(shouting)

New Super Marisa Land - Squeak for Victory

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

New Super Marisa Land - Squeak for Victory

Post by Kilgamayan »

This game came out in 2010! It turns 10 years old this August! CAN YOU STAND IT. I remember when the reveal for this game was a big fuckin' deal. Now it's like "oh yeah that game exists and is pretty good".

(I also remember when I was LPing the game and never finished the postgame content. Whoops!)

For those that have not played it but have watched or heard about other Marisa Mario games, this game is several substantial steps up from the original Super Marisa Land and has nothing to do with the Double Clusterfuck that was Super Marisa World. NSMarisaL is more of a Super Mario World kinda game where SMarisaL was more a Super Mario Bros 1 game and SMarisaW is a nearly-endless nightmare.

The "currency" of this game is stars instead of coins (natch). Unlike SMW, these actually serve a purpose; there are shops scattered throughout the game, where you can buy powerups and lives and save your game. Clearly needing to buy saves makes this game Donkey Kong Country 2 and therefore it is the best game ever amirite

Of particular note is that nearly every stage has 10 red stars that are basically the Giant Novelty Dinosaur Head equivalents. IIRC one must collect all 10 red stars in all stages of a particular area to unlock the Extra stage for that area, but someone that has played it more recently than me can perhaps correct me on that if I am wrong. The good news is that one does not need to collect them all in a single run; red stars you've gathered save when you complete a level. (Dying loses them, sadly.) They also have an expected order; if you get, say, the third and seventh red stars, the 3rd and 7th red star icons will light up, which tells you that you're missing the fourth, fifth, and sixth red stars AND that they appeared somewhere in the stage between the third and seventh red stars. It is worth noting that there are fake walls galore in this game, most of which are pretty obvious; Tasofro loves hiding red stars inside them. (You can tell if a wall is real or fake simply by running into it; if it's fake you'll phase right through.)

Some stages have multiple exists, but I don't believe this is marked in any way on the overworld map. You'll know which exit you got based on the balloon color at the end, though; red is normal, blue is secret.

VIDEO LIST

1 - the witch and the mushrooms (Platform Silliness)
2 - the witch and the puppeteer (Hell is Moving Platforms)
3 - the witch and the bamboo forest (Bamboomonium)
4 - the witch and the magic bunny ears (Some Words Are Not Good Lyrics)
5 - the witch and the rabbit milita (Pipe Maze)
6 - the witch and the red ball of fuzz (Copy and Paste Staircase)
7 - the witch and the frog (Harsh Beginnings)
8 - the witch and the castle by the lake (Revenge of the Ice Pond)
9 - the witch and the librarian (Goodbye Forever, Scarlet Devil Mansion)
10 - the witch and the sweet beans (I Just...Don't Know What to Say)
11 - the witch and the winter sphere (Yellow Horse Needs Food)
12 - the witch and the ice themed world (Ice World U.S.A.)
13 - the witch and the gardner (The Witch vs. The Swordsman)
14 - the witch and the wheel of fire (pfffff)
15 - the witch and the bucket (House of Madness and Rodents)
16 - the witch and the nuclear reactor (A Volcano Approaches)
17 - the witch and the raven (There is a Sky Under My Pond)
18 - the witch and the celestial (Mad Mountain Maze Mayhem With Miss Miko Marisa)
19 - the witch and the windy day (Heaven is a Very Sky Place Dangerous)
20 - the witch and the shrine maiden (Hit the Road, World 3)
21 - the witch and the flying saucer (Return of the Sky World)
22 - the witch and the very enthusiastic fairies (7-2-3 is the Worst Level I Have Probably Ever Played, I Mean, SERIOUSLY, Gah)
23 - the witch and the marked increase in difficulty (The World is Suffering)
24 - the witch and the levels that move on their own (This is a War)
25 - the witch and the most powerful being of all gensokyo (Squeak for Victory)
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Grounder

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Post by Grounder »

still waiting on aya the tengu, myself :kood:
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Girls do their best now and are preparing. Please watch warmly until it is ready.

Post by Kilgamayan »

That's what Touhou Double Focus is for!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

If anyone wants to support the dev, be sure to buy MarisaLand Legacy off the Steam Store

https://store.steampowered.com/app/9615 ... nd_Legacy/
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

Since raocow posted the link to this in the last Crash video, now this is the new Crash Bandicoot thread.
ImageImage
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Since raocow posted the link to this in the last Crash video, now this is the new Crash Bandicoot thread.
bring on bad wumpa
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

rao-senpai noticed me :oops:

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
the death of the incredible huge
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily
https://raocow.talkhaus.com/

Post by raocow »

Piesonscreations wrote: 4 years ago Since raocow posted the link to this in the last Crash video, now this is the new Crash Bandicoot thread.
I'm not sure how I managed to do this
the chillaxest of dragonsImage
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

raocow wrote:
Blame it on your birthday

Happy birthday, by the way :pal:
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow
Location: maybe the Wizards are the most complex, and the sales guys are up their daily

Post by raocow »

not until tomorrow !!
oh wait it's probably the 4th already in some places huh
thatguyif
Pronouns: We Are The 99%

Post by thatguyif »

Eh, close enough (:

Any plans for your birthday other than the usual recordings?
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
raocow

Post by raocow »

gonna go see my tax person for my taxes HECK YEAH

also my mother is taking me out for dinner
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago(You can tell if a wall is real or fake simply by running into it; if it's fake you'll phase right through.)
Well that's what a fake wall is :mishi:

To add to what Kilga explained:

I would say this game is actually closer to Super Mario Bros. 3.

There's no midpoints anywhere, and the stages are relatively short to compensate for that.

Interestingly, it is possible to get all of the red stars in a single run of each of the levels. And in most cases, you can do this with what you're given in the level without mandating outside powerups. It's not something required, but I find it to be a good challenge run.

And as for the bosses, you can damage them the intended way or use powerup items. Try beating each boss without landing any hits with the intended non-powerup method - it's a pretty tough challenge.

Unfortunately, I don't think the game tells you whether you got all the exits. And I don't have a definite map that shows a completed overworld. So I can only go off of what I think is a completed game with all the exits I could find.
raocow wrote: 4 years ago
Maybe you could use some nice big BAGS OF ICE for your head
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

no super marisa world is great, even though i haven't revisited it since i first watched raocow play it when i was first getting into raocow, i'm sure it's great,
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Post by Kilgamayan »

I mean, I love Super Marisa World to death, and it is definitely better than given credit for (I maintain to this day that it has a non-trivial volume of exceedingly clever level design), but I would have to go back and play it again this many years later before I would feel at all confident considering the possibility that it might qualify as "good".
ano0maly wrote: 4 years ago
Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago(You can tell if a wall is real or fake simply by running into it; if it's fake you'll phase right through.)
Well that's what a fake wall is
I made sure to put it that way to differentiate it from a fake wall you have to destroy somehow, like in Zelda games (among many others).

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

That would be a real breakable wall and not a fake wall that isn't actually one

I like Super Marisa World too, because even when its level design wasn't the best it was still clever with its references.
AmeijinMayo
Ready to go, count zero!

Post by AmeijinMayo »

Alright, I'm ready. I think I'm ready. Well, I'm excited to be ready for this.
Streaming: Super Robot Wars Z, The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Koi-Koi Wars
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

I wanted to make a post in this forum after a long time just to say that I was gobsmacked by seeing raocow was playing this. New Super Marisa Land is honestly one of my favourite touhou fangames and I even came close to 100%ing it not too long ago, so it's actually still super fresh in my mind. I hope raocow enjoys it a fraction as much as I did.
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

For reference RE Marisa Land since he mentioned it:

It's good, but yeah, it's quite short.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Platform Silliness

Post by Kilgamayan »

General gameplay tips:

* Your house unlocks after beating the main game. You also can't go to the left from it despite there being a path graphic.
* The crystal ball P-switches create bonus stars and platforms and occasionally reveal hidden things. They don't toggle stars and platforms with each other, though.
* You can hold a maximum of 999 stars at once. When you get close to that number, you might as well hit up the nearest shop and buy a handful of 1UPs, because shops are the only way to get rid of stars.
* You can jump on the shopkeeper's head. This is unnecessary but generically amusing.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

Image FUCK YEAH GROUND LEVEL FOR THE TOEHOE SHITPILE Image
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
Piesonscreations
First name: Gon

Post by Piesonscreations »

Happy bithday raocow!

The music in the cave areas is really mario party-y, I dig it.
ImageImage
Katazuki
wawa
Pronouns: whomst

Post by Katazuki »

Happy birthday mister cow!

Anyways yeah I always wondered why you never played this game all the way back then when it was new, but here it is now! Wow! The original Super Marisa Land is much more basic, but honestly was a pretty fun time as well. I think it'd be a great game to play after a harder LP.

Who has the most?
moogy

Post by moogy »

If anyone was wondering, this is the shop and this is the first world.

There isn't really any other text in this video that raocow didn't figure out for himself, it's all basic gameplay stuff. (The text on the pause screen is just explaining the controls and actions they're associated with)

Glad to see raocow playing Touhou again, it's been a while. I doubt there will be much Deep Lore to post about but I'll chime in if there's anything Japanese-related that warrants an explanation or footnote.
Taigiry

Post by Taigiry »

Touhou is how I found raocow many years ago, so seeing him go back to it after a long time is pretty nostalgic. Definitely excited for this LP.

Also Happy Birthday raocow.