(shouting)

Vanilla Level Design Contest X - 1he First place entry...well d0ne to all.

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest X - Did Daizo Catch the 'Rona? A talkhaus Investigation

Post by Sugar »

105th: Dolphin Beach by Green Jerry (Luansilva12)
Koopster
DESIGN: 22/50
CREATIVITY: 7/30
AESTHETICS: 11/20
TOTAL SCORE: 40/100

This isn't really a level about dolphins. But there's like, at least 7 or 8 of them, so that's cool. It's not a level about anything in particular, but about what you had in your mind and felt like materialising as a level. Really straight-forward and devoid of innovation, but not offensive in any way. That P-switch trap at the end is kind of adorable.

lolyoshi
DESIGN: 18/50
CREATIVITY: 10/30
AESTHETICS: 11/20
TOTAL SCORE: 39/100

dolphin dolphin dolphin dolphin dolphin dolphin dolphin zzz

Noivern
DESIGN: 21/50
CREATIVITY: 9/30
AESTHETICS: 14/20
TOTAL SCORE: 44/100

It's a great looking level, but that's basically all it's got going for it. The level is a standard romp goes on for too long and with too short a time limit. The second half is really unfocused, with a few sprites that are used once and then never seen again. The dolphin recolor has the unfortunate side-effect of making the blue p-switch (which does nothing and shouldn't have even been there) silver, which confused me into thinking it was an actual silver switch, so I end up blocking off the path in front of me and I had to wait for the timer :/

Also there was the issue I had with the fourth dragon coin, which I just could not collect while big.

Sinc-X
DESIGN: 25/50
AESTHETICS: 16/20
TOTAL SCORE: 50/100

A simple and straightforward, but enjoyable romp. It's nothing new, but what it does it does pretty well. Some of the koopa placements are questionable, being a bit too close to the edge of high jumps. Not much else to comment on, but solid overall.

Rameau's Nephew
DESIGN: 26/50
CREATIVITY: 12/30
AESTHETICS: 13/20
TOTAL SCORE: 51/100

This level was...very OK. And I don't necessarily mean that in a bad way. It doesn't really do anything all that out-of-the-ordinary, and dolphins play less of a factor than one might expect from the title (especially in the latter parts of the level) but it's a reasonably entertaining, competently construction "romp", to use a word I probably shouldn't. The level actually seems to realize it's playing things a little too safe towards the end, and tries to throw in some more daring obstacle, but rather than giving the level a dramatic conclusion of stronger sense of identity, these have the curious effect of making the level seem to lose its focus and flail about somewhat right before the end.

Visually, the level makes no attempt to hide what pieces its decorations are constructed from, which is by no means necessarily a bad thing, and has a certain charm in itself. The Lotus-and-rope palm trees, particularly, made me smile. Palettes are quite pleasing as well. The one element that stood out uncomfortably was the water, which had a peaked wave shape despite being completely immobile, producing an eerie, uncanny effect, as though time were frozen. It gives me the jim-jams just thinking about it.

+ A pleasing romp
+ Fun graphics (except for that water *shudder*)
- Plays things a bit safe
- Loses focus towards the end in its search for identity, trading substance for shadow.

Other: The second-to-last dragon coin is a bit of an (*aherm*) headache to obtain...
104th: Fortress of Decay by KP9000
Koopster
DESIGN: 19/50
CREATIVITY: 20/30
AESTHETICS: 17/20
TOTAL SCORE: 56/100

I want to compliment you so much for the aesthetics, but the foreground and sprites have this weird color!!!
The main path of the level is very unfocused. Even near the end of the level you were still trying to introduce piranhas and boo blocks. A better formula for a level is always picking a few concepts and developing them instead, rather than using every sprite in the tileset for a few screens each (shoutouts to mister fishin' boo that lasts two screens, and quite intrusively at that - if you think it doesn't deserve more than that why use it at all?). Level turned out very rompy and not too memorable. Also, time can run a bit short if you don't die.
I like how the secret exit is hidden. When I entered the dark room, I thought I was seeing a concept where the sparky would show you where the line guide goes, and I thought it was genius, but I was disappointed to see that's not what the room was about - instead it was a quite boring and very standard line guided segment where you make the player take gambles on whether they have to hit the switch or not to get to the right place (and you can't see the lines at all as a bonus). What's worse (or is it?) is how stupidly easy it is to just cheese it and jump to the secret exit when you're taken to the "game over" pipe. Also, I don't think podoboos were a very good choice there for the most part.
Yeah, this level has some issues.

lolyoshi
DESIGN: 16/50
CREATIVITY: 12/30
AESTHETICS: 12/20
TOTAL SCORE: 40/100

You nailed the atmosphere, but visually it's inconsistent. Sometimes it looks bad and sometimes
it looks nice. Gameplay-wise, it's unfocused and all over the place. The secret exit is especially
uninteresting.

Noivern
DESIGN: 16/50
CREATIVITY: 17/30
AESTHETICS: 10/20
TOTAL SCORE: 43/100

This level screams "overdesigned", especially regarding aesthetics. A lot of the sprite graphic changes make no sense whatsoever. The time limit in the normal exit is abysmally low. The secret exit is confusing and I never knew if I was doing anything correctly.

Sinc-X
DESIGN: 9/50
CREATIVITY: 11/30
AESTHETICS: 8/20
TOTAL SCORE: 28/100

There's not much good to say about this level. Most of the sprite placement feels unthoughtful and/or purely irritating, and the distractingly unappealing colors and terrible sprite replacements make this one a chore to get through (the tileset itself is pretty decent but totally overshadowed by that). The platforming doesn't really pose any interesting or fun challenges.

The secret exit is absolutely terrible. Line guides you can hardly see (or, often, not see at all) plus switches with unpredictable outcomes (of which the bad choices mean restarting the ENTIRE THING) make for a completely unfun experience, and the "game over" screen is just another kick in the rear.

Rameau's Nephew
CREATIVITY: 16/30
AESTHETICS: 17/20
TOTAL SCORE: 58/100

Æsthetically, this level is quite striking, with a strong atmosphere and a distinctive visual style. The background, especially, is particularly well done, though it reminds me more of an ancient city than a simple fortress. Some of the sprite changes, in contrast, feel a little more forced, particularly the Thwimp (which is made all the more confusing by its sharing the Boney Beetle graphic swap with the much more destructable Goomba replacements), and making the stompable bullets in to non-stompable-looking flames was also perhaps not the best form of functional communication. But on the whole things look quite nice.

Gameplay-wise, the main path is reasonable solid if not groundbreaking, with a solid mixture of castle and ghosthouse elements with a few other platforms and the like to keep things interesting. The annoyingly placed Fishin' Boo is an unfortunate element; oddly enough, the level seems to realize this and try to compensate by only having it present for a very short time, but this only serves to highlight the fact that it probably shouldn't have been included at all. But otherwise, the main path doesn't give too much to complain about.

The secret exit, on the other hand, feels like a bit of a misstep. Though striking it appearance, it seems largely based around non-marked Podoboos randomly ambushing the player, largely in a line-guided segment (or, towards the end, in a sort-of-blind drop), limiting their ability to react to them. I've played more vexing levels, but this was perhaps not the best idea for a central concept. Getting booted out of the level for randomly taking the wrong path is also a bizarre and arbitrary punishment.

+ Looks pretty neat
+ Pretty competent main path
- Secret path probably a mistake
- A few miscellaneous questionable design choices

Other: People expecting a Donkey-Kong-themed level when hearing this title will be sorely disappointed.
103rd: Aesthetic Land by Stivi (Super Stiviboy)
Koopster
TOTAL SCORE: 58/100

I think this could've looked more vaporwave, it has a lot of purple and yellow but I feel it could've been more "filtered", perhaps some brigther outlines would help you achieve something more faithful. The level looked mostly good, though I'm a bit iffy with the random title screen font floating all about (Peach rescue scene font is better), the randomly scattered black squares in the pits looked kinda ugly and the second room and especially the autoscroller with these glowing outlines didn't look that good. It was rarely defying, other than a thwomp that I couldn't see.
The level design is decent, but it's very lacking of focus. Every room presents new concepts that barely get developed at all. The fourth room is though is very slow and uninteresting. I feel you went more for a nice experience than for level design that stands out, and I'd say you pulled that part off somewhat nicely. But I would really like to see interesting setups in this!

lolyoshi
CREATIVITY: 19/30
TOTAL SCORE: 53/100

CAN YOU FEEL THE OVERALL BLANDNESS OF THIS LEVEL

Noivern
CREATIVITY: 13/30
AESTHETICS: 6/20
TOTAL SCORE: 37/100

Aside from the outside ground palettes, this level is actually kinda ugly. The glowing exanimation is not entirely done in the inside sections (e.g. water and coins) and the floating words in the outside sections do nothing to enhance the level and just look weird. The respriting is random and nonsensical, and I get the impression that you use all sorts of different sprites throughout the level just so you can show off their changed graphics.

The level was unfocused. A lot of things are used once and never seen again. In particular, the slow autoscrolling section with muncher jumps was boring and bogged the whole level down.

Sinc-X
DESIGN: 8/50
AESTHETICS: 0/20
TOTAL SCORE: 17/100

Was this....reeeeeeeeeally necessary? The whole æsthetic meme was fun in the past but it's overstayed its welcome by now, and I don't think there's any better proof than this level, which has to be one of the ugliest I've ever seen. The design is bland and often repetitive while somehow being all over the place at the same time; there's little that draws attention other than the completely headache-inducing visuals (especially the inside section).

Rameau's Nephew
DESIGN: 30/50
CREATIVITY: 18/30
TOTAL SCORE: 64/100

What's impressive about the outdoor sections of this level, at least, is that they manage to look genuinely good despite the fact that the visual style is clearly meant ironically. That's a tricky needle to thread, and these parts of the level, at least, do a skilled job of it. The interior sections, on the other hand, with their muddier palettes and flashing borders, take the joke a little too far, and look gaudy and significantly less pleasant; I think the gag might have honestly worked better if they had resisted this.

Gameplaywise, the level is competent. It doesn't try to do anything too ambitious, but it's never annoying or boring, varies things up a bit in each section, and throws in enough weird little touches to be entertaining and strange without seeming all too excessively wacky. Ultimately it's a joke, but it's a well-executed one designed with care.

+ Mostly looks good despite making fun of a style
+ Honestly pretty weird and fun
- Still ultimately subordinates gameplay to a joke

Other: Pink water -does- have a certain je ne sais quoi, I have to admit.
Last edited by Sugar 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
AUS
Toni#4796
First name: Toni
Pronouns: they/them/their

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest X - Did Daizo Catch the 'Rona? A talkhaus Investigation

Post by AUS »

aestheticland was fuckin' beautiful. loved it. good work
"oh no my best friend was replaced by a evil demon shadow monster"
"argh i am the evil shadow monster demon shadow"
Vip is pronounced "Beep"
nostalgic realtime nitroid let's play playlist
Implo

Post by Implo »

I'm not sure if it helps, but I found on Snes9x forums information about hotkey for exiting Snes9x and that it can be activated via controller. Maybe you accidentally activate this hotkey.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Implo wrote: 4 years ago I'm not sure if it helps, but I found on Snes9x forums information about hotkey for exiting Snes9x and that it can be activated via controller. Maybe you accidentally activate this hotkey.
that would have been interesting, I checked and I got that hotkey disabled, alas
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

I wonder if it's just some interaction with Snes9x itself? I feel like the authors probably tested it on bsnes/higan and POSSIBLY zSNES. Snes9x was always an HLE, and is 22 years old (with the most recent release being a year old). Something among the hacks/workarounds in the architecture probably doesn't work with transitions from Lunar Magic.
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

What could the individual authors have done to cause game crashes in certain emulators? I figured that'd be pretty hard with only the vanilla changes made

2 theories:
- something to do with the tool/method used for music insertion
- something to do with the custom 99 lives version of these hacks you were provided with. Have you tried with non-99 lives versions?
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

I was considering the QOL edit, but I think he was having issues before the edit
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
thatguyif

Post by thatguyif »

Also, y halo thar Macintosh Plus
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sugar

Post by Sugar »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago - something to do with the custom 99 lives version of these hacks you were provided with. Have you tried with non-99 lives versions?
The patch in question changes literally two bytes in a ROM: $009E25 (Amount of lives to start with) and $00A09C (Timer to disable skipping the intro message). It's designed to be as minimal as possible, and unlikely to cause issues. Additionally raocow used it for quite a while starting with episode 3, and it didn't cause issues till now. There were no changes in the ROMs raocow played after episode 3.

Besides, crashing Snes9x is not something you would accidentally do. I do plenty of ASM stuff, and the game crashed a lot for me, never crashing an emulator.
Implo

Post by Implo »

xfix wrote: 4 years ago Besides, crashing Snes9x is not something you would accidentally do. I do plenty of ASM stuff, and the game crashed a lot for me, never crashing an emulator.
Funny you say that. I remember that during VLDCX I downloaded Snes9x and after contest decided to beat SMW without savestates on it. Every time after 15 min of gameplay this emulator would always crash. That's why I don't like this emulator.
Daizo

Post by Daizo »

I didn't catch the 'Rona, I had surgery on my throat to get rid of my cancerous thyroid. But I have returned, now eating almost 23+ pills a day and dealing with gout that has basically faded away now.

Lemme catch up on the series, but thank you for updating the OP for me guys.

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
thatguyif

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest X - Daizo returned, uncorona'd. Case closed.

Post by thatguyif »

Oh shit, get well soon Daizo :kood:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

woah

I'm glad you're doing good now :O
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Shit, dude

Take your time, no rush
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow

Post by raocow »

for the sake of science, I just played through dolphin beach five times on snes9x with my new controllers, no issues. Tried again four more times while recording with dxtory, no issues. Tried to enter Ghostly Laboratory, no issues.
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Dolphin Beach confirmed as raocow's favourite VLDCX level.
Implo

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest X - Have you noticed how much raocow sings/raps in this series? I'd buy an album.

Post by Implo »

Very creative use of moles. I liked this level, though it's demanding. And I disagree with you, raocow, you actually make it look easier than it is.
Sugar

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest X - Have you noticed how much raocow sings/raps in this series? I'd buy an album.

Post by Sugar »

100th: Monty's Hall by MiracleWater
Koopster
DESIGN: 11/50
CREATIVITY: 23/30
AESTHETICS: 14/20
TOTAL SCORE: 48/100

Really wanted to have fun with this.
Let's talk about the two Us: Unecessary and Unfun. This level has a lot of this. Why did that falling chained platform "puzzle" have to exist? It took me several dozen tries to perform everytime. It has absolutely nothing to do with the level. It's not fun to do, it looks "creative" but the novelty wears off when you realise how finicky it is. And even if it wasn't - what's the point?
Feels like the level tries to mimic being a puzzle with a main room that you access several times, but it's absolutely linear. I wouldn't have minded the fact the main room existed if it wasn't so tiring to have to wait for the platform and deal with the moles everytime I died. The comeback from the two midpoints really wears off because of that very unecessary bit. Going through rooms to get a key or a yoshi also. The level could've been made so much more "efficient".
This level suffers a tad from something that a lot of these large gimmicky levels do - being very punishing in the most awkward places. After doing that terrible rolling platform and shell rigamaroll and hopping around with the starman, it's very easy to die from falling in the hole while trying to not kill the last ninji. The final third of the level, with the yoshi, is a much worse example of this - one hit is imminent death, there's not even a nice reset door at the end if you lost your horse but survived.
I feel a lot of the obstacles are quite first try unfriendly, The three eeries in the end of the first room and the footballs and that rushed awkward hop between spikes in the triple platform in the "main" room come to mind.
It really gave me a good first impression, but the level lost a lot of its focus as it went on. It's barely about moles and what they do. The setups gradually become less and less dependent of moles and more and more possible to be easily mimicked without them.

lolyoshi
DESIGN: 38/50
CREATIVITY: 21/30
TOTAL SCORE: 72/100

There were several problems with conveyance in the design, and some didn't feel great. Though the
ideas here are interesting and develop quite a fair bit.

Noivern
DESIGN: 17/50
CREATIVITY: 11/30
AESTHETICS: 9/20
TOTAL SCORE: 37/100

This level was annoying. Reset doors should not be necessary; the reset doors in the puzzle room are necessary because you cannot possibly know you can't kill the Ninjis until after you get to the baby Yoshi. The section where you need to keep Yoshi is easily the hardest part of the level, which is especially annoying because this is the place you would put reset doors if you had to put them anywhere.

And not a single mention of Monty Hall. Sad.

Also a small note, not just to you but whoever is reading: if you're going to use custom music in your level alongside original SMW songs, make sure your custom music isn't comparatively much louder/softer in volume.

Sinc-X
DESIGN: 5/50
TOTAL SCORE: 35/100

There are neat things going on in this one but unfortunately it feels like it would fit the Kaizo contest better than the VLDC--there are so many spots that are way too precise, one after the next, that it's really frustrating to play through. It's a shame that some potentially clever setups are overshadowed by that. There are some real jerk moves in here too; the Ninji room is one example. The æsthetic is decent, but the overall very grey tone gets monotonous very quickly. Overall it's just really not a fun level to play.

Rameau's Nephew
DESIGN: 12/50
CREATIVITY: 18/30
AESTHETICS: 8/20
TOTAL SCORE: 38/100

This level has some interesting touches, but on the whole it's just very unfun to play. The first half is mostly awkward jumps and ambushes, though it does make some interesting use of the wall-bursting Monty Moles' ability to burst walls. I honestly have no idea how the spinning platform and water puzzle is meant to be solved; I assume it's some sort of weird momentum quirk, but I certainly couldn't figure it out and had to jury-rig a really shonky solution. This is followed by a strange and awkward star/Yoshi challenge whose solution doesn't become clear until you've already screwed up, forcing you to repeat the water part again. By this point I was thoroughly done with the level, but it can't help but throw in still one more section, this time based on more award jumps, ambushes, and questionable Yoshi interactions. It's not really as bad as the previous section (though still bad), but by this point the player's patience is wearing pretty thin. I did like the ultimate solution for clearing out the moles which destroy the exit door, which makes things come full-circle again for the conclusion, but this is not nearly enough to compensate for the tedious slog that precedes all this.

+ Interesting use of moles destructive tendencies
- Based largely on ambushes, glitches and awkward jumps
- Quite long and tedious

Other: Remember, kids, it takes more than tile 1F0 to make a quality level.
First name: Violet
Pronouns: she/her

Post by 10204307 »

This level has a lot of neat setups in it, but I think it also suffers from a lack of cohesion at points; the entire room with the blue shell and the star run/Yoshi gambit has nothing to do with the Monty Mole conceit. It feels like the designer had a lot of cool ideas for stuff to do with their level, but was unclear on how to organize them. My favorite part of this level might honestly be the first room, which sets up a pretty cool and novel platforming challenge; my one complaint about that part is that the eerie wall adds an unnecessary layer of difficulty to the introduction of the level. I was hoping that the rest of the level would develop that concept further, but then it segues into all this other stuff that makes it feel more disorganized than it could have been. This is a level that could really shine if it was given more polish.
Daizo

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest X - We've hit 100th now! Also raocow liked the new level

Post by Daizo »

Considering this is 100th place, I feel like we're only getting goods from here.

this might also be the time where judges could've placed "unfun but cool" levels as well, but heh who am I kiddin' this is 3 years old

My YouTube channel - P-Switch... - 100 Rooms of Enemies: The Nightmare Edition
Links above if you want to check 'em out... or not, since these are overlooked.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Re: Vanilla Level Design Contest X - We've hit 100th now! Also raocow liked the new level

Post by Ashan »

I bet the judge's rankings and feedback on a lot of levels would have been really different if there weren't so many entries. When playing a level becomes work and you know that you have another 100+ levels to play after the current one, you're probably gonna get impatient much faster and just want it to be over. I think this level would fit in fairly well in a Vip game.
Sinc-X
uncreative title
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Sinc-X »

for the record i would give this a way higher score if i judged it today. i hated things that were particularly difficult back then but have since come around full circle and am now of the camp that penalizing levels for difficulty alone is unfair. i don't think that level is without flaws, mind you, but it's certainly deserving of a decent score
Le Neveu de Rameau
I'm a hoobsie roller; I got robots in my life
First name: Rameau's Nephew

Post by Le Neveu de Rameau »

Sinc-X wrote: for the record i would give this a way higher score if i judged it today. i hated things that were particularly difficult back then but have since come around full circle and am now of the camp that penalizing levels for difficulty alone is unfair. i don't think that level is without flaws, mind you, but it's certainly deserving of a decent score
For what it's worth, while you have dragged down some level scores here in the lower third (although in many cases, your score deflation is counterbalanced by a corresponding score inflation on lolyoshi's end, so the two of you form a Buddha-like Middle Way in each other's presence) your score in this case doesn't actually deviate all that much from the average (lolyoshi excepted). Even Koopster, who's generally a very big fan of high-difficulty levels featuring creative re-purposing of elements, considers this particular level to be an unfun slog; it does some interesting things in individual setups, but the method of forming a smooth playing experience out the discrete pieces leaves quite a bit to be desired. I'm not surprised this level appealed to raocow; it's definitely within his niche, but raocow's experience is raocow's experience, which is different from, but no more or less valid that any of our own. The key difference, of course, is that raocow keeps a video record of his experience, which we get to share in directly as viewers, in a way that can feel more real in the moment of viewing than our own now-dulled memories of our individual playthroughs three years ago.

An interesting phenomenon, I've noticed--when watching the videos, I find myself largely agreeing with raocow's assessments, and--at least before reading the judging comments--occasionally wonder why we were all so harsh to a particular level which raocow had a good time with. However, if I replay a level, I find my assessments are largely in line with how I rated it three years ago. Because this is my own experience, not another person's with different tastes and a different playstyle experienced second hand.

And that's an important thing to take in to account--tastes and playstyles are manifold, and thus reactions to a level are going to be such as well. That's why we have multiple judges in the first place. And as we move on to the middle third--and even more so once we reach the lower end of the upper third--we're going to increasingly see large divergences in individual judge scores according to what sort of level styles speak to them, how much they value one particular element or approach to level design, or to what degree they see particular flaws to be detrimental to their overall playing experience. And while I may not always agree with all of my fellow judges individual points of critique, I'm definitely glad that we had a diversity of tastes and play styles among the judges in this contest (including grumpy past Sinc-X who hates hard levels and says my beloved avant-garde levels are pointless trash), as this reflects the corresponding diversity among the SMW-playing public, rather than promoting one particular school of design as the definitive best approach.

And the top-ranking levels? Those are precisely the ones that managed to reach across niche boundaries and appeal to all the judges despite these differences in tastes and playstyles. And if there's anything that can be said to be a definitive trait of a "good level", that seems a reasonable choice to me.
Last edited by Le Neveu de Rameau 3 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

I thought this level was quite creative and I probably would have personally ranked it higher myself had I been a judge, but I also have to wholeheartedly agree with Rameau on both points. One, we have to be careful to separate the viewer experience from the playing experience (in both situations). But second, judge diversity is an important aspect of contests and I think it's really valuable to have a good mix of judges so that every level style and difficulty will have equal weight and chance to win (and I think vldcx did a good job with that). Best case scenario, everyone's personal tastes "cancel each other out" and the judging becomes a bit more objective.

About the level, it's quite creative (though we saw similar mole-based shenanigans in HOW DOES MOLES), and the rotating platform bit was very cool. There are certainly some finicky bits, and I think with testing from other players, some things could have been evened out. Either way, this level is years old and it's neat seeing how MiracleWater has improved since then. I think that will be a common theme in this contest, since we're a few years late to the party lol.
morsel/morceau

Post by morsel/morceau »

So, raocow was frightened by an entry that performed the elementary courtesy of giving the player extra chances. Surely we could all lose lives stupidly, or even sensibly, in a quite easy level. The idea that you have to make the level so bland that no one is going to risk spending more than five lives on it has persistently mired this contest. I remember, in one of lolyoshi's streams, there were persons seriously suggesting levels shouldn't have been allowed to provide life farms. Such attitudes are one of the joys of our diverse community.
dont wanna jihad no more