(shouting)

Nachos and Fried Oreos - 6 - Nachos and Fried Oreos

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
MiracleWater

Re: Nachos and Fried Oreos - 6 - Nachos and Fried Oreos

Post by MiracleWater »

Congrats, raocow. That was some very impressive playing.
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)
Pronouns: she/her

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Those last few episodes were SO tense. Thank you so much for playing this, it was a treat.
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

Congratulations raocow for beating this thing. I got a game over here on the last level, and I was wondering if you would make it. Although I feel like I should have been able to beat this, but the day I played this game I just could not play well for some reason. I was considering coming back to this once I felt like I could actually play well, but now that I've watched raocow play the last level to completion I don't think it's something I would enjoy playing.

A lot of this level feels like it was made to eat away at the player's lives while they try to get used to all the new things that appear in this level. Then again, raocow was able to make it through some of these sections pretty easily, even making it to the first midpoint on his first try (not counting yesterday's sneak peek), so I'm starting to think me playing badly may have tainted my opinion of this level. Anyway, I made the same mistake as raocow in thinking Tower of Babel was the last level, and I kind of wish it was the last level because I feel like it would have been a much more satisfying conclusion. Again though, that may just be because I was playing badly.

Although I might not have been too keen about the last level, I still think that overall this hack was pretty great, and I'm happy to have played it.

freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

I feel like Tower of Babel screams 'finale' way more than Heaven's Kitchen did, but that's my only nitpick with this whole game. It was a fun ride and watching raocow defeat and master it has been an amazing experience.
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I was just as shocked to see the whole thing end on a turbo tide segment.

I think throughout this whole thing, more than raocow having to do the whole game over again if he GO'd, I was more concerned with the narrative structure of the LP, but in the end that aspect turned out pretty well! The last few episodes were really starting feeling tense, and I didn't know until we reached the last room that he successfully did it!

I kinda feel like the second-to-last level had more of a finality to it than the actual last level, though I'm not sure if that's just from how raocow ended up going through them. But it once again actually ended up having a decent contribution to the overall LP narrative because I was also assuming yesterday was the last level, and when Mario walked up to an even bigger castle level, it was like just when the hero thinks he won the game announces "this isn't even my final form."
WhimWidget
WhimWhimWhimWhimWhim
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by WhimWidget »

The last stage is nice, but I think most people generally also felt the tower seemed final.
Because from the map, the last stage a very distinguished and large asset on the map, appears to be the highest point of the map.

As a stage, it has a very unique feel.
The height count essentially serves as a count-up towards your distance from the ground, which you assume is a count to the very end. It works very well for that considering the limited lives theme of the game.
The stage makes itself clear its a marathon, with the same visual theme across it.
The lack of dragon coins give a "just go for it" feel.
Finally, the last 100 metres is a clear final stretch in so many ways. The level is just...really climactic.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

This may be because I didn't watch the Celeste LP, but felt like Heaven's Kitchen was more of a final level than Tower of Babel because of how chaotically difficult everything in it was (as opposed to how lawfully difficult most of Tower of Babel was). Though I can easily see an argument being made that Tower of Babel was much more of an endurance test than Heaven's Kitchen, which fits the theme of the LP better. (Also I would much rather not imagine Heaven's Kitchen without checkpoints, hahaha.)

Perhaps one can think of Tower of Babel as Stage Final and Heaven's Kitchen as Extra Stage.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago
Perhaps one can think of Tower of Babel as Stage Final and Heaven's Kitchen as Extra Stage.
Yeah, this is my own view. Probably also because I'm now used to seeing relay levels used as Extra or post-game Stages.
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

please play something other than touhou

yeah i also thought babel was the last stage. overall this whole game felt like a fairer SUPER and that is big mood. it's gotten me off my butt and interested in making a hack similar to nachos, hyper, SUPER, vip, aspe, slurdgery, jump. thanks for that miracle+gbreeze

hope it ends up being worthy of raocow's playing. not for clout, just so he can challenge it.

good job sam ( ^^)b
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

The difficulty selection at the start is great for accessibility, but it's also interesting in that the choice needs to be made carefully. The player will not get a second chance at experiencing the game for the first time, and I think that's a big part of this hack's appeal. The first time through, when you only have a limited amount of tries, the fear of the unknown always keeps you on edge. However, that fear is lost in additional playthroughs because of the knowledge you gained. But I guess that knowledge is required if you want to play the game on Master.

I played this hack about a month ago with the intention of getting all dragon coins and moons. I chose Beginner because I sought a more casual playthrough and the safety net of unlimited lives. Two trouble spots for me were Himeji Castle and the "tar" section of Heaven's Kitchen. In Himeji Castle, the dragon coins were placed in tricky spots and you pretty much can't make any mistakes. In the final level, I just couldn't get a feel for the "tar" section. I kept getting overwhelmed by the baseballs because I was rushing - a mindset I probably wouldn't have had on a higher difficulty.

I enjoyed this LP because like others, I was able to vicariously experience the stress and adrenaline rush of Advanced. On several occasions things were looking dire, but in the end, raocow pulled through. The last couple of videos had memorable moments: the despair in raocow's voice in Tower of Babel when he missed the spin jump, the mood whiplash when he realized that Heaven's Kitchen was the actual final stage, and the on-camera breaks.
MiracleWater wrote: 4 years agoShoutout to morsel who, to my knowledge, is the only one who has beaten the game on Master + Sadistic.
Did Morsel also get all the dragon coins and moons on that playthrough? I would love to see someone do that.

This hack was great, thanks to the authors for making this.
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago This may be because I didn't watch the Celeste LP, but felt like Heaven's Kitchen was more of a final level than Tower of Babel because of how chaotically difficult everything in it was (as opposed to how lawfully difficult most of Tower of Babel was). Though I can easily see an argument being made that Tower of Babel was much more of an endurance test than Heaven's Kitchen, which fits the theme of the LP better. (Also I would much rather not imagine Heaven's Kitchen without checkpoints, hahaha.)

I think the role of Heaven's Kitchen, as a final stage, is to keep piling on the pressure with its new elements. These are all obstacles that would absolutely destroy someone if they lost their cool.
video games
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Nachos and Fried Oreos - 6 - Nachos and Fried Onions

Post by Awoo »

For being a marathon stage, Heaven's Kitchen seems surprisingly forgiving with the abundance of midpoints. If it were a Hyper game, I imagine it'd be much more relentless, but in that case you'd have much better life-farming options.

I hope the next hack has some gourmet options. I'd love unlimited Croque Monsieur and Éclairs, personally :3
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

YOU ARE A SUPER PLAYER!!

Now, the only thing missing for this to be a true last level is a janky boss fight at the end.
ImageImage
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

that or, like, vanilla iggy
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Nachos and Fried Oreos - 6 - Nachos and Fired Oreos

Post by Awoo »

raocow wrote: 4 years ago that or, like, vanilla iggy
How about a Big Boo with exactly 3 blue blocks? nyoro~n
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

I think a vanilla Bowser fight with all the power-ups before it would make sense as a final challenge.
Awoo
~wan~wan

Re: Nachos and Fried Oreos - 6 - Nachos and Fried Cheese

Post by Awoo »

xfix wrote: 4 years ago I think a vanilla Bowser fight with all the power-ups before it would make sense as a final challenge.
Thought he literally just did that before in Super Sig World 38 or what it was :reimuko:
ワンワン
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Re: Nachos and Fried Oreos - 6 - Nachos and Fried Onions

Post by KobaBeach »

Awoo wrote: 4 years ago I hope the next hack has some gourmet options. I'd love unlimited Croque Monsieur and Éclairs, personally :3
oh worm
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Reecer7
Crack is fun and nice and a good time!
https://cro-iba.talkhaus.com/

Post by Reecer7 »

i was really hoping heaven's kitchen would end in a reznor wheel w/ extra obstacles, ngl
call me reecer6, not reecer7, please! gotta maintain that same internet brand. actually i'm cro-iba now, it's cooler
strange bluebird website (check it out for my art!)
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Reznor wheel where the entire floor disintegrates at once after the second bop
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image