outshining depraved stronghold for most brutal endurance check :reimuko:

the gag with the smwc page screenshots is pretty great tho
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Grounder wrote: 3 years ago A lot of cool ideas, definitely should have been spread across multiple levels instead of being a giant gauntlet with zero warning.
and ruin the joke
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago
Grounder wrote: 3 years ago A lot of cool ideas, definitely should have been spread across multiple levels instead of being a giant gauntlet with zero warning.
and ruin the joke
it isn't a joke, though?

yump 2 isn't above/below criticism, anyway
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

I liked a lot of it though I really don't see the humour in "its a marathon be not indicated!". I feel like if I say something like 'it shouldnt be so long', I'd just get 'well its obviously like that on purpose', and yeah but like, even a joke relying on repetition needs a limit, you know?

My favourite rooms are a tie between the 'olympic event' for the really fun atmosphere, and the 'you cannot run room' because by the latter's very nature forces you to have a strangely subdued platforming experience. It's like you're taking an honest stroll, but it's still fraught with danger!

The 'draw a line' room is probably the most technically impressive though, but it's a lot less exciting than others. Second most technically impressive is the 'momentum ft penguin' room, and it's a lot more nerve-wracking in comparison!
Peliptia
(ˈpe-lip-SHēə) / [ˈpɛ-lɪp-ʃiə]

Post by Peliptia »

⚞ahhhmygoshthislevelwasamazing⚟ i feel so so bad for how much rao had to play〜i know it was crazy extra but thats what makes it kinda incredible✧゚tho its probably worth saying its probably more fun to watch than to play…so heh (^▽^`)°
ImageImage
Sinc-X
uncreative title
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sinc-X »

it's only a gauntlet if you make it one, since you can exit and come back at any time
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Sinc-X wrote: 3 years ago it's only a gauntlet if you make it one, since you can exit and come back at any time
Assuming every room has an unmarked checkpoint, there's no way to know that, either, outside of taking an increasingly large risk.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Sinc-X
uncreative title

Post by Sinc-X »

Grounder wrote: 3 years ago
Sinc-X wrote: 3 years ago it's only a gauntlet if you make it one, since you can exit and come back at any time
Assuming every room has an unmarked checkpoint, there's no way to know that, either, outside of taking an increasingly large risk.
the game explicitly tells you in a message box that all checkpoints are saved when you go to the overworld
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Sinc-X wrote: 3 years ago
the game explicitly tells you in a message box that all checkpoints are saved when you go to the overworld
I wouldn't consider every new instant retry to be a checkpoint, personally.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Sniggerb0bble
These arms ain't ever going down.

Post by Sniggerb0bble »

I can't speak for how it feels to play, but it was a treat to watch. Whilst there wasn't much of a sense of progression throughout, I loved how the switch palace aesthetic faded out slowly over the levels and slowly faded back in towards the end, it's a nice touch.

I do also have a soft spot for experiences like this that intentionally go against the general player-designer agreement, it's quite interesting to see how leaving the player this much in the dark can feel, and it's not really an experience you can find in many other places.
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

To be fair, I wasn't sure when I played if that counted quick retry or not. I think of the vanilla checkpoints when I hear checkpoint, so it took me awhile to realize "oh I could take a break from this and not do it in one go without savestating my own checkpoints."

Also as for how this is to play, levels like this are why on one hand I like trying these hacks for myself before raocow so I can get my own take and experience beforehand, though it is biased by my inexperience in Mario. On the other hand, it did take me around six total (with some breaks) hours to finish, and some states towards the end due to how utterly exhausted I was. It was interesting, but hoofah never again do I want to spend like six hours on one exit of a hack with at least 100 exits.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Sinc-X wrote: 3 years ago
To be honest, and this could be chalked up to my own failure of interpretation, I also didn't immediately assume that the quick-retries were signs of fully-function checkpoints as well so I was under the assumption too that it was all-at-once or nothing. Maybe it's a moot point though, since anyone looking to take a break in-between for whatever reason would probably just put a save state.
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
Pronouns: she/her
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

I didn't think the retry prompt counted as a checkpoint either, so I also thought you had to do it all at once or use a savestate.
It sure is amazing to watch, but I got real exhausted about half way through. I pushed through in the hopes that it would be over soon and funnily enough, right when I was about to stop it ended.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

HatKid wrote: 3 years ago I didn't think the retry prompt counted as a checkpoint either, so I also thought you had to do it all at once or use a savestate.
It sure is amazing to watch, but I got real exhausted about half way through. I pushed through in the hopes that it would be over soon and funnily enough, right when I was about to stop it ended.
Speaking as someone who's done YSP, and had the gimmick of it spoiled, each new room is in fact a new checkpoint. You can quit and retry and you'll be where you left off. I know this would've ruined the joke probably, but the game really does need to indicate that to you.

EDIT: Oh my bad I misinterpreted the post I was quoting. But while I'm here, I'm pretty sure other stages don't necessarily save on the instant retry checkpoint and *only* on midpoint. I know for a fact oneup midpoints don't save if you reset the game
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow wrote:Welcome to world Yellow Switch Palace!
More like "welcome to my new lp of the Yellow Switch Palace romhack", lol.
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

moogy

Post by moogy »

So, is this the longest raocow video? If not, what is? I'm honestly curious now, lol.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Played it for myself on SMWC's twitch two days ago, and man, YSP is one hell of a level. It's a ton of fun with all sorts of unique ideas that wouldn't really fit in a level on their own. Some levels are better than others, I definitely had least favorites, but I loved how you never knew what was next going into it.

And even without realizing you can quit and keep your progress, anyone could still just pop down a savestate to take a break and reload it. Yes, it's an unmarked gauntlet, but that makes it all the more satisfying to finally beat.

I did laugh that raocow just rushed the switch at the end though. I was so afraid of one final trap that I walked up to it really slowly haha
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

moogy wrote: 3 years ago So, is this the longest raocow video? If not, what is? I'm honestly curious now, lol.
I believe it was determined in the spotzone some time ago that this is currently the longest raocow video, and that's still the case.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

This level could've been it's own game. That's amazing.

Also, raocow refusing to go further below while looking for the 20 coin door is one of the few times I almost literally screamed at my screen. rao...
ImageImage
idol
its only scary if its wet
First name: idol

Post by idol »

i came up with the idea of making ysp long as hell because i thought itd be funny if a regular innocuous level turned out to be a gauntlet

i think it turned out funny as fuck
Bean
Yep.

Post by Bean »

raocow wrote: 3 years agowell, if you watch it in parts you'll have a video for every meal :O
Nah. You get that ad money all in one go or one and done here. Totally let it run in the background in spots and kept checking back in to see how it was still going. That was a level, all right. You almost accidentally selected exit near the end, too, and I would've flipped almost as much as you had you have done that.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Bean wrote: 3 years ago
raocow wrote: 3 years agowell, if you watch it in parts you'll have a video for every meal :O
Nah. You get that ad money all in one go or one and done here. Totally let it run in the background in spots and kept checking back in to see how it was still going. That was a level, all right. You almost accidentally selected exit near the end, too, and I would've flipped almost as much as you had you have done that.
raocow won't get ad money because of copyright claim.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

idol wrote: 3 years ago i came up with the idea of making ysp long as hell because i thought itd be funny if a regular innocuous level turned out to be a gauntlet

i think it turned out funny as fuck
u were rite

cave level was a bit too smwcp from the looks of things. maybe ill disagree if i play it but it does look like it has that same feel of the michael jackson's moonwalker cave level and just as confusing in terms of level design. thanks for not limiting coin counts tho @ author.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

This was too long for me to watch during breakfast or even lunch, so I'm eagerly anticipating getting off work so I can have my uninterrupted raocow time. I'm glad you decided to do the entire level in one episode to preserve the true experience of the level. It was long, but every segment was fun. I expect you had a good time.