(shouting)

Half-Life 2 - Episode 2 - Unfamiliar Ceilings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Awoo
~wan~wan
Pronouns: he/him/his

Half-Life 2 - Episode 2 - Unfamiliar Ceilings

Post by Awoo »

Oh, man, is it time already? Released back in 2004, Half-Life 2 is one of the most renowned games of all time.

Super looking forward to seeing this play out. Good luck, raocow!

Half-Life 2 Half-Life 2: Lost Coast Half-Life 2: Episode 1 Half-Life 2: Episode 2
Last edited by Awoo 3 years ago, edited 67 times in total.
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: Half-Life 2 - Good Morning, Mr. raocow

Post by raocow »

good morning mr. awoo
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Just wanted to congratulate Minna for being the first Royal and selecting this as the first Royal game.

Excited to see where this goes :D
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Out of curiosity, what were Minna's other two choices?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years ago Out of curiosity, what were Minna's other two choices?
IIRC Bioshock and Mass Effect
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Ah, good to know :catplanet:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
WinterSweater
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by WinterSweater »

Rise and shine...
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

whotf is minna
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

The first Royal, Kilgamayan
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

some good training for sonic 06 today

i'm guessing that it's loading all of the area at one time, rather than in chunks relative to player position?
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Anyway, that was a beautiful start

For what it's worth, I played this once, to completion, oh...when it launched over 15 years ago? I have no intent on going back to that game, but it's going to be fun watching you play this with such...wonder

Also, Grounder, it's loading in chunks. But the way it was coded back then meant that even now, it would be slow to load the map.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

Man, I forgot how weird the megaman games got in the 2000's
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

thatguyif wrote: 4 years agoAlso, Grounder, it's loading in chunks. But the way it was coded back then meant that even now, it would be slow to load the map.
A better way to say what I meant is that it's loading area by area statically, rather than dynamically, as would probably be done now.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

this is blowing my mind.

it's a matter of preference, and obviously you have very little predefined preference, so it probably doesn't bug you or anything, but if you feel like moving your head is too slow and might hold you back with the quick twitch-button shooties in the future, def fiddle with mouse sensitivity in the options. i only say because i tend to play fpses as if i've had my neck replaced with a ball bearing :V

so wait, is how it works that a ℛℴ𝓎𝒶𝓁 just gets to pick 3 games out of the aether of their own volition, and then raocow must pick his poison of critically acclaimed fps released at least once in 2007? because that's pretty cool!
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

raocow has said that if your picks are all trolling or otherwise unreasonable he can veto them and you will be skipped, but yeah basically that's it
it also can't be "here's one game i really want you to play and two absolutely crap games i don't actually want you to play" because raocow will then pick one of the two absolutely crap games or something like that
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
Pronouns: she/her
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

oh wow these faces are incredible
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
AlchemistHohenheim

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

This will certainly be interesting to behold.

Like I'm not gonna lie, I have some concerns about how raocow's general commentary style will mesh with a more cinematic thing like this, but I'm interested in seeing how it turns out.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I was disappointed at first that raocow skipped the first arc of Half-Life but if he's seen it before that's ok.

But regardless,

- THE STORY SO FAR -

Gordon Freeman was a scientist working at the secret science company Black Mesa which was contracted by the US government to make science for them. Mostly he wore a hazardous materials suit and observed tests. Secretly though Black Mesa had made contact with another dimension called "Xen" and was retrieving objects and organisms from there to test them. One day they try to shoot lasers at a crystal they got from Xen, but it all goes wrong and triggers creatures from Xen to begin teleporting into the facility en masse.

In the aftermath of the accident Gordon Freeman tries to fight his way to the surface and help his fellow scientists (who were all just generic character models, but apparently included characters we're seeing in HL2 like Kliener and Eli). He fights creatures like the parasitic headcrabs and the slave race vortigaunts. The scientists have sent a request for help to the government and are hopeful that when the military arrives everything will be dealt with. PSYCHE! The military has actually been ordered to kill everyone on the premises to keep everything under wraps, so on top of the aliens Gordon is also being hunted down by his fellow man.

Gordon rendezvous with scientists at the Lambda Complex who are going to teleport him into Xen where maybe he can stop whatever is commanding the aliens. It turns out to be a giant H. R. Giger baby called the Nihilanth. Gordon murders it singlehandedly. After this victory, however, he is approached by the mysterious "G-Man" fellow who he's been seeing around the facility, who says he works for completely unknown higher powers and that they will be in need of Gordon's services again in the future. Gordon is placed into a kind of stasis, in which he remains until the events of today's video (so yes, he has no idea what's going on and thus neither does the player).

Also, the military themselves were taken out by even higher-level US assassins (except for Adrian Shepard, a guy who was also put into stasis but he isn't important) and Black Mesa was nuked. Also, Gordon had a security guard friend named Barney who also did some other stuff.

Final note: The Nihilanth was seen to speak to Gordon at times. Between the used clips and some unused clips, he seemed to warn about not trusting the G-Man, as well as referred to a mysterious "they" who had enslaved his people.
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

My power grows, Gordon.
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

I'm sure the enviroment artists would be pleased watching raocow play and interacting with everything.
This let's play will be interesting on like, a historical basis. There aren't many people raocow's age, who have been playing games for as long as he has, and with as little experience is this genre as he has.
Also, in a way, raocow seems to react more like how I'd expect a scientist to react to these situations that he's being put in, than what Gordon actually does. Then again, Gordon's been through some shit already.
ImageImage
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Set Filtering Mode to the lowest setting or "off" AKA, Point or Nearest Neighbor.
Turn on Wait For Vertical Sync.
You can turn off High Dynamic Range. It want even really used in the release HL2. And if they added stuff in, I'm not sure it helps much or adds to the game.
You can turn off Color Correction.
No idea what Windows Aero has to do with a fullscreen game.
If you want to waste some time, get out your favourite protractor and observe the angle from your eyes to the side edges of the monitor you're using.
That would be your optimal Field Of View.

The guy said to avoid checkpoints, but isn't every autosave a checkpoint?
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
TiKi

Post by TiKi »

What's a royal?
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

TiKi wrote: 4 years agoWhat's a royal?
Part of the new Patreon game-choosing system. Every other patreon-chosen game is a "public vote" and every other is a "royal pick". For the public vote, raocow offers five games and every patron gets to vote among them. For the royal pick, one randomly-selected patron gets to propose three games for raocow to choose between.

Minna was the first randomly-selected patron for the Royal Pick, and HL2 was one of the games he offered raocow. (The first voted game was "Mystery Box", which turned into Waku Waku 7.)
WinterSweater
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by WinterSweater »

That advice about turning corners while sidestepping is really good. I think I heard it too while playing Wolfenstein 3D
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

Oh my GOD, I am SOOOO hyped for this, you have no idea! When I saw "Half Life 2" on the COMING UP NEXT list I thought "Naaah there's no way that's THE Half-Life 2. Look, it's even written without a hyphen! Must be some mario hack with the same name."

But yet, here we are. This is unbelievable and it's going to be unbelievably good. Once I've watched raocow let's play Half-Life 2, I will have seen everything.

Anyway, raocow, of all the FPS games you could have chosen as your first one, this is probably the best choice. There is just so much good design here, starting with the tutorial.

MAN, this is gonna be great!
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.