(shouting)

Katamari Damacy REROLL - Katamari Mambo de, lalala yowasete raocow!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Grounder

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - Sore wa sukimakazefuku koharubiyori no koro deshita?

Post by Grounder »

so by this point it's abundantly clear that stairs and stair adjacent geometry in KD were mistakes
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - Yume o miru yo na kono sekai, minna makikome katamari!

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I'm pretty sure the two watermelons rolling on the beach were twins, but you completely ignored them on the last run.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - Yume o miru yo na kono sekai, minna makikome katamari!

Post by Alice »

I wonder if your starting diameter being 88.8cm on the twins level was just a coincidence or if it was actually intended to be double 44.4cm.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I think it's the whole 88 thing in Asian numerology.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

I like how the prince gets a snorkel while underwater, as if he doesn't live in space.
ImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

These videos are hard to watch because my attention keeps switching between the katamari and the collected objects on the lower-left, and I don't know which to look at.

At least I got to listen to the pleasant song in the last segment while there was prolonged silence. It was to the point that the short moments of commentary felt out of place.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

In general I'd recommend looking at the katamari. This level in particular could be harder to follow because you need to see the collected objects to know if the thing he just picked up is a twin, but for the rest, there's no critical info.

As a player you'd mainly want to check it if you were aiming to complete your collection or name list and wanted to be sure you got a specific item. In this level, if you were just learning it you'd probably also check to confirm whether or not what you rolled up was a twin, but if you were going for a high percentage you'd probably focus more on learning the locations of twins and not bother checking the collection display.
jasper_

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - ooh! makikonde! ah! kuttsuite! payapa! katamatte!

Post by jasper_ »

General_Urist wrote: 3 years ago Omigosh this is AWESOME! Only flaw is that it can't show the weird trajectories stuff sometimes flies around on. When did you make this, out of curiosity?

Any chance that site will include the other Katamari games in the future?
Katamari Damacy was added to noclip.website in April 2019 or so, after a lot of reverse engineering by two others (Murugo and umbreon), and I. I'd love to get object paths & animations added to the site, but nobody has been able to figure out those pieces (yet! A few people have been poking at it lately!)

Someone's been poking at getting We Love Katamari added, but nothing conclusive yet I don't think. Here's a random screenshot they sent a few days ago https://i.imgur.com/kRcZipU.jpg

Also if you want a fun fact, we found that some objects are randomized. I think this is MAS2? The rice bowl here can either be a red or a blue bowl. If you spot a collection of random objects in a corner or underground somewhere on the site, that's just where random objects are stored before one of them is placed in the right spot.

raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

man, ursa major is pretty infamous for a reason huh
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Yeeeeeeep

It is the worst

It took me...a week on and off to get the right bear?

I mean, this level

and Make Taurus

is a very interesting and clever idea: Instead of gathering as many X as you can, it becomes "Find the Biggest X." Moreover, by switching this objective and changing the layout so that getting any type of X triggers the end of a level, you've completely changed the game's dynamics so that you have to now closely pay attention to what's around you rather than just going about wantonly. It turns into an obstacle course, which is really neat.

The problem is the execution:
  1. KD's controls aren't particularly great for precise movement, which means it's extremely easy to screw up just because you lost control of the katamari at just the wrong moment.
  2. The instant end-of-level effect means resetting takes way too much time when you screw up.
  3. It's not immediately 100% clear what the biggest X is.

This becomes a problem in Make Taurus because the biggest cow is actually hidden and requires a very arbitrary method of reaching it.

4. In the case of Make Ursa Major, there's the additional problem of the biggest bear

being a rocket bear that not only wrecks you if you get in its way, but immediately panics and turns around when you get big enough to capture it, and simply moves too fast to capture normally

. This presents a new problem with the controls in that

you must use the dash to capture the Rocket Bear, which as we have seen, is a very finicky and awkward move to perform, and you have to do so in a way that doesn't cause you to immediately hit another bear object on accident

All in all, it's terrible. I don't blame your dismay.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - Sunete mita, ochikonda, kuyashiku natte to koto n naite mita :(

Post by Piesonscreations »

The Skater Boy sounds like Luigi in the original Mario Party games.
ImageImage
Grounder

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - Sunete mita, ochikonda, kuyashiku natte to koto n naite mita :(

Post by Grounder »

Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

i wanted to avoid that bear so i got despair instead
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

BEEAARR!!

So this level is quite a thing, although going into it the first time I was amused when I started the level, and then it ended a mere five seconds later when, not knowing about the gimmick, I casually rolled up a bear. I did go back and do some more attempts to get a better bear, but I think I also ended up settling for just a medium sized bear.

kitikami

Post by kitikami »

This level is basically "The Goal is Already Before our Eyes?" from VIP 1 or "Red Koopa's Sparkling Red Death" from ASMT except you don't actually have to win (but in exchange you can barely control yourself).
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

very well told
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Crow

Post by Crow »

wow the ASMT LP was over 10 years ago :monstrosity:
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

I'd probably say

Make Taurus

is the worse of the two, but Ursa Major can be super stressful and frustrating due to the constant car traffic (and how far they make you fly). Though they're both much easier than

Cowbear

in the next game. Thankfully you can quickly skip through the King's dialogue after every attempt.

Make Gemini is probably my least favorite Constellation stage, and the only one I've never completed.

thatguyif wrote:It's not immediately 100% clear what the biggest X is.

This becomes a problem in Make Taurus because the biggest cow is actually hidden and requires a very arbitrary method of reaching it.

I know there's two different Holy Cows in the stage, though which one are you referring to? One of them is hidden in a small forest but while it's a pain to get to come out, you just have to roll up the hill to it once you're big enough. Granted it's a leap of faith after that but at least getting there is pretty easy.

Yoshi Ambassador!
Nast

Post by Nast »

I like how the King is extremely picky over the definition of twins but any bear is a bear.
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Karatekid5 wrote: 3 years ago spoilery stuff about a level
The other one, in the starter village for many of the world levels so far (with the garden clock). That one has its main entry blocked by a giant daruma, and the way the outside is shaped means you can't just vaunt over the wall. The solution is to basically head up to the television station (which has rolling plates in the bridge leading up to it that can send you careening into the valley of cow signs) and then roll off the hill into the village below. But that's not an obvious solution, especially not one that raocow (with all due respect) would figure out, and the closed-off nature of the village means you have to be at the right size before you go down there.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - (*Insert Flaming Lips music here*)

Post by Grounder »

nananananananana
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

Grounder wrote: 3 years ago banananananananana
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

In this episode, raocow conquers his not-so-eternal menace, the PALM TREE!

I had to deal with the Cowbear level in Touch My Katamari, somehow I managed that without going insane. But perhaps the PS Vita affords a slightly finer degree of control than the original game.
Crow

Post by Crow »

tomorrow, raocow must face himself