(shouting)

New Super Marisa Land - Squeak for Victory

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
PSI Ninja
https://psininja.talkhaus.com/

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Pipe Maze

Post by PSI Ninja »

These bosses die so unceremoniously, I love it.

Just started playing this game and I already made it to the middle of World 3. Really fun, old school platforming so far, it was hard to stop. How do you restrain yourself on a daily basis, raocow?
strongbadman

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Pipe Maze

Post by strongbadman »

So yeah, you can totally jump chain all the tewis in the boss fight and get lives that way, I think about 9 if you do it right. It's not too big a deal since saving exists and stars are pretty easy to come by, but this seems like the best life farm in the game thus far
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Copy and Paste Staircase

Post by Kilgamayan »

Possibly lost on someone that did not play it; the tracks in today's levels are directly pulled from the original Super Marisa Land.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Post by LunarRainbowShyGuy »

As I mentioned yesterday, I didn't have a huge amount of difficulty with these extra stages, although there was one part in the world 1 extra stage that gave me a lot of trouble. Specifically, the jump right after where the hidden 1up is. At first I didn't think there was enough room to build up speed to make that jump, and so I brought an enemy there and bounced off it to get up there, only to find that you need it later. It took me a bit to figure out that you can actually just do that jump. In my defence I still wasn't 100% familiar with the controls when I played it.

BobisOnlyBob
Mythical Quadruped

Post by BobisOnlyBob »

I think doing these now was definitely the right call, they were basically harder elaborations on the themes of World 1 and World 2 respectively (core platforming and getting lost in mazes).
ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

Yeah but the B-sides were saved until later

From the way it was posted "don't watch tomorrow's video please" I thought it was going to be a trainwreck episode
Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

I am disappointed by the easiness of the extra stage and will never watch you again cowman!!!!!!
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

I love the track in 1-Extra. I believe it was used in the autoscrolling A2MT Touhou level.

I encountered a glitch involving the switches while I was playing 2-Extra. Spoilered in case it impacts future gameplay.

If you press a second switch before the first switch's timer expires, the blue star trail will disappear. Then when the second timer runs out, the trail will reappear and persist. This makes it trivial to do the "maze" portion of the level. This glitch must be known, it's easy to stumble upon.

moogy

Post by moogy »

Suwako Marisa is very good
Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
Pronouns: she/her
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

YES! More pictures of marisa powerups!
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Harsh Beginnings

Post by Kilgamayan »

Make sure you spend some time on land with Suwarisa ducking and moving around while ducking!

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

I almost forgot about this level with the flying fish-fairies. I ended up just inching my way forward through most of this stage; fortunately it's pretty short, so there's plenty of time to do so.

Also, the Suwako powerup is here, and it's pretty great. Being able to zoom around wherever you want underwater feels really fun. I also really like the side portrait for this one. And while the controls on land can be awkward, I think the way Marisa hops around is pretty cute.

Piesonscreations
First name: Gon
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Piesonscreations »

very cute frog swimming at incredibly high speeds.
ImageImage
PSI Ninja

Post by PSI Ninja »

Cute how Suwako Marisa sticks out her little twig leg when she jumps.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Revenge of the Ice Pond

Post by Kilgamayan »

Completely forgot 3-6 was a thing. Should have saved Copy and Paste Staircase! Oh well.

I am about 85% sure there was a missed secret exit in one of today's levels, as I recall there being

a shortcut that skips multiple worlds and goes straight to UFOTown

in this area. It's been a very long time since I played this game, though, so I could very well be mistaken!

Maybe I'll review my gameplay videos to double-check.

Fake edit: Nope, yep, remembered correctly. There was a missed secret exit today. Go me!

No hints from me beyond a suggestion to review today's video.

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

Early on I mentioned that I once threw my reserve powerup into a pit because I wasn't used to the way Marisa throws it. That was only partially true; the real reason is that I wasn't used to the way Marisa throws her powerup while underwater, but I didn't want to ruin the surprise. I already thought that Marisa throws her powerups pretty far, but when she's underwater she just HURLS them; the first time I tried to get my reserve powerup while underwater, I ended up throwing it into a pit in a way very similar to raocow.

Watching raocow fall in the first pit in 3-5 twice in a row gave me a good chuckle. The only other thing I have to say about this level is that you can get those red stars on the high platforms without the bunny powerup; a full speed jump gives just enough distance to reach the one tile wide platform, than another will take you to the next one.

I didn't mention this yesterday, but another thing I like about the Suwako powerup is that it's treated as just an ordinary powerup, unlike the frog suit in Super Mario Bros. 3, where it's so rare I barely have an opinion on it because I never use it.

ano0maly
Discord User

Post by ano0maly »

I believe the frog suit here is always able to jump at height & distance you normally get at top speed when out of water. Quite unwieldly otherwise for land.
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Personally, I just brought the Super Miko Balls to destroy the jugglers as soon as they came on screen. That power-up in general just helps make the boat ride a lot smoother as a whole.

Anyhow, I kinda wished the Scarlet Devil Mansion stage just went all out in the MegaMari reference. Bring back a music track from that game, have one of the mushrooms appear just like the big yellow ones from that game, etc.

I mentioned in a spoiler tag before that I recall there only being one level with a secret exit that leads to a level that cannot be otherwise gotten to.

The secret was in the boat level in today's very video!!

Leet
Well, hello, Smith ( ´-`)ノ
First name: Chie Arale
https://leet.talkhaus.com/

Post by Leet »

I thought it was weird that Patchouli was the boss of the SDM instead of Sakuya or Remilia. I thought maybe the bosses are all Marisa's girlfriends, but that wouldn't explain Tewi - who is an even weirder choice, why not Reisen at least!?
Well it is a decent hack but sometime its just too repetitif there no level that actually pop in your face and your like oh yeah that level they all ressemble themselves and just monster along the way.
Blood Ghoul wrote:Sometimes it seems my blood spurts out in gobs, as if it were a fountain's pulsing sobs. I clearly hear it mutter as it goes yet cannot find the wound from which it flows. Before I met you, baby, I didn't know what I was missing.
freshtalk

Post by freshtalk »

Leet wrote: 4 years ago I thought it was weird that Patchouli was the boss of the SDM instead of Sakuya or Remilia. I thought maybe the bosses are all Marisa's girlfriends, but that wouldn't explain Tewi - who is an even weirder choice, why not Reisen at least!?
You don't know that Tewi isn't one of Marisa's girlfriends.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer

Re: New Super Marisa Land - Goodbye Forever, Scarlet Devil Mansion

Post by Kilgamayan »

IIRC The kanji in the level name indicate that it is specifically the library rather than the entire SDM.

@raoguy: Would you like some sort of heavily-spoiler-tagged guide to levels with secret exits, maybe?

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
LunarRainbowShyGuy

The hidden red star raocow had trouble finding in the first stage is definitely one of those things that seems obvious only when you already know where it is, which just made watching raocow look around so close to the right place even more maddening. Then again, I could have had just as much trouble if I didn't get lucky and have a yin-yang ball bounce up there.

The boat level can certainly be difficult with all the enemies raining down on you from above. I think I was lucky enough to beat it on my first try, although by the end I was barely scraping by. I like the way Komachi just slides off the boat at the end of the level.

Voltgloss
Ask, and you shall be given. Think, and you shall find.
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by Voltgloss »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago @raoguy: Would you like some sort of heavily-spoiler-tagged guide to levels with secret exits, maybe?
My suggestion would be to wait until

post-game

, and then provide only a list of level numbers with unfound secret exits - the equivalent of making them red dots on the map.

I suggest waiting for later so that (1) raocow doesn't need to worry about secret exits for now, while still being able to discover them naturally unaided as he goes; (2)

he has the ability to start-select while searching for outstanding secret exits post-game

; and (3)

1-4's secret exit is just frankly aggravating unless you have access to a certain late-game powerup.

Jolpengammler
The Friendly Dog
Pronouns: he/him

Post by Jolpengammler »

That Patchouli Boss is
"Ban all the facial hair from life." ~ Horikawa Otane, 2014
"i always run up and down the stairs because i want to die" ~Isocitration, 2016
FourteenthOrder
(zeal on discord)

Post by FourteenthOrder »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago IIRC The kanji in the level name indicate that it is specifically the library rather than the entire SDM.
This is the case, yes.