(shouting)

YUMP2 - Marginal Consciousness

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
helucard

Re: YUMP 2 - 1 - Tulips or Roses?

Post by helucard »

Oh boy, this is starting out wild already. Best of luck rao.

Also, you appear to have a mild case of death amnesia, your first death was to a gargantuan bullet at the start of level 1, not to the red hot dino rhino fino lino bino- (how do you say that so easily?)
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Aaaaaaaahhhh yesss swingin' from the fences right from the start

big huge men 3 is hilarious with its Tera Bill usage and Flaming Hot Dinos is just a very good technical precision level.
Graphics Settings is going to be a nice surprise for tomorrow, so please leave it secret for the good little boys and girls. You can post it on like discordhaus if u want tho i wont stop u

I'm entirely blind past this, only saw FPzero's C3 stream, so.

Be Excellent To Each Other, even in the face of punishing level design!

Grounder wrote:Please don't romanticize YUMP 38.
gay sht was necessary for a level making fun of youtube levels, which includes shit kaizo (クソかい if u will) made for people like azureblade and protonjon to play.

I know you're joking but like raocow is an artist himself, he knows what he's talking about. And honestly as an amateur gamedev and an amateur artist, I agree.

xfix wrote:
KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago This file contains crude language. Discretion is advised.
This feature was in fact implemented specifically for YUMP 2 because the hack moderator wanted to mark this hack as "mature content" because of

weed, alcohol and profanities

. "Mature content" tag on SMW Central means age gate (18+) and registration requirement, which JUMP Team felt is too strict for this hack, so as a compromise a feature was implemented that would provide a content warning without checking for age.
That's honestly what I'd do for most 18+ hacks but like, SMWC has an absurd amount of underage members which makes "taking age ratings seriously" a thing.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago
Grounder wrote:Please don't romanticize YUMP 38.
gay sht was necessary for a level making fun of youtube levels, which includes shit kaizo (クソかい if u will) made for people like azureblade and protonjon to play.

I know you're joking but like raocow is an artist himself, he knows what he's talking about. And honestly as an amateur gamedev and an amateur artist, I agree.
I'm fairly serious. Deliberately being shit doesn't absolve it from being as such. It's also mandatory to beat the game IIRC. It isn't necessarily the creator's fault that it's placed there (I don't remember who made the overworld) but it is where it is, and it's no fun to play.

EDIT: it is not mandatory, I misremembered
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Grounder wrote: 3 years ago I'm fairly serious. Deliberately being shit doesn't absolve it from being as such. It's also mandatory to beat the game IIRC. It isn't necessarily the creator's fault that it's placed there (I don't remember who made the overworld) but it is where it is, and it's no fun to play.
I don't know what to say other than, let raocow have his opinions. It is also a completely optional level, being unlocked from a red dot. (nvm ninja'd) Getting mad at a youtube level, deliberately designed to be a youtube level is letting the game defeat you. It'd be like getting mad at a stage making fun of Brutal Mario for having bad level design. Of course, you can say it's bad but honestly, what is the point of criticism of a level like this if it's deliberately designed to mock the player? It's like calling out IWBTG for being too hard. I guess you could make the conclusion that IWBTG tries to be competently designed as a game, but if you're gonna call out GAY SHT for being poorly designed, you'd have to call out roughly 75% of YUMP 1 as well. It's completely pointless.
Image Image
helucard

Post by helucard »

KobaBeach wrote: 3 years ago gay sht was necessary for a level making fun of youtube levels, which includes shit kaizo (クソかい if u will) made for people like azureblade and protonjon to play.
Yeah, this is similar to a stance I had when it was brought up in Discordhaus. As a representation of this kind of stuff, it's designed to be the worst it can possibly be. It doesn't make it fun or enjoyable by any standard but that's entirely the point. My exact quote is below.
It's INFURIATING, sure, downright cataclysmic for a person's willpower, and let's be real, it's the epitome of the worst traits of mario romhacking. This is not art to be admired. The two things do not always go hand in hand. (I also jokily added a note of it being the principle behind propaganda, though the way I said it doesn't really convey that I'm joking very well.)
Something to keep in mind though is that the interpretation of art is subjective. You can see it as it plainly is - it's a terrible level with no thought or nuance, just a highly demanding, rage inducing slog. Its meaning is not apparent. There's no plaque to the side saying "Here is my interpretation--" or whatever. It's a level in an otherwise enjoyable romhack and it stands out like a sore thumb that frankly insults the very bits and bytes it consumes merely to exist. The "Artistic Expression" here is that it is the very definition of what NOT to do. And it does a fantastic job of representing that. Just because something is art with a purpose doesn't mean everyone, or frankly anyone, wants to see it.

I'm going to thank Ano0maly for bringing this up - we know rao's stance on Yump 38. He's absolutely not a fan.
Worst Mario Level nomination
Art is not synonymous with Acceptable.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: YUMP2 - 1 - Tulips or Roses?

Post by ano0maly »

Guys we know his position on that level so don't worry

Although, his mood lightened up about it after seeing it parodied in that one-off level hack, so that may be why he is now able to joke about it.

Wow ninjad by someone plaigirising from me great job helucard
Validon98
Echoing Birdsong
Pronouns: they/them

Post by Validon98 »

I think we should maybe not go on yet another tirade about that level because uh, it's been covered, for one, and for two, the gist of it is more "it's artistic in how brutally unfun a single screen level can be made and cause that sheer amount of frustration," we can move on from that please and maybe look at the thing in front of us that is not that.

That said I've been having troubles processing the whole "can you have an opinion on something meant to fly in the face of the "rules" you have learned to understand in regards to "good game design," and "is it possible to even remotely critique it, but in an actually constructive way and not just being unnecessarily mean to the people who created them, like have an actual civil discussion about what it does and whether it's enjoyable or not and not just call it bad dumb garbage or be all entitled about it or whatever." Is that possible? I guess no since it's kinda like, made by an author for an author sort of deal so if the public consumes it whatever they think doesn't really matter? I dunno, it feels awkward having an opinion at all.
Because Touhou OCs can in fact exist, sounds fake I know.

I can't change my username but I go by Vali/Claire now (aka call me Vali or Claire at your leisure ^^).

I never update this currently playing section anymore, it's probably an RPG or something.

Strawberry Bose Partial Translations and Patches!
helucard

Post by helucard »

My apologies Ano, regardless of whether or not you're joking. Doing that kinda goes toward removing a person from being able to contribute to a discussion directly. I'll be more careful. ^^;;;
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

no sweat
:pily:
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

yump is the best (and worst) hack ive ever seen. this too is perfect so far. and rao's video introducing it is super based in terms of connecting with my thought process

also you should all throw away your ideas of arbitrary/systemized "good" and "bad" from your poisoned gamer minds. all we have as human beings are our own thoughts.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
KobaBeach

Post by KobaBeach »

Leet wrote: 3 years ago also you should all throw away your ideas of arbitrary/systemized "good" and "bad" from your poisoned gamer minds. all we have as human beings are our own thoughts.
sometimes i have problems with your recent posts but every now and then you just hit it out of the park with a good passage from your holy book of konaka and suda 51 and im just like "he,ll yaeh that a quotse"

which is to say i agree

i feel like every hack should be a sort of anarchist experiment. throw away all rules and cater to yourself. focus on making yourself happy. express yourself. in a way indie dev should be that way too. Akitoshi Kawazu and Yoko Taro's work are probably the closest to something like that in the Triple A sphere (as triple a as saga can be honestly) and i respect em a fuckton for that.

im not calling for endless difficulty fests, but if that's your thing, that's fine. i just want more games that feel like they have a soul to them y'know. even if they're "bad", if leet will allow me to use that denominator.
Image Image
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

all discourse aside, i'm excited enough that i am willingly escaping my cave of discord hermitry and actually posting on the forum, just to say how excited i am right now

this is gonna be a thing and if it turns into a train wreck i am still going to stare at that train wreck and so are most of us

let the fun times begin :serac:
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
TiKi

Re: YUMP 2 - 4′33″

Post by TiKi »

Leet wrote: 3 years ago Oh my god YCZ i havent seen you post anywhere in years
They were busy making sideways Thwomp Boss
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I was lied to by the thread title. This isn't a silent hack at all
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Cyril wrote: 3 years ago I was lied to by the thread title. This isn't a silent hack at all
John Cage wrote:There's no such thing as silence.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

I already love the first post gimmick
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

Just popping in to say that "Nintendo resents" is a cute 2 second gag.

Also it's good that iteration time between deaths is reduced about as much as is feasible.

Also the fact that level 2 (or 3 I guess) being...like that is probably not a good omen. Like it was amazing, but also it's not a good omen.
WhimWidget
WhimWhimWhimWhimWhim
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by WhimWidget »

raocow wrote: 3 years ago I already love the first post gimmick
Yeah! :reimuko:

Likely episodes by row, stages by column (not timestamped in episode).

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

ROLLING STAAAAAAAAAAART!!!

Also, if we go by the game's logo, it's called Y・UMP
ImageImage
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

The dino level especially rings true to my heart. Last year in college, there was a pothole near the sidewalk that I walked on every day to get to campus. A few people in my dorm, as well as I, got splashed by water when cars drove on it. I named it the SPLOOSH and almost wrote a term paper on its importance.

The level uses the water glasses in a creative and satisfying way, and also the sound effect is great. iirc we had to choose between several different sound effects.
Mosts Awards:
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I'm wondering if raocow watched the RLM boomer fight video because that featured Mike making an inaccurate "beam me up Scotty" reference and then today raocow made an inaccurate "beam me up Scotty" reference and attributed it to "wheel of the worst" which is another RLM series
Koopster
judge of u

Post by Koopster »

I'm so excited for this!!! I wasn't watching vip6 cause I wanted to stay blind and play it myself eventually (in the end I probably won't, though). it's nice to have a daily dose of raocow again, especially with a game I enjoyed so much watching be developed as well as playing, and made minor contributions for.

I'm eager to see how the kaizo levels play out. a lot of stuff definitely requires grinding, and some stuff (postgame) is a tad beyond what I'd personally enjoy grinding, lol. nevertheless, I truly hope you have fun with yump2.

and I can't help but fondly remember when raocow was asked to not play 1F8 in JUMP because it was too hard/kaizo.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Piesonscreations wrote: 3 years ago Also, if we go by the game's logo, it's called Y・UMP
Oh good, Angel Hernandez representation
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
yoshicookiezeus
Help! pawprint

Re: YUMP 2 - 4′33″

Post by yoshicookiezeus »

Well this is certainly starting off with a bang. I was already going “oh this is neat” at the first half of the Dino-Rhino level, and then the second half happened. I always enjoy seeing just how well these types of level flow when you finally manage to fit everything together for the winning run.

Also I’m slightly surprised SMW can even handle the amount of sprite tiles needed for that huge Banzai Bill in the first level.
TiKi wrote: 3 years ago
Leet wrote: 3 years ago Oh my god YCZ i havent seen you post anywhere in years
They were busy making sideways Thwomp Boss
It kind of amuses me how that thing has apparently become my legacy; it must have been over ten years since I coded the thing, and it still keeps popping up every now and again, like in that one room in the final VIP6 video. Still, it feels kind of nice to know that people are still getting use out of your work.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

if you want to have the "chapters" show up in the progress bar you have to have a 0:00 timestamp for some reason
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.