(shouting)

New Super Marisa Land - Squeak for Victory

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Squeak for Victory

Post by raocow »

man I had figured out the thread gimmick since video 1
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
moogy

Post by moogy »

This was one of raocow's most enjoyable LPs in a while for me, even without the Touhou factor. The game as a whole is super cute, the level design manages to be consistently engaging without going full Kaizo, and the pacing isn't bogged down by superfluous text/cutscenes. Definitely sad to see this one end :(
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago Ugh it's been forever since I played Super Marisa Land as Marisa so I had completely forgotten x(
You didn't play the remaster on steam?
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

After very nearly dying to that hidden 1up myself I was wondering how raocow would interact with it, if at all, and it turns out it went exactly as I expected for raocow. Also, you can jump over those crumbling bridges with a full speed jump; after falling to my death I tried letting it run out before crossing the bridges, but once I saw those gigantic pokey towers I realized that you're probably intended to still be giant so you can just plow straight through them.

After all these extra stages is a boss rush, and one thing I like about it, that I can't say I've seen much at all, is that the bosses are actually a bit harder this time. Although it helps that the bosses were pretty easy in their original appearances. I have a feeling if they made some already hard bosses even harder I might not like it so much. After all the other bosses Reimu shows up; she's not too difficult, but she's not super easy either, and nerves can be a factor here at the end of the boss rush. Fortunately when I got to Nue I still had a mushroom in reserve, letting me beat Reimu on my first try.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun with this game, both watching raocow and playing it myself. It's a relatively easy game, and while I do appreciate a good challenge, I can also appreciate something that's more like this. I sometimes see people say that easy games are boring, but for me a game being easy opens the door to doing self imposed challenges; I'm personally considering playing all the levels in this game with the Suwako powerup, but I'd never think of doing something like that with a game I can barely beat in the first place. Anyway, this is one of those rare games where after finishing it I want to play it again right away, so I'd definitely say this game is pretty great.

Grounder

Post by Grounder »

and so with reimu abruptly entering a dirty doujin game, marisa becomes the shrine maiden, yo

tune in next time to see cirno take on old hell and become the fifth deva
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago
Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago Ugh it's been forever since I played Super Marisa Land as Marisa so I had completely forgotten x(
You didn't play the remaster on steam?
I keep forgetting it exists tbh

I'll purchase it some time soon
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

While it's on my mind, another way to support the creators and to get something from this game in particular, is to purchase the digital soundtrack which has been put on pixiv booth. It includes the music from both this game and the original Marisa Land, and also a few arranged tracks: https://booth.pm/en/items/1331551
SAJewers wrote: 4 years ago You didn't play the remaster on steam?
Legacy is not a one-for-one remake of the original and it doesn't have Extra Stages.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

:aliceko:

:sanaeko:

:reimuko:

The trifecta is complete
freshtalk wrote: 4 years ago While it's on my mind, another way to support the creators and to get something from this game in particular, is to purchase the digital soundtrack which has been put on pixiv booth. It includes the music from both this game and the original Marisa Land, and also a few arranged tracks: https://booth.pm/en/items/1331551
I have the physical version of the soundtrack and HIGHLY recommend acquiring the soundtrack in some fashion, the extra arranges at the end of it are all fantastic. They are:

35. Peppy remix arrange of the regular stage theme (this is a fucking BOP)
36. Long version of the SuperMari theme
37: Long version of the mountain level theme (gorgeous)
38: Long version of the final world/PANIC theme
39: Swing remix arrange of the final boss theme
40: Super-chill remix of the main theme

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

Oh geez
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Wow I completely forgot that there was a boss rush before you confront the extra boss. And the boss refights are a bit harder! I think I'll check them out and see what's changed.

Also, maps for the last three worlds:
World 6

I would guess that the path leading down to 8-Extra unlocks once you beat the other 7 extra levels. Which requires completing all of the worlds with all of the red stars. So the last extra level and the extra boss stage really are at the very end in the postgame.

World 7

Worlds 6 and 7 are have compact designs again, after the previous three worlds being more stretched out and taking up more space.

World 8

There's no path connecting world 7 to the large tree in world 8, so if you want to play the endgame stages in world 8 again, you need to beat 7-Boss again.
freshtalk wrote: 4 years ago Just to resolve any curiosities, this is what is inside Marisa's house:
This is neat because now you can bring the mini mushroom and mega mushroom forms into other levels. The caveat, though, is that a single screen transition will make these forms wear off. This means that in any level where you start by entering a door or something, you can't use them at all. (Walking out of this house and out of shops will keep these forms.)
LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 4 years agoI'm personally considering playing all the levels in this game with the Suwako powerup, but I'd never think of doing something like that with a game I can barely beat in the first place.
Please don't try to beat them all like that. That's just not fun. If you want a good challenge that the game seems to be designed around, try getting all 10 red stars at once in every stage. And then you can try the aforementioned challenge of beating bosses with just the powerup abilities.
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

I didn't expect surprise horny at the end of the game.
ImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

the only horny i'll accept is mega marisa and yuugi with muscles flexing and lifting an suv
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago
LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 4 years agoI'm personally considering playing all the levels in this game with the Suwako powerup, but I'd never think of doing something like that with a game I can barely beat in the first place.
Please don't try to beat them all like that. That's just not fun. If you want a good challenge that the game seems to be designed around, try getting all 10 red stars at once in every stage. And then you can try the aforementioned challenge of beating bosses with just the powerup abilities.
I'm aware that trying to beat all of the levels like this is a bad idea, not to mention potentially impossible, which is why I said I'd play all the levels, not beat all the levels. It can't hurt to at least give it a try; if I beat the levels that's great, but I'm not going to bash my head against a brick wall if it's not fun. I do appreciate the concern though.

Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago I didn't expect surprise horny at the end of the game.
I had no idea it was coming, having never gotten that far myself. If I had known it was there I would have said something a long ago. Apologies to everyone that didn't want to see that.

(At least Reimu is an adult I guess?)

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
moogy

Post by moogy »

I would actually love seeing someone try to play every level with Suwako, just to know if it's at all possible, lol.
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

LunarRainbowShyGuy wrote: 4 years ago I'm aware that trying to beat all of the levels like this is a bad idea, not to mention potentially impossible, which is why I said I'd play all the levels, not beat all the levels. It can't hurt to at least give it a try; if I beat the levels that's great, but I'm not going to bash my head against a brick wall if it's not fun. I do appreciate the concern though.

I just replayed the boss marathon level in like a decade, and man it's tough, but it also gives you an adrenaline rush. It becomes quite fun as you tangibly improve, and as you internalize what tactics to use and remember what to do at each step. Bringing powerups that can be used to attack are definitely recommended.

Some tips on how to win:

• How each fight has changed:
    1. She throws more dolls.
    2. Some of the rabbits now have bamboos in the second and third phases.
    3. She moves faster by making larger jumps. This also applies while she is invincible after you jump on her.
    4. The ghost regrows in size faster.
    5. I'm... not sure? Maybe she waits less before leaping.
    6. After each phase an additional object falls from the sky.
    7. Moves faster.
  • Make use of the keystone as a platform. As long as you're standing on it, it won't disappear. It can keep you safely above rabbits (when there's no bamboo) and helps you with some jumps.
  • Unlike with regular enemies, it seems that you don't need the stone to be in motion to damage bosses with it. Just place it like a mine and it will damage if a boss moves into it.
  • For most of the bosses, powerup projectiles deal 1/5 of the damage that the normal way to attack the boss would deal (so 15 hits total if only using projectiles). For bosses 4 and 5, the projectiles need to hit the mushroom on top, not the body.
  • Some bosses, namely 4 and 6, will not change phases if you keep pelting at them with projectiles instead of damaging them the normal way. Bosses 2, 3, and 5 change phases with enough hits, as does the extra boss (although phase change doesn't take effect until a cycle is completed). Boss 1 has no differences between phases and there's no phase change for boss 7.
  • If I use the mega mushroom form to defeat boss 7, I saw that after the screen transition I actually turn back to UFO form (instead of to normal small Marisa like in 7-Boss) for the final fight. The UFO slowly floats down while shooting, and this gets you some free hits on the boss as the battle is starting.
Fakeedit with thoughts about the game:

It's a fun SMB3-like fan game with good sprites and overall artwork, and with just the right amount of difficulty. The Touhou references are sort of dated after all these years, but the overall game still holds up well nearly ten years later.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Post by PSI Ninja »

The devs knew that faceplant death was funny. Every chance they get.

I doubled up on the Reisen powerups for the boss rush for the extra air control. It was nice of them to give complimentary mushrooms after certain bosses. The Youmu refight was probably the hardest for me to not get hit, since the ghost grows really fast after the second hit and you don't have much time to get away, especially if you get cornered. The Nue refight was the scariest, since getting hit by any one of the powerups she throws out is pretty much an instant death, and you have to do the entire boss rush over again. Fortunately, when I ended the Nue refight I landed on a mushroom during the fall downwards, giving me an extra hit for the Reimu fight. Pretty cool boss, but she wasn't very hard.

New Super Marisa Land was really fun to play, and contained lots of solid old school platforming. It is surprisingly well-polished for a fangame. There are some gameplay quirks, such as having to repress the hover button when bonking against the ceiling as Reisen, and how to properly launch yourself into the air as a Yukkuri. Momentum is certainly a thing in this game, and you have to be able to master it. Compared to Super Mario World, it takes more effort to build P speed, and is easy to lose it. Also, it seems like the game is rather strict with hit detection. Unlike SMW, more often than not you tend to take damage when you jump on enemies when you approach at an angle, and you're not able to crest platforms and blocks the way you can in SMW. I know, I keep bringing up SMW, but it's a good baseline for comparison, given raocow's extensive experience with that engine.

At first I found the side portrait art to be distracting, but eventually got so used to it that I forgot it was even there. It doesn't offset the screen too much. The pixel art is crisp, clean, and colorful. The music is excellent and catchy. My favorite piece is probably the mountain theme. The flutes in that song are pretty rockin'.

My least favorite level was 5-Extra, specifically the part where you needed to use the "lava vacuum" item to carve a way out of the block pit. I just couldn't get a feel for that section, especially with the recoil and the fire bar in the way. And of course there's a finicky springboard at the end of the next section with the rising lava, which I died several times to. Interesting how different people struggle with different things, since raocow didn't seem to have much trouble with that stage. Another level I didn't like was 6-Extra, the stage where you had to maneuver Yukkuri Marisa all the way to the end. Here, you had to learn all the subtleties of the Yukkuri controls, all with quick timing since you move rather fast. It ended up being more of a memorization task than anything, and I felt miserable playing it. I can't really say that I have a favorite level - as with most things in life, you tend to remember the bad things more easily.

Here are my final stats screens. Two screens because I beat Nue before Sanae, and I didn't know I was getting sucked into a point of no return (oops). I got into World 7 early via the secret exit in 3-5. The last screen is of 100% completion.
Quite a long post, but I liked the game that much. I probably would have never discovered this gem if it wasn't for this community.

Personal New Super Marisa Land Mosts:

Favorite powerup: Image Least favorite: Image
Cutest: Image Funniest: Image
Most unique: Image
Greatest boss death (three-way tie): :aliceko: :sanaeko: :reimuko: