(shouting)

Half-Life 2 - Episode 2 - Unfamiliar Ceilings

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
xnamkcor

Re: Half-Life 2 - Empty Space Out Of Control Part 2

Post by xnamkcor »

raocow said his SMG was a semi-auto.

It's now canon that John Human Freedom has a really fast and rhythmic trigger finger.

"Moving images aren't natural.".

You sound like someone from the 20s.
You cannot add yourself to the friends list.
You cannot add yourself to the foes list.
Kshaard
Dodo/
First name: mac5565
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Kshaard »

We're all from the twenties now. Welcome to the new normal.
This is someone's signature.

"I don't like that universe I just created by accident . . ."
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

Kshaard wrote: 3 years ago We're all from the twenties now. Welcome to the new normal.
I have a feeling 21 is going to be a good year.
SirChasm
Just here for the music guessing contests.

Post by SirChasm »

To touch on raocow not killing the snipers, I also assumed the only solution was running past them. I say this mostly because of the relatively brief time between their aiming and firing, so I wouldn't have imagined that in that time you could prepare a grenade, aim properly, and lob one up there, all in the brief time that Sniper McSniperson is readjusting their scope or whatever it is snipers do. If there was, like, a big dumb wall at the end that said "KILL THE SNIPERS, YOU DOOFUS", that'd be a different story.
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Post by tangy »

xnamkcor wrote: really fast and rhythmic trigger finger.
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

I've been playing stuff on mouse and keyboard for years and I still find pressing shift with my pinky incredibly strange-feeling and uncomfortable. Nowadays, if an important control is on shift or ctrl, the first thing I do is re-bind it to something less awkward.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

My take is that CTRL is way worse than shift
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Dark Hunter

Post by Dark Hunter »

Don't worry, raocow, you did the "shoot the gunship with the rockets" part correctly. I think it was mostly by happenstance, but you kept shooting it when it WASN'T firing its gun, which meant it didn't have an opportunity to shoot down your rockets.

Speaking of the gunships, here's another fun story about HL2's development. The gunships are programmed with surprisingly involved AI that causes them to intelligently choose their targets: namely, they will always fire at the most dangerous thing in their field of vision. The player, naturally, is generally the most dangerous threat to them, so the player is almost always singled out.

An unintended consequence of this, though, was the gunship AI decided that rockets fired by the player were an even bigger threat than the player themselves, so it would try to shoot down the rockets, and often did so quite well. This surprised the programmers, as that outcome hadn't been intended. This meant that the playtesters often had to use the guidance laser on the rocket launcher to maneuver the missile in weird ways to avoid the gunship's fire, which they found much more fun than just blasting the gunship, so Valve left that in as a feature.

Other notes:

The ships being beached is meant to imply that the ocean has been drained by a significant degree. One of the things the Combine is doing is draining Earth's oceans. What they need all that salt water for, I'm not sure, but it's meant to emphasize that they do not give the slightest crap about Earth: they're going to strip the planet of useful resources and then leave it to rot.
Falky
Space Mountain, Real World's Champion, WOOOOO etc

Re: Half-Life 2 - Can't wait to get on the raod again!

Post by Falky »

Between Ravenholm and raocow's approach to story, this is just making me want to see him play Dark Souls.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

How about no, Falky
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet

Post by Leet »

Good post
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Petzi

Post by Petzi »

Huh, so raocow DOES have innate trouble paying attention, I thought for sure it was due to years and years of intense Mario let's playing, where all narrative is blocks of text that rarely warrant more than a glance or two.

In any case, that's just the way Half-Life is supposed to be played. They let you keep control of Gordon during the cutscenes precisely so you can cock around at your leisure and pay only the attention that you want.

Also, man, this brings back memories of all the mods I used to play. I wonder if there would be enough people interested to organize a talkhaus play session of Zombie Master or something.
Oui oui. Je suis très jambon.
Donut

Post by Donut »

It's a bit late in the LP to suggest a different control scheme, but if pressing shift with wasd is uncomfortable for raocow, how viable would it be to move everything down a row to a szxc setup? I've never used that myself but it might be easier for raocow. I think HL2 has few enough keys that losing the lower row wouldn't hurt him.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

With what raocow said about "not taking the story seriously" from everything I've seen from Half-Life, while the events themselves present a pretty serious situation, they always seemed to have a dark-humor silly type of undertone. Like, just listen to the screams of the scientists in the first game. The voice direction was obviously goofy. And take the aging technology into account, and the game might present itself to be sillier than it already is.
Doesn't help that I kind of associate Half-Life 2 with Gmod though. lol
ImageImage
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Donut wrote: 3 years ago It's a bit late in the LP to suggest a different control scheme, but if pressing shift with wasd is uncomfortable for raocow, how viable would it be to move everything down a row to a szxc setup?
Depending on his hands and whether he lays his palm flat or uses the "claw" approach, that might work or ESDF might be preferable, but if I know anything about raocow and control schemes he's gonna stick with this one until the end of the game because he didn't change it in the second episode
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

clearly we need a photo of how raocow uses a keyboard, or a handcam :P
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
tirakai

Post by tirakai »

Maybe it's because I can't touch type or grew up playing consoles, but personally I don't like using my pinky for buttons at all, it feels weird no matter how my hand is positioned. Usually I change ctrl-mapped actions to either an extra mouse button or c or v or something so I can press it with my thumb or index finger while moving.

I'd imagine any control scheme would probably still feel a bit odd for raocow though, if it's his first modern shooter.
xnamkcor

Post by xnamkcor »

It's slightly confusing that "Shift" is a key that is part of the car controls. Especially when it's on screen.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Half-Life 2 - Junkyard Wars

Post by ano0maly »

I'm finding the car ride less exciting than the ride on the amphibious boat.

The crane game part, on the other hand, was one of the funniest moments in the game. The scale of what you can move around just keeps getting bigger.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Weapon Facts!

The energy ball from the Combine gun is exactly the same in visuals and sound to the Aperture Science High-Energy Pellet.

The tau cannon on the car was a normal handheld weapon in Half-Life 1 that worked otherwise exactly the same as it does here, except you needed to collect ammo for it like any other gun.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Post by Awoo »

Leet wrote: 3 years ago Weapon Facts!

The tau cannon on the car was a normal handheld weapon in Half-Life 1 that worked otherwise exactly the same as it does here, except you needed to collect ammo for it like any other gun.
It'd also explode in your face if you overcharged it,

funny enough that's pretty much how you first get it in Half Life 1

ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Dark Hunter

Re: Half-Life 2 - the brigde is out

Post by Dark Hunter »

I never really liked the tau cannon in HL1... just use the gluon gun or the rocket launcher; it's more efficient.

Interesting fact about the Combine soldiers: if you're paying attention to their radio chatter, they always refer to things in medical terms. Like one of the soldiers today shouted "Outbreak! Outbreak! Outbreak!" when surprised by Gordon, and they refer to "containing" threats through "cauterization" and "sterilization".

Antlions they call "biologicals" and headcrab zombies they refer to as "necrotics".

raocow, don't be too hard on the Combine soldiers and their combat AI: these are the same guys who thought putting really obvious bright red lights on their grenades was a good idea.
Leet

Post by Leet »

Indeed the combines are color-coded for your convenience: the red+brown ones have shotguns.
MonkeyShrapnel
Poke a Man
First name: Brian

Post by MonkeyShrapnel »

Dark Hunter wrote: 3 years ago I never really liked the tau cannon in HL1... just use the gluon gun or the rocket launcher; it's more efficient.

Interesting fact about the Combine soldiers: if you're paying attention to their radio chatter, they always refer to things in medical terms. Like one of the soldiers today shouted "Outbreak! Outbreak! Outbreak!" when surprised by Gordon, and they refer to "containing" threats through "cauterization" and "sterilization".

Antlions they call "biologicals" and headcrab zombies they refer to as "necrotics".

raocow, don't be too hard on the Combine soldiers and their combat AI: these are the same guys who thought putting really obvious bright red lights on their grenades was a good idea.
Just like with the first Half-Life, they put a lot of work into making very believable dynamic dialogue.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdsgFu5bMvQ

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SindqGenIhk

There's even a bit of unused dialogue for referring to places that you never see any combine at.
Honestly, I'm a sucker for this stuff, I think this kinda thing goes a long way to making it feel like a real world.
Uh...Do I just sign here? What do you mean it should be obvious? There are people in this world...well...a whole lot of people that can't follow basic instructions!

My silly "Collab" Youtube channel https://www.youtube.com/user/Theguyswho ... s/featured
(That means I'm the only person using it nowadays.)