(shouting)

Katamari Damacy REROLL - Katamari Mambo de, lalala yowasete raocow!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kleetus
Contrary to popular belief, dying is NOT cool.

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - you. are. smart.

Post by Kleetus »

I was thinking about commenting on how people don't seem to react to a giant ball of mater rolling through the streets collecting everyone and everything in its path, but this is also the same world where magnets and orange juice and handcuffs are left all over the road. Clearly people are just either very unperceptive, or very apathetic in the Katamariverse.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

I know that I'm questioning Katamary Damacy of all things, but why are there poisonous frogs just kind of hanging around in a Japanese city?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

I don't know but the King of All Cosmos is probably somehow responsible.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

raocow you really gotta pay more attention to the people you're trying to roll up. You constantly hit people and knock them over then keep on going without bothering to roll them up. (Thus repeating the same steps on your next loop making it take longer to inflate your Katamari.)
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

Kleetus wrote: 3 years ago I was thinking about commenting on how people don't seem to react to a giant ball of mater rolling through the streets collecting everyone and everything in its path, but this is also the same world where magnets and orange juice and handcuffs are left all over the road. Clearly people are just either very unperceptive, or very apathetic in the Katamariverse.
It depends on the Katamari's size, they will look shocked and flee if the Katamari is big enough to pick them up.
Yoshi Ambassador!
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Grounder wrote: 3 years ago I know that I'm questioning Katamary Damacy of all things, but why are there poisonous frogs just kind of hanging around in a Japanese city?
Same reason trees hang out in a city. We just haven't managed to kill them yet.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Nast

Post by Nast »

I don't remember We Love Katamari having situations like that where you get stuck on the level geometry, or feeling so claustrophobic in general. I guess the first game had some growing pains.

Very fun playthrough so far :catplanet2:
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

the game made a serious mistake by making that cute scarf the first gift
I never want to take it off.
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

it made the absolute best choice, allowing you to wear the cute scarf the whole game
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Oh no.

No! raocow! don't! stop! don't make corona!!!! :monstrosity:
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - Yorisoi nagara anata wo mitsume sou yubisaki dakede

Post by Piesonscreations »

We are all royalty now.
ImageImage
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - Yorisoi nagara anata wo mitsume sou yubisaki dakede

Post by Leet »

Make Cancer
Make Corona
Wh-what could possibly come next????
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
strongbadman

Post by strongbadman »

A-

Corona Borealis. At this time of year, at this time of day, in this part of the country, localized entirely within your Katamari?!
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Yes!

Anyway, songs. The one played yesterday is a personal favorite of mine, Roll Me In (In Japan, Katamaritaino). It's definitely a J-Pop song to some degree, but there's a lot of these little elements in the song that remind me of 60s pop, mainly ye-ye and bossa nova. It's really good stuff. Referring back to a theme mentioned earlier, the lead singer in this track is Yui Asaka, a J-Pop star and idol from the late 80s and early 90s, likely during the time Keita Takahashi (the creator of Katamari Damacy) was growing up.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - ooh! makikonde! ah! kuttsuite! payapa! katamatte!

Post by Reecer7 »

you should be able to tell rare things, ie things that only appear in one stage, by the fact that when you pick them up, they have a rainbow name instead of a regular white one.

also dang, good job with those speed comets
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
jasper_

Post by jasper_ »

now that raocow has seen all the stages, gonna link this thing i made a bit ago that lets you explore the katamari levels in a browser. click here, i promise it's not a virus

this game has so many tiny secrets and details, i love it so so much
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

I opened it up and it defaulted to Make Gemini, one of my least favorite stages xD (the only stage I haven't gotten 100% on).

Either way this website is super cool! Does it have maps for every game or just the first?
Yoshi Ambassador!
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

If you look very carefully, when you pick up the first gasoline pump, you can see the konbini employee sigh, roll his eyes, walk outside, and push the emergency gas pump stop button, then walk back inside and call the police/fire departments.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

jasper_ wrote: 3 years ago now that raocow has seen all the stages, gonna link this thing i made a bit ago that lets you explore the katamari levels in a browser. click here, i promise it's not a virus

I linked that a page ago, it's awesome! I got really into figuring out how Katamari divides up the levels to only load in so many objects at a time.

I had no idea its creator was here! I found it in an old reddit thread when googling for maps of the levels. What a cool coincidence!
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

it's weird; the number of levels where things actually unload as you get bigger seem like they're in the minority? even in the biggest stage, all of the tiny pineapples are still there when you're clearly meant to be giant.

also woah was very shocked to see elebits was one of the few games you put on there, because it's so relatively obscure but been on my mind a little recently (because of katamari; they've got comparable progression) and i was like "hey there's no chance but what if this were here" and it was
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
kitikami

Post by kitikami »

How did raocow collect more vegetable things and more flower things than plant things?
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Because there's more of them?

So, Katamari Mambo (katamari syndrome Re-Mix) is a rather...bawdy song. It's a fun little diddy that starts out with some guy trying to excuse himself out of a song, only to realize nobody's asking for him. Then Nobue Matsubara (a famous enka singer from the 80s and 90s, continuing a theme) sings a very lewd first verse filled with innuendos involving a katamari and what it does. The chorus uses a judo move as a euphemism for...something, and then concludes with them singing "let's get the Prince drunk!" It's a goofy song that plays with contrasts: an enka singer talking dirty, spoken-word bits that lead nowhere, a scat-based bridge with a surprise mute trumpet solo, a mambo that isn't, the fact that it's a "remix" (even though nobody has heard the original). It definitely feels like a lot of goofing off in the studio happened with this one.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

jasper_ wrote: 3 years ago now that raocow has seen all the stages, gonna link this thing i made a bit ago that lets you explore the katamari levels in a browser. click here, i promise it's not a virus

Omigosh this is AWESOME! Only flaw is that it can't show the weird trajectories stuff sometimes flies around on. When did you make this, out of curiosity?

Any chance that site will include the other Katamari games in the future?
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Oh, that's very neat! Dito did mention it, but it's nice seeing the creator of the thing here. Since you probably ripped the models for all these things, it'd be super cool if you could upload them to The Models Resource, if you have the time (and want to, of course.) There's nothing for most of the Katamari games.
ImageImage
thatguyif

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - Sore wa sukimakazefuku koharubiyori no koro deshita?

Post by thatguyif »

I got to say, a lot of cool stuff on here. Hey Piesoncreations, any chance you can make that Demo Katamari a GIF? Want to post it on the lead post.

Anyway, meant to mention this yesterday, but now that raocow's finally done it, we can discuss Shooting Stars. These can be earned by getting to the size requirement by a certain amount of time on any of the Make A Star levels, and can be viewed by pressing the relevant button on your controller or keyboard. Here is a table of the times to beat for the levels done so far:
  • Make A Star 1: 1 minute
  • Make A Star 2: 3 minutes
  • Make A Star 3: 4 minutes
  • Make A Star 4: 6:15 (raocow got really close on this one)
  • Make A Star 5: 8 minutes
  • Make A Star 6: 8 minutes
Another thing to bring up is high scores (aka make the King happy) both for Make A Star and Make A Constellation (i.e. gimmicks) levels. The Make A Star levels have a pretty consistent flavor text for each. There are three tiers of speech: Making the minimum threshold, adding a significant amount above the minimum, hitting a high score threshold.

Minimum:
King of All Cosmos wrote:It's XmXcmXmm. It's OK, but you can do better. Well, since you're the Prince, you should do much, much better.
Bigger:
King of All Cosmos wrote:XmXcmXmm, hmm. It's pretty big. We imagine it'll make a pretty star. If it were Ours, We'd make it much bigger.
High Score:
King of All Cosmos wrote:XmXcmXmm!!! We are moved to tears by the size of this thing. This is so incredible! Happy, happy, so happy. We want to turn this into a star right now!
There's not really a significant difference visually in the Constellations screen.

Now, each of the Make A Constellation levels has their own speeches depending on how well you did (and, yes, there are failure states for these levels). There's too many of them, so I won't go into them. However, one way you can tell how well you did is in the resulting constellation. The more stars lit up green in the constellation, the better you did, with the best score having all the stars lit up. The scores vary for getting the high-water mark. That said, later constellations will require much higher thresholds.

Also, one last thing before I get into the song: raocow, note that if you return to a level after already grabbing the Royal Present from that level, the King's introductory speech will change to reflect that. They tend to be pretty funny.

Anyway, song! Cherry Tree Times (also known as さくらいろの季節, Sakura Color Season) is, yes, the mandatory children's choir song. But it's an interesting case of contrasts, again, if only because of the lyrical content. It's a kid waxing nostalgic of a time when he was happy to be satisfied by the little things (ちいさなこと, chiisana koto). Kind of sad really.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image