(shouting)

Nachos and Fried Oreos - 6 - Nachos and Fried Oreos

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Nachos and Fried Oreos - 6 - Nachos and Fried Oreos

Post by Sugar »

One summer day, a chef challenged Mario to defeat his castle without 'gaming-over' in exchange for unlimited nachos and fried oreos!
Nachos and Fried Oreos - 1 - life profit: 100% - Yoshi's Lodge, The Rainbow Shoe, A Mouthful of Cactus, El Pogo Loco
Nachos and Fried Oreos - 2 - life profit: 70% - The Art of Convection, Iron Toss, Arithmetic Mean
Nachos and Fried Oreos - 3 - life profit: one unit - The Wrap-Scallion, Reelin' in the Blue, Himeji Castle
Nachos and Fried Oreos - 4 - life profit: ?!?! - Seasons of Change, Party in the Pantry, Outdoor Dining
Nachos and Fried Oreos - 5 - life profit: aaaahhhhhh - Seasons of Change [winter mode], ACME Explosives Co., Tower of Babel
Nachos and Fried Oreos - 5a - life profit: sell sell sell
Nachos and Fried Oreos - 6 - regardless of how this goes, this is the FINAL - Heaven's Kitchen
Last edited by Sugar 4 years ago, edited 9 times in total.
Grounder

Re: Nachos and Fried Oreos - 1 - Jellos and Corn Nuts

Post by Grounder »

real life core bonus episode plz
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

How glad are you to reunite with your old friend, the SMW springboard, after so long?
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

How confident of you to choose the hardest available difficulty. Good luck!
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

These "nouns" hack titles kind of annoy me irrationally. Where can you get fried oreos, anyway? I've never heard of this
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

What kind of american monstrosity would Fried Oreos be???
ImageImage
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

Fried Oreos are common "fair" food in the US, and are actually quite delicious, if unhealthy as heck.

But they're real in the States, and I've enjoyed 'em. They're not something you can just get anywhere though, it's very specifically a fair or boardwalk food.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Small town diners in some places in America may also do them as a weird dessert item. Rest assured they are very real, though I have not eaten one before.
Blivsey
forever an obscure pokemons
First name: liv/livvy
https://blivsey.talkhaus.com/

Post by Blivsey »

oh boy i love romhacks with arbitrary rules as to what you can or can not jump on
convenient noise thread for stress-relief purposes
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

see the plan is
when Mario starts eating Nachos and Fried oreos, they're so unhealthy that they'll eat away at the rest of his lives.
video games
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

portuguese fair food: churros (thanks mexico) and waffles
american fair food: fried everything

corn nuts are really good tho plus they remind me of the kwanzaa cake lady

Blivsey wrote: 4 years ago oh boy i love romhacks with arbitrary rules as to what you can or can not jump on
yeah i wish they had little spiny hats
the colors are not enough when it's something like a shy guy

the reds could be little pogo riding anonblocks or whatever the little black blocks are called

meaning no harm towards gbreeze and miraclewater obv <3 they tried their hardest (trying to avoid another jumphalf thread)
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan
The world has become a place
https://ashan.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ashan »

I'm curious if the "beginner" to "expert" difficulty selection is in terms of this game in particular, rather than in terms of SMW like raocow interpreted it. The lives gimmick seems like it should be more of a post-game challenge than the intended first playthrough game mode. If you're trying to learn a level at the end of the game, I don't see what the player is getting out of redoing all the levels they've already beaten just to get another attempt. It seems like a lot of wasting time to me. And it'll be even more apparent if raocow gets a game over in this playthrough, cause he could end up replaying like 45 minutes of earlier levels with zero footage worth showing just to get back to where he started the video at.

Also re: the palette swapped shy guys thing, I don't think that's an issue at all. Remembering what colors mean what is an intentional challenge. You're supposed to be paying attention to that, and it's explicitly stated at the beginning of the level!
Last edited by Ashan 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I hope that if he does game over in the lategame he will be okay with skipping a day of video uploads to get back there. Maybe make a bonus sped up video out of that footage if anything
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

I like the overall "the game is an endurance game" gimmick because it feels like an actual attempt was put in to make the hack a challenge as opposed to any given individual level. To me as a viewer, a victorious outcome feels far less inevitable, which makes the viewing experience much more exciting.

I understand that this sort of difficulty does not appeal to some; since the game states up-front what it's all about, this at least gives people that don't want to play/watch a game such as this the opportunity to bail immediately, with no judgments cast or time wasted.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Ashan wrote: 4 years ago I'm curious if the "beginner" to "expert" difficulty selection is in terms of this game in particular, rather than in terms of SMW like raocow interpreted it. The lives gimmick seems like it should be more of a post-game challenge than the intended first playthrough game mode. If you're trying to learn a level at the end of the game, I don't see what the player is getting out of redoing all the levels they've already beaten just to get another attempt. It seems like a lot of wasting time to me. And it'll be even more apparent if raocow gets a game over in this playthrough, cause he could end up replaying like 45 minutes of earlier levels with zero footage worth showing just to get back to where he started the video at.
Based on the SMWC page, it sounds like it just effects starting lives, and dragon coin/moon reqards.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago How glad are you to reunite with your old friend, the SMW springboard, after so long?
you have no idea
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
Mandew
d'yo
First name: Marc
Pronouns: a person
https://fishingseasontraversal.talkhaus.com/

Post by Mandew »

I think the fact that lives are important in this hack is very significant to the experience.

After playing hacks for a while, most people go through a process where re-doing a lot of things becomes less and less dreadful. This effect essentially curbs a ton of pressure off of said player -- the threat of failure is far lessened because in the end, it's just a matter of time until the video game is beaten. There's no real consequence to failing, aside from having to invest more time. There's no real consequences to doing good, either. Levels are all or nothing -- either you pass, or either you fail.

For expert players, the only the one thing that can tap into the pressure are marathons, and only if the marathon in question is dull.

And then there's this hack. Lives matter. Doing good matters. Failing matters. The gimmick isn't there just for show -- It puts a lot of pressure back into the game. At its core, it can make playing the game a very distinct, perhaps much heavier experience.

I feel that this is something that only amateur mediums such as ROMhacks can "get away with" in this day and age.
video games
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

I understand all this stuff about having a meaningful punishment but I still can't imagine playing through the 1st level for the 18th time, knowing I have 45 minutes ahead of me before I can potentially get back to where I just was and thinking "boy I'm sure having fun"

But anyway, don't take too much from this opinion because obviously there's a mode for people who don't want to deal with that, and also I can't help but admire bold design decisions for what they are
Ditocoaf
Haustone Tournament Finalist
https://ditocoaf.talkhaus.com/

Post by Ditocoaf »

If I played something like this, I'd probably go into it with the attitude that I may not reach the end and that's okay. If I game over 2/3 of the way through, well that's just how my playthrough ended. I think I would really enjoy that experience!
Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.

Post by Voltgloss »

The pressure and stakes here seem akin to playing a roguelike.
Chirei

Post by Chirei »

Voltgloss wrote: 4 years ago The pressure and stakes here seem akin to playing a roguelike.
It is basically a roguelike with one seed only.

I guess it's made for people to mainly take at least one swing at it, and if they wanna go further it's their choice.
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

When you die in a roguelike your next playthrough is an entirely different game though. Plus there's global progression in unlocking new items and whatnot, so even a playthrough where you didn't get to the end was still progress a lot of the time. And hell, the unique experience of every playthrough is fun in itself.

No particular instance of getting back to where you were in this is gonna be memorable, it's just busywork.
raekuul
D&C 112:13
First name: Pokota

Post by raekuul »

Plus there's global progression in unlocking new items and whatnot
what the hell kind of roguelikes have I been playing, then?
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Yeah, tackling this like a roguelike or an oldschool CRPG would work best for this game. I believe a way I'd play is using the beginner mode to practice and get a feel for the levels, then challenge the difficulties for "the real challenge", as it may. It's something that appeals a lot to me in games like SaGa.

Ashan wrote: I understand all this stuff about having a meaningful punishment but I still can't imagine playing through the 1st level for the 18th time, knowing I have 45 minutes ahead of me before I can potentially get back to where I just was and thinking "boy I'm sure having fun"
Ashan wrote: No particular instance of getting back to where you were in this is gonna be memorable, it's just busywork.
That just means it isn't for you. Not to be mean just. Some stuff don't appeal to the widest audience and this is one of those things.

Mandew wrote: I feel that this is something that only amateur mediums such as ROMhacks can "get away with" in this day and age.
I'd say roguelikes and other more """"hardcore"""" genres are accepted to do stuff like this. Sadly they also attract difficulty gatekeepers, which can be seen very prominently in parts of the Souls fanbase.
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Ashan

Post by Ashan »

raekuul wrote: 4 years ago
Plus there's global progression in unlocking new items and whatnot
what the hell kind of roguelikes have I been playing, then?
I was worried talking about roguelikes as a genre with my entire knowledge being based on Isaac would be a mistake, but uhhhh

I think the other points still apply!

And yes no one needs to tell me "it's not for everyone," I have already admitted to this, I'm just saying why it doesn't do much for me