(shouting)

VIP6 - VIP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Re: VIP6 - Kagoshima

Post by Piesonscreations »

Leet wrote: 3 years ago There's something funny about the fact that raocow's fanbase has the exact same "misses/ignores something right in front of them" syndrome with raocow's videos as raocow does with games
Birds of a feather.
ImageImage
helucard

Re: VIP6 - Kagoshima (the Amami islands)

Post by helucard »

The Eyes in the Sky wrote: HOW MANY TIMES DO
WE HAVE TO TEACH YOU
THIS LESSON, GOLD MAN???
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

the real key boss was in our hands all along
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

i still think the first room could've been done by throwing the key on top of the block, like raocow did several times without trying to, and then bopping the block from underneath with the p-switch thus removing the timing element from the puzzle
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
helucard

Re: VIP6 - Okinawa

Post by helucard »

Robbie Golden wrote: Now watch, and learn
my golden flock!

He'll slip and slide
on a donut block!

HA HA HA!!
Robbie Golden wrote: WHAT ARE YOU DOING???
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

you've been bangin' these days wow
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
helucard

Post by helucard »

I dunno, it went over well in discordhaus, so I decided to kinda make it a thing. Dunno how committed I'll be with it, but we'll see :D
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Skye
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Skye »

The title gimmick is things related to the levels shown in each video, but some of them are pretty out there to me (meaning that I don't get them).
1 - snow country: The VIP 6 intro is a paraphrased quote from Yukiguni (Snow Country).
2 - the legend of zelda: (Explanation provided by xfix) Bringing Yoshi to Horse's House gives you a message that says "IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY.", a reference to LoZ.
3 - mid-point and object layers: The first level uses a midpoint creatively. The second level uses object layers creatively.
4 - Agatha Christie: One of the levels is called "And Then There Were None", referencing the novel of the same name by Agatha Christie.
5 - sunshine sketch: Hidamari Mansion uses Hidamari Sketch characters as enemy sprites.
6 - kojima: BFO contains references to the chain store "Kojima".
7 - the sound of music: The level "Edelweiss" references The Sound of Music.
8 - micheal bay: Pearl Harbor had a lot of explosions caused by bombs, and Michael Bay movies have a lot of explosions.
Or, a 100% more likely explanation (provided by FourteenthOrder) is that this is because Michael Bay directed the movie Pearl Harbor.
9 - asparagus: Paragus from DBZ escaping in a one-person escape pod is referenced in the first level. Asparagus is a pun on Paragus.
10 - programming: The first level is named "Error: Switch Not Found".
11 - emotion: The level's name is Rage Athletic. Emphasis on "Rage".
12 - construction standards: The level's name is "The Eight Floor Ghost House", so I'm assuming the video title is referencing the "Eight Floor" part.
13 - wet-dry world: The Waterlogged Citadel's name is based on the Japanese name for Wet-Dry World (Waterlogged City).
14 - geology: The hill of shifting earth is kinda like tectonic plates shifting??? I'm reaching here.
15 - mobile home park: (Explanation provided by FourteenthOrder) The first result for googling "Stardust Hills" is "Stardust Hills Mobile Home Park in Cloverdale, IN".
16 - idiom: "Curiosity Killed the Boon" is based on the idiom "Curiosity killed the cat".
17 - either kid dracula or kirby: The first level references Kirby, the second level references Kid Dracula.
18 - epidermis: (Explanation provided by FourteenthOrder) The textbox in the first level says "These On/Off switches are as sensitive as the skin on your body." The outer layer of skin on your body is the epidermis.
19 - blue switch: It's the blue switch palace.
20 - idiom 2: the linearity of time: "Too early for mankind" is an idiom?
21 - gemstone: The level name is "Amethyst Tunnel". Amethyst is a gemstone.
22 - setsuna no mikiri: "The Blink of an Eye" (Setsuna no Mikiri) is the title of the first level, referencing a Kirby minigame known as "Samurai Kirby" in the west.
23 - rou ningyo no yakata: The title of "Wanna Turn Into a Convenience Store?" is based on Roningyo No Yakata.
24 - psychological state: One of the levels is titled "Mansion of Loneliness". Loneliness is a psychological state.
25 - layer two properties: Trauma Repeats Itself makes use of layer two.
26 - deserts: Frozen desserts level.
27 - humanity: (Explanation suggested by Dragon Fogel) The castle destruction cutscene references Serval talking to Kaban in Kemono Friends, and Kaban is a human.
28 - ■: Black square for the black switch palace?
29 - afterlife: The first level is named "Heaven and Hell".
30 - romance of the three kingdoms: The Battle of Red Cliffs references Romance of the Three Kingdoms.
31 - a.b.a: (Explanation provided by This Eye o' Mine) This one is a bit of a stretch but I'm guessing it refers to the robot character A.B.A from Guilty Gear whose gimmick is that she keeps a key-shaped relic as a spouse. It would fit because the joke in the message box implies that the writer of the message has had relations with the key in the level.
32 - bbc: The level's name is "House of Cards". The miniseries of the same name ran on BBC.
33 - this is fine: Gunshow reference? Dunno what it has to do with the levels, though.
34 - metaphore: No idea.
35 - jules verne: Quest to the Center of the Earth references Journey to the Center of the Earth, which was written by Jules Verne.
36 - trick: the movie 2: The level contains a message box referencing Trick: The Movie 2.
37 - relative space: No idea.
38 - curses: Carnival Night has curses in it, I suppose.
39 - special class: No idea.
39 part2 - special class: class action: I still have no idea.
40 - yoshi's island: One of the rooms uses tiles from Yoshi's Island.
41 - saturday: The Rip Van Fish reskin's name is Saturday?
42 - crystal formations: At the midpoint of the level.
43 - shrimp: The shrimp-riding door (#5).
43.5 - clown car: raocow fights the clown car in this video.
44 - kirby's dream course ∨ final fantasy x: The special world map music is "At Zanarkand" from Final Fantasy X. Dunno about KDC, though.
45 - latestage capitalism: (Explanation provided by FourteenthOrder) Latchkey children exist because their parents need to work hours that prevent them from seeing their children after school, thus capitalism.
45.5 - key fairy: Mentioned in the level, was a thing in La-Mulana.
46 - iterative design process: The level's name is "Frozen Donut Athletic *Ver. D*".
47 - neighborhood ecological concern movement: The level's name is "Go Green", a phrase usually used by environment activists.
48 - notebooks, or books to take notes: The level is named "Boon's Notebook" ("MARIO NOTE" in the Japanese version), and has a notebook aesthetic.
49 - VIP channel on the 2ch image board: Goes without saying.
50 - eastern project: raocow's losing his title creativity.
The level is a reference to "Imperishable Night" (the Touhou game). "Touhou" means "East" in English, so "eastern project".
51 - the pattern on yoshi's eggs: The doors in the level have the same pattern as Yoshi eggs.
52 - the handdrawn backgrounds on yoshi's island: The background of the first room in this video is from Yoshi's Island.
the very bad video that goes between zVIP 6 episodes 52 and 53: Self-explanatory.
53 - warning: The magnet block room should have a warning.
Last edited by Skye 3 years ago, edited 15 times in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Skye wrote: 3 years ago
2 - the legend of zelda: I don't see the LoZ connection.
IT'S A SECRET TO EVERYBODY.
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Re: VIP6 - Chikuma

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

The numbers puzzle in Japanese used a sort of mnemonic system known as 'goro awase', which can be used to represent a multi-digit number as a more easy to remember language phrase. Basically, each number can be represented by the first one or two syllables of one of its names. By 'names' I'm referring to the fact the numbers 1 to 10 in Japanese have both a Chinese-derived and a Japanese-derived way of reading them, plus in practice people also often use the English name, or really just anything they can personally remember. For example, you can render the number '4' into 'shi', (from the Chinese reading 'shi'), 'yo', 'yotsu', 'yottsu' (from Japanese reading 'yottsu' with some liberal manipulation), or 'fo' (from the English 'four'). The idea is that you pick one rendition for each digit of your long number in such a way that the resulting syllables lined up in order spell out a viable word or phrase, which you can memorize easily and then translate the syllables back into digits when you need to know the number again.

In the case of this level, the Japanese phrase was 'shiwa nai jigoku satoro', which was derived like this:

4 - 'shi' - Chinese 'shi'
8 - 'wa' - Chinese 'hachi' (this is a very complicated thing to explain, but the basic idea is that in Japanese the syllables 'ha' and 'wa' have a linguistic history of being sometimes interchangeable)
7 - 'na' - Japanese 'nana'
1 - 'i' - Chinese 'ichi'
2 - 'ji' - Chinese 'ni' (in some compound words read as 'ji' due to historical differences in Chinese dialects)
5 - 'go' - Chinese 'go'
9 - 'ku' - Chinese 'ku'
3 - 'sa' - Chinese 'san'
10 - 'to' - Japanese 'tō'
6 - 'ro' - Chinese 'roku'

The phrase itself is either a reference to something I can't find, or semantic nonsense. The first three parts can be read as a meaningful phrase, but 'satoro' doesn't seem to resemble any word. If you take it to be a name, it could be saying something like "a wrinkle-less hell, Satoro", or "Satoro: the wrinkle-less hell". I'm guessing they just wanted a phrase and didn't worry too much about the entirety of it making sense.

As for the translation, I thought about doing this thing where you make a phrase in which each word in sequence has the amount of letters that the corresponding digit signifies (ex. 4-8-7-1-2-5-9-3-10-6 = "that peculiar feeling a go gives whereupon our benefactor counts"), but that felt a bit too vague and misleading considering how obvious the puzzle would be to a native Japanese speaker, so it seemed fairer to just fit the names for the digits in each word, mixing it up slightly ham-fistedly with recognizable Greek and Latin.
helucard

Post by helucard »

GLaDOSINN wrote: Oh. It's you. It's been a long time. How have you been?
I've been really busy being dead. You know. After you murdered me?
... Okay, look. We both said a lot of things that you're going to regret.
But I think we can put our differences behind us. For science. You monster.
I will say though, that since you went to all the trouble of waking me up, you must really, really love to test.
I love it too.
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Skye wrote: 3 years ago The title gimmick is things related to the levels shown in each video, but some of them are pretty out there to me (meaning that I don't get them).
I can help fill in a couple, at least.
8 - micheal bay: Pearl Harbor had a lot of explosions caused by bombs, and Michael Bay movies have a lot of explosions.
Michael Bay also directed the movie Pearl Harbor.
15 - mobile home park: No idea. I know that the level references SMRPG, but I'm lost on the video title reference.
This is the first result for me googling "Stardust Hill":
18 - epidermis: No idea.
The textbox in the first level reads:
The outer layer of skin on your body is the epidermis.
45 - latestage capitalism: No idea.
Latchkey children exist because their parents need to work hours that prevent them from seeing them after school, thus capitalism.
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

You don't need to always be so hard on yourself about not being able to block clone, it's a frame-perfect trick and can even be ruined by sub-pixel shenanigans I believe. It's done in the SMW speedrun but they use a cape to slow fall so you get 2 frames to hit the clone spot on the block instead of one.
This Eye o' Mine

31 - a.b.a: No idea.
This one is a bit of a stretch but I'm guessing it refers to the robot character A.B.A from Guilty Gear whose gimmick is that she keeps a key-shaped relic as a spouse. It would fit because the joke in the message box implies that the writer of the message has had relations with the key in the level.
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Has any romhack ever used for a level name "A Certain House Athletic" and a sequel to it, "Fall of House Athletic?"
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Dragon Fogel
Master of Pointlessness

Post by Dragon Fogel »

27 - humanity: No idea.
Just taking a quick glance through, this might be in reference to the castle cutscene in that video, which has the line "Like, you ARE an animal after all, huh!"
Click that banner if you like reading words.
Make levels from unused MAGL X names!
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

I could give endless praise to this level. Crossposting from youtube:

This level has to be one of the most brilliant levels ever constructed.
1) An amazing puzzle. Even without the word puzzle, it's quite original to have a puzzle about vines and throw blocks like that (as well as the "preview room" that lets you plan out your moves)
2) Solid design in the VIP6 vine room, which sometimes has saturation of projectiles, but it's satisfying to deal with.
3) The layer2 smash room has lots of really neat setups, like using vines to chop away saws and line guides, and having to time a vine with rising layer 2.
4) The puzzle to get a shortcut to the secret exit involves a really clever use of directional coin blocks.

You don't want the vine to eat the cloud and door, so you block the vine with the directional coins. But the vine just eats through coins, so you hit a P-switch, and the vine stops at the blocks. But when the P-switch runs out, Mario can pass. It's so genius.

I'd honestly be proud to even come up with just 1 of these amazing ideas.
Mosts Awards:
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

This Eye o' Mine wrote: 3 years ago As for the translation, I thought about doing this thing where you make a phrase in which each word in sequence has the amount of letters that the corresponding digit signifies (ex. 4-8-7-1-2-5-9-3-10-6 = "that peculiar feeling a go gives whereupon our benefactor counts"), but that felt a bit too vague and misleading considering how obvious the puzzle would be to a native Japanese speaker, so it seemed fairer to just fit the names for the digits in each word, mixing it up slightly ham-fistedly with recognizable Greek and Latin.
ngl, that's actually immediately what i assumed was the trick in the chosen translation anyway for some reason, even given all the obvious numbers. the fact that the longest number was 9 characters seemed to confirm it.

i was burned by a tricky set of clues on Only Connect once and i've never forgotten it subconsciously

edit: now i'm trying to figure if you could theoretically do both methods at the same time, assuming you can pick any reordering of numbers 1-10 to start with. "I" can luckily work for 1 pretty handily as a roman numeral, 2 can be "do," or if that's not convincing, "bi", 3 = "try," and 4 = just "four", and i figure that's all the tricky parts.
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
This Eye o' Mine

Reecer7 wrote: 3 years ago edit: now i'm trying to figure if you could theoretically do both methods at the same time, assuming you can pick any reordering of numbers 1-10 to start with. "I" can luckily work for 1 pretty handily as a roman numeral, 2 can be "do," or if that's not convincing, "bi", 3 = "try," and 4 = just "four", and i figure that's all the tricky parts.
Slightly dodgy grammar, but this is the best I can get:

I spent four decennials to try creating sceptre-hexing nunneries.
helucard

Re: VIP6 - Kanmon Special City

Post by helucard »

Yoshi will remember this

As a general note: It occurs to me that Yoshi, having written the message box, was the one with Lunar Magic that day. The latter half of the level is ultimately devoted to making sure you don't dump yoshi in a pit. If you don't have a yoshi by the end, you get dumped in a pit. That's some crazy irony huh.

ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageImage
ImageSpin, goopa, spin~
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 4 months ago, edited 2 times in total.

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Is it just me or have the last few levels had more than 5 dragon coins
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Post by AUS »

the part where you're babysitting a shell by hitting it from underneath was kind of neat actually
it really made me think of fiddly nonsense my mind would wander and do during a boring class
it's like, tedious, but sometimes tedium is better than boredom

also what is this music!! it's so mellow!
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist