(shouting)

Super SIG World 38 - Sleep In....Goodness

this is the place where lps are being talked about. it's important to talk about games being played on the internet.
ano0maly
Discord User

Re: Super SIG World 38 - Slowly Improving Gem

Post by ano0maly »

False marketing at its greatest :ehh:
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

KobaBeach wrote: 4 years ago Every multiple of 10 is also a best-of compilation hack featuring levels from the 9 previous SIGs.
must be pretty short then
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

AND I'LL STEAL YOUR SOUL! :twisted:

ImageImageImage
KobaBeach
screw it lion time. we are so f***ing back
First name: David (evil)
Pronouns: he/they
https://koba.talkhaus.com/

Post by KobaBeach »

10 worlds

edit: i actually checked and all of the 10 multiples are 10 worlds long with like 9 levels each
Image #1 mega cd enjoyer AND "making fun of"-er Image
MaGL Patch Collection / vg backlog spreadsheet / animu list / mcmangos / steam
Image Image
oogggghhhh games aren't art Fuck You Roger Ebert *kills him with a hamemr*
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Re: Super SIG World 38 - Sixty Iterations of "Grassland"

Post by AuraLancer »

This hack doesn't stand a chance after the last one
tangy
🍊
Pronouns: any

Re: Super SIG World 38 - Sixty Iterations of "Grassland"

Post by tangy »

Code: Select all

Super SIG WORLD 38...
           SMBX 38a...
           YUMP 38...
what a horrible set of coincidences
raocow wrote:I am being shot at, and I am being advertised petrol at the same time. We must be in America.
AlchemistHohenheim

Re: Super SIG World 38 - Stealthily Inserting Goals

Post by AlchemistHohenheim »

This sure is a hack that exists.

No disrespect meant to the creator, but I think it says a lot that my first reaction to a lot of these levels so far is "this sure feels like an edit of *insert existing SMW level here*".
AuraLancer
AKA Uncle Aura

Post by AuraLancer »

I dunno about dessert, but Cincinnati is known for chili with cinnamon/cocoa
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

This hack is growing on me. It's a little bland compared to what we usually see but I get a sense of heart from it. It's like a nice sugar cookie, in that I usually want chocolate chip cookies, but I like sugar perfectly fine and sometimes that's what I want. The same can be said here. It's a nice palette cleanser between all the other, usually much harder SMW hacks we see raocow tackle. And the levels have definitely been getting better since world 1. I thought the secret exit puzzle in the ghost house was clever enough, since you're on a timer having to find the key, while also obscuring the key amidst all the other ? blocks.
gbreeze

Post by gbreeze »

I greatly respect SIG for living his best life and making 38 vanillaish hacks because he feels like it. And if he wants to make 38 more the exact same way, by all mean, if it makes him happy, I say go for it.

I personally enjoy quite a few aspects of this hack. The aesthetics are appealing to me for some reason, I like the vanilla and custom bg mix-mash that he does well. The SIG's don't usually try to be unique or creative; this is a hack full of romps, but I think SIG does romps quite well. If that is your sort of thing, I'm sure you'll find it enjoyable.
LatexHydra

Post by LatexHydra »

What if he's just making these hacks as the buildup to the big punchline, of Super Sig World 64 being a Mario 64 rom hack. Maybe he saw the "wHat Happened to MaRio 1 thru 63" memes that some people do and wanted to make it a real thing
raekuul
2 Nephi 2:25-27
First name: Pokota
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by raekuul »

AuraLancer wrote: 4 years ago I dunno about dessert, but Cincinnati is known for chili with cinnamon/cocoa
And our money pit shiny new street car, but mostly the weird chili that either you hate absolutely or you love at first bite.

(Seriously, the stuff's like pineapple-on-pizza levels of polarizing).

I wonder how much it would cost me to ship raocow a tub of the stuff. (Not the canned stuff, the canned stuff is terribad).
Games Beaten In 2020, 2021, 2022, 2023, 2024
Grounder

Re: Super SIG World 38 - Surprisingly, Isn't Garbage

Post by Grounder »

if there was ever to be a rao lp cancelled due to shere apathy on the part of everyone, i feel like this would end up being a contender

super sig world 38: It Exists TM
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
Crow
famous knife crow thumbnail responsibility holder
First name: Crow
Pronouns: she/they/it

Post by Crow »

I haven't watched any of this one because I couldn't imagine the 38th entry of any game series being remotely any good

The thread suggests I am right
i've honestly never played a video game in my life
Sugar
Pronouns: fae/faer

Post by Sugar »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago I haven't watched any of this one because I couldn't imagine the 38th entry of any game series being remotely any good

I haven't read any of post of this thread because I couldn't imagine the 38th post of any thread being remotely any good

The post suggests I am right

... jokes aside, I kinda like what SIG Worlds are doing. Sure, traditional level design is very unpopular these days, but I appreciate what SIG was trying to do with SMW-like design. I would say it's one of best traditional level design ROM hacks, which is also its biggest flaw by modern standards.

That said, even in this video, there are some creative level concepts. A submerged forest with flying Koopas sounds pretty cool, but it probably feels better to play than to watch.
Last edited by Sugar 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
FPzero
Resident SMW Central Admin

Post by FPzero »

Cyril wrote: 4 years ago I haven't watched any of this one because I couldn't imagine the 38th entry of any game series being remotely any good

wow, quality brag here, maybe you can do us a favor while you're not watching the vids and also not post in the thread for the vids you're not watching?
eltiolavara9
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arVDPAVX8bE
First name: hi

Post by eltiolavara9 »

you know what? i thought this hack was incredibly lame at first, but it has its charm
..also i'm getting some heavy 2008 vibes which helps
hi
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Lukewarm take: This hack is perfectly fine, this community has simply been spoiled by the chocolate outputs it itself is capable of
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Alice
Pronouns: Girl person

Post by Alice »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years agoLukewarm take: This hack is perfectly fine, this community has simply been spoiled by the chocolate outputs it itself is capable of
This. I seriously don't get the complaints. Last I checked people around here love SMW and this hack is basically an extension to that. I really see no issues at all with the hack so far and wouldn't mind seeing some of the others played.
Grounder

Post by Grounder »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago
Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years agoLukewarm take: This hack is perfectly fine, this community has simply been spoiled by the chocolate outputs it itself is capable of
This. I seriously don't get the complaints. Last I checked people around here love SMW and this hack is basically an extension to that. I really see no issues at all with the hack so far and wouldn't mind seeing some of the others played.
There is nothing new or even genuinely interesting going on. There's nothing awful to gawk at. It's not notably good, it's not notably bad, it's notably bland. It merely exists. If you just really want SMW action, you could certainly do far worse, but there is just nothing here that shows a spark of inspiration of any sort. And there's 37 by the same author that are just the same.
Why don't you eat me?

I am perfectly tasty...

ImageImageImage
SAJewers
ASMBXT Level Wrangler/A2XT Project Coordinator /AAT Level Designer

Post by SAJewers »

Kilgamayan wrote: 4 years ago Lukewarm take: This hack is perfectly fine, this community has simply been spoiled by the chocolate outputs it itself is capable of
thirded.
ImageImageImageImageImage | Image | Image
Sharenite | RetroAchievements | NameMC | IGDB
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

Alice wrote: 4 years ago This. I seriously don't get the complaints. Last I checked people around here love SMW and this hack is basically an extension to that. I really see no issues at all with the hack so far and wouldn't mind seeing some of the others played.
honestly? i feel like our love with smw is kinda grandfather'd in. that's kinda the thing with a lot of older mario games, they suffer from being the baseline that so many other, more interesting games built off of, so stripped off their context of that baseline they just come across as ... basic. good, yes, but still very basic

so since this hacks is basically just "more smw," it's ... more basic platformer. except since it builds directly off of smw, the bits of pizzass that smw had don't carry over, because ... well, smw already did it in exactly the same way. the hack isn't actually adding anything, it's just doing exactly what smw did

although that's probably not giving smw nearly enough credit. for as many levels in smw that just sort of looked the same as other levels, there's still plenty of landmarks from smw levels that stand out in my memory. like, that one vertical cave secret level, or the water mushroominess of yoshi's island 4, or that gridmaze of turn blocks, or the "running on sinking layer 2 before it disappears into the lava" sequence, or the castle in the black void with molten rocks serving at the interior background, or the castle with bobbing layer 2 with a bunch of sparkies and hot heads. the only real moment that's stuck out to me from this hack was the ghost house where you drop down from a higher level with a key, and that's mostly just because it was cute

i mean, granted. it's not totally bereft of stuff that's unique compared to smw. it's just ... totally bereft of stuff that's unique compared to smw hacking. smb3 goombas in levels with smb3 graphics are certainly new to smw, yeah, but i've seen this all before anyway. done more cohesively, even, without mixing graphics from smb3 nes and snes

and, even with all that said, i feel like the main reason people are so "eh" about this is that ... this is sig world 38. there are 37 sig worlds that are presumably the exact same deal, but worse. it's just kinda stunning, and also basically just on its own writes jokes like "well no wonder all these levels are basically filler." if this was just some random hack not attached to a series, or was just like #2 in a series, the reception would probably be exactly identical but with far less people commenting on it

which i guess means the 38 is ultimately to its benefit, because this topic could easily be a one-pager otherwise. hm
StrikeForcer
Pronouns: he/him/his

Post by StrikeForcer »

and, even with all that said, i feel like the main reason people are so "eh" about this is that ... this is sig world 38. there are 37 sig worlds that are presumably the exact same deal, but worse. it's just kinda stunning, and also basically just on its own writes jokes like "well no wonder all these levels are basically filler." if this was just some random hack not attached to a series, or was just like #2 in a series, the reception would probably be exactly identical but with far less people commenting on it
or maybe that with hacks like MICE, JUMP1/2, VLDCs since 9 and modern Kaizo hacks focusing on one way of dealing with obstacles and discrete separation of gimmick separation via screen-scrolling pipes, people aren't wowed by hacks that have a more traditional Nintendo-styled level design that have multiple ways of clearing obstacles that generally are rather accessible to a variety of players. I don't buy the whole SIG released 30+ hacks over a span of a decade being the issue there because 10 years is enough to get good at level design. Not everyone has to design levels that conform to whats in vogue and that's something that should be kept in mind, in spite of Sturgeon's Revelation being generally true across the board.
Last edited by StrikeForcer 4 years ago, edited 1 time in total.
Kilgamayan
Happy Birthday, Schwer
First name: Rabi~En~Roll

Post by Kilgamayan »

Yeah, like, not every hack needs to be JUMPIntegrate[1-x, {x, 0, 1}]. Romps and romp-adjacents have their place in the romhacking world; that they do not appeal to a good chunk of this userbase doesn't change that.
Image Please interact Image

Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Image Image
Matt is me
[color=#FFD700]Forum codes don't work here...[/color]

Post by Matt is me »

For the record, my title today was going to be "Still Isn't Garbage", implying it's been pretty decent this whole time, but the tone of the thread up to then convinced me to change the S to "Surprisingly"...still, I'm not gonna speak to much ill of it in the title 'cause I am legitimately enjoying it. Never gonna win my vote for 'best rom hack', but it's a good watch.

(Word of caution though, very very soon my titles are gonna make no sense, because coming up with a relevant new meaning of SIG everyday is harder than I thought it'd be.)
Arctangent
squawky
Pronouns: she/her

Post by Arctangent »

StrikeForcer wrote: 4 years ago stuff
i mean yeah but it's absolutely incredible that someone effectively made the same thing like 2920 times ( plus or minus some given variable hack lengths and whatever levels within those hacks he decided to do something more experimental with ) and still went "hm yes, i believe i will do it 80 more times"

that's honestly just amazing devotion to sticking to a single style, even considering that romp-y levels tend to basically be the level design equivalent of doodling whatever's in your heart. it absolutely feels like some punchline, which pretty clearly garners more of a reaction than just some standard ol' romp hack ... even if it barely garners reactions that a standard ol' romp hack would get