(shouting)

VIP6 - VIP

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: VIP6 - Fukuoka (the part that used to be Chikugo, rather than Chikuzen and the tiny bit of Bungo which we did yester

Post by raocow »

so I would have been better served to leave the shell at the same place then
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
ft029
m/m wannabe

Re: VIP6 - Fukuoka (the part that used to be Chikugo, rather than Chikuzen and the tiny bit of Bungo which we did yester

Post by ft029 »

I really liked the 2nd, 4th, and 5th DC challenges. They had ideas that were really clever, and executed in an awesome way. It was a great aha moment to see that the brown blocks were snake blocks. I was unaware of the solutions for the 2nd and 4th DCs, and it was fun finding it out together with raocow (although I did think of some improvements, like what nathan mentioned about getting hit while on the moving stair)
Mosts Awards:
The Doctor

Post by The Doctor »

It's always impressive seeing what crazy puzzles people can create from a simple Mario game.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: VIP6 - Oita

Post by Kilgamayan »

I was very surprised by your continued refusal to put the key down when you knew you were going to be standing there doing nothing while waiting for the ceiling to undulate. It may not have been particularly tough to dodge Phanto (and this one seemed especially generous in its inertia), but that just seemed like extra unnecessary risk in a very frustrating part.

Anyway, this level was an absolute blast to watch on the whole, even if select parts were rather unfun to play.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Valentine
[b]the[/b]
Pronouns: she/her
https://valentine.talkhaus.com/

Post by Valentine »

the layer 2 stuff in this level is actually genuinely crazy awesome (even the shell room's pretty cool despite how jank it is honestly)
:trans_pride:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

can't wait for bowser's castle 3 to be a massive level even though two levels were splintered off of it :monstrosity:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
HatKid
If this ain't a flair, then I don't know what is
https://hatkid.talkhaus.com/

Post by HatKid »

Interesting sections today. When I played, I had used savestates so I never even saw some of the sections. Luckily I seemed to have avoided the most jank of them.
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

ooh boy bowser's castle 2 sure is something else
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I'm assuming this is a collab level? I can't imagine the guy who made that cool smasher room is the same guy who made that phanto room that easily breaks and couldn't even be bothered to figure out that lava tiles aren't a good replacement for instakill blocks because they act like water from below. Or maybe he did know that and the idea is you get captured when you're holding the key? I really couldn't tell what was the aim.

Speaking of that smasher room, how does that work? What does that look like in Lunar Magic? My best guess is the layer quickly scrolls horizontally a bit each time it goes above screen
This Eye o' Mine
Pronouns: Nah, I'm good

Post by This Eye o' Mine »

Ashan wrote: 3 years ago Speaking of that smasher room, how does that work? What does that look like in Lunar Magic? My best guess is the layer quickly scrolls horizontally a bit each time it goes above screen
Pretty much. Each screen width has one of the smasher configurations on layer 2, and presumably it invisibly shifts the entirety of the layer by one screen's width each time it goes offscreen.

Incidentally I've just noticed that there's a couple of configurations of blocks after the last one spelling out "最初に戻る!", meaning something like "returning to start!" or "starting over!". It probably means that the layer 2 would loop, or maybe it would completely warp you back to the start of the stage, but I don't think you'd be able reach that point without hacking because the last configuration before the text would just squish you. Haven't tested that though.
ft029
m/m wannabe

Post by ft029 »

That's really interesting. I love that smasher room so much-- it's a concept that I've never seen anywhere else, and the difficulty builds up in a cool way.
Mosts Awards:
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
Pronouns: he/him/his
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

Kilgamayan wrote: 3 years ago I was very surprised by your continued refusal to put the key down when you knew you were going to be standing there doing nothing while waiting for the ceiling to undulate. It may not have been particularly tough to dodge Phanto (and this one seemed especially generous in its inertia), but that just seemed like extra unnecessary risk in a very frustrating part.

Anyway, this level was an absolute blast to watch on the whole, even if select parts were rather unfun to play.
I feel like dropping the key often makes it harder to dodge Phantos. When Phanto is moving fast, you just need to move a tiny bit and it zooms by, unable to turn sharply enough to track you. If you drop the key, it coasts to a stop (often right next to you), and when it starts moving again it's guaranteed to move in the right direction.
Ryrir
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Ryrir »

"Examine the floor near the start."
this is getting laundromatic
Implo

Re: VIP6 - Saga

Post by Implo »

I wonder if message about floor wasn't talking about some secret pipe hidden in the ground that would lead to fishing boo section. I think if it was talking about hidden powerups, it would mention hole, not floor.
raocow

Post by raocow »

oh
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

I remember being so proud beating that whole first half from the beginning. Now I feel stupid.
dont wanna jihad no more
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.
Love is nothing in tennis and everything in life.

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

Oh man it was a Luna Tower Shortcut all along.
S.N.N.

Post by S.N.N. »

if anything, that bgm is fantastic. managed to find the port itself on yt but i couldn't find the original. alas.
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 1 year ago, edited 1 time in total.

Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Skye wrote: 3 years ago
S.N.N. wrote: 3 years ago if anything, that bgm is fantastic. managed to find the port itself on yt but i couldn't find the original. alas.
Link, please?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yfk8YiWTOEQ
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

S.N.N. wrote: 3 years ago if anything, that bgm is fantastic. managed to find the port itself on yt but i couldn't find the original. alas.
EDIT: Pretty sure this is it:

https://youtu.be/sKLOLCtml60?t=3840
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Skye

Post by Skye »

Last edited by Skye 4 months ago, edited 1 time in total.

KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

i like how we picked saga for today (the 11th, it's already the 12th here and i should be in bed, i'm sick again) considering the 11th of july is saga frontier's birthday but also dashcon?

the 12th is popolocrois monogatari aka the one game i won't shut up about
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Nast

Post by Nast »

The framerate in the recent SMW videos seems a bit stutter-y. It's not super obvious but it's especially noticeable below 720p. Compare to another SMW video from February.

Is raocow using a different emulator that doesn't run as smoothly? Or did he change his recording settings?