(shouting)

Katamari Damacy REROLL - Katamari Mambo de, lalala yowasete raocow!

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Katamari Damacy REROLL - Katamari Mambo de, lalala yowasete raocow!

Post by thatguyif »

Oh boy. Oh boy oh boy oh boy.

I remember back in late 2004 hearing about Katamari Damacy. I thought it was weird as all get out, and for that I had to have it. I remember going to a GameStop in my hometown over Christmas break (this was my first year of college, before I transferred/moved to a city), and trying to pick it up. The cashier demanded an ID for some reason even though it was rated E back then. It was weird, and fit well with the situation. I played through it twice over the winter break, loved every second of it. I eventually bought the sequel, We ❤ Katamari, a year or two later, when I was living in a city. I remember my first non-dorm college roommate being a big fan of the original soundtrack and playing it all the time while she smoked weed and brought her friends in everyday for some thing or another. It was good times. I still think of the game fondly.

So back in 2018, Namco re-released Katamari Damacy in a partial remaster called Katamari Damacy REROLL, for PC and the Nintendo Switch. I got it about 4 months after release. Modern me having trouble playing on a consistent schedule and staying on one game, I didn't finish until about 11 months later. That said, when raocow posted it in his first patapon Public Vote, I wished at the time I had 500 votes so to assure it would played. Regardless, I'm grateful that this is the first game to be played under the new Public Vote system.

I'm going to enjoy raocow's playthrough of this. I'll post occasional comments about the game (and remake) itself, though my main commentary will be about the music. Because it's the greatest...

1 - short screw snacks
2 - stationary pushpin
3 - fabulous onigiri (rice ball)
4 - playtime magnet
5 - pushpin games
6 - graceful quail chick
7 - japanese food | small takoyaki
8 - gorgeous hamburger
9 - hard vegetables hat
10 - fresh huge snapper
11 - mysterious rooster (younger brother)
12 - missing kettle
13 - banana bunch ⬿ fruit
14 - wishy-washy turkey
15 - strawberry plants 🍓
16 - pretty ∧ precious
17 - plants megaphone
18 - preposterous watermelon boy
19 - daruma plants
19.5 - daikon telephone plants
20 - pachinko ball games
Last edited by thatguyif 3 years ago, edited 22 times in total.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - Na naaa, na-na-na na-na na na, na naa na na na na duedidi duedidi duedi

Post by raocow »

I forgot how wild the intro is
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - Na naaa, na-na-na na-na na na, na naa na na na na duedidi duedidi duedi

Post by Crow »

Bigger Than Before!
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - Na naaa, na-na-na na-na na na, na naa na na na na-na na na na na na naaaa

Post by Grounder »

can't wait for the randomly 50-60 minute flower episode
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
thatguyif

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - Na naaa, na-na-na na-na na na, na naa na na na na-na na na na na na naaaa

Post by thatguyif »

Wow...that intro was special

:catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet: :catplanet2: :catplanet:

Katamari Damacy REROLL is more or less a remaster of the original game. They updated the screen and textures from 4:3 480p PS2 rez to 16:9 1080p rez, among other small changes. The Switch version also enables motion control using the Joy-Cons. But other than that, there's really nothing new.

So a rather interesting fact about both the original and remake: The Japanese version of the game makes much more explicit why the King of All Cosmos destroyed the night sky. In short, he got sloshed. It's likely this reference was dropped in North America because back then they didn't have E10 ratings and referencing alcohol would likely merit a T rating. (Though...reading it now...the whole bit that I will not mention directly because for some reason mods made a word a dumb emoji sounds like it could have completely different context)
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

It's worth noting that the game was originally made on the PS2, where the analog sticks are symmetrically placed. The weird control scheme makes slightly more sense this way - I imagine it's more awkward making the movements with an X-Box controller.

This is not to say it wasn't weird on the original, just more understandable why they made the decision.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Oh man it's this game! Seeing raocow play through this ought to be a fun time. I remember seeing a playthrough of this a long time ago, and since then I had always been interested in playing it myself, but I mostly only had Nintendo consoles so that wasn't a possibility. That is, until the remake came out. Now I've actually played it, and I had a lot of fun doing so. And as a bonus it had been so long since I saw that playthrough that I got to experience it pretty much blind.

Also, this game is really loud by default, and the first time I played this it was really late at night; when I heard the intro start blaring I immediately grabbed the TV remote and lowered the volume, fearing that the loudness might have woken up people that were trying to sleep (fortunately that wasn't the case). Although even with the volume at one it still felt too loud until I was able to adjust the volume in game. (I wish TVs would have a quiet mode for fine tuning the volume on the quieter end of things, but alas I just have to deal with things like this from time to time.)

Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

The only true way to play this game is with the Steel Batallion controller.

Also, expecting this game to out-raocow raocow.
ImageImage
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I sure hope that the King of All Cosmos doesn't go anywhere near Pop Star where Kirby lives because ooh boy he doesn't look safe to be around
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

Been looking forward to this! I've played every main series game aside from the two handheld ones (Me & My Katamari; Touch My Katamari), and it always makes me happy to see others enjoying it as well!

This game has a little less in terms of gimmick stages than We Love Katamari does, but there's still plenty of variety, and plenty of fun!

Are you planning to 100% the constellation collection stages?
Yoshi Ambassador!
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

YEAH FINALLY! I love this game
General_Urist

Post by General_Urist »

This is probably among the most "raocow" games out there! It seemed to cause a rather hazardous feedback loop in the intro movie. This is going to be fun (-:

The first Katamari game I played was actually Beautiful Katamari for the X360, so I had to get used to offset analog sticks from the very start.
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

General_Urist wrote: 3 years ago This is probably among the most "raocow" games out there! It seemed to cause a rather hazardous feedback loop in the intro movie. This is going to be fun (-:

The first Katamari game I played was actually Beautiful Katamari for the X360, so I had to get used to offset analog sticks from the very start.
Same here! It feels bizarre at first but the Switch sticks still feel a little less off than the 360 ones.
Yoshi Ambassador!
thatguyif

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - Check it up, funk it up, minna damatte ore ni tsuite koi, yeah

Post by thatguyif »

So today's video brought up an interesting development about the remake: They did drop the English dub. Which is weird because...I mean, it was adequate:

No reason was given.

But yeah, Make A Star 2, you actually stumbled on a hidden mark: The high score. Basically, the game's Make a Star levels score you on size and time. For the most part,

except for three levels

, the result for a big katamari is what you got: An amazed King being spellbound by your Katamari. Time...well, that's for another day.

Anyway, the track for this level is The Moon & The Prince. This hip hop track makes me laugh. Basically it's a song from the Prince's perspective on how he's rolling, with the lyrics trying to showcase him being a leader (the subject line basically translates to "Check it up, funk it up, everyone just shut up and follow me, yeah"). At the same time, you can't take it seriously, because it kind of just sounds like a couple salarymen trying to rap. Their flow is...eh? And yet that's what makes the track work: It kind of shows that the Prince is not entirely someone to be taken seriously, which matches with the narrative the King is pushing.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ivy
Pronouns: any
https://ivy.talkhaus.com/

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - Check it up, funk it up, minna damatte ore ni tsuite koi, yeah

Post by Ivy »

I wonder why the game consistently misspells "stationery"? Was it the same way in the original English version as well?
3DS FC: 2793-0650-7690 | Switch: SW-2766-9108-9399 | Steam: ivysaur1996 (ivy)
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Magnets are the centrepiece of all psuedoscience. Therefore, they are in the garden to improve plant health.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

"But I have crabs, though." - Samuel "raocow" Tanguay, 2020
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Karatekid5
Welcome to the resort!

Post by Karatekid5 »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago Anyway, the track for this level is The Moon & The Prince. This hip hop track makes me laugh. Basically it's a song from the Prince's perspective on how he's rolling, with the lyrics trying to showcase him being a leader (the subject line basically translates to "Check it up, funk it up, everyone just shut up and follow me, yeah").

Surprised they dropped the English dub. While the family speaking Japanese in all versions is certainly immersive, there was certainly no reason to drop the dub. Maybe it had something to do with the voice acting rights? I know they left some text untranslated in the outro as well ("Prince of Ouji", etc).

Also the Prince was a pretty effective leader in Katamari Forever, all things considered!
Yoshi Ambassador!
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - hiroi TOKO wa kirai semai no ga suki

Post by Reecer7 »

it's so messed up you don't even have the option of the dub in this. it ain't katamari damacy game 1 without feeling the cosmos!

if i remember correctly, each set of letters in namco ("NA-M-CO") counts as a separate object in your collection, because you roll it up when you start the game. so, to get 100% completion, you kind of need to save in every save slot!
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - hiroi TOKO wa kirai semai no ga suki

Post by raocow »

Reecer7 wrote: 3 years ago it's so messed up you don't even have the option of the dub in this. it ain't katamari damacy game 1 without feeling the cosmos!

if i remember correctly, each set of letters in namco ("NA-M-CO") counts as a separate object in your collection, because you roll it up when you start the game. so, to get 100% completion, you kind of need to save in every save slot!
ha, I remember that from the sequel!
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
thatguyif

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - hoshi ni negai wo kakeru toki, kimi ni o todoke katamari

Post by thatguyif »

I find it interesting that peeps said the game was nerfed. Granted, the fact that raocow high-scored on the first go-around this level should be a case for that argument, but it's worth noting

he hasn't gotten a fast time yet

. I also had a bit of a hard go with the game, though it's worth considering that I was playing with Joy-Cons on the Switch version, and I was definitely suffering drift towards the end of my initial playthrough.

I may use this LP as a means to play on Motion Controls, see what those are like. I'll let you know.

Something worth noting that's a distinct technical difference between the REROLL versions: The PC version seems to frontload the level right when you are speaking the King of All Cosmos, which is why there's this pause at the start, and then the level loads very quick right after that. The Switch version does not do this, retaining the original PS2 mechanism of loading the level after the King speaks to you. On its own, that doesn't seem like much of a big deal.

However, because of this, the PC version changed a key way the game is presented: In the original PS2 version, the game masked its level loading time by having the King of All Cosmos list all the things he was sending to Earth. It was one of those little details that made the original game really charming. The Switch version retains this little element, even going so far as to show the entirety of the list of things the King sent down. (One could argue it was hiding the Switch version's own loading issues, but that's another matter) On the other hand, the PC version simply loads the level at the earliest opportunity (right while the King is saying "Sending things to Earth...")

Stuff like this and other things I've observed in raocow's playthrough make me suspect the PC and Switch versions were developed by two separate teams, with the former going for optimization, and the latter seeking to retain the spirit/feel of the original PS2 version.

Anyway, I'll save my comments on yesterday's song for the next time it appears. For today, let's talk Gin & Tonic & Red Red Roses, aka A Crimson Rose and a Gin Tonic (真っ赤なバラとジントニック), which is today's song. This song sort of shows off the diversity of the soundtracks in this scat jazz style piece. But it also kind of shows the surprising amount of depth that went into the music for this game. It's very clear they got a couple jazz players into a studio and recorded this piece, and they were definitely having some fun with it. The professionalism on display here is impressive, to say the least.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
General_Urist

Re: Katamari Damacy REROLL - hoshi ni negai wo kakeru toki, kimi ni o todoke katamari

Post by General_Urist »

There's something just adorable about those times raocow begins singing along to the Katamari music.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

thatguyif wrote: 3 years ago I find it interesting that peeps said the game was nerfed. Granted, the fact that raocow high-scored on the first go-around this level should be a case for that argument, but it's worth noting

he hasn't gotten a fast time yet

If they just increased the time limits and didn't change any requirements this is totally consistent.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

The worst feeling I had in this game was when I played a level with a lengthy time limit and I still failed to finish it, which meant I'd have to put in just as much time to make another attempt. So I feel that time extensions are a bit of a double-edged sword in that regard; the chance of failure is lower, but the consequences of it are greater.

It probably makes things easier overall, but you're not going to appreciate that much if you're in the last minute of a level and way off from the requirement.
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

What is there to see or do in Portugal?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.